Covid Tests before boarding

Does this apply to children under 4 years old who are in the recovery phase as well? I've read wording in some places that SafePassage has said you'll be able to embark if you're fully vaccinated, have had Covid in the past 90-days, and have a letter from your doctors saying you're cleared to travel. Not sure if children under 4 can embark with 2 out of 3 of the requirements.

Honestly, if you have questions, call them. A live person picked up in less than 30 seconds when I called and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

Honestly, if you have questions, call them. A live person picked up in less than 30 seconds when I called and they were very helpful and knowledgeable.

That is good advice! Was it just on the DCL Safe Passage "Contact Us" page? We actually just got COVID this week, so still recovering, but I do want to get the doctor's note sooner rather than later, but who knows, everything could change again in the next 3 months.

thanks! Yes that’s much more doable. I was just surprised at the “PCR as frequently as possible” suggestion because that has zero appeal to me. I’m in NYC and we also just got through our peak and close contacts don’t have to quarantine, but if my 6yo gets a positive PCR test, that would be different and would trigger a whole thing. And to clarify for anyone who may be confused by my hesitance, it’s not like I’m against testing; we relied on home tests regularly and they caught my son’s and my infection—I just think PCRs are particularly ill-suited for random asymptomatic testing of vaxxed people. if you’re exposed after being vaxxed, the vaccine isn’t like a laser that destroys the virus immediately—it can take a bit for the immune response to kick in and cause the virus to fizzle out (for cases where you don’t actually become infectious after exposure). But the PCR could still flash positive during this even if multiple subsequent rapid tests stay negative and your body ultimately tamps it down. So that’s why I’m all “ugh” about this; just don’t want my kids to needlessly miss more school. But i will do so 2-3 weeks out because i agree that i don’t want to be surprised by anything and I get that a cruise gets to be as conservative as possible re: testing.

We don't have a cruise planned and won't plan one until testing at the port is no longer required. I share similar concerns as you do about just randomly taking PCR tests without having symptoms. If you take a test two weeks before a cruise and its positive how do you know its from an old infection and not a current infection especially if you don't remember ever being sick? PCR tests are sensitive enough to catch early infections before a rapid antigen test might especially if you don't have symptoms. I doubt my doctor would agree to write a note saying it was an old infection.

I do think its smart to test before leaving if you have to travel a long way and don't want to risk getting stuck in FL or wherever the cruise is leaving from.

It goes without saying that there are a lot of risks these days to doing any trips or activities that require testing and I don't blame anyone for sitting it out until such a time that we don't have to worry about pre-travel testing.

Haven't combed through all of this thread yet. Myself and my wife tested positive just outside of the 90 day window, so we are going to get another test and see if we are still positive now that we are within 90 days. My 8 month old was sick the same time as us. He obviously is not vaccinated because of his age. If we get a positive test on him within the 90 days, would he also be exempt from testing at the port and possibly even the 1-3 days prior?

For the testing done at the port before boarding the ship, do the passengers put the swab in their own noses or does a technician put it in your nose? My kids are ok doing the test on themselves, but have a hard time when someone else wants to stick it in their nose. We will be boarding next week in Miami.

You do it under supervision. They'll guide you step by step and do the 5 second count while watching you. You're swabbing the inside of your nose in a circle. 5 seconds each nostril.

I wish they changed the testing at port to antigen which is more likely to pick up active infection vs a PCR which could pick up Covid from several weeks prior.

I wish they changed the testing at port to antigen which is more likely to pick up active infection vs a PCR which could pick up Covid from several weeks prior.

PCR tests are also sensitive enough to pick up an early infection before it may be detected on a rapid antigen test. I’m sure DCL wants to pick up early infections to avoid (as much as possible) passengers having to quarantine onboard.

PCR tests are also sensitive enough to pick up an early infection before it may be detected on a rapid antigen test. I’m sure DCL wants to pick up early infections to avoid (as much as possible) passengers having to quarantine onboard.
Good point, it’s definitely a tricky situation.

I know that they say all these things about various types of tests and Omicron but my son had a sore throat and had a full PCR lab done and it was negative. He tested positive at home the next day on a proctored antigen test. I am just not sure that we really can pinpoint when to test or what test to use when anymore. I'm still waiting for Safe Passage to approve my doctor's letter. It feels like an eternity.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter