Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

I was happy to see if I can help the family that rented my points if I could. I don’t feel any obligation to provide points to another person. I am not sure if I will agree to my points being Re-rented. I would rather draw a line under this and move on. It’s a lot of extra hassle trying to match up points/dates etc. I would have a very different approach if David’s were sticking to the contracted payment dates. David might not survive and any Promise of future payments will be worthless.
My offer to rebook or transfer points was not accepted.
I agree, I would rather cut ties altogether, but am tied in to several more rental reservations. I did manage to persuade David’s to pay the final 30% from 18th March rental (but the resort was still open then) and waiting to see what happens with April reservation. Because they are fully paid for, I am happy to re rent the points from March.....they are August 2020 points, so lots of potential, but I have just had a request to book a reservation for 3 more points than the original booking!!! I have no more points to play with as all my 2021 points are already tied into the 3 more reservations with David’s in December and January. I worry how this will all end. I am not in a position to pay back the 70% to cut ties with David, but have no faith in getting the 30% from all the future bookings and wonder how messy the re rental of points will become.

As a renter, I would like to see if the owner would consider splitting the cost 50/50 if they lost points, but I’m unsure how to convey that to David’s. I’m afraid that if the owner gives back 100%, David’s will only pass on 50% of that since they know I will be happy with that and nobody will be the wiser. I am sure though, that I will not be accepting a travel credit.

As a renter, I would like to see if the owner would consider splitting the cost 50/50 if they lost points, but I’m unsure how to convey that to David’s. I’m afraid that if the owner gives back 100%, David’s will only pass on 50% of that since they know I will be happy with that and nobody will be the wiser. I am sure though, that I will not be accepting a travel credit.

Seems like David's is keeping 100% of whatever monies the owners send back.

I know many posters in this thread are "pro-owner" Your statement is way over the top,hopefully meant as hyperbole.

A person checks out early for valid reasons. It's certainly not very close to fraud to ask if a partial refund is due. It's not close to fraud to ask the broker if a partial refund is due. It's not close to fraud to even as the member (owner) if a partial refund is due.

To be clear I don't think the renter is entitled to anything other then a, polite, sorry but no response.
At the time of the post, I did not know it was only a partial refund request. cvjw clarified in a following post. I have a vacation rental in FL and after an individual stayed at my property and then initiated a chargeback w MC, I can assure you that my local Sheriff's Office had no problem opening an investigation on that charge. I agree that modifying the request to only those nights not used makes a big difference on how it's viewed. Glad we both agree cvjw has no reason to return any previously paid funds to David's. :)

That is very condescending language from a company that would have no good reason not to pass that money right on to renters (except their own interests) instead of holding it as a credit for future use with an entirely different owner.
I agree. Is the reason for not using the Owners' refunds to directly compensate their Renters be bc NOT including their commission in the refund would be a pretty glaring omission? Or, is the request mainly to infuse cash into the company? How would the broker account for a double payment? Why would anyone refund if their Renter doesn't receive the money? Too many questions.

Seems like David's is keeping 100% of whatever monies the owners send back.

Really? How do you know this? We got an email from Davids over the weekend requesting that we refund the 70% and that t would go to the renter as a travel credit. Interesting of note it certainly seems like we arent obligated to refund the money but Davids is asking people to do the right thing. It sucks because the rented points are banked points so we will most likely lose them but I dont want the renting family to be left out in the cold. If Davids is just going to pocket the money, and if go out of business then that travel credit isnt worth anything. I would much rather they refund the money to the renter...especially since I am still left figuring out what to do with these banked points (I am going to assume there will be no availability between now and end of my UY once things reopen).

Really? How do you know this? We got an email from Davids over the weekend requesting that we refund the 70% and that t would go to the renter as a travel credit. Interesting of note it certainly seems like we arent obligated to refund the money but Davids is asking people to do the right thing. It sucks because the rented points are banked points so we will most likely lose them but I dont want the renting family to be left out in the cold. If Davids is just going to pocket the money, and if go out of business then that travel credit isnt worth anything. I would much rather they refund the money to the renter...especially since I am still left figuring out what to do with these banked points (I am going to assume there will be no availability between now and end of my UY once things reopen).

If you refund the money, he keeps the cash, and the renter gets the travel credit for a future trip,

The renter is not being offered to receive a refund, even if the owner refunds the money.

That is what many owners here are having a problem with In his newest plan. If the renter ends up not being able to use the travel credit, he just ends up with money to keep for future payments, and IMO, help with the CC chargebacks he is dealing with.

They are saying it right there to you in the email, the money they’re asking for is going to David’s, and they are giving the renter a travel credit instead of their money back. It is of no benefit to you the owner, or the renter to hold this as a credit. The only party it helps is David’s.

I’m curious if they will issue travel credits to all renters, or only ones who they have received money back from their owners.

They are saying it right there to you in the email, the money they’re asking for is going to David’s, and they are giving the renter a travel credit instead of their money back. It is of no benefit to you the owner, or the renter to hold this as a credit. The only party it helps is David’s.

I’m curious if they will issue travel credits to all renters, or only ones who they have received money back from their owners.

Sounds like all are being offered it, if they aren’t able to reschedule the trip immediately.

Sounds like all are being offered it, if they aren’t able to reschedule the trip immediately.

We were all offered, but I wonder what ends up actually happening if they don’t receive much of anything from renters, given that that seems to be their plan to help fund these credits.

I wouldn’t be surprised if credits end up being contingent on something more than just not rebooking. They have not been exactly trustworthy throughout this.

Is there any interest in setting up a Facebook group to connect owners and renters? I’d be happy to help get it going. Then they can each get on the same page. The thought of David taking money back from owners and not proving refunds with that money sickens me.

Has any member/owner received a response from David's on a offer to try to work with a renter by rebooking a reservation for a future travel date? I have offered that option as an alternative to the options suggested in the email from David's (to either return the 70% collected so far or re-rent my points). I don't feel comfortable with either of those options for many of the reasons that have been discussed here. However, they will not directly answer me on this point! I'm getting frustrated that their responses have disregarded addressing this offer as a solution. Has anyone else offered this option?

Last edited:
Is there any interest in setting up a Facebook group to connect owners and renters? I’d be happy to help get it going. Then they can each get on the same page. The thought of David taking money back from owners and not proving refunds with that money sickens me.

I guess part of the problem is that Davids will always have at least 30% in their control. Maybe some renters prefer to get the full credit. Again I am not sure how David's is handling that side of things.

The page I knew. I dont know why I thought reviews were different.
A page owner can't delete reviews but they can turn off reviews from showing all together. So if they were to turn them back on the negative reviews would still be there.

A page owner can't delete reviews but they can turn off reviews from showing all together. So if they were to turn them back on the negative reviews would still be there.

They definitely deleted one before they removed them. It was a few days before. I was watching the reviews closely to monitor the whole thing.

I thought what you said was the case, which is why I was surprised.

They definitely deleted one before they removed them. It was a few days before. I was watching the reviews closely to monitor the whole thing.

I thought what you said was the case, which is why I was surprised.
The person who left the review would be able to delete it so it is possible that a review was removed but the page owner can not (I have a couple of business pages). The page owner would have to report the review as false but that takes a while and it would really have to be false for it to be removed by FB.

The person who left the review would be able to delete it so it is possible that a review was removed but the page owner can not (I have a couple of business pages). The page owner would have to report the review as false but that takes a while and it would really have to be false for it to be removed by FB.

I wonder if that was the case (false review). It was made by someone who was all over their page with very negative (but true) comments that kept getting deleted. I got the impression they didn’t have their own reservation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter