Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
definitely varying by area how it is being handled. My kids are getting specific work to do each day, covering all subjects, and they have to submit their work online each day / mark it as complete and then the teachers are reviewing it each night. In addition to regular classes they also have their art, music, and PE classes providing assignments that have to be completed. This is for my kids in grades kindergarten, 2nd, and 5th

Our school year goes until the very end of June, so I guess a chance they could go back at some point, but not sure how much can get accomplished as the kids will probably just gotten used to doing things online
I fully expect our school year just to be cancelled (why go back for just a month?) ..

My point is -- between this and things like the Olympics being cancelled (which is MANY months away) .. it doesn't look good for things like "fun" activities like Walt Disney World to open any time before the summer. The more governments and scientists say "this will last for months" and the more things get cancelled, the less likely ANYTHING will get back to "normal" soon.

It is beginning to feel like this heavy-handed cure is going to be a lot worse than the disease. I fear the fear of the virus (warranted or not) is going to keep us shut in way longer than we should or need to be and destroy the economy in many different sectors beyond quick repair.

Not directly related to WDW, but my state (NC) announced that K-12 schools won't be opening until May 15 -- TWO months after being officially closed just a week ago. No news on how school will or be made up during the summer (school is officially done for year on June 12th around here).

If schools around the country do the same thing and just make students go to school throughout the summer to make up the missing two months, you'll see the tourist industry (like WDW) take an even bigger hit once things get going again.

If a state government is taking steps to keep students from classrooms for two months, it isn't hard to see that there will be EXTREME social and governmental pressure to keep adults and businesses locked down for at least that long too.

We can argue whether we think it is an overreaction or not, but it is what it is .. we are going to have to deal with a wrecked economy come May/June.

Granted, Canada vs. US, but our provincial government has made no bones about saying our shut down will be measured in months, not weeks.

Currently it is assumed physical school is done here for the year (would have gone till June 19th normally). So far they have specifically told the parents NOT to worry about "doing school", however, they plan to start implementing online learning in April. No word on if they'll extend the year or not.

obviously not an apples to apples comparison but just came down that the 2020 Olympics will be postponed, likely until 2021

Definitely the right move. I know Canada had already pulled out.

The truth is that no one knows what will happen. While I am on the camp that a late summer timeline looks like the base case, I would push back on comments that WDW will never reopen, or that it will take 18-24 months, or until a vaccine is available. To those who have that opinion, I wonder if you also think that any public transportation system in the country will be shut down for 18-24 months or until a vaccine is available. What is the difference between being on a bus or on the subway vs being in an inside queue at a ride, or next to people during parades and fireworks?

That's what I don't get about this closures. What is "proven safe"?

What guideline will Disney use as "proven safe?" .. and whatever guideline Disney uses (because .. they are a business and want to open sooner than later) .. there will be MANY that will see it as "irresponsible". They have to walk that line (which means they will probably err on the side of caution .. unfortunately (first world problem I know) for us fans.

I would say for starters cases need to have leveled off and likely even be dropping.

That's what I don't get about this closures. What is "proven safe"?

What guideline will Disney use as "proven safe?" .. and whatever guideline Disney uses (because .. they are a business and want to open sooner than later) .. there will be MANY that will see it as "irresponsible". They have to walk that line (which means they will probably err on the side of caution .. unfortunately (first world problem I know) for us fans.
Well considering Shanghai Disney is still (mostly) closed, and China has reported few homegrown new cases over the last week, I suspect we can watch what happens over there and in Japan. Shanghai shut almost 2 months ago, 1/25, but I suspect they will reopen if the reported trend continues over the next week or two. The rest of China is starting to reopen. I do understand the government has greater sway over Shanghai and HK, but those governments want things to start trending back to normal as soon as possible as well.

[
This is interesting but I’m not sure it is true. I rented points for April (waiting on response from the renter to move it) but the contract does state no refunds... so I’m not sure that it’s true that they can’t keep the money. Sort of a buyer beware situation, right? On another note, I have been surprised that travel insurance doesn’t cover this. I have insurance and I always assumed it would. I’m not making this mistake again which is unfortunate because I’ve rented several times in the past and it has always been great up until this year. But being burned just once, makes it unlikely I will do it again.

Did you rent directly to a DVC member or through an agency? Because I do not understand how you can be waiting for the change of dates if even Disney has not officially announced that it will continue to be closed during April, or do you have any insurance? What they explained to me in the DVC Rental Store is that only once the extension of closure is official, DVC members may be asked to change dates.....I wish there was some way to ask them earlier.

It seems like President Trump wants to back off the quarantine after the initial 15 days which I believe takes it to March 31st. I see cooler heads prevailing here and they exercise two more weeks of a lockdown (although I know it's being done at the state level right now).

Meanwhile by mid April, we will finally see the curve flatten in the United States. Lockdowns will be lifted, but it's unfortunate and likely everything will be temporary.

In terms of Disney, I could see them open again in May, closed in June, re-open in July and piece-meal it until we have herd immunity or a vaccine. If they can keep the whole country from being sick at once, at least maybe the medical professional can keep us afloat. I know it sounds extreme, but that's going to have to be the formula as I see it.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but if they are all open every-other month at least there will be revenue and jobs will be saved along the way.

Last edited:
My Opinion just like everyone else here, I do believe a May/June opening of Disney world is more than likely. Full opening probably not, but an opening with measures. Probably taking peoples temperatures and some other measures.

Like @mattpeto just said there are some hints here and there this lockdown won't last as long as people actually think. Is it a perfect solution NO WAY, but, it is extremely likely things (including Disney) will open back up again while there are sick people still walking around. You simply can not keep a country closed for 12-18 months until every single person is treated or vaccinated. That is a fictional scenario.

Remember something, Disney is a business. The minute the CDC says its safe for Disney to open YOU CAN GUARANTEE THEY WILL AND PEOPLE WILL FLOCK THERE.

Do you have to leave your house and go to Disney, or the stores, or the malls, etc.....NO that will be your choice. But they will open again sooner rather than later.

My Opinion just like everyone else here, I do believe a May/June opening of Disney world is more than likely. Full opening probably not, but an opening with measures. Probably taking peoples temperatures and some other measures.
Like @mattpeto just said there are some hints here and there this lockdown won't last as long as people actually think. Is it a perfect solution NO WAY, but, it is extremely likely things (including Disney) will open back up again while there are sick people still walking around. You simply can not keep a country closed for 12-18 months until every single person is treated or vaccinated. That is a fictional scenario.

Remember something, Disney is a business. The minute the CDC says its safe for Disney to open YOU CAN GUARANTEE THEY WILL AND PEOPLE WILL FLOCK THERE.

Do you have to leave your house and go to Disney, or the stores, or the malls, etc.....NO that will be your choice. But they will open again sooner rather than later.
I’m wondering if one of these existing drugs might not serve as a treatment to help keep us from having so many severe cases. I know they are studying this and there is guarded hope

It seems like President Trump wants to back off the quarantine after the initial 15 days which I believe takes it do March 31st. I see cooler heads prevailing here and they exercise two more weeks of a lockdown (although I know it's being done at the state level right now).

Meanwhile by mid April, we will finally see the curve flatten in the United States. Lockdowns will be lifted, but it's unfortunate and likely everything will be temporary.

In terms of Disney, I could see them open again in May, closed in June, re-open in July and piece-meal it until we have herd immunity or a vaccine. If they can keep the whole country from being sick at once, at least maybe the medical professional can keep us afloat. I know it sounds extreme, but that's going to have to be the formula as I see it.

It's going to be a bumpy ride, but but if they are all open every-other month at least there will be revenue and jobs will be saved along the way.

Yeah saw his tweets, which mostly seem based on Fox news from last night. Personally, I think it's ludicrous to consider ended the lockdown/self-isolation after the initial 15 days. It's only been a week. People are coming back from vacation only now. Reports that a few of the spring breakers who were in Florida have been tested positive for Covid-19. It's only going to get worse before it gets better.

I understand the argument about how the economy can't sustain this, but it has to be monitored carefully. I think the smart thing to do is give it another 2 weeks after the initial 15 day period is over, and then re-evaluate.

As for Disney reopening, my thought are somewhere between mid-May and June 1st. I imagine as others have said, it will not be a full scale reopening, and they will not magically be operating at 100% on Day 1. It's going to take time.

I can't see the parks reopening until there's a big downturn in cases, a treatment or a cure. Any vaccine is at least a year away.

The virus is massively contagious and it simply isn't safe to open public places back up until we can control it. It sucks but it's better than ending up sick.

I can't see the parks reopening until there's a big downturn in cases, a treatment or a cure. Any vaccine is at least a year away.

The virus is massively contagious and it simply isn't safe to open public places back up until we can control it. It sucks but it's better than ending up sick.

In a perfect world, we would all bunker down for months until it’s gone. It’s just not realistic is this civilized world. Not this virus anyway.

The virus will come in waves and that’s the best balanced approach. A rolling wave will help save the economy and keep the patients in the medical beds somewhat at bay.

Disney and other companies are going to have be ultra conservative. Make money while the banned is lifted. In 18 months, it’s back to status quo and the world will all slowly recover.

On the mandatory self-isolation order FL issued for folks flying in from NY and surrounding states, it's useless without some sort of enforcement. And what if someone just drives down rather than flies? They are free from mandatory self-isolation just because they didn't fly down? Again, these spur of the moment type mandates are just not that well thought out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter