DAS changes starting June 18

I'm happy they are making it a family-only sort of pass. I mean, I hope they will allow larger families to still use it. But I'm glad people can't bring 6 or 7 friends with them now. Though I think if people only ever visit with friends, maybe the could be allowed at least 1 guest with them on DAS. But not the amount they allow now, which I think is 6 or 7.
It's DAS user + 3 guests OR immediate family only (for exceptions where a family has 3 kids for example). So friend groups are still covered up to 3 friends.

I agree tho, I am glad that folks won't be able to bring their family plus 3rd cousins plus the 3rd cousins 10 best friends with them.

The only thing I wonder is if they’ll give you a “rider switch” return time if it’s one person. Or maybe they will issue “DAS for 1” type of thing? And I think someone was posting here they had a mom in wheelchair. She has bathroom issues and the mom has bathroom issues. Maybe they’d both qualify for “DAS for 1”? Because the whole point is to get less people in the LL.

I think they just expanded rider switch to include all rides. In the past it was limited to shorties that couldn’t ride and 2 other reasons. It was limited to only rides with height requirements. It now says rider switch is available at all attractions.

That would be my mom and me. I push her in a manual wheelchair at Disneyland (WDW she gets a ECV). I also have anxiety on top of the bathroom issues and the one can impact the other. I was thinking a bathroom pass might be ok for me when solo, but not when together. But the rider switch, that just sounds awful as now we get to spend our whole days apart. Especially concerning since my mom is in her 80s and her memory is definitely going (despite what she says). I am not going to be able to leave her for a period of time doing rider switch. Plus, she cannot propel the wheelchair anyway. Ugh - I am willing to give this time to shake out, but I am very concerned.

I feel like my only choice is going to be to shell out $$$ to Disney with G+ LL or do rider switch out and spend most of the day without my family. Not great choices. I'm so disappointed in Disney.

That would be my mom and me. I push her in a manual wheelchair at Disneyland (WDW she gets a ECV). I also have anxiety on top of the bathroom issues and the one can impact the other. I was thinking a bathroom pass might be ok for me when solo, but not when together. But the rider switch, that just sounds awful as now we get to spend our whole days apart. Especially concerning since my mom is in her 80s and her memory is definitely going (despite what she says). I am not going to be able to leave her for a period of time doing rider switch. Plus, she cannot propel the wheelchair anyway. Ugh - I am willing to give this time to shake out, but I am very concerned.
That’s what I’m saying. They’re going to have to provide an accommodation that will meet your needs. You can’t do rider switch. But I know they’re making this change to weed out large groups, they’re not trying to make life harder for those with disabilities. Maybe they’ll allow you to us DAS because you don’t have a group and neither of you can go in standby alone.

Has anyone had a in person conversation since the changes were announced in teh last few days, all this speculation is fine but it would be nice to hear what standard they are using now as opposed to june 18th,
It's DAS user + 3 guests OR immediate family only (for exceptions where a family has 3 kids for example). So friend groups are still covered up to 3 friends.

I agree tho, I am glad that folks won't be able to bring their family plus 3rd cousins plus the 3rd cousins 10 best friends with them.

Has anyone had a in person conversation since the changes were announced in teh last few days, all this speculation is fine but it would be nice to hear what standard they are using now as opposed to june 18th,
Renewed my DAS today at a kiosk in the park. CM was very nice and asked the same questions as before. She said that my DAS is the same as before, but expires at 30 days, not 60. My next renewal will expire on 6/17 (the day before the new program starts).

I was able to get DAS with no issues on Saturday for my Mid-May trip via the online chat for reasons seemingly not covered by the new guidelines. I do think some things may still be case by case. Like the bathroom pass to leave the line not being an option for those traveling alone.

Developmental disorders can include anxiety and PTSD, however, the impairment has to have been developed by the age of 22 so this new policy largely excludes adults with these disorders.

I agree with you. This is so stupid. Also, Development Disorders and Anxiety Disorders are not the same thing. They are two separate/distinct categories. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. There are many issues that can develop after someone turns 22 that could require the need for an accommodation.

I was able to get DAS with no issues on Saturday for my Mid-May trip via the online chat for reasons seemingly not covered by the new guidelines. I do think some things may still be case by case. Like the bathroom pass to leave the line not being an option for those traveling alone.
New guidelines don't start until 6/18 so anyone traveling before then have nothing to worry about if you're used to the current system.

I agree with you. This is so stupid. Also, Development Disorders and Anxiety Disorders are not the same thing. They are two separate/distinct categories. PTSD is an anxiety disorder. There are many issues that can develop after someone turns 22 that could require the need for an accommodation.
Especially if you're in the military and end up in an active war zone...So PTSD you get after age 22 doesn't qualify???

New guidelines don't start until 6/18 so anyone traveling before then have nothing to worry about if you're used to the current system.
Correct. The poster I responded to was asking about NOW not after 6/18.

However I do still believe after 6/18 there will be leeway and things will be decided on a case by case basis. For example someone like myself where the need to use a restroom is sudden and must be handled immediately, under the new guidelines will be offered a return to line pass to allow them to use the restroom and rejoin their group in line. However if a person is traveling solo, as I am, this is not going to work. They may still offer DAS.

Well, I hope they don't make DAS do rider switch if they're only with one person. My daughter qualifies, and based on what I've heard will still qualify, but spending most of the day riding the attractions alone while I queue alone would pretty much ruin the trip for us.

Not to mention that telling someone with anxiety-related reasons for needing DAS that they're going to have to wait alone for their parent or companion, then ride alone, may not be a great idea. My daughter's DAS qualification isn't specifically anxiety, but it's definitely made worse by anxiety.

Well, I hope they don't make DAS do rider switch if they're only with one person. My daughter qualifies, and based on what I've heard will still qualify, but spending most of the day riding the attractions alone while I queue alone would pretty much ruin the trip for us.

Not to mention that telling someone with anxiety-related reasons for needing DAS that they're going to have to wait alone for their parent or companion, then ride alone, may not be a great idea. My daughter's DAS qualification isn't specifically anxiety, but it's definitely made worse by anxiety.
She would be able to ride with you theoretically. Unfortunately it’s a wait and see at this point.

They’re (possibly lightly) starting to implement it now. In one of my social media groups someone was denied DAS and told to use rider switch. Disneyland’s disability guide specifically mentions cannot wait the duration of the queue, needs access to restrooms, queue may trigger anxiety or claustrophobia, mobility concerns and prefers not to use a mobility device. This is a screenshot from this link https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...AlzXNHXwVbNw1zvSWQz_dyn9RrAXJmi6Xk7K7yfWGKF_8View attachment 850740
I'm one adult traveling with 4 minors, one with autism. Order switch would not work because I'd be leaving kids alone.

This may be where a "case by case" basis comes into play.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter