Crockpot cooking outside?

That is one of the main reasons. DH likes to cook bacon when camping. It is the best bacon, but the smell is very strong. Anyone who is at the fort the end of October will be able to find us by the Nueskes bacon DH is cooking :goodvibes

I've never had any problems with cooking odors embedding themselves in my RV that we lived in for 1.5 years. There were some things I cooked that the aroma lingered for a day or so, but that was it.

We've looked at a lot of used RV's and never noticed residual cooking smells. What we definitely noticed is cigarette smoke, the smell of spilled beer or alcohol, & the smell of dogs.

I "inherited" an upright vacuum from my mom that we had when I was a kid & had a beagle & basset hound. She used it for about 8-9 years after we no longer had dogs. I turned it on in my house one time only and it still smelled of the dogs. The vac went in the trash!

If you have the space in your RV to cook, go ahead!

As to fire hazard...we have a neighbor that had a new Monaco MH parked in their RV port that the refrigerator shorted out, caught the rig on fire & then caught the house on fire. Here was the result...

FIRE-080311-2.jpg

FIRE080311-1.jpg

Thankfully, no one was hurt. If you look real close, you can see the remains of the MH chassis. When the tires popped, it sounded like huge cannons going off!

My point is, if a fire is going to happen, it's going to happen regardless of how cautious you are. If your crock-pot is sitting on a table outside next to your rig & shorts out, the rig will still get damaged.

Yep, an hour or two after that 15 bean soup the ol MoHo smells like home too... and makes no difference if it was cooked inside er out!

Whew! Good soup! :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist (and I tried, honestly! [my baser instincts took over and societal constraint is too eroded a force!])

Two hints for the 15 bean soup if you want to try it is to buy a butt or shank portion of ham and slice off what you want for ham slices and things like breakfast ham leaving a lot of residual ham on the bone. Use that in the soup along with one or two Jalapeno peppers and cook forever. By being generous with leaving some meat on the bone you will get large chunks of some of the best ham you will ever have in your soup.

We started making the 15 bean soup before they had mixes and had to buy the individual beans, measure them out by a recipe, put in baggies and use that for making it.

Larry

LOL. I guess I wouldn't worry so much about residual smell, as just the smell for the rest of that night. Kinda like when you make bacon for breakfast at home! It smells good at the time, but later on that day you can still smell it, and it doesn't smell so good anymore. :cutie:

I understand exactly what you are saying, but the concern that I first posted about was someone saying ...

I always put mine outside. I have never cooked inside my camper. Everything is outside. I don't want my camper getting all smelly from food.

Since they had never tried cooking inside, their fears might not be well founded.

Larry

I understand exactly what you are saying, but the concern that I first posted about was someone saying ...

I always put mine outside. I have never cooked inside my camper. Everything is outside. I don't want my camper getting all smelly from food.

Since they had never tried cooking inside, their fears might not be well founded.

Larry

That's true! Could be worrying all for nothing! :goodvibes

I do my bean soup the same way you do!! (The more meat left on the bone, the better, IMO!!!) Hmmm....now I'm in the mood. I might just make that tomorrow!!

Cant you guys afford more than just those 15 beans??? Live a little....toss in a few extra beans for goodness sake!!! They're just beans.....go ahead and have yourself some 29 bean soup, you deserve more beans, people!!!;)

OK, so I HAD a legit question for Ami, but got distracted by the picture that was obviously of my cooking at home. No surpirse that DW does all the cooking, she's tasted mine! :rotfl2:

OK, Ami. Do you leave the coffee pot outside overnight? We have a folding table that I plan to take with the trailer from now on, since it helps to have some extra space just outside the door. I wondered about setting the coffee maker outside, since DW is not a coffee drinker and would hate the smell of it in the trailer in the morning. Just worried about it getting wet with the morning dew. Also know better than to carry it out first thing in the morning, when my 3 left feet and 13 thumbs are still trying to wake up. :3dglasses

Yep, an hour or two after that 15 bean soup the ol MoHo smells like home too... and makes no difference if it was cooked inside er out!

Whew! Good soup! :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist (and I tried, honestly! [my baser instincts took over and societal constraint is too eroded a force!])

Somehow I have GOT to get with Shan and the rest of this bunch. Even before the first beer was opened I would have more laughs than I've had in many moons! :lmao:

Cant you guys afford more than just those 15 beans??? Live a little....toss in a few extra beans for goodness sake!!! They're just beans.....go ahead and have yourself some 29 bean soup, you deserve more beans, people!!!;)

I'm sorry - but with the prices FW is charging these days, that's all we can afford!! :upsidedow

I'm sorry - but with the prices FW is charging these days, that's all we can afford!! :upsidedow

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :cool1: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I'm at at a loss for words and that's very unusual for me ... maybe someone could come up with a 7 1/2 bean soup. :goodvibes One thing I don't like about the 15 bean soup mix is the small amount of butter beans they usually put in.

Larry

I would advise everybody to use their crockpots outside while at the fort. I usually take my plate and fork with me while I walk Mickey, and if it smells good, take a little sample. I believe I am doing everybody a favor by taste testing their dinner for them. Who knows how many cooking disasters I have prevented by using a little of the spices I always carry along with me to correct culinary mistakes?

lol....

OK, so I HAD a legit question for Ami, but got distracted by the picture that was obviously of my cooking at home. No surpirse that DW does all the cooking, she's tasted mine! :rotfl2:

OK, Ami. Do you leave the coffee pot outside overnight? We have a folding table that I plan to take with the trailer from now on, since it helps to have some extra space just outside the door. I wondered about setting the coffee maker outside, since DW is not a coffee drinker and would hate the smell of it in the trailer in the morning. Just worried about it getting wet with the morning dew. Also know better than to carry it out first thing in the morning, when my 3 left feet and 13 thumbs are still trying to wake up. :3dglasses

:lmao: you wake up with multiple left feet, too? Funny how that happens overnight......er, I mean....I don't have any idea what you're talking about....I am always graceful! :sad2:

Anyway~
Yes, we leave the coffee pot up on a table under the awning or set up under a seperate enclosure (which I prefer to do). We've never had any issues with dew or anything else and we sit the crock pot next to it. I am NOT a morning person so having coffee and breakfast ready and waiting is kind of a little luxury for me.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter