Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
No skin off my nose what others do, but I do get annoyed when people act like the only reason anyone comes to Orlando is Disney and everything else is an afterthought. And this is coming from someone who used to do Disney at least once a year. In 2015, my son begged to try Universal. We fell in love with it and never looked back. To each their own.
The media doesn’t help. Universal reopened this week. There were lots of headlines popping up in various news feeds about it. At least 50% of them had a photo of Cinderella Castle and/or Mickey Mouse accompanying the headline. Now, there were some that had the Universal globe, and to be honest, it shouldn’t have been all that difficult to get a photo of SOMETHING at Universal to accompany the story. But unfortunately for Universal, even when the story is about them, the Disney image is what people see. As a Disney fan, I felt bad for Universal that the media wouldn’t let them have their moment to shine.

I personally am not a Universal fan, because I don’t do thrill rides and I don’t have an interest or attachment to their movies (not even a Potter fan). But I have no issues saying they are a good park and good competition for Disney.

Have there been any rumblings about how and when we will find out if our original hotel is the one we will be staying in? If they want people to bypass the front desk as much as possible, we will need some sort of advance notice of which hotel to go to. I have an August reservation at Pop and I have seen rumors that say Pop and AOA will be open, and I have seen rumors that no value resorts will be open. I am hoping to be at Pop where the bus lines are organized rather than a mod or deluxe where the transportation is a free for all.

Last edited:
The media doesn’t help. Universal reopened this week. There were lots of headlines popping up in various news feeds about it. At least 50% of them had a photo of Cinderella Castle and/or Mickey Mouse accompanying the headline. Now, there were some that had the Universal globe, and to be honest, it shouldn’t have been all that difficult to get a photo of SOMETHING at Universal to accompany the story. But unfortunately for Universal, even when the story is about them, the Disney image is what people see. As a Disney fan, I felt bad for Universal that the media wouldn’t let them have their moment to shine.

But with the fame and notoriety that Disney receives by the media, also comes the backlash. We saw it when both companies stayed open days after announcing their closures. Not one picture of Universal parks with crowds of people, but an almost hourly update of how Disney was intentionally trying to kill people by not closing immediately and allowing so many people in the parks.

And then you have the article where the market strategist said Disney wouldnt open until 2021. That man’s words were spun from an opinionated editorial to numerous media outlet’s picking up that “story” and running headlines giving a false narrative of truth.

While I’m sure Universal doesnt like being treated like the younger sibling, I’m sure they love benefitting from not having to worry about the backlash that Disney receives for essentially the same things that Universal does

But with the fame and notoriety that Disney receives by the media, also comes the backlash. We saw it when both companies stayed open days after announcing their closures. Not one picture of Universal parks with crowds of people, but an almost hourly update of how Disney was intentionally trying to kill people by not closing immediately and allowing so many people in the parks.

And then you have the article where the market strategist said Disney wouldnt open until 2021. That man’s words were spun from an opinionated editorial to numerous media outlet’s picking up that “story” and running headlines giving a false narrative of truth.

While I’m sure Universal doesnt like being treated like the younger sibling, I’m sure they love benefitting from not having to worry about the backlash that Disney receives for essentially the same things that Universal does
agreed, not a lot of people talking about the fact that team members right now are working at 80% of their wages cause Universal wants to recuperate the money they kept paying them during the closure. (btw most TM are fine with this since they did get paid until almost being recalled and didn't have to go into the unemployment system)

I know this is all speculation and at this point, we don't have much information, but if you had to guess, when do you think WDW will begin to take new hotel/package reservations (for resorts that are open in the "first wave")?
I think they’ll open up bookings when they announce dates for opening the first phase of their actual hotels which they’ve given every indication won’t be soon. So I’m thinking a few months from now. Even then I wouldn’t be surprised to see them only take reservations through January.

agreed, not a lot of people talking about the fact that team members right now are working at 80% of their wages cause Universal wants to recuperate the money they kept paying them during the closure. (btw most TM are fine with this since they did get paid until almost being recalled and didn't have to go into the unemployment system)
IMO it was a stand-up decision that Universal made to pay it's employees most of their wages through the months of shutdown. I haven't heard of another big theme park company doing that. I think people aren't talking about how their TMs are getting 80% of their wages now because Universal already looks pretty good from a PR perspective by having paid people when they weren't working.

I personally am not a Universal fan, because I don’t do thrill rides and I don’t have an interest or attachment to their movies (not even a Potter fan). But I have no issues saying they are a good park and good competition for Disney.

Have there been any rumblings about how and when we will find out if our original hotel is the one we will be staying in? If they want people to bypass the front desk as much as possible, we will need some sort of advance notice of which hotel to go to. I have an August reservation at Pop and I have seen rumors that say Pop and AOA will be open, and I have seen rumors that no value resorts will be open. I am hoping to be at Pop where the bus lines are organized rather than a mod or deluxe where the transportation is a free for all.

I was able to do online check in for my August 15 AOA arrival but I put little faith into that actually meaning anything at this point. I really hope that they are open because the kids picked this hotel as their favorite.

I was able to do online check in for my August 15 AOA arrival but I put little faith into that actually meaning anything at this point. I really hope that they are open because the kids picked this hotel as their favorite.
yeah, I was able to do online check in for my June 6th :) I also have it already done for my July 1st, means nothing really

I’m super curious to see what they end up doing with resort openings. I can’t imagine they will only have open dvc and fort wilderness through the end of the year, but I suppose it makes sense to only book those until they know for sure what will take place in coming months as they reopen. It keeps them from having to upgrade additional people if they can’t reopen values and mods as soon. But it really stinks for those that just got priced out from rebooking :(

Oh, gosh. That makes me nervous.

What do we think "the storm" will bring us?
Oh, gosh. That makes me nervous.

What do we think "the storm" will bring us?

The "storm" will bring some rain and some light wind. This won't be a hurricane. The people booked before the re-opening have a good idea what to expect. The same offer for the people booked till June 21 (is that the right date?). The people booked after July 11 - the first few weeks/months will be rearranged to whatever resorts they need to open. I doubt anyone gets canceled. Then in a couple months when things loosen up they will open more resorts and increase park capacity accordingly. just my humble opinion.

Cristobal - I have no idea what to expect. Lot of rain and some bad wind. still not a hurricane. probably a little less severe than Barry was.

Last edited:
Can any DVC members confirm that AKV - Jambo is showing no availability for the next few months? I know The Mara is expected to reopen, but if that’s the case, that doesn’t bode well for AKL’s reopening prospects.

Right there with you. We are Lafourche so right in the predicted track. Sucks.

Yikes! I hate that feeling. Hopefully it breaks up a little. I'm in Ascension, but thankfully I don't live in a flood zone.

OT but stay safe to all in the path of this current storm. Hope it's not a severe one.

Thanks! Should be mainly heavy rain. It's just so incredibly 2020 to have a storm already! lol

Can any DVC members confirm that AKV - Jambo is showing no availability for the next few months? I know The Mara is expected to reopen, but if that’s the case, that doesn’t bode well for AKL’s reopening prospects.
Yes, no availability at AKV Jambo last I checked until January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter