Current photo of Castle while being refurbished

March really isn't off season... it is spring break time.

I have been told by Disney booking and Passholder relations that the tarps will be down by the second week in March.

Yeah the wishing well was open the other day. I stayed in the park until about 20 minutes after full park closing (they didn't kick me out :lovestruc) and I could hear it echoing all up and down Main Street :love:

This castle is giving me anxiety

I was just there last weekend. The tarp really isn't the end of the world. It's all how you look at it. If the tarp is up, take pictures in front of and of the tarp. Make it a memory. "We were there while they were updating the castle for the 60th. Bummer not to see the castle itself, but how often do you get to see this?"

I'm glad to see the newer tarp is up. I'll be in DL/DCA/DTD from March 1-5... that weird time when the walk through will re-open.

Do you think more people may show up March 2/3 than expected? Just to see if the tarp comes down after all? (Seems to be some debate on whether or not it will be tarp down or just walk through re-opening at that time.)

I doubt it. I don't think most people think it's coming down that week & those that do are not expecting it to be fully decorated. I agree that I will be surprised if it stays tarpped until May 22nd...So I do think it will come down prior...but will we be lucky enough to see the real castle 1st week of March...just have to wait & see.

Reactions: Jee
We will be there 2/28-3/4, I'm hoping,but not expecting the tarp down... I hear there is a cheerleading competition that week, anyone know if this is true?

We will be there 2/28-3/4, I'm hoping,but not expecting the tarp down... I hear there is a cheerleading competition that week, anyone know if this is true?

Yep, the cheerleaders will be in DCA at the Hyperion Theater for their competition that weekend.

We will be there Sunday, Monday, Tuesday... I hope it mellows out after the dapper day/cheerleading weekend

Anyone know how long the tarp was up for the 50th? I am hoping to go end of april or beginning of may... hoping to see the real thing!

Actually the tarp for the 50th was put up sometime in August 2004 and removed in November of the same year. So the castle was already "revealed" (sans decorations) before 2005 even started. Which is why I have a good feeling that the current tarp will not be staying up all the way until May 22.

This castle is giving me anxiety

Me too! While I am not overjoyed at a few of the ride closures, I can deal with it but that tarp over the castle just breaks my heart. We have friends going at the same time we are and for two of their kids, this is their first trip. I am hoping so badly that the castle won't be covered up for them. We'll be in the parks March 30-April 2.

On that note, they have no idea about the 60th or anything. I tend to forget that my Disney geek baseline is different than the general population :lmao:. I think we'll see regular Spring Break crowds.

Unless there's a lot of wind, I suspect it will look exactly the same for at least the next 2 weeks.

That's not likely at all. The weather over here has been quite warm and sunny.

So, March 2 or 3 the walk-through opens.... But the tarp remains?

Yep, the cheerleaders will be in DCA at the Hyperion Theater for their competition that weekend.

Really? Ah crud. A couple dozen attractions down, the castle tarped, and now swarms of cheerleaders on the weekend. If we could get some freezing hail and a Disney employee strike, that would just about top it off.

We're traveling with friends who have never been to any Disney park before, and I warned her that the castle would likely be covered by scaffolding and a tarp. She shrugged and said that would be fine, and she knows they have to take care of it some time. She told me that when she was in Beijing on her "once in a lifetime trip", 2/3 of the Forbidden City was being repaired or painted, so it was mostly under tarps, too! She then said that seeing the castle would be nice, but the most important thing for her is experiencing Disneyland and enjoying time with family and friends.

I'm glad that she's got that mindset for our trip! I was worried that it might be very disappointing to her, but instead she's not bothered by it at all. :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter