Davids DVC: Rental reimbursement or rescheduling?

Yup so worthless voucher that still depends on some dvc owner booking for me... If any are left that will work with him.

No thanks I'll try dispute resolution.

Perhaps not. If the voucher is in terms of a travel credit paid by the broker it could (and I have not seen T&C) be paid at any type of travel. DVC, non DVC Disney, not disney, airfare etc. If the broker has his wits about him he would try to get a reduced rate from a travel agent and take another cut. I.e. all rebookings are being done by XXX Travel agent and we will remit to them directly

Perhaps not. If the voucher is in terms of a travel credit paid by the broker it could (and I have not seen T&C) be paid at any type of travel. DVC, non DVC Disney, not disney, airfare etc. If the broker has his wits about him he would try to get a reduced rate from a travel agent and take another cut. I.e. all rebookings are being done by XXX Travel agent and we will remit to them directly

Still depends on David paying... And paying with what money? I'm not seeing the magical pot of gold.

I don't understand why David's is telling the renters that it will takes weeks to provide them with the details of their credit. They keep saying they are overwhelmed with emails, but when each email David's sends only provides vague answers, the result is just more emails coming right back to them!

I don't understand why David's is telling the renters that it will takes weeks to provide them with the details of their credit. They keep saying they are overwhelmed with emails, but when each email David's sends only provides vague answers, the result is just more emails coming right back to them!

Maybe he can’t give details because he is trying to get a feel of how many owners are out there willing to rent points again?

[

This is how communication has been the entire time in my experience. Vague, slow to respond, and canned answers.

I understand they are overwhelmed. I’m sure they are genuinely trying and not purposely screwing people over. But I’m tempted to comment on their Facebook posts for all the people with April, May, and even later reservations not to hold their breath, our check in date was within the first couple days of the closure and we’ve barely made progress. They keep telling people with later reservations to sit tight they’re going in order.

I understand the downsides to making direct contact, but at this stage, IMO, trying to make the innocent parties on both sides of the equation, you and the Renter, as satisfied as possible, based on the situation, would be best. If you're resigned to never receiving your remaining payout, I'd contact them. You might be able to make someone happy. JMHO

I am considering it at this point. I feel like David's is not even offering this option to the renters because their communications seem to indicate to me that their primary concern is to generate cash flow for themselves with these "Travel Credits". I would like to rebook for my renters - it appears that my points will all be returned to my Oct UY if DVC sticks to the current plan as outlined in their recent email, so I will have a good amount of flexibility for rebooking.

Last edited:

I don’t need airfare, tickets etc. Even our food costs have already been covered (discounted gift cards). All I need is accommodation. And the fact of the matter is that if he’s asking owners to send the money back then he needs to pass it on to the renter not come up with some vague travel credit scheme that leaves everyone wondering what that even entails. Once refunded, I can take it from there and book my own accommodation.

I rented my points to a family with a small child. The reservation was end of March and I was asked to cancel for them. As we all know for a young family going to Disney is a milestone and expensive endeavor. I cancelled and rebooked another reservation for Davids under a different family. Davids will reimbursing family number one and I still get all my money. I was happy to work with them and feel good that family number one is not out money along with a dream vacation. I have been renting my points to Davids for years and not only have they been timely responding to my questions this week but very professional this month and in the previous 7 years I have been using them. I just wanted to share my experience with Davids. Stay safe

I rented my points to a family with a small child. The reservation was end of March and I was asked to cancel for them. As we all know for a young family going to Disney is a milestone and expensive endeavor. I cancelled and rebooked another reservation for Davids under a different family. Davids will reimbursing family number one and I still get all my money. I was happy to work with them and feel good that family number one is not out money along with a dream vacation. I have been renting my points to Davids for years and not only have they been timely responding to my questions this week but very professional this month and in the previous 7 years I have been using them. I just wanted to share my experience with Davids. Stay safe

Are you sure family number one is getting their money back? Because that is not what his email to owners is saying. The renters only get a travel credit,

I am considering it at this point. I feel like David's is not even offering this option to the renters because their communications seem to indicate to me that their primary concern is to generate cash flow for themselves with these "Travel Credits". I would like to rebook for my renters - it appears that my points will all be returned to my Oct UY if DVC sticks to the current plan as outlined in their recent email, so I will have a good amount of flexibility for rebooking.
I think that's extremely commendable of you and very generous to provide such a wide range of dates. I hope the best for you and your Renter.

Are you sure family number one is getting their money back? Because that is not what his email to owners is saying. The renters only get a travel credit,

In that scenario I think the money does go to the renter (when their owner gets their points back and rebooks with another party). At least that is what David’s has told me will happen.

The credit seems to kick in when points are close to expiry, or expire before they can be booked.

In that scenario I think the money does go to the renter (when their owner gets their points back and rebooks with another party). At least that is what David’s has told me will happen.

The credit seems to kick in when points are close to expiry, or expire before they can be booked.

Okay, but if owners send back the money..don't re rent points...why does he keep it?

It makes no sense that one renter gets money back and another doesn’t if David’s actually gets cash back...whether it’s from a new renter or from the original owner,

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my one time renting with him will be it.

Okay, but if owners send back the money..don't re rent points...why does he keep it?

It makes no sense that one renter gets money back and another doesn’t if David’s actually gets cash back...whether it’s from a new renter or from the original owner,

Yeah, I’m pretty sure my one time renting with him will be it.

Oh I totally agree with you, if money comes back because the owner was willing to send it, it should 100% be passed along to the renter no matter the condition of the points. If an owner is actually willing to do that, David’s should IMO consider themselves lucky, send their portion back to the renter and consider that one cleared.

Just passing along how they explained the difference between a refund and a credit to me. My guess is it’ll probably also be a credit if the renter doesn’t push the issue and accepts that.

Just my thought - but when most companies are about to go out of business how do they behave ? Vague emails ? Promises to give ? No replies to direct questions ? This company is showing signs that can’t be ignored of a business in dire straits. A company that had stellar customer service to now have sunk so low and is grasping at straws - I think is trying desperately to just hang on
I for one have 3 rentals pending
April
June
Sept
I don’t expect my 30% on any of them
2 are for a lot of points - I don’t feel it’s fair to screw the renter but I may lose money in this
I also rented from him but I plan on seeking a remedy for that myself since he won’t work with me
I have read this whole post and keep up with it - it really reads like a company about to go under you may want to consider this when you think about what you are going to do . I know I would Never take his word again not his credit voucher
Just my thought
I wish everyone the best of luck and the best outcome I am so sorry we are all in this as it stinks !!

I actually think the travel credit approach is understandable, even if I don't personally like it. Stick with me here.

I've been following this thread for the last week or so with much interest. I'm a first time renter with a 10 day split stay (Beach Club/Poly) scheduled to begin June 5th. Naturally I'm quite anxious given the enormous sum of money we shelled out for this trip. This would be our children's (8 & 11) first trip to Disney World.

It goes without saying that I'm personally most concerned about how renters are making out in the process, but I do sincerely feel for everyone involved, including owners and David's.

It seems the prevailing sentiment is that David's is being underhanded in the process. I can understand that sentiment to a degree, but I suspect David's is very much clinging to staying in business at this point and trying to walk an incredibly narrow tightrope of alienating as few owners/renters as possible. Obviously a lot of people are upset that they are asking for owners to return funds and offering renters credit rather than a refund. While I have zero inside knowledge on the subject, I find it doubtful that David's has the liquidity (ie, cash) to refund all impacted renters, even where some owners have been able/willing to return funds. Were I operating David's I would probably take the same approach, hoping that conditions improve and eventually all renters can be accommodated.

As a renter, should the resorts not reopen by early June, I'm very skeptical of the credit offer, while understanding objectively that David's almost certainly is not able to refund everyone and stay in business. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a credit, assuming it could be used for a year or more out (we had a very tight travel window for this year). But a travel credit is only worthwhile to me if David's stays in business, and I think that's very much in question at the moment.

So, ultimately, I don't blame David's at all for taking the travel credit approach. However, should I personally find myself in the position of having to decide, I would lean towards asking for a full refund, and if/when that is denied, attempting the charge back approach.

It'll go to whoever books the travel credit reservation for the renter later. He can't refund and give a credit for a future reservation. In theory the math works. The 70% the original owner returns to David's ends up getting sent to the next owner for the renter. This way David's can hold on to his commission for operating expenses. But that ignores availability, chargebacks, Renters unwilling to rebook, owners unwilling/unable to work with him, dvc's decision about banking rules and probably 1000 other things. All being said, what I'm reading about how they are handling this deal doesn't give me much confidence on them staying in business much longer.

It'll go to whoever books the travel credit reservation for the renter later. He can't refund and give a credit for a future reservation. In theory the math works. The 70% the original owner returns to David's ends up getting sent to the next owner for the renter. This way David's can hold on to his commission for operating expenses. But that ignores availability, chargebacks, Renters unwilling to rebook, owners unwilling/unable to work with him, dvc's decision about banking rules and probably 1000 other things. All being said, what I'm reading about how they are handling this deal doesn't give me much confidence on them staying in business much longer.

Yeah, I’m not confident either. But, I still think that if an owner refunds, those funds belong to the renter, They should be given the choice of a travel credit or the money IF the owner actual refunds,

If the owner offers to rebook, even for another renter, then I can see the renter getting the credit. But a renter shouldn’t be given a credit when the owner their reservation was with has actually provided a refund.

Shady in my book. And, I’d venture to guess the renter is not told the owner Sent money back

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter