DAS changes starting June 18

Talked to Friend last night about these latest developments since we've gone many times to DL w/her and her disabled DH. She & I were glad to read that cane-chairs will be allowed to bring into the park. I already found a sturdy one on Amazon that could work pretty well for him, so he would be able to sit and take a load off of his ankle. They'll still need to end up using some of the accommodations for physical disabilities so he has extra time to get on and off rides, and doing stuff like walking up the exit at BTMRR and IJ in order to avoid stairs (stairs are hard for him physically + he's blind and cannot see and navigating through multiple flights of stairs is pretty impossible for him...a few stairs are ok, but all of the stairs at IJ and BTMRR in the regular queue are a no go for him).

We will end up purchasing Genie+ more often now when we go w/them.
I'm sorry to hear this

I Personally would let anyone with a cane use DAS. I really wish Q's had benches or seats

She & I were glad to read that cane-chairs will be allowed to bring into the park. I already found a sturdy one on Amazon that could work pretty well for him, so he would be able to sit and take a load off of his ankle.
I thought this was interesting and a good change. When I asked about bringing a cane chair in 2015 they said those aren't allowed. It will be helpful for lots of people, I'm sure.

I really wish Q's had benches or seats
Me, too! It would make such a difference. I suppose there's either no space for them or they just want to keep people moving along.

Standing for a long time is painful for people with a bad back or other physical issue.

Really, after a few days in the park I bet almost everyone would like to be able to sit down for a few minutes during a super long wait.

Me, too! It would make such a difference. I suppose there's either no space for them or they just want to keep people moving along.

Standing for a long time is painful for people with a bad back or other physical issue.

Really, after a few days in the park I bet almost everyone would like to be able to sit down for a few minutes during a super long wait.
I am not sure how well that would work in practice tbh. There are benches on RotR and the line moves so quickly we never really get a chance to use them for more than a few minutes (if that).

Although I suppose that someone could choose to stay seated for a bit a let the guests behind them pass till they are ready to start again. That might be a good way to go about it.

I wrote to Disneyland about DAS yesterday and got a form letter reply today. I did notice this on the accessibility website they sent me to:

"Should you or any member of your party have a photosensitivity or seizure disorder, we recommend that you check with your personal physician for specific instructions before visiting Walt Disney World Resort."

This is the kind of issue that seems like a gray area now. Like they aren't offering anything to help guests with those conditions, just saying they should talk to their doctor. And what if the doctor says, "Don't stand in the bright sun for too long." Would that person qualify for DAS or not? Of course getting DAS doesn't mean you avoid the lines altogether, but it shortens the time you'd be out in the sun, which would be necessary for people with various conditions. When walking around the park it's easy to escape the sun by popping into a shady area or store. But in line there's nowhere to go.

I wrote to Disneyland about DAS yesterday and got a form letter reply today. I did notice this on the accessibility website they sent me to:

"Should you or any member of your party have a photosensitivity or seizure disorder, we recommend that you check with your personal physician for specific instructions before visiting Walt Disney World Resort."

This is the kind of issue that seems like a gray area now. Like they aren't offering anything to help guests with those conditions, just saying they should talk to their doctor. And what if the doctor says, "Don't stand in the bright sun for too long." Would that person qualify for DAS or not? Of course getting DAS doesn't mean you avoid the lines altogether, but it shortens the time you'd be out in the sun, which would be necessary for people with various conditions. When walking around the park it's easy to escape the sun by popping into a shady area or store. But in line there's nowhere to go.
In Fresh baked Video he talks about Disney Attitude is basically if you covered by DAS, you should buy Genie Plus

But hopefully the people they are hiring are understanding and want all those who can't stand in line a pass. But from the emails and person I talked to they seem to not be able to commit on the next Policy at all so most of this is up in the air until then

Talked to Friend last night about these latest developments since we've gone many times to DL w/her and her disabled DH. She & I were glad to read that cane-chairs will be allowed to bring into the park. I already found a sturdy one on Amazon that could work pretty well for him, so he would be able to sit and take a load off of his ankle. They'll still need to end up using some of the accommodations for physical disabilities so he has extra time to get on and off rides, and doing stuff like walking up the exit at BTMRR and IJ in order to avoid stairs (stairs are hard for him physically + he's blind and cannot see and navigating through multiple flights of stairs is pretty impossible for him...a few stairs are ok, but all of the stairs at IJ and BTMRR in the regular queue are a no go for him).

If you read this on the Disney website, I would print off a copy of that.
Then if a CM tries to deny entry with a cane-chair you can whip out the copy of their rule.

Remember many say.... when you ask more than one CM the same question you might get different answers from each one.

So asked DAS current CM's about the process and got this response when asking about certain types of conditions

So basically until June 18th we won't know 100% what will still be covered.

Our first day in the parks is June 18th. So I can do a video call to register my son on May 18th. Do we think I'll be speaking to one of the current CMs to register or will it be the new guidelines and CMs?

Our first day in the parks is June 18th. So I can do a video call to register my son on May 18th. Do we think I'll be speaking to one of the current CMs to register or will it be the new guidelines and CMs?
You may want to email them but from what they are telling me, I think it would be the new process by then. I think the cut off date is the 17th and everything after that you need to get the DAS pass again

So I am going bymyself to disneyland in May, I am usually an able to get Das, Are they operating as before until June 18th and that's when their new rules take affect or are they doing it now with the regualr castmembers? Has there been anybody been at the parks the last 2 days and tried to get DAs?
You may want to email them but from what they are telling me, I think it would be the new process by then. I think the cut off date is the 17th and everything after that you need to get the DAS pass again

In Fresh baked Video he talks about Disney Attitude is basically if you covered by DAS, you should buy Genie Plus

But hopefully the people they are hiring are understanding and want all those who can't stand in line a pass. But from the emails and person I talked to they seem to not be able to commit on the next Policy at all so most of this is up in the air until then

So I am going bymyself to disneyland in May, I am usually an able to get Das, Are they operating as before until June 18th and that's when their new rules take affect or are they doing it now with the regualr castmembers? Has there been anybody been at the parks the last 2 days and tried to get DAs?
I'd try to do the video chat and talk to the CM about DAS when you're 30 days from your trip. It seems like you should be able to get it because the new changes won't have started yet, but I don't think you can be sure until you talk to the CM.

Talked to Friend last night about these latest developments since we've gone many times to DL w/her and her disabled DH. She & I were glad to read that cane-chairs will be allowed to bring into the park...

I thought this was interesting and a good change. When I asked about bringing a cane chair in 2015 they said those aren't allowed. It will be helpful for lots of people, I'm sure.
We just saw someone with a cane chair in DL a few weeks ago. I was surprised at first because I know these haven't been allowed in the past; but as you both note, this is a positive change that can really help people who need them.

Last edited:
They’re (possibly lightly) starting to implement it now. In one of my social media groups someone was denied DAS and told to use rider switch. Disneyland’s disability guide specifically mentions cannot wait the duration of the queue, needs access to restrooms, queue may trigger anxiety or claustrophobia, mobility concerns and prefers not to use a mobility device. This is a screenshot from this link https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...AlzXNHXwVbNw1zvSWQz_dyn9RrAXJmi6Xk7K7yfWGKF_8IMG_9072.png

Last edited:

And this my friends makes my point. Disney will push the disabilty/accessability envelope legally to get more people to buy G+. That's it.

They’re (possibly lightly) starting to implement it now. In one of my social media groups someone was denied DAS and told to use rider switch. Disneyland’s disability guide specifically mentions cannot wait the duration of the queue, needs access to restrooms, queue may trigger anxiety or claustrophobia, mobility concerns and prefers not to use a mobility device. This is a screenshot from this link https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...AlzXNHXwVbNw1zvSWQz_dyn9RrAXJmi6Xk7K7yfWGKF_8View attachment 850740

So they were told to use this instead of DAS? That doesn't make sense to me. Because the above is when there's a guest who does NOT want to ride at all.

They’re (possibly lightly) starting to implement it now. In one of my social media groups someone was denied DAS and told to use rider switch. Disneyland’s disability guide specifically mentions cannot wait the duration of the queue, needs access to restrooms, queue may trigger anxiety or claustrophobia, mobility concerns and prefers not to use a mobility device. This is a screenshot from this link https://cdn1.parksmedia.wdprapps.di...AlzXNHXwVbNw1zvSWQz_dyn9RrAXJmi6Xk7K7yfWGKF_8View attachment 850740
It seems like they shouldn't start until June 18 since that's when the new policy starts. But I don't see how rider switch will help a person with the listed issues. They still have to go through the regular line, not LL, don't they?

It seems like they shouldn't start until June 18 since that's when the new policy starts. But I don't see how rider switch will help a person with the listed issues. They still have to go through the regular line, not LL, don't they?
No.

"Once the first Guest returns the waiting Guest can board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again!"

What if you have bathroom issues and are solo?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter