Crockpot cooking outside?

medic9016

Free Agent
While looping last week, we noticed several crockpots outside cooking. Why are they being used outside instead of inside the RV? I do not use mine outside at home.

I'm just guessing they didn't want the extra heat, moisture, or odor permeating everything in the RV. Or making a kinda informal invitation to fellowship with the neighbors. Ok, I'll stop now ;)

While looping last week, we noticed several crookpots outside cooking. Why are they being used outside instead of inside the RV? I do not use mine outside at home.

:confused3 We just put ours on the stove top inside and let it cook away. I'd be afraid of some crazy doing something stupid if they saw it sitting outside. I want to know exactly how my food was prepared and not left to others to possibly decide (restaurants are different).

Larry

I've never put mine outside - for the same reason Larry cited. Also - the otters could be attracted by the aroma & steal the food for themselves!!

They've already learned how to steal the beer!! (And bring it to me!)

bud-light-otter.jpg

Maybe they are just cooking outside because they don't have the room inside. Alot of RV's don't have much counterspace. Just because it's outside doesn't mean it's not being supervised.

I always put mine outside. I have never cooked inside my camper. Everything is outside. I don't want my camper getting all smelly from food.

I always put mine outside. I have never cooked inside my camper. Everything is outside. I don't want my camper getting all smelly from food.

I've never heard that concern before or it ever being a problem, but cooking inside does not get your camper smelly from cooking food inside.

Larry

depends on what your cooking. Some foods do make your camper smelly. I use it both inside and out.

If I was cooking chicken in the crockpot, I would keep it inside. If I was cooking corn beef & cabbage, or pork chops & saurkraut, I would keep it outside! :scared1:

I would advise everybody to use their crockpots outside while at the fort. I usually take my plate and fork with me while I walk Mickey, and if it smells good, take a little sample. I believe I am doing everybody a favor by taste testing their dinner for them. Who knows how many cooking disasters I have prevented by using a little of the spices I always carry along with me to correct culinary mistakes?

I would advise everybody to use their crockpots outside while at the fort. I usually take my plate and fork with me while I walk Mickey, and if it smells good, take a little sample. I believe I am doing everybody a favor by taste testing their dinner for them. Who knows how many cooking disasters I have prevented by using a little of the spices I always carry along with me to correct culinary mistakes?

:lmao:

While I've never used a crock pot while camping, I do cook outside almost exclusively. For us it is a matter of space as well as coming up the ranks of backpacking and tenting in bear country where I'd never dream of cooking in the same space in which we sleep. We rarely camp with hook-ups, thus the not crock-potting while camping...but if we did we'd do it outside.

Now, if I had a big rig it would be a different story...unless whatever was in the crock pot was particularly pungent! Like that feta, sauerkraut, garlic, pepperoni cassarole that my family adores :rotfl:

Maybe they are just cooking outside because they don't have the room inside. Alot of RV's don't have much counterspace. Just because it's outside doesn't mean it's not being supervised.

Exactly! Have you ever seen the inside of a truck camper? Not a lot of counter space! ;)

Well, since my kitchen is outside, then my crockpot is outside!!!

No seriously, I don't think I would leave anything cooking unattended in any camper. My home is a different story. It's well insured, and a lot would have to go wrong for it to burn totally to the ground.

It only takes the smallest little thing to go wrong for a camper to catch fire, and it would be totally consumed in minutes, and I would probably lose money on the deal as those things depreciate.

Having a pop up, I almost always cook outside, that includes my crock pot. I have a small table that I set up the crock and coffee pots on. I love having breakfast ready and waiting when we get up in the morning!

I have a propane crock pot that works nioce and always use it outside - I tend to throw stuff in it that I find when I'm camping - critter stew is great! :thumbsup2

Speaking of which, I'm off to lunch -- maybe a beer.......

If I was cooking chicken in the crockpot, I would keep it inside. If I was cooking corn beef & cabbage, or pork chops & saurkraut, I would keep it outside! :scared1:

In our last trailer that we had for over 25 years we cooked Polish Sausage and Saurkraut, Corned beef and Cabbage, along with a complete Thanksgiving Turkey (10 pounder) and anything else you can think of with no residual smell. However, just like at home things like vegetable soup and 15 bean soup with a ham bone sure made the TT smell like home. I can understand the space limitations of cooking inside, but if you use your stove vent the residual smell just should not be an issue IMHO. There should again IMHO very little difference in the smell factor in a normal TT and a $1.5 million dollar Prevost and I guarantee you they don't only cook outside.

Larry

However, just like at home things like vegetable soup and 15 bean soup with a ham bone sure made the TT smell like home.

Yep, an hour or two after that 15 bean soup the ol MoHo smells like home too... and makes no difference if it was cooked inside er out!

Whew! Good soup! :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist (and I tried, honestly! [my baser instincts took over and societal constraint is too eroded a force!])

There should again IMHO very little difference in the smell factor in a normal TT and a $1.5 million dollar Prevost and I guarantee you they don't only cook outside.

Larry

LOL. I guess I wouldn't worry so much about residual smell, as just the smell for the rest of that night. Kinda like when you make bacon for breakfast at home! It smells good at the time, but later on that day you can still smell it, and it doesn't smell so good anymore. :cutie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter