Day 1 Disney Magic and not impressed

mjr0483

DIS Veteran
I get it’s Disney. Maybe people are just simply impressed because of the Disney brand.
We boarded the Magic today and I am not impressed so far with the food.

Cabanas is mediocre at best. The peel and eat shrimp were frozen. So we head outside for a slice of pizza. Calling it pizza is being generous. Is if that difficult to make a half decent pizza?

At Cabanas you have to have someone serve you a soda, but if you walk 10 feet outside you can magically serve yourself a soda.

We have Rapunzels table for dinner tonight. Then Lumiers 2 nights in a row the Animators palate 2 nights in a row. Is this normal?

Hopefully they redeem themselves at the MDR.

The MDR is far above the quality of Cabanas and the fast-serve places (I usually don’t bother with the latter). The serving stations being self-serve makes sense when it’s outside IMO, suspect that’s the rational.

In general I wouldn’t judge the cruise by the first afternoon. The MDRs and the dining room team are great and the activities on bird usually get into full swing on the first full day on board. Of course DCL won’t be to everyone’s tastes, which is absolutely fine, but I would try and give it a while until you’ve experience more to decide if it’s for you or not.

Then Lumiers 2 nights in a row the Animators palate 2 nights in a row. Is this normal?

Menus will be different every night. I think 5 night cruises have different rotations. When we did a 4 night in January, it was RAAE. 7 nights are usually more along the lines of ERAERAE I think...

Personally, I've found the food quality to vary across the ship... I almost always prefer the MDRs to Cabanas and we definitely skip the pool deck pizza after our first experience. I have occasionally had outstanding food in the MDRs, but not as a rule. Palo on the other hand has some really good food, often outstanding. On the only 3 night cruise we booked we actually skipped the MDRs and just went with Palo/Remy/Palo on the Dream. That was amazing!
If you are disappointed with the MDRs I would look to see what you can get in Palo. They do have a dress code, but IMHO it is worth it.

I would call that repet

I would call that repetitive dining and not rotational.
its 1,2,2,3,3
Instead of 1,2,3,1,2
Wouldn’t that make more sense?
Night 3 is pirate night, which has a different menu. So if you had your one-and-only meal in a given dining room that night, you'd never get that restaurant's featured menu.

I would call that repet

I would call that repetitive dining and not rotational.
its 1,2,2,3,3
Instead of 1,2,3,1,2
Wouldn’t that make more sense?

I guess that would be better for scenery and aesthetics. You'll get a completely different menu on each night, though.

I think they do the rotation this way because they want your first night in each restaurant to feature that restaurant's signature menu. So, you probably have a pirate menu on night 3 and a ship-wide menu or some kind on night 5.

I believe on shorter cruises you only eat at Rapunzel's once so they combine the normal two nights of entertainment into one which is why the dining is the way it is. :-)

I guess that would be better for scenery and aesthetics. You'll get a completely different menu on each night, though.

I think they do the rotation this way because they want your first night in each restaurant to feature that restaurant's signature menu. So, you probably have a pirate menu on night 3 and a ship-wide menu or some kind on night 5.
I had Lumiere's signature on the second night.

The repeat restaurants will be for MDAS menu and pirate menu. Pirate menu is the worst of the 5. Ask for anything you want, order more than one of anything. They really do want you to enjoy.
Embarkation food just ok, on any cruise. I was not impressed by cabanas breakfast any day, BUT loved the churro Mickey waffles. If at castaway two days, lunch menu will be different.

The repeat restaurants will be for MDAS menu and pirate menu. Pirate menu is the worst of the 5. Ask for anything you want, order more than one of anything. They really do want you to enjoy.
Embarkation food just ok, on any cruise. I was not impressed by cabanas breakfast any day, BUT loved the churro Mickey waffles. If at castaway two days, lunch menu will be different.
Good point on Castaway. My 2nd Castaway menu was SO MUCH better than the first one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter