Covid Tests before boarding

Do international passengers (Canada) still have to test a few days before the cruise as well as the day of the cruise. We will be in the parks for the week before. We are fully vaccinated and have our boosters. Also do they do covid testing before getting off the ship before heading to the airport, we will be heading home after the cruise.
My understanding is no for international as they are now accepting all forms of vaccination approved in Canada.
No, you’ll need to arrange private testing somewhere (possible MCO)

Do international passengers (Canada) still have to test a few days before the cruise as well as the day of the cruise. We will be in the parks for the week before. We are fully vaccinated and have our boosters. Also do they do covid testing before getting off the ship before heading to the airport, we will be heading home after the cruise.
Your vaccine should be accepted by SafePassage. So that avoids the testing pre-cruise unless you need a test for flying to the US. All passengers must do the test at embarkation, unless they are excused with a 90-day recovery letter.

At this time, DCL is only testing non-vaccinated (young kids) before debarkation. They are not offering onboard testing for travel post-cruise. MCO has testing options available for a cost.

Thankyou for your responses. Right now we do have to test before flying into the US. So we will need to figure out the testing before flying home at MCO. The trip isn't until November so who knows what the rules will be by then and what the covid situation will be like, hopefully gone.

Your vaccine should be accepted by SafePassage. So that avoids the testing pre-cruise unless you need a test for flying to the US. All passengers must do the test at embarkation, unless they are excused with a 90-day recovery letter.

At this time, DCL is only testing non-vaccinated (young kids) before debarkation. They are not offering onboard testing for travel post-cruise. MCO has testing options available for a cost.

Hi, I'm new to this and have never cruised before so I'm a little confused--what's the difference (or I guess the benefit?) of being exempt from "testing pre-cruise" if you still have to test at embarkation? Isn't embarkation pre-cruise too? I thought being vaccinated meant no pre-cruise testing at all but it seems that's not the case. My son and I just got over Covid and our cruise is a little over 90 days away, so we won't be exempt from the embarkation test. To clarify, what's the best approach for testing to maximize the chances of getting on on embarkation day? Thanks!! EDIT: In case it's relevant, going on a 3-day cruise my in-laws booked on April 15th. My MIL's email this week said we are exempt from embarkation day testing if vaccinated, so just trying to sort it out. Thanks!

Last edited:
My MIL's email this week said we are exempt from embarkation day testing if vaccinated, so just trying to sort it out.
If you are cruising on DCL, your MIL is mistaken. DCL tests everyone at the port, regardless of vaccination status. The only exemption for embarkation testing is for those who have tested positive for Covid within 11-90 days prior to embarkation because a prior (recovered) covid diagnosis could still pop a positive up to 90 days later -- hence the exemption with appropriate documentation. DCL requires all passengers age 5+ to be fully vaccinated - the vaccination status doesn't exempt from testing. Those under age 5 must have 2 tests prior to boarding -- one taken up to 3 days prior and the one at port that DCL administers to all guests.

Hi, I'm new to this and have never cruised before so I'm a little confused--what's the difference (or I guess the benefit?) of being exempt from "testing pre-cruise" if you still have to test at embarkation? Isn't embarkation pre-cruise too? I thought being vaccinated meant no pre-cruise testing at all but it seems that's not the case. My son and I just got over Covid and our cruise is a little over 90 days away, so we won't be exempt from the embarkation test. To clarify, what's the best approach for testing to maximize the chances of getting on on embarkation day? Thanks!!
Yes vaccinated still need at port testing. I do feel it is still a benefit because when there are test shortages it can be very hard to get PCR appointments with the 3-day turnaround at home or near the port if you are flying down early.

You can always test again at 89 days and see if it still comes up positive and then go for a doctor’s note. If not then I recommenddoing an at-home test at home a day or two before to make sure you are not positive before traveling to port.

Yes vaccinated still need at port testing. I do feel it is still a benefit because when there are test shortages it can be very hard to get PCR appointments with the 3-day turnaround at home or near the port if you are flying down early.

You can always test again at 89 days and see if it still comes up positive and then go for a doctor’s note. If not then I recommenddoing an at-home test at home a day or two before to make sure you are not positive before traveling to port.

okay thanks! I guess i was wondering if i should test now, and if still positive, could get a letter now that covers us. Our cruise at this point is technically 84 days from now. I’m just already worrying about the day of test; cannot imagine my son’s face if we’re turned away!

okay thanks! I guess i was wondering if i should test now, and if still positive, could get a letter now that covers us. Our cruise at this point is technically 84 days from now. I’m just already worrying about the day of test; cannot imagine my son’s face if we’re turned away!

I can't stress this enough. If PCR testing is available in your area for free, test early and often.

I can't stress this enough. If PCR testing is available in your area for free, test early and often.
Hmm okay thanks. I’m not the biggest fan of regular PCR testing for vaxxed people (unless there are symptoms) and an overly sensitive PCR test could wreak havoc on my kids’ attendance. What a pain, argh. But good to know of this issue. We’ll definitely get PCR tested 2 weeks before i guess.

Hmm okay thanks. I’m not the biggest fan of regular PCR testing for vaxxed people (unless there are symptoms) and an overly sensitive PCR test could wreak havoc on my kids’ attendance. What a pain, argh. But good to know of this issue. We’ll definitely get PCR tested 2 weeks before i guess.

I agree, but you have a variant at work that can cause vaccinated people to test positive and feel completely asymptomatic. If you weren't going on a cruise that will deny you at the port if you still test positive 3 weeks after you had an asymptomatic infection, it's best to just get tested and get the doctor's note to lessen the stress at the port.

I agree, but you have a variant at work that can cause vaccinated people to test positive and feel completely asymptomatic. If you weren't going on a cruise that will deny you at the port if you still test positive 3 weeks after you had an asymptomatic infection, it's best to just get tested and get the doctor's note to lessen the stress at the port.
Thanks, I’ll have to think about it more I guess. I and my 8yo have just recovered from Covid but my 6yo and husband never tested positive. Just not sure about regularly dealing with a PCR for a fully vaxxed 6yo since a misleading result there would result in a lot of missed school. I guess I almost rather miss the 3 day cruise if need be. Ugh what a pain! But thanks so much again for the input.

We’ll definitely get PCR tested 2 weeks before i guess.
I would just be aware that if you were ill a couple of weeks ago, recently recovered, and your cruise isn't for another 2 months... if you wait to test 2 weeks before the cruise will your doctor have any issue writing a "recovered" note? Mine would, that's why I mention it. May be better to get a "recovered" note now, shortly after the illness.

Just not sure about regularly dealing with a PCR for a fully vaxxed 6yo since a misleading result there would result in a lot of missed school.
If you are hesitant to test now, I would at least suggest a PCR test just before you travel. That way if someone happens to test positive--asymptomatic or weird positive due to prior infection--you know before you get to port. Disappointing the kids is easier to handle on your 'home turf'.

We tested 15 days before embarkation and will test again 3 days before embarkation and possibly taking a rapid test before our flight plan. I would much rather cancel things at home in my jammies.

But all of this is dependent on where you live. My area just saw omicron peak and our school district does not make close contacts quarantine if contact occurred in school.

If you are hesitant to test now, I would at least suggest a PCR test just before you travel. That way if someone happens to test positive--asymptomatic or weird positive due to prior infection--you know before you get to port. Disappointing the kids is easier to handle on your 'home turf'.

We tested 15 days before embarkation and will test again 3 days before embarkation and possibly taking a rapid test before our flight plan. I would much rather cancel things at home in my jammies.

But all of this is dependent on where you live. My area just saw omicron peak and our school district does not make close contacts quarantine if contact occurred in school.

thanks! Yes that’s much more doable. I was just surprised at the “PCR as frequently as possible” suggestion because that has zero appeal to me. I’m in NYC and we also just got through our peak and close contacts don’t have to quarantine, but if my 6yo gets a positive PCR test, that would be different and would trigger a whole thing. And to clarify for anyone who may be confused by my hesitance, it’s not like I’m against testing; we relied on home tests regularly and they caught my son’s and my infection—I just think PCRs are particularly ill-suited for random asymptomatic testing of vaxxed people. if you’re exposed after being vaxxed, the vaccine isn’t like a laser that destroys the virus immediately—it can take a bit for the immune response to kick in and cause the virus to fizzle out (for cases where you don’t actually become infectious after exposure). But the PCR could still flash positive during this even if multiple subsequent rapid tests stay negative and your body ultimately tamps it down. So that’s why I’m all “ugh” about this; just don’t want my kids to needlessly miss more school. But i will do so 2-3 weeks out because i agree that i don’t want to be surprised by anything and I get that a cruise gets to be as conservative as possible re: testing.

I'm confused as to what type of test is given at the port. Is it a PCR rapid test or a PCR Lab test?

I'm confused as to what type of test is given at the port. Is it a PCR rapid test or a PCR Lab test?
It’s a PCR Rapid Test. Essentially the lab equipment is onsite at the port. It is run by Inspire Diagnostics.

It’s a PCR Rapid Test. Essentially the lab equipment is onsite at the port. It is run by Inspire Diagnostics.

Right, the reason other PCR tests people are used to take so long is they stay at the testing site for the day, then get shipped to a central lab with the equipment, where a bunch of other testing sites have taken their samples to as well, so there's a backlog to how quick you can run the sample through the equipment, hence the delay.

The only people who can sail and be unvaccinated right now are people 4 years and younger. DCL requires vaccinations for everyone 5 and older, no exceptions. For those 4 and younger, the kids need to test 1 -3 days before the cruise as well as at the port. Everyone needs to test at the port in a rapid PCR, which can be performed pretty quick, in 30 -45 minutes with the right equipment.

Does this apply to children under 4 years old who are in the recovery phase as well? I've read wording in some places that SafePassage has said you'll be able to embark if you're fully vaccinated, have had Covid in the past 90-days, and have a letter from your doctors saying you're cleared to travel. Not sure if children under 4 can embark with 2 out of 3 of the requirements.

thanks! Yes that’s much more doable. I was just surprised at the “PCR as frequently as possible” suggestion because that has zero appeal to me. I’m in NYC and we also just got through our peak and close contacts don’t have to quarantine, but if my 6yo gets a positive PCR test, that would be different and would trigger a whole thing. And to clarify for anyone who may be confused by my hesitance, it’s not like I’m against testing; we relied on home tests regularly and they caught my son’s and my infection—I just think PCRs are particularly ill-suited for random asymptomatic testing of vaxxed people. if you’re exposed after being vaxxed, the vaccine isn’t like a laser that destroys the virus immediately—it can take a bit for the immune response to kick in and cause the virus to fizzle out (for cases where you don’t actually become infectious after exposure). But the PCR could still flash positive during this even if multiple subsequent rapid tests stay negative and your body ultimately tamps it down.
The bolded part of your comment is why people are recommending regular pre-cruise PCR testing. If you get Covid unknowingly, PCR is much more likely to catch it. And if it's more than a couple of weeks before your cruise, you can then get a doctor's note stating that you've recovered & can travel, and submit that to Safe Passage to be allowed to board the ship. If you only periodically use less-sensitive rapid tests & don't catch your infection, then you might test positive via the PCR test they administer at the port, even though that positive is likely from the old infection. With no documentation about your recovery on file with Safe Passage, you would be denied boarding. It's much better to catch it yourself, ahead of time, while you can still preserve your ability to board the ship.

ETA: This is about testing, not vaccination, which is still required for age 5+ no matter what.

Last edited:
My understanding from Safe Passage is the 90 day recovery and letter gets everyone out of testing, even those younger than 5 for both the 3 day prior and the day of testing. It doesn't get you out of being vaccinated if you're 5 or over, however.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter