Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not allowed to leave your room. So if you are in an inside room, you are in there 24/7, no sunlight, no windows, no fresh air. meals left on the floor outside your door. No thank you.

This. In no way would there be anything "good" or "okay" about this. You can't even remotely compare this to already having been on a 17 day cruise - when you were allowed freedom, entertainment, fresh air etc... You're essentially a prisoner in your room.

When all this started a few weeks ago I was in the camp of memorial day or so. Trying to be realistic. Then as it has progressed I modified my thoughts to late june early july. With the recent spikes in florida, from 2k to almost 7Ik in a week and expected to keep rising through mid may, the CDC imploring the governor to lock down the state for at least 30 days and the common scientific opinion that this lasts through the summer, the reality is looking more and more like August if everything goes well. My wife says I'm always an optimist but the realist logical side has taken over and decided buckle in for a while because this is not good. It isnt doom and gloom. Its living in florida and realizing the true impact on human lives and the health care system. It certainly sucks and anything sooner would be wonderful but reality and logic based on information at hand says this is post summer late summer before things even get close to normal. Then we will have the economic aspects to contend with.

When all this started a few weeks ago I was in the camp of memorial day or so. Trying to be realistic. Then as it has progressed I modified my thoughts to late june early july. With the recent spikes in florida, from 2k to almost 7Ik in a week and expected to keep rising through mid may, the CDC imploring the governor to lock down the state for at least 30 days and the common scientific opinion that this lasts through the summer, the reality is looking more and more like August if everything goes well. My wife says I'm always an optimist but the realist logical side has taken over and decided buckle in for a while because this is not good. It isnt doom and gloom. Its living in florida and realizing the true impact on human lives and the health care system. It certainly sucks and anything sooner would be wonderful but reality and logic based on information at hand says this is post summer late summer before things even get close to normal. Then we will have the economic aspects to contend with.

The models they showed at Trumps briefing today showed the peak in the next 2-3 weeks and then scaling down. Those models also had other disturbing numbers I'll stay away from in this thread. If things go well we should peak in the next few weeks. Then we can move the question to when do things reopen without risking a second spike.

The sad reality is April is going to just be horrible. But hopefully we can move on to a better May.

I have read we should possibly expect a second peak as well ( possibly in the fall?) No idea how accurate that is, but if that's true, will theme parks even be able to continue to remain open during another peak of the virus?If they closed a first time, wouldn't they close again?

The models they showed at Trumps briefing today showed the peak in the next 2-3 weeks and then scaling down. Those models also had other disturbing numbers I'll stay away from in this thread. If things go well we should peak in the next few weeks. Then we can move the question to when do things reopen without risking a second spike.

The sad reality is April is going to just be horrible. But hopefully we can move on to a better May.
Yes I saw those models too and am hoping that will be the case 🤞🏻

Yes I saw those models too and am hoping that will be the case 🤞🏻
The model has variances for certain areas. Florida was initially may 14 with a slow build but since we havent been diligent with our lockdowns now its showing may 3rd with an overwhelmed healthcare system and app 175 deaths per day. The CDC advised the governor to lock down by the end of the week for at least a month to hopefully push the peak out a bit and give the healthcare system a break. The issue is the so called safe zone where things decrease on reported cases isnt till mid july. And then we could have more spikes here and there. So overwhelm the healthcare system and bring the peak earlier or lockdown. I know the sensible thing to me.

Ontario just cancelled all public events through the end of June. And they're ahead of you (as in both, their spike started well before Florida's, and they got a better handle on trying to flatten the curve before Florida). So with that, I think your projections are very realistic. I'm still SHOCKED by the people on FB that think they're going to open in May, and not only that but open back up at 100% capacity just like normal. There's such a huge amount of denial, or being out of touch with reality with this disease. ☹

Ontario just cancelled all public events through the end of June. And they're ahead of you (as in both, their spoke started well before Florida's, and they got a better handle on trying to flatten the curve before Florida). So with that, I think your projections are very realistic. I'm still SHOCKED by the people on FB that think they're going to open in May, and not only that but open back up at 100% capacity just like normal. There's such a huge amount of denial, or being out of touch with reality with this disease. ☹

Or perhaps they're just hopeful? It's ok for them to be optimists, if that helps them get through and stay at home.

I, on the other hand, canceled my June 6 arrival and am now hoping my big birthday trip in late June actually happens. Seems less likely every day. I need to decided by April 30 so I can bank DVC points if I cancel.

Or perhaps they're just hopeful? It's ok for them to be optimists, if that helps them get through and stay at home.

I, on the other hand, canceled my June 6 arrival and am now hoping my big birthday trip in late June actually happens. Seems less likely every day. I need to decided by April 30 so I can bank DVC points if I cancel.

Some are trying to be hopeful for sanity sake. Those aren't the ones I'm referring to. Many are really truly believing this will be over and everything goes back to normal. I think because for so long certain people and channels spent so long trying to say this was no big deal and would be over soon etc...

Ontario just cancelled all public events through the end of June. And they're ahead of you (as in both, their spike started well before Florida's, and they got a better handle on trying to flatten the curve before Florida). So with that, I think your projections are very realistic. I'm still SHOCKED by the people on FB that think they're going to open in May, and not only that but open back up at 100% capacity just like normal. There's such a huge amount of denial, or being out of touch with reality with this disease. ☹
The only benefit for not looking down early and not flatten the curve is you actually recover quicker. But you don't plan for this as the top of the curve is devastating and many more people will die as peak period is lot higher in numbers. So Florida could actually recover quicker but only due to poor management of the situation and not looking down quick enough

The only benefit for not looking down early and not flatten the curve is you actually recover quicker. But you don't plan for this as the top of the curve is devastating and many more people will die as peak period is lot higher in numbers. So Florida could actually recover quicker but only due to poor management of the situation and not looking down quick enough

There is no such thing as a "benefit" in any scenario that causes more deaths.

Are we staring down a mandatory 5 minute park entrance virus test once a date to reopen is set? I'm talking about the quick testing for the virus that is, as I understand it, about to become more readily available. No, I don't know how it would be deployed or even if this is feasible given the fact that folks may have the virus without showing symptoms. Maybe we're looking at folks that have been tested and met the 14-day window, would somehow be allowed to enter the park(s). Of course, I think that would violate so many health privacy regulations. I know I'm really reaching here and think there is no chance this could be done.
Yep a test mandatory at entrance ... for a FEE of course.

What do you consider recover quick? Because if it peaks too fast and the healthcare system breaks down it wont matter. This will easily be july or aigust

I cancelled my June trip to Hershey and the Columbus Game Convention this weekend...so I'm here with you on the suck of cancelling June events...but I figured I didn't want to be the theme park guinea pig away from home (and get stuck quarantining away from home)...

I cancelled my June trip to Hershey and the Columbus Game Convention this weekend...so I'm here with you on the suck of cancelling June events...but I figured I didn't want to be the theme park guinea pig away from home (and get stuck quarantining away from home)...

We cancelled our June vacation to New Hampshire yesterday. Still way too many unknowns. And while cases may be on the decline, I think there'll still be too many circulating for us to be comfortable travelling.

I have an August trip and would love to cancel, but rented DVC points and I definitely can’t cancel at this point (not to bring up another topic). Listening or reading any pandemic expert, not just Fauci... there’s no way large gatherings will be open in August. My guess is construction is back up and running and maybe even Disney springs and some resorts, but I’d be shocked if sporting events, concerts, or Disney are going forward in the late summer. We can be optimistic, but we can also be realistic.

China just tried to reopen movie theaters and their basketball league, 4-5 months after their outbreak began, and had to immediately shut them back down. We are in this for the long haul.

Hopefully Disney can keep pushing out decent product on Disney+ and other platforms to keep us entertained.

We cancelled our June vacation to New Hampshire yesterday. Still way too many unknowns. And while cases may be on the decline, I think there'll still be too many circulating for us to be comfortable travelling.
I think a lot of people are going to be very tentative about travel and crowds even after peaks pass and most places are in the safe zone on the backside of the curve. I think itll be well into july when things start to reopen and even then, other than locals I dont see a mass rush to disney. Most people wont have the money. Some will be spooked about travelling. There may still be travel bans in place. And it seems many people are rebooking their trips into september and october now. That's why I've amended my opinion that we dont see parks open till mid to late july. And for the first month it will primarily be locals and we have to hope there arent mini spikes that cause regional.or local closures.

I guess at this point .. hold on to your May/June WDW vacations and just wait and see if Disney forcibly cancels them (and gives you a similar "come back soon" offer that the people have been cancelled in March/April have gotten).

My point is .. with all the exception that normal cancellation policies are getting (including airlines), no need to cancel things until it is apparent things will be reopening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter