Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zero Chance WDW will require guests to wear masks as a regular requirement. Requiring customers to wear masks will soon be optional. The free market dictates what companies do and WDW (and most large companies) can not survive at 60-70% capacity. Once they open up all the parks without capacity limits (which they will soon have to do) they won't dare confront the thousands of patrons who choose not to wear a mask. Do you really believe they will confront physically paying customers and "throw" them out? That won't go over to well on You Tube and Facebook live video streams. Masks will be optional before the end of this year. Book it.
it has been said by union of most Disney workers that masks will be required by both employees and guest as part of their agreeing to reopen. I don't see Disney opening without masks cause union can just require the members to walk out and where would guests be and yes it could happen

This has been covered. If Disney fails to make exceptions for disabilities they will be sued. By every person with a disability they refuse to accommodate. ADA doesn’t stop being in effect just because there is a pandemic. (They aren’t advertising exceptions because some people would get the idea to use that as an excuse simply from that.)

The ACTUAL CDC guidelines say don’t wear a mask if it will put your health at risk.
https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/guidance/pandemic-preparedness-workplace-and-americans-disabilities-act
  • 12. During a pandemic, may an employer require its employees to wear personal protective equipment (e.g., face masks, gloves, or gowns) designed to reduce the transmission of pandemic infection?
    Yes. An employer may require employees to wear personal protective equipment during a pandemic. However, where an employee with a disability needs a related reasonable accommodation under the ADA (e.g., non-latex gloves, or gowns designed for individuals who use wheelchairs), the employer should provide these, absent undue hardship.

This applies to employers. I have no reason to think the ADA requirements of customers would be more lenient.
Again I have no idea as to what allowances Disney may make.

That's not quite correct. Here's one article for you to read on the National Law Review. There are others that I posted a link to on post #11,745.

https://www.natlawreview.com/articl...s-business-owners-requiring-face-masks-retail
That article is a lot of “might” and “may”. Considering the guidelines from CDC literally say don’t wear a mask if “X, Y, Z” and the article says following CDC guidelines, Disney still isn’t going to want to touch that with a 10ft pole.

“No one with lung problems or breathing problems is allowed in our park” holy freaking heck, that’s the sort of thing lawyers dream about 😂

Should I have an exception made for me because I’m claustrophobic but healthy in every way? I don’t think so.
As I said, I’m not looking to start a debate on whether Disney should make exceptions, I was just wondering if they would and how they would handle it in general. Unfortunately, it’s rarely possible to ask a direct question and not get to the point of legal reviews being posted to bolster a personal opinion.

This has been covered. If Disney fails to make exceptions for disabilities they will be sued. By every person with a disability they refuse to accommodate. ADA doesn’t stop being in effect just because there is a pandemic. (They aren’t advertising exceptions because some people would get the idea to use that as an excuse simply from that.)

The ACTUAL CDC guidelines say don’t wear a mask if it will put your health at risk.
ADA does not stop Disney from having ride heights for safety same can be said for masks as it is for safety

While I don’t want to perpetuate the mask debate, I could see a Disney refusing entry to those not wearing a mask or face covering even if there is a special need. People with COPD or asthma can tie a bandana around their face and breathe quite easily. If they start letting bunches of people in without face coverings it’s going to make it that much harder to make the rest of the customers wear them. They’re not going to want people seeing other people without face coverings.

And especially given the fact that going to Disney Springs at this point is completely optional and not tied to an expensive vacation at this time, they could turn people away for not wearing a mask. The same way they’ll turn people away with a temperature over 100.4. It’s not like they’re impacting a multi-thousand dollar vacation at this point. The only people that will be coming are locals and if you’re choosing to go out to a place that’s requiring face coverings when you can’t wear a face covering, that’s on you right now.

I’m glad to see the age exception especially for all those ridiculous ppl who insisted Disney should try to shove masks on 2 yr olds & babies.
Were there really many? I think most if not all places requiring masks don’t for the under 2 set and recommend against them for safety reasons.
I don't recall seeing anyone saying that those under the age of 2 should put on masks. The CDC guidelines specifically advices against that:
"Cloth face coverings should not be placed on young children under age 2, anyone who has trouble breathing, or is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance."
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/diy-cloth-face-coverings.htmlhttps://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/downloads/cloth-face-coverings-information.pdf

That article is a lot of “might” and “may”. Considering the guidelines from CDC literally say don’t wear a mask if “X, Y, Z” and the article says following CDC guidelines, Disney still isn’t going to want to touch that with a 10ft pole.

“No one with lung problems or breathing problems is allowed in our park” holy freaking heck, that’s the sort of thing lawyers dream about 😂

I have severe asthma, and I have no trouble wearing a mask. I'm good with Disney asking people to wear masks to protect those around them. And I have never heard of asthma as a disability.

Zero Chance WDW will require guests to wear masks as a regular requirement. Requiring customers to wear masks will soon be optional. The free market dictates what companies do and WDW (and most large companies) can not survive at 60-70% capacity. Once they open up all the parks without capacity limits (which they will soon have to do) they won't dare confront the thousands of patrons who choose not to wear a mask. Do you really believe they will confront physically paying customers and "throw" them out? That won't go over to well on You Tube and Facebook live video streams. Masks will be optional before the end of this year. Book it.
Just like the virus will disappear by then. 🙄

The CDC has designated Covid as a public health emergency .

ay a Business Have a Policy Turning Away Customers Who Refuse to Wear Face Masks?
Likely yes, for the time being. The ADA generally prohibits eligibility/screening criteria that tend to exclude individuals based on a disability, unless the criteria are necessary for the business to operate safely in providing its goods and services. Those requirements must be based on actual risks and may not be based on speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about people with disabilities. At this time, businesses concerned about the safety of their staff and customers should be justified in relying upon guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as state and local governments’ orders, to justify policies forbidding customers without face masks from entering their stores.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed/debated on this thread yet, but at page 589 I thought I'd just ask it now..but it's about the attendance % that the parks can open with...

When they talk about WDW being able to open at 25%, 50% or 75% capacity is that at EACH park or collectively? I would assume at each park but what do I know??

My family usually travels in June, so when we're bumper to bumper people trying to get through the crowds standing around outside Peter Pan at what % of capacity is MK at then?

I have heard that the parks reach full capacity, which I'm assuming is considered 100%, at Christmas and New Years and they actually turn folks away at the park entrance, so does that mean when we're there in June, and the parks are super crowded at mid-day and I'm literally staring at the sweaty back of the tall strange guy in front of me that the park is at 75%?

How many people in MK would be considered at 25&, 50% or 75%?

Thanks for doing the math for me!! And if we've already discussed this can someone point me to the post #?

I'm not sure if this has been discussed/debated on this thread yet, but at page 589 I thought I'd just ask it now..but it's about the attendance % that the parks can open with...

When they talk about WDW being able to open at 25%, 50% or 75% capacity is that at EACH park or collectively? I would assume at each park but what do I know??

My family usually travels in June, so when we're bumper to bumper people trying to get through the crowds standing around outside Peter Pan at what % of capacity is MK at then?

I have heard that the parks reach full capacity, which I'm assuming is considered 100%, at Christmas and New Years and they actually turn folks away at the park entrance, so does that mean when we're there in June, and the parks are super crowded at mid-day and I'm literally staring at the sweaty back of the tall strange guy in front of me that the park is at 75%?

Thanks for doing the math for me!! And if we've already discussed this can someone point me to the post #?

No one knows for sure, but in the earnings call on May 4, they kept referring to "standard" capacity. The majority assumption was they would be looking at a percentage of "typical", not "maximum", capacity for each park.

We also don't have definite capacity numbers for each park, but rough numbers were thrown out many pages ago, I think by @yulilin3. Typical capacity for MK is believed to be approximately 60,000-65,000 people.

I would assume each park. Disney doesn’t publish exact numbers but I’ve read capacity at the MK can be anywhere from 70-100k. They supposedly start closure phases at 65k and a busy park day is somewhere around 50k. Disney rarely closes the gates to everyone, even on the busiest days. But there has been talk that their capacity limits would be set by average capacity rather than the legal capacity. In SDL they went well under what the govt required and from what I saw from videos, the number was a very light crowd.

The CDC has designated Covid as a public health emergency .

ay a Business Have a Policy Turning Away Customers Who Refuse to Wear Face Masks?
Likely yes, for the time being. The ADA generally prohibits eligibility/screening criteria that tend to exclude individuals based on a disability, unless the criteria are necessary for the business to operate safely in providing its goods and services. Those requirements must be based on actual risks and may not be based on speculation, stereotypes, or generalizations about people with disabilities. At this time, businesses concerned about the safety of their staff and customers should be justified in relying upon guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), as well as state and local governments’ orders, to justify policies forbidding customers without face masks from entering their stores.
“Likely” is not the name of a legal hill they’re gonna wanna die on 🤣

As I said, I’m not looking to start a debate on whether Disney should make exceptions, I was just wondering if they would and how they would handle it in general. Unfortunately, it’s rarely possible to ask a direct question and not get to the point of legal reviews being posted to bolster a personal opinion.

Sorry if it seemed I was arguing. I wasn’t trying to argue with you. I only quoted you to say I was replying about the exceptions to everyone. It in no way was directed at you nor anyone else.

The CDC Guidelines does not say don't wear a mask if it puts your health at risk. It says:

Cloth face coverings should not be placed on:
1. young children under age 2
2. anyone who has trouble breathing
3. is unconscious, incapacitated or otherwise unable to remove the mask without assistance

As mentioned by the previous posters, I can see some with COPD arguing they regularly have trouble breathing and cannot wear a mask. Given that the conditions that would cause a guest to "have trouble breathing" are associated with a higher risk of COVID, I would assume those guests would prefer to not visit WDW in the middle of a pandemic.

And I will freely admit I'm not a lawyer but my understanding is the ADA accommodations does not mean safety rules do not apply. For example, they do not mean you can ride a ride without the lap bar down. It just means they have to provide reasonable accommodations. Reasonable can mean your choice of a face covering instead of a specific type of face covering.

It might be entirely possible that Disney only wants the diehards in the parks for the first few weeks/months to get a feel for how it will go. They might be purposely putting restrictions in to avoid certain folks.

All I know is this, CM reactions and the vlogs that will come prior to my late August trip will be really important in our decision to come down or not. We don't even mind our Resort stay only, depending on further restrictions.

And while I’m really just enjoying poking the Mask Bear today- on a serious note anyone here who actually intends to go to WDW/DS & is unable to wear a mask should contact Guest Services prior to your trip so you know what to expect.

ETA: we also have a disABILITY forum here that might be of help to you if you’re in that situation and looking for ideas or reports from people who have been once it starts opening again

It might be entirely possible that Disney only wants the diehards in the parks for the first few weeks/months to get a feel for how it will go. They might be purposely putting restrictions in to avoid certain folks.

Bingo, high five for seeing it :) Its called segmented marketing. They know there are guests who no matter what, will come to the parks, so therefore they are making the parks as safe as possible for those guests.

There is this thing in marketing called customer profiles, where people are classified so that products and services can be specifically created for each type of person. So if you are not liking the restrictions and new procedures such as facemasks, then right now Disney is not targeting you

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter