Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disn...d-is-opening-a-month-after-universal-orlando/
The two things that jumped out to me here:

"Different labor situation" meaning unions, I suppose, which makes complete sense. Disney cannot move without making sure the union agrees - especially for any safety measures that wound up in their union agreement. That makes it hard to pivot quickly, both now and later.

"Pent up demand" and "people not cancelling before the July 11 opening was announced" - while that is true, I am a firm believer in "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" - all of these recent comments by Chapek come across, to me, as "we can do what we want because we're Disney and people love us". . .I feel like he is a little tone deaf right now and doesn't understand his most loyal and devoted guests, and that is going to hurt that "brand image" he keeps waving about. You can do everything that Disney is doing in a way that maintains that brand image. What I wish they had done was something like this: "You are important to us - we love when you come home - but we want you safe and to do that, we can only open MK and all DVC (no housekeeping) and local APs - limited capacity for at least the first month.
We have a special reservation system for those folks - link here. Everyone else can either reschedule their packages or we will conveniently cancel them for you when the date arrives. When you reschedule, you get to keep your current rate on everything and all AP's extended one year. We don't know yet when we will open more parks or resorts - we will let you know at least a month in advance when we decide it's safe to open more. We miss you, we love you, and we want you to be safe until we can welcome you home". That communication sounds so much friendlier to me. 🙃

Pent up demand" and "people not cancelling before the July 11 opening was announced" - while that is true, I am a firm believer in "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" - all of these recent comments by Chapek come across, to me, as "we can do what we want because we're Disney and people love us". . .I feel like he is a little tone deaf right now and doesn't understand his most loyal and devoted guests, and that is going to hurt that "brand image" he keeps waving about. You can do everything that Disney is doing in a way that maintains that brand image. What I wish they had done was something like this: "You are important to us - we love when you come home - but we want you safe and to do that, we can only open MK and all DVC (no housekeeping) and local APs - limited capacity for at least the first month.
We have a special reservation system for those folks - link here. Everyone else can either reschedule their packages or we will conveniently cancel them for you when the date arrives. When you reschedule, you get to keep your current rate on everything and all AP's extended one year. We don't know yet when we will open more parks or resorts - we will let you know at least a month in advance when we decide it's safe to open more. We miss you, we love you, and we want you to be safe until we can welcome you home". That communication sounds so much friendlier to me. 🙃
You also have to remember Chapek/Disney has said that they wouldn’t open until they can cover some of their costs and not increase the losses. They likely looked at different ways and your suggest may have not been financially feasible.

https://blogmickey.com/2020/05/disn...d-is-opening-a-month-after-universal-orlando/

"Different labor situation" meaning unions, I suppose, which makes complete sense. Disney cannot move without making sure the union agrees - especially for any safety measures that wound up in their union agreement. That makes it hard to pivot quickly, both now and later.

"Pent up demand" and "people not cancelling before the July 11 opening was announced" - while that is true, I am a firm believer in "it's not what you say, it's how you say it" - all of these recent comments by Chapek come across, to me, as "we can do what we want because we're Disney and people love us". . .I feel like he is a little tone deaf right now and doesn't understand his most loyal and devoted guests, and that is going to hurt that "brand image" he keeps waving about. You can do everything that Disney is doing in a way that maintains that brand image. What I wish they had done was something like this: "You are important to us - we love when you come home - but we want you safe and to do that, we can only open MK and all DVC (no housekeeping) and local APs - limited capacity for at least the first month.
Agree and didn't he become the man in charge right before the (explicit language here) hit the fan?

Have they addressed when AP holders can book on site rooms again? Or can anyone read between the lines and tell me?

For example my wife and mil want to take the kids sometime in July. We are all AP but have no rooms booked. Do you think we will be able to get rooms?
My take is rooms will be harder to get than tickets. In fact people with current reservations, myself included, aren't convinced we still won't get canceled as they look at numbers and determine capacity.

I see people mentioning specific ADRs, but guys, everything is getting canceled. Any ADR you have will be canceled. There will not be character dining, either.

Clean slate.
I agree with you.. just looks like they are doing it in some order lol.. not that it really matters what order.. just an observation.

Pure speculation, but my spidey sense tells me that they're not going to de-incentivize people staying on site. I'll bet resort guests will get first crack at park reservations and they'll be done in a way to maximize their chances of getting consecutive days. No one is making a 7 day trip and staying on site if they can only get in the parks for 3 days...
Resort guests with tickets or annual passes will be one of the first two groups. CM responded to my chat question today (I know) and a 3rd party quoted earlier with Twitter link whom I think may be a TA (sorry but can't remember person's name) have both said that resort guests without tickets will be able to buy tickets and do park reservations at a later time, subject to availability. I am one of the people in that boat for two reservations later this year.

Buses are expected but disney hasn’t discussed them yet.

We should get reservation details within the next week or two.
Since this is the rumor forum, someone on another forum said they worked in bus transportation and what he is hearing isn't good, bus transportation will be a mess, and that he hopes people will be patient with the drivers. My guess is long bus lines due to extremely low capacity (DFB estimated 15 people per bus) and possibly disinfecting after each ride?

I agree with you.. just looks like they are doing it in some order lol.. not that it really matters what order.. just an observation.

One thing I haven’t heard discussed much lately is the travel restrictions in Florida. We are from Louisiana. Our trip isn’t until mid-July so I assume the restrictions will be lifted by then but it would be nice to know for sure.

Deaths and hospitalizations are way down in LA. Seems silly that he hasn’t lifted it already.

One thing I haven’t heard discussed much lately is the travel restrictions in Florida. We are from Louisiana. Our trip isn’t until mid-July so I assume the restrictions will be lifted by then but it would be nice to know for sure.

Deaths and hospitalizations are way down in LA. Seems silly that he hasn’t lifted it already.
IMO Phase 2 for FL is coming within the next 7 days. DeSantis wants tourism open asap

I'm coming from MA end of July so I hope they are too. I'm hearing July 7th for Florida ( I hope that's right) as long as they don't get extended. *cross your fingers*

My take is rooms will be harder to get than tickets. In fact people with current reservations, myself included, aren't convinced we still won't get canceled as they look at numbers and determine capacity.
Swan, Dolphin and maybe the other FP 60 hotels are probably bookable and probably offer theme park benefits similar to WDW resorts

I've made similar comments about him in this thread. His tone right now doesn't match the situation. I believe he wanted to stay closed and avoid all of this. But they can't. No doubt he believes the demand will be there regardless and isn't worried about brand image. Nothing about him personally makes me feel better about Disney's leadership at the moment.

I agree that announcing everything at once and using human language instead of corporate speak would have been better.

Since this is the rumor forum, someone on another forum said they worked in bus transportation and what he is hearing isn't good, bus transportation will be a mess, and that he hopes people will be patient with the drivers. My guess is long bus lines due to extremely low capacity (DFB estimated 15 people per bus) and possibly disinfecting after each ride?
It won’t be a nightmare if they can get resort occupancy down to the levels they want. They have enough busses to make it work with reduced loads and sanitization. That is if they choose to put that many busses into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter