cruise advice?

dj2

all my little ducks in a row...
sorry if this has been asked before, but the search function is down.

i'm thinking about a Disney cruise...

anyone been on one who wants to share advice on how accessible they are?

also, anyone have experience with special diets (extensive food allergies)?

thanks!

Maduusa is going soon, lets convince her to post a trip report when she gets back. Bet she will. LOL
Chel will you give us the low down............

Quite a few people who post on this board have been on cruises, so hopefully some of them will stop by.
The things I remember from reading are that the boat is quite accessible, although the elevators are fairly small and often crowded. CastAway Cay is accessible, but the other outings are not very accessible (since they are not in the US, they are not subject to the ADA).
This is the link to disability FAQs for cruising from the officail Disney site. The last time I looked, it had very little information, but I'm hoping they add more.
you might also want to check out the Cruise Board. I've seen quite a few threads there that would be helpful - you might have to go back a few pages to find one.

We have been on both the 4 night and 7 night Western. Sue's exactly right re the ship-- overall very acessble but elevators can be crowded plus they are on the small side, and the non-Disney shore stuff is not always ideal. For that matter, even touring on your own can be hard. For example, Cozumel had virtually no curb cuts and had a number of pillars blocking the narrow sidewalks. Also, DCL does not have consistently reliable info about the accessibility of the shore excursions (which are not run by DCL). For example, we took the trolley tour in Key West, which SO was not a "very short walk" from the ship. I have seen people here have good luck renting a car to explore on their own.

Re special diets, I recommend putting your request in your reservation. Then on your first night, ask to speak with your dining caprtain and also tell your waitperson. They will work together to make sure that your needs are communicated to the chefs. You can also tell them where/when you plan to eat other meals so that you can be accommodated. Be aware that depending on your needs, you may need to eat breakfast/lunch in the sit down places (which are obviously more formal than some of the other options there) so they can custom prepare your meal.

However, the regular buffet style dining may also work well for you. We liked this the best as I could manage great (I have a soy allergy so some options like fresh fruit are obviously "safe") and it allowed greater flexibility. But this would depend on your diet. The breakfast buffets have typical breakfast stuff. Lunch buffets are themed (seafood, oriental, etc) and are different every day so can be harder to predict. Your dining staff can tell you what is on the menus and what the ingredients are. Also, the chefs are happy to come out and go thru ingredients for the buffet items. Everyone was very hepful.

Have fun! I hope this helped!

:wave: Cupcake

thanks. i think it sounds challenging yet fun. i did post about food allergies on the cruise board and got a very helpful response there, too.

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter