Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought it might be interesting, for those who don't have any travel restrictions, to see what its like in Ireland at the moment. We are in Level 5 restriction, and we are not allowed further than 5km from our home for non essential reasons. There are Police checkpoints on the highways checking why people are travelling. You can only travel for an essential reason, such as work, medical appointment, caring for a relative, food shopping, funeral etc etc.

This is a website which you show you how far you can travel for a non essential reason such as going for a walk or other exercise. https://2kmfromhome.com/ It should open up to your location and then you just drag the pin to where your home is and the red circle will show you the 5km radius.

I have a US passport and permanent residence in Canada. I can come and go as I please.
That would allow you to enter back into Canada at any time but doesn't relieve you of the mandatory quarantine requirements unless you are some class of essential worker. I understand there are many medical professionals that live on our side and work in the States. Are you keeping yourself isolated for 14 days upon your return to Ontario? I'm unclear on exactly what you're trying to tell us. :confused3

I just thought it might be interesting, for those who don't have any travel restrictions, to see what its like in Ireland at the moment. We are in Level 5 restriction, and we are not allowed further than 5km from our home for non essential reasons. There are Police checkpoints on the highways checking why people are travelling. You can only travel for an essential reason, such as work, medical appointment, caring for a relative, food shopping, funeral etc etc.

This is a website which you show you how far you can travel for a non essential reason such as going for a walk or other exercise. https://2kmfromhome.com/ It should open up to your location and then you just drag the pin to where your home is and the red circle will show you the 5km radius.
That would be a real drag (and practically unenforceable here) but the exemptions are such that one could manage, if they had to. Where I was confused when you initially mentioned it was the work issue. There's barely anyone here in this sprawling city that lives within 5km of their work places. There are also so many roads it wouldn't be possible to do more than set up random check-stops; manning all the routes to monitor compliance just couldn't happen.

In terms of masks, in Victoria anybody over 12 has to wear a mask whenever you leave the house. You don’t have to wear it if you are in your own car with only members of your household but do if you’re driving for work purposes (e.g. my sister is a social worker and has to wear one if transporting clients). You also don’t have to wear one if doing strenuous exercise (e.g. running or cycling), although must have one with you. While we are just coming out of winter, most parts of the state don’t get that cold that it hasn’t been an issue with masks freezing on faces! Not looking forward to dealing with them on days over 40 degrees Celsius though!

There is a fantastic woman on Twitter (MaddyLove2018) who everyday provides a graph showing our numbers and how different restrictions/easing impact on them. The green section shows the effect that adding compulsory masks (on top of stage 3 restrictions) had on our case numbers; it definitely seemed to make a difference!
View attachment 534570

As far as other restrictions, we can only leave the house for work or education (but only certain industries and you require a permit), to shop for essential supplies (but only food stores, pharmacies, bottle shops, post offices are open), for medical care or caregiving, to exercise or outdoor recreation (within 25km with maximum of 10 people from 2 households).

We were hoping for some announcements today on retail and restaurants, but they wanted to get in some more results on a cluster in the northern suburbs first after a couple of higher days of 7 cases :mad: (our 14 day average is below 5). Apparently the tests they were waiting on have so far all come back negative, so hopefully things should re-open after next week at the latest. We had a long weekend this weekend and have another one next weekend (sort of - the public holiday is on Tuesday so many people take the Monday off too) so I suspect they won’t drop the 25km limit until after then. After that I’ll hopefully be able to see my aunt!
That is one busy graph and I confess to not really being able to interpret what it's saying. Since the lines and dots are going downwards toward the right, I'll assume it's good news. :goodvibes I'm also assuming that "bottle shops" are what we would call liquor stores? I find it interesting that even under the strictest levels of lock-down, liquor stores (and in Canada the marijuana retailers) are considered essential services.

That would be a real drag (and practically unenforceable here) but the exemptions are such that one could manage, if they had to. Where I was confused when you initially mentioned it was the work issue. There's barely anyone here in this sprawling city that lives within 5km of their work places. There are also so many roads it wouldn't be possible to do more than set up random check-stops; manning all the routes to monitor compliance just couldn't happen.

Basically if you need to drive further than 5 km for entertainment, exercise, to socialize with friends or family, to go to a park or the beach or other social area you can't. In the cities and towns its easier to manage, but in Ireland we have whats called Policing By Consent, similar to what you have in Canada. In for something like this, Irish people are mostly compliant and will follow whats being asked. Of course there are a minority who wont, who will lie at the checkpoints and find loopholes and ways around things. It was funny during the first lockdown in March / April, the Police caught many people involved with organized crime such as drug dealers as the general public stayed at home those who were out and about were being stopped by Police.

They have also added to the Police numbers by using all the students from the Police college. All the students are now getting 6 weeks work experience to help with all the extra work.

That is one busy graph and I confess to not really being able to interpret what it's saying. Since the lines and dots are going downwards toward the right, I'll assume it's good news. :goodvibes I'm also assuming that "bottle shops" are what we would call liquor stores? I find it interesting that even under the strictest levels of lock-down, liquor stores (and in Canada the marijuana retailers) are considered essential services.
I always found it odd as well, but it was explained to me that they’re considered essential because so many people deal with alcohol addiction. They don’t want people detoxing on their own and unwillingly. Marijuana dispensaries = medical since so many use it for medical purposes.

I always found it odd as well, but it was explained to me that they’re considered essential because so many people deal with alcohol addiction. They don’t want people detoxing on their own and unwillingly. Marijuana dispensaries = medical since so many use it for medical purposes.

The same in Ireland. Bars which served food were allowed to reopen but bars who didn't stayed closed. This created a huge demand for alcohol from liquor stores and supermarkets as people shifted to drinking at home. This in turn lead to community spread and huge clusters, as young people had house parties and older people had family gatherings.

Many analysists and public opinion is that the sale of alcohol should be limited, that liquor stores should be closed. The Irish Government have not considered this, as they do not want the hospital system to have to deal with the health issues of people who have alcohol dependencies.

Yes, I must admit it took me awhile to understand it! But now I await her analysis on the numbers everyday. And yes, numbers are looking good...today there are a lot of happy Victorians (and not just because the netball, AFL and NRL premiership cups are all coming back to Vic):
99C1BB98-6BE8-4533-9514-C1110D63CD64.jpeg

We are expecting an announcement today about retail and hospitality re-opening. We were told it was going to be next Monday, then we were told there would be an announcement yesterday about bringing it forward, then they ‘hit the pause button’ on the announcement yesterday because of concerns about a cluster...a lot of us are unimpressed with aspects of the government’s management of this.

And again yes, bottle shops are liquor stores...and are most definitely essential, even to the experts! A few months ago Professor Peter Doherty, who is a Nobel Prize winner, expert in the immune system and viruses and the namesake of a top research institute, accidentally tweeted his apparent attempt to find out the opening hours of a major liquor store chain in fantastic 2020 fashion!

Wow.

Thank you for sharing the information BadPinkTink.

What is the reaction of most of the country?

I'm unclear on exactly what you're trying to tell us. :confused3

Annette, what is wrong with you? Why are you so slow?

The cat is trying to reveal how special he is, obviously. :laughing:

I know I'm not the poster you were replying to, but the way it worked in Melbourne was that most businesses were closed or on a work from home only basis and you had to have a permit issued by your employer to go to work. My family is actually probably a good example of the different ways it could work. My mother works in a pharmacy, so her permit allowed her to attend her workplace during her usual hours. My sister is a social worker so her permit allowed her to travel anywhere (including regional Victoria) as required for her work (as it would be impossible to list all the locations that she might need to go to). I am a lawyer so was only allowed to leave the house for work under very limited exemptions (today is only the second time I have been to my office) and need to get a permit issued each time. My mum has never been stopped on her way to work. My sister has been, but I think mainly when crossing into regional Vic.

The biggest annoyance is that under the rules people had to shop within 5km from home, not their place of work. That meant that my mum was not meant to buy anything from her workplace after work or stop at the supermarket that she drives past on the way home; that has been the only rule that we have broken!

Sorry for posting so much, but I just wanted to give a quick update on Melbourne...we are officially coming out of lockdown! From 11:59pm on Tuesday night (remembering it's Monday afternoon here) retail and hospitality can re-open (with limits on numbers) and we will be allowed visitors to our homes (although the exact details on that is coming tomorrow). The 25km limit is staying in place until 11:59pm on Sunday 8 November (as expected, they want to keep it for the upcoming public holiday), but after that the 'ring of steel' keeping Melbourne separated from regional Victoria will also be dropped. As our Premier would say, NOW is the time to 'get on the beers' :drinking1(a cocktail for me though, thanks!).

Sorry for posting so much, but I just wanted to give a quick update on Melbourne...we are officially coming out of lockdown! From 11:59pm on Tuesday night (remembering it's Monday afternoon here) retail and hospitality can re-open (with limits on numbers) and we will be allowed visitors to our homes (although the exact details on that is coming tomorrow). The 25km limit is staying in place until 11:59pm on Sunday 8 November (as expected, they want to keep it for the upcoming public holiday), but after that the 'ring of steel' keeping Melbourne separated from regional Victoria will also be dropped. As our Premier would say, NOW is the time to 'get on the beers' :drinking1(a cocktail for me though, thanks!).

Congratulations!! :)

What wonderful news. Enjoy!

Wow.

Thank you for sharing the information BadPinkTink.

What is the reaction of most of the country?

People don't like it, but mostly everyone is staying in their 5km. There would be a lot of social pressure, so in a way it makes things easier. However, the rule about not having visitors in your house is not liked either. I listen to a morning radio talkshow and many people rang in and said that they would stay in the 5km but would still visit their family. Irish people have big families and most people live in the same area as their family so socializing with family is a big thing.

Oh wow, thats great news. One of my work colleagues has family in Melbourne so Ive been kinda following whats been happening :)

This^

I'm new to navigating Medicinal CBD Oil use. I'll be ordering online, but understand those choosing a more personal purchase.

People don't like it, but mostly everyone is staying in their 5km. There would be a lot of social pressure, so in a way it makes things easier. However, the rule about not having visitors in your house is not liked either. I listen to a morning radio talkshow and many people rang in and said that they would stay in the 5km but would still visit their family. Irish people have big families and most people live in the same area as their family so socializing with family is a big thing.

Oh wow, thats great news. One of my work colleagues has family in Melbourne so Ive been kinda following whats been happening :)

This Canadian Irish heritage senior understands the pain of not visiting family. Mine for the most part are in Western Canada and in Newfoundland, but we are choosing NOT TO. We miss them dearly.

As well we have not seen our Dgds a new teen and a pre teen whom live only 30 minutes away since March. It hurts, it sucks, but it is a decision our Ds and our Ddil have made because of his work.

Last edited:
This Canadian Irish heritage senior understands the pain of not visiting family, but we are choosing NOT TO. We miss them dearly we have not seen our Dgds a new teen and pre teen whom live only 30 minutes away since March. It hurts, it socks, but it is taken in advisement.

totally understand, my mom has not seen my sister and my niece since February as they live in England. We have zero sympathy for the rule breakers who continue to visit family, cos they can't bare to be apart for a few weeks.

This Canadian Irish heritage senior understands the pain of not visiting family, but we are choosing NOT TO. We miss them dearly we have not seen our Dgds a new teen and pre teen whom live only 30 minutes away since March. It hurts, it socks, but it is taken in advisement.
Just for clarity, while your approach is respectable, there is no official prohibition anywhere in Canada of private gatherings within mandated guidelines. (For example, here is it 6 people or less indoors at private locations, providing the venue size allows for 2m personal distancing. There is no official limit on the number of persons who can meet outdoors with mandatory distancing.) It's not quite the same for our friends in Ireland and Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter