D23 Expo September 9-11, 2022 Superthread **Updates in Posts 2 & 3**

I’ve been reading the comments of the past few days, much of which have concentrated on issues with the Hall D23 panels. While I did attend the Movies and Parks major sessions, the best sessions by far were the relatively smaller ones. Marty Sklars archives panel with his family and Leslie Iwerks, the upcoming 100th preview exhibit at the Franklin Institute, seeing rare videos and hearing rare audios in several panels, speaking with Leonard Maltin, and, yes, even a fully attended Duffy panel. Early morning shopping with no lines, meeting fellow Disney enthusiasts and panels that didn’t require standing on Katella overnight is why I had a great time at the Expo. Maybe those who didn’t should next time forego some of those larger sessions.
Totally agree with your sentiments on the non-Hall D23 panels. They were really great and the reason we went. Surprisingly to me, all of the small panels I mentioned in my previous post did not fill the rooms.

I think there was also disappointment for some folks about not getting certain collectibles. We don't collect pins or dolls or anything so this didn't affect us, but since so many people like them, I wonder why Disney doesn't just expand production? They're leaving money on the table!

I’ve been reading the comments of the past few days, much of which have concentrated on issues with the Hall D23 panels. While I did attend the Movies and Parks major sessions, the best sessions by far were the relatively smaller ones. Marty Sklars archives panel with his family and Leslie Iwerks, the upcoming 100th preview exhibit at the Franklin Institute, seeing rare videos and hearing rare audios in several panels, speaking with Leonard Maltin, and, yes, even a fully attended Duffy panel. Early morning shopping with no lines, meeting fellow Disney enthusiasts and panels that didn’t require standing on Katella overnight is why I had a great time at the Expo. Maybe those who didn’t should next time forego some of those larger sessions.
The “smaller” panels have been our favorites for years - more bang for your buck, often more in depth and well-researched.

Anyone disappointed with the survey. Like it was really long imo asking about brands. Like i wished they would have left it more open ended so you can respond to how your experience was at the expo. I had to leave all my comments at the end which was annoying.

One thing i did find interesting was that survey asked did u take part in the gold member discount at certain stores and they mentioned which ones. I went to the hollywood studios store and when i asked about discounts when i purchased pins they said no discounts on merchandise. So now im thinking i might email them regarding it. But still i wont be able to do much since i shipped my items via ups which has the receipts..

I did mention the glitch with virtual queues since pretty much the app was glitchy.

Also how certain vendors like mickeys glendale expo store let anyone with a barcode in with all of their grp members and didn't adhere to 2 people max on the barcode.

I think biggest gripe was having preferred section but still getting place off to the side and not middle. Disney needs to realize that people think middle is what we paid for with that price. Getting off to the side is not premium view to others. I mentioned the sections they shot confetti out of is preferred view for most fans. How ushers were not accommodating unless you had a medical condition.

Anyone disappointed with the survey. Like it was really long imo asking about brands. Like i wished they would have left it more open ended so you can respond to how your experience was at the expo. I had to leave all my comments at the end which was annoying.

One thing i did find interesting was that survey asked did u take part in the gold member discount at certain stores and they mentioned which ones. I went to the hollywood studios store and when i asked about discounts when i purchased pins they said no discounts on merchandise. So now im thinking i might email them regarding it. But still i wont be able to do much since i shipped my items via ups which has the receipts..

I did mention the glitch with virtual queues since pretty much the app was glitchy.

Also how certain vendors like mickeys glendale expo store let anyone with a barcode in with all of their grp members and didn't adhere to 2 people max on the barcode.

I think biggest gripe was having preferred section but still getting place off to the side and not middle. Disney needs to realize that people think middle is what we paid for with that price. Getting off to the side is not premium view to others. I mentioned the sections they shot confetti out of is preferred view for most fans. How ushers were not accommodating unless you had a medical condition.
Are you talking about the Prefered hall d23 pass or the RSP reserved seating. I had a preferred hall d23 pass and we got seated in the center 4 sections for all the panels. For legends I was closer to the podium side. For the other 4 I went to (didn’t go to Princess concert) we were in one of the center sections. I know some of the group I was with complained about being sat too far to the right at the Friday afternoon panel and they shifted everyone over.

A big thank you to all of you for your guidance for this D23 event! It was the first for my husband and my 13 yr old daughter and you all provided great advice. Additionally, I cannot find the post where someone recommended the Youtube videos from Christian Milan but THANK YOU! I downloaded them for my husband and he watched them on the flights out and found them invaluable for a newbie! Thank you all!

Now, another question - I know they do D23 every 2 years. I know last year they did Destination D23 in Orlando. Assume that a one-off due to Covid? Just curious if that would happen next year? Thank you!!

A big thank you to all of you for your guidance for this D23 event! It was the first for my husband and my 13 yr old daughter and you all provided great advice. Additionally, I cannot find the post where someone recommended the Youtube videos from Christian Milan but THANK YOU! I downloaded them for my husband and he watched them on the flights out and found them invaluable for a newbie! Thank you all!

Now, another question - I know they do D23 every 2 years. I know last year they did Destination D23 in Orlando. Assume that a one-off due to Covid? Just curious if that would happen next year? Thank you!!
They alternate years. Destination D should happen in 2023. It's much smaller. We went last year and it was nice in that there is only one room where presentations happen and everyone with a ticket can get in. No show floor, but still some shopping at MOG. The expo is just massive by comparison! That should happen again in 2024.

As @Duckbug.Ducktales mentioned they alternate years. Before Covid expo was in the odd years with destination d in the even years. Destination D is a panels only 2 day event with MOG shopping and usual at a small archives exhibit. It takes place at the contemporary usually the weekend before thanksgiving in the years it happens. Also, every ticket is guaranteed a seat in the hall.

Maybe double check the cards you might have used at the Expo. I rarely use my Disney Visa and used it at MOG. On the same day I had a fraud charge of almost $500 that I hadn’t caught yet and then they tried again today with a $300 charge that Chase marked suspect. I only used it the once at MOG the entire time I was gone.

I put on the post about Christian Milan. In addition to his videos, he came to the Hilton on Friday night with his daughter where he answered any additional questions. I also met up with him several times during the Expo and he was the best. As an aside, Christian has a website, Goldrushbay.com, where he makes scale model buildings. Glad you had a great time.

I'm positive that it will be another Destination D23 in Orlando since some panel hosts said "Hope to see you in 2024".

Agree with much of the previous comments. I DID do 3 big Hall D23 panels, both Studios ones and Parks. I liked them, with Studios ones being better (to me) than Parks. I also did ELP one, slow at start but great as it went on. I agree about small panels and wish I took Tron over Parks.

ALSO I really loved 2 talks on the show floor, where you just walk in and plop on the floor. One was Ms Marvel (yay) but I REALLY was psyched over one on The Orville! With 4 major cast members! (not Seth McFarland). It was great, I just finished binged all 3 seasons a month ago. It was such a surprise, I walked by, and saw up next, the Orville and I was like WHAT??

IF IF I go again (this was my 6th) I would skip Parks. I did the survey to ask for panels on stuff inside the parks, ride development or ones on a particular film, like Mulan? or whatever. I went to an unforgettable Hercules panel once, it was so so good. How about a Pirates or HM panel? Or do a land, like history of Fantasyyland attractions.

I put on the post about Christian Milan. In addition to his videos, he came to the Hilton on Friday night with his daughter where he answered any additional questions. I also met up with him several times during the Expo and he was the best. As an aside, Christian has a website, Goldrushbay.com, where he makes scale model buildings. Glad you had a great time.
Thank you SO much. You really saved them by referring us to those videos. This is the reason why I love these boards - so helpful!

They alternate years. Destination D should happen in 2023. It's much smaller. We went last year and it was nice in that there is only one room where presentations happen and everyone with a ticket can get in. No show floor, but still some shopping at MOG. The expo is just massive by comparison! That should happen again in 2024.
Thanks so much, again!! So if they follow the same pattern, and Tgiving 2023 is Thurs Nov 23, 2023 then Destination D should be Fri Nov 17 through Sun Nov 19?

Thanks so much, again!! So if they follow the same pattern, and Tgiving 2023 is Thurs Nov 23, 2023 then Destination D should be Fri Nov 17 through Sun Nov 19?
Yup. I will be making reservations for BLT at the Contemporary for that weekend as soon as I'm able in expectation that it'll take place then. If it's like last year (and I believe years past as well), there won't be panels on Friday but probably a special screening of an upcoming movie (we saw Encanto a week early!) then panels on Saturday and Sunday. So I will try to go to Destination D as well.

I will say, comparing both, I do think the Expo is more fun because there is so much to do and there are more special performances (my favorite parts). On the flip side, Destination is not so frantic or overwhelming, and no waiting in lines.

Yup. I will be making reservations for BLT at the Contemporary for that weekend as soon as I'm able in expectation that it'll take place then. If it's like last year (and I believe years past as well), there won't be panels on Friday but probably a special screening of an upcoming movie (we saw Encanto a week early!) then panels on Saturday and Sunday. So I will try to go to Destination D as well.

I will say, comparing both, I do think the Expo is more fun because there is so much to do and there are more special performances (my favorite parts). On the flip side, Destination is not so frantic or overwhelming, and no waiting in lines.
Another thing for people that are potentially considering going to destination D, OI does a meet up/park buy out at Universal typically in the fall/winter and for the last couple of years one of their weekends is the weekend of when destination d usually is if your looking for other things to add on to that trip.

Another thing for people that are potentially considering going to destination D, OI does a meet up/park buy out at Universal typically in the fall/winter and for the last couple of years one of their weekends is the weekend of when destination d usually is if your looking for other things to add on to that trip.
Cool! What's OI? 😅

For anyone that went to the Halloween party, how are you guys getting photos if you did them and the cast member took a pic on the qr code on the wristband.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter