Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nerd Alert! :)
It's expected that this virus will follow the SIR model (Susceptible-Infectious-Recovered/Removed) often used in epidemiology. So what does that mean? As people get the virus and (hopefully) recover, the number of people who could get it gets smaller over time. Subsequent "waves" of widespread infection will become smaller over time. Hopefully we can get a vaccine in time to further decrease the number of infected persons.
That said, Covid-19 can kiss my grits, because I just had to cancel my April 14-25 vacation at POR. Haven't been to Disney World in 10 years! :sad2: Oh well...don't feel sorry for me. I live within an hour of Disneyland.
:sunny:

I have read about that also, it makes sense for sure. I have been trying to dig up the more science based articles then the media.

I wonder if they'll be more strict about meet and greets after this? would it even be possible to enforce personal space rules,
Whatever Disney does after this . .some of it will just be "theater" just to make their guests feel safer from an invisible virus and want to come to the parks. So they will do whatever they feel their customers and the general public expect them to do. So maybe no face characters, maybe more virtual queues, maybe limit the people that get into the park on a given day (lol). They'll evaluate the risk/reward of changing a lot of the old operating parameters.

I am sure a LOT of businesses will change their operating procedures (at least for a while) to get people to come out of their homes and into stores, restaurants, cruise ships and theme parks again. A LOT of our culture could be permanently changing after this. Small businesses shops and restaurants could not come back while the big chains that have the cash and supply chains to stay open (Chick Fil-A, Target, Walmart).

This could be the final death knell for the indoor malls as people just get used to buying things online after this. Movie theaters could struggle to get customers back after everyone is used to movies at your home. Especially after the studios have shown they can just release these movies straight to streaming (like Onward).

Whatever Disney does after this . .some of it will just be "theater" just to make their guests feel safer from an invisible virus and want to come to the parks. So they will do whatever they feel their customers and the general public expect them to do. So maybe no face characters, maybe more virtual queues, maybe limit the people that get into the park on a given day (lol). They'll evaluate the risk/reward of changing a lot of the old operating parameters.

I am sure a LOT of businesses will change their operating procedures (at least for a while) to get people to come out of their homes and into stores, restaurants, cruise ships and theme parks again. A LOT of our culture could be permanently changing after this. Small businesses shops and restaurants could not come back while the big chains that have the cash and supply chains to stay open (Chick Fil-A, Target, Walmart).

This could be the final death knell for the indoor malls as people just get used to buying things online after this. Movie theaters could struggle to get customers back after everyone is used to movies at your home. Especially after the studios have shown they can just release these movies straight to streaming (like Onward).

It will come back. Slowly but it will come back. All of this was said after 9/11 but it came back slowly. Disney after 9/11 took a hit but came back.

TWDC needs to officially make the announcement for extending closing their parks and resorts domestically. The tipping point of this being appropriate is probably today with it being a week out from 4/1. I know they are holding off to relieve their call centers but they need to just bite the bullet because it is going to happen sooner then later.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ed-under-14-day-quarantine-gov-desantis-says/
I can tell you that flights into MCO from NY/NJ will have all passengers quarantined for 14 days. Governor DeSantis said that it doesn't mean you get to stay with your family, but will need to go into isolation (whatever/wherever that is). Apparently, folks were leaving NY area to seek refuge to Florida, but DeSantis said that only moves the problem to Florida.

Now how are they going to monitor vehicle traffic is another question.

https://www.clickorlando.com/news/l...ed-under-14-day-quarantine-gov-desantis-says/
I can tell you that flights into MCO from NY/NJ will have all passengers quarantined for 14 days. Governor DeSantis said that it doesn't mean you get to stay with your family, but will need to go into isolation (whatever/wherever that is). Apparently, folks were leaving NY area to seek refuge to Florida, but DeSantis said that only moves the problem to Florida.

Now how are they going to monitor vehicle traffic is another question.
It might not even be an issue in couple of days if air traffic controllers keep testing positive for coronavirus. That is a legitimate threat to ground air travel for a time period.

It might not even be an issue in couple of days if air traffic controllers keep testing positive for coronavirus. That is a legitimate threat to ground air travel for a time period.

The damage was probably already done once those flights made their way into MCO. Now it's an attempt at damage control after the fact.

TWDC needs to officially make the announcement for extending closing their parks and resorts domestically. The tipping point of this being appropriate is probably today with it being a week out from 4/1. I know they are holding off to relieve their call centers but they need to just bite the bullet because it is going to happen sooner then later.
We should learn something today with cast expected to hear about their schedules or lack thereof for next week.

These spur of the moment mandates are purely to make it appear like the government is "doing something". Basically hoping enough people take the toothless mandate seriously enough to make.

All of these things are about optics . .the government doesn't have enough law enforcement to "force" people to stay home . .to force businesses to close and force people into mandatory self-quarantines.
Well here in Jefferson County AL the police now have the ability to write $500 tickets, per day, to any business that is open when it shouldn't be or isn't following the rules put in place. They have written several already and I suspect it's not that hard to drive through a strip mall and see whose lights are on. Will they get them all? No. But if they make enough examples it becomes real hard to justify paying those fines. Especially as they increase with every offense.

Well here in Jefferson County AL the police now have the ability to write $500 tickets, per day, to any business that is open when it shouldn't be or isn't following the rules put in place. They have written several already and I suspect it's not that hard to drive through a strip mall and see whose lights are on. Will they get them all? No. But if they make enough examples it becomes real hard to justify paying those fines. Especially as they increase with every offense.

That is the only way you can enforce this to any degree in a democcracy. Checking everybody walking down the road is impossible but if you put the enforcement on the business side if no businesses are open it is easier to get people to stay home since there is no where to go. All the places I'd like to go toight are all closed. So I'll get my run in and then come back home.

a friend of mine was there during the time the second person that tested positive in the story above was believed to have been there. She has bad allergies and it's high allergy season here in NC. She did go to her doctor but she didn't have the symptoms so they didn't test her.

That is the only way you can enforce this to any degree in a democcracy. Checking everybody walking down the road is impossible but if you put the enforcement on the business side if no businesses are open it is easier to get people to stay home since there is no where to go. All the places I'd like to go toight are all closed. So I'll get my run in and then come back home.
Yes. This is basically our situation. There are no entertainment options open, and restaurants are pick up only. So unless we need to buy something, there is nowhere to go anyway. So staying home is less of a requirement than simply the only alternative open. It's about the only way it works and it's why I'm sure Disney World will stay closed until at least the end of May, though I expect more like a July 4th reopening. The disease seems to mostly burn itself out in about 4 months if social distancing is effected going by the Chinese and South Korean examples. So we need to hang in there for about 2 months of hard core social distancing and the numbers should drop precipitously.

Of course the problem we have is not everywhere in the U.S. is going to go through the same 2 months. Obviously the urban areas first, then the rural areas, though the pre-emptive social distance in the rural areas might help quite a bit. So I expect if we look at the window between March and July, that will hopefully cover the bulk of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter