DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I know, in this thread, my reason is not going to be popular BUT there is an opposite side of the coin and some need to be reminded it’s not just those using DAS that have disabilities and visit the parks.

I have a member of my family with disabilities that include MS. Because of the MS he is a non rider. We actually quit visiting Disney annually before Genie+ because the wait times were too long for the rest of us (He mainly enjoys sitting and people watching) our-last big Disney trip was Jan 2023 and Genie+ was amazing, our wait times for rides were 5-15 minutes so he always had company.

I want Disney to help and accommodate everyone. But the LL’s were never meant to be a solution for this many people.

I do want to get the quick LL service I paid for.
Exactly!

And it's not just getting the service that Genie+ and ILL paid for, it's also that the LLs have, in some cases, become unmanageable even for DAS users. Then throw in that the unplanned capacity caused by DAS overuse and abuse caused the standby lines to become even longer, and it's easy to see why Disney had to do something.

My sister, who has Crohn's, isn't even going to apply for a DAS now that she knows that return to queue will always be an option. We were discussing that it would be nice if Disney World would offer the same rider switch accommodation that is, based on the Disneyland site, going to be available at DL. Perhaps they will and they just haven't publicized it yet, but for us (when traveling with my sister), that would be an even better accommodation on some days.

the whole point to the change is to limit people abusing the system correct? I don’t think the new rules will prevent that.
I would love to see the data comparing universals policy vs Disney policy. The Universal program requires medical proof.
I don’t want to fight anyone.

the whole point to the change is to limit people abusing the system correct? I don’t think the new rules will prevent that.
I would love to see the data comparing universals policy vs Disney policy. The Universal program requires medical proof.
I don’t want to fight anyone.
Not just abuse, but overuse, i.e, guests who could be accommodated with something other than DAS.

I saw some stuff elsewhere about no advance selections now...Is that accurate?
The Advanced Selections were originally a sort of "carrot on a stick" to get people to do the online pre-registration. Disney has decided Advanced Selections will no longer be an automatic, though it is thought they may be offered to some individuals based on needs. Reports around here were probably 50/50 (at best) whether folks ended up using their Advanced Selections.

Can you explain 3? Not sure what are you mean.
You said DAS looks exactly the same. How DAS works in the parks is the same. Use the app, get a Return Time equivalent to posted standby minus ~10 minutes, go to the attraction at any point after that time. The significant change is with regards to who may qualify for DAS vs who may be told there are other accommodations available. There are 2 minor changes which is a limit of 4 instead of 6 and get your next DAS Return Time 10 minutes after tapping in to a current return time, plus no more automatic Advanced Selections for doing online pre-registration.

The problem with this approach is the cost factor, and the commitment, along with the removal of in-park CM access to get accomodations adjusted once on-site. If a park ticket is running in excess of $100 / day / person, and hotel accomodations are in the $200 / night range, then to "try the accomodations" for a day or two for a family of 4 is a commitment of $600 - $1200. That doesn't even factor in the cost for transportation, the opportunity cost for the vacation time, etc.

This kind of change feels similar to when my medical insurance company decides to change their formulary in order to cut their prescription costs, and then forces their members to try alternative therapies before approving to pay for the existing prescriptions the member is currently taking with success.
I do believe that Disney need to do the right thing (IMO, at least) and make exceptions to their refund policies for the next few months. While I know that it's always been in the realm of possibility that one could be denied a DAS even after receiving it for years, I'm guessing that was very, very rare. People have come to expect it, and they plan trips based on that expectation.

Would anyone residing in the US be able to "copy paste" here the most accurate info from the website regarding DAS?

Link wouldn't work as I'm in Europe and links get redirected to the local website. With no info at all about DAS.

I can't use VPN at the moment. Thank you!

This is the main "Accessing Attractions" page:

Accessing Attraction Queues​

Guest ServicelocatedatWalt Disney World® Resort
Learn more about how Guests with mental or physical impairments can access attractions queues while in the theme parks.

Walt Disney World Resort offers a variety of programs that assist Guests in accessing attraction queues. Some of the programs listed below are available to all Guests and help maximize the time spent in the parks.
Some of the programs described below provide accommodations that may be required for specific types of mental or physical impairments. Guests with disabilities can learn more about these programs, including how they operate and whether they may be eligible, through a personalized conversation with Accessibility Services.
Some of these options are available only at select attractions. We encourage all Guests to be familiar with the programs described below because they may provide valuable assistance in navigating attraction queues.
Here are a few tips and techniques to manage waiting in queues:
  • Encourage other members of your party to help create space around you in line to make it more comfortable.
  • In a theme park environment that requires additional walking or standing, bring a mobility device such as a wheelchair, ECV, walker with a seat or a cane chair.
  • Bring a sensory toy or a calming item—such as a stress ball, favorite device or activity like a tablet, video game, comic book or another item that may be calming or distracting while waiting in a queue.
  • Grab a snack or drink to enjoy while waiting in a queue. Just be sure to finish it before boarding the attraction.
  • Break up your day with other offerings at the Resort that don’t require waiting in a queue, such as entertainment.
  • Don’t forget other items to keep yourself comfortable. Some items to consider bringing include sweater or jacket, sun protection or hat.
Below is a list of options to assist guests in accessing attraction queues.
Rider Switch
Single Rider
Attraction Queue Re-Entry
Disney Genie Service
Disability Access Service
Stroller as a Wheelchair Tag
Navigating Queues with Service Animals

And this is the brief description of DAS:

Disability Access Service (DAS)​

DAS is one of our programs offered at Walt Disney World theme parks intended to accommodate those Guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time.
Guests may have a conversation with a Cast Member to determine eligibility for DAS via live video chat. There is not an in-person option to request DAS Registration.

taking all of this with a grain of salt as I see something noteworthy across other threads, but this just populated:

"From an attraction CM, where there is an LL option the “return to line” process will use the LL line to the merge point. Parties either meet there or are held at that point.

The really important thing is to remember to tell the CM at the entrance when you leave the line."
And how do you do that when you are rushing to the bathroom and every second counts? Also, how do you leave the line if you have a mobility device?

I wish there was an easier way to ask these questions about other accomodations rather than waiting. Especially for those who do not live in driving distance and can go to guest services easily. For a lot of these clarifications we are still in the dark.

Is there any info how to re-enter the queue to join your party if there is NO one to join to?
I mean if it's just me and my husband who is pushing my wheelchair leaving the queue?

I missed a lot of pages apologies if it has been asked/answered before.
Unfortunately there hasn't been much in the way of details posted. Some are assuming it works like a current "bathroom" pass that apparently many families with young children have been using -- they leave the queue, speak with a CM as leaving, and are directed to the LL when they return and held at the merge point to join their party. If you are a party of 1 or 2 and need to leave, we haven't really seen definitive reports.

This is only the first day of the new DAS qualifications for registration. Most if not all people in the parks today registered under the old rules. It may still be a couple of weeks before we see a lot of first-hand reports of how processes work within the parks.

Is there any info how to re-enter the queue to join your party
This is what's posted on the WDW website currently, though it probably doesn't answer your question about a party of 2 with a wheelchair and a pusher:

Attraction Queue Re-Entry

There may be times when a Guest must briefly step out of the standby line and then rejoin their party in the line. Every location has a defined process to support this option based on a person’s disability while the rest of the party remains in line.
How to Use Queue Re-entry
Speak to a Cast member at the location for directions on how to re-enter the queue.
  1. A Cast Member will provide details about how to exit the queue and how to navigate back to your party.
  2. While the Guest who must leave the line is briefly away, the rest of the party will remain in line.
  3. The Guest reunites with their party to ride the attraction.
Note: Guests must meet boarding requirements to ride.

I am so annoyed by the having other people in your party create space around you. Literally at haunted mansion they said if you see floor you need to move up. If people in front of you don’t move up you can go ahead of them to fill in all available space. How are you supposed to have a bubble? Aside from the fact it is just 2 of us. I experienced this on several rides (not so explicit but they told us to move forward to fill in all space on several rides). I am at the point I can’t tolerate the time before you go inside for the ride. I am always able to make some space in the pre show rooms and stay at the back when people are funneling onto the conveyer belt but dang they don’t seem to know what the ride employees are asking you to do

Unfortunately there hasn't been much in the way of details posted. Some are assuming it works like a current "bathroom" pass that apparently many families with young children have been using -- they leave the queue, speak with a CM as leaving, and are directed to the LL when they return and held at the merge point to join their party. If you are a party of 1 or 2 and need to leave, we haven't really seen definitive reports.

This is only the first day of the new DAS qualifications for registration. Most if not all people in the parks today registered under the old rules. It may still be a couple of weeks before we see a lot of first-hand reports of how processes work within the parks.
Yes, good point. We probably will only found out the details in 30 days time...

I just assumed they posted a more definitive guideline how will it work so one can prepare. It's kinda important for me to know ☺️.

As preparation is essential for the most of us.

... The Universal program requires medical proof.
I LOL every time someone says Universal requires “medical proof”. People got approved by the outfit that vets for UOR by submitting things like a handicap placard, my fav is a single page of an IEP- there isn’t even a doctor involved in one of those. If Disney did something like that the program would implode on itself in less than 6 months.

I know, in this thread, my reason is not going to be popular BUT there is an opposite side of the coin and some need to be reminded it’s not just those using DAS that have disabilities and visit the parks.

I have a member of my family with disabilities that include MS. Because of the MS he is a non rider. We actually quit visiting Disney annually before Genie+ because the wait times were too long for the rest of us (He mainly enjoys sitting and people watching) our-last big Disney trip was Jan 2023 and Genie+ was amazing, our wait times for rides were 5-15 minutes so he always had company.

I want Disney to help and accommodate everyone. But the LL’s were never meant to be a solution for this many people.

I do want to get the quick LL service I paid for.
That makes your motivation clear. It is not that your primary interest is in providing appropriate services to the disabled. It is your belief that this impedes your access to the LL and you resent it…. because you paid and they didn’t… believe that Disney can address their needs without impinging on your experience. So it is self interest… which is fine when it’s you. But not when it’s someone else who is articulating self interest. When others offer alternative experiences you are conveniently dismissive… as though yours is the only one that is valid. Because it’s really you and your experience.
And you project that… my relative sat on a bench and was happy as we used our Genie + to have a swell time going from attraction to attraction. That is not the experience of the most DAS families… again and again people have posted the struggle…how few rides they can do, leaving the park. You have none of that anxiety before or during your trip.

I’m genuinely concerned how this will affect families… most of whom “pay” for their disabilities every single day… and with the worry and emotional toll it takes. I’m praying that this place can remain a refuge of happiness and escape from the day to day challenges… for the children and the child in all of us.

I LOL every time someone says Universal requires “medical proof”. People got approved by the outfit that vets for UOR by submitting things like a handicap placard, my fav is a single page of an IEP- there isn’t even a doctor involved in one of those. If Disney did something like that the program would implode on itself in less than 6 months.
I admit I don’t know all the facts and made a sweeping generalization. I was under the assumption that one would need a medical note. Or are you saying that universal does require medical proof from a doctor but people have submitted handicap placards and were approved? Why do you think it would implode at Disney?

At this point it seems like very few cases of non-developmental disabilities will be approved for DAS but that SOME will be approved because of how the individual is able to describe their needs and it being made clear why the other options absolutely would not work for that individual.

I’m seeing reports of autism being denied as well (specifically in adults) which stresses me out slightly but it honestly seems like a lot of these people added autism to their list of needs as a last resort when their other needs were denied DAS. If autism (I really hope they described it and didn’t just say autism) is the very last reason you list for not being able to queue then that comes off as it being the least of your concerns and therefore (fairly, in my opinion) the cast member is probably assuming that it has low impact on your ability to queue. Or even worse, that you’re lying about it because based off the website you assumed it would get you approved and you’re resorting to claiming it when your legitimate reasons got denied.
I've seen that in various places (Facebook and some other forums) where people were asking about DAS. It was pretty obvious in many cases that they were just 'fishing' to see what they would need to get DAS. They would start out with "my child has Xxxxx. What do we need to do to get DAS." As people replied saying that Xxxxx didn't affect waiting in lines, the original poster would keep adding things. Often, after 4-6 go rounds, they would add, "oh, I forgot.He has autism." Not exactly something someone would forget
I saw some stuff elsewhere about no advance selections now...Is that accurate?
I think lanejudy answered already.
They started out as an incentive for guests to use the advance video registration. They no longer will be given. There are a couple websites indicating they might be offered to a small subset of DAS registered guests. But, they won't be offered to all guests registered for DAS and may not be offered to anyone.
Would anyone residing in the US be able to "copy paste" here the most accurate info from the website regarding DAS?

Link wouldn't work as I'm in Europe and links get redirected to the local website. With no info at all about DAS.

I can't use VPN at the moment. Thank you!
I see @lanejudy already copied and posted some things for you.
We have a thread dedicated to the changes that have been reported. The first 3 posts on that thread will be updated as we find out info.
DAS Update thread

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter