DCA--What should we do first? Longest lines? Aladdin & Playhouse Disney help too...

imjen

DIS Veteran
We've never been to DCA before. We will want to do all of the little kids rides b/c of my 3.5 & 6 yr old, but my 6 yr old and the 3 adults will also want to do most of the other rides and attractions. I was thinking on our first Disney day (mid-April) we'd do DL in the morning, have an early afternoon nap/rest break, then head over to CA mid-afternoon. Would it be worth it to only be there for 3 hours before they close at 6 or maybe we should just wait until we can go at opening the next day (we're doing DL/DCA 3 days)? How crowded is it then compared to if we went at opening?

How long do the lines at A Bug's Land get? Which rides should we do first (in Bug's Land & in general)? I was thinking we'd get a FP for Soarin' right when we get there, but not sure where to head next?

Also, is Playhouse Disney pretty fun? We will probably want to see that & definately want to see Aladdin. How early do we need to get to them before the show starts & do they get more crowded the later in the day they are? Also, same questions for Snow White at DL.

Oh, one more question, how long does it take to walk from CA to Main Street DL?

Thanks!!!!
:cool1:

I would highly recommend having one of the adults go over to DCA soon
after opening (usually around 10:00) to get Fastpasses for Soaringfor your entire group. The two park's FP systems are not linked. Then when you get to DCA later in the afternoon, you can walk right on the attraction. Also, pick up tickets for Alladin at park opening too. They're not considered Fastpasses,
just tickets.

Depending on crowds, I'd get in line 30-45 minutes for Snow White
if you want to sit in the folding chairs up front. Personally, I like one
of the first three rows in the upper level though. Much better view.
Try for the left side of the stage. Sit the kiddos at the end of the
row if you can (towards the center). :flower:

It takes approx 3 minutes to walk from the gates at DCA to Main Street,
unless of course there's a line to get in at DL.

Hope that helps!

It's definately worth the 3 hours if you know what you want to do before you get there. Your 6 year old will probably really want to try Grizzley River Run and the line there gets LONG.... I would grab a fastpass for that as well as Soarin' as soon as you can.
Bugs Land isn't too bad - but it can be like Dumbo - slow loading - so even light crowds can make it a headache! Your 3.5 yr old will love it though! I would skip the Bumper Car things - they hardly move and are soooooo crowded - it's just not worth the wait. The spinning Francis ride is like the tea cups, my kids liked it. There's a little Heimlich train ride (it really stinks.... they could have done a much better job on it), and the only ride I thought was really worth it was Flick's Flyers. Anyway - it's definately for little ones - your 6 yr old might not like it much!
The Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is a great place to go while waiting for your Fastpass time on Grizzley River Run. It's like Disney's gift to playgrounds. There is a climbing wall there - make sure your kids have closed toed shoes so that they can try it - no sandals allowed - they'll really like it. There is a zip line your 6 yr old will want to get in line for over and over again - but the line is usually short and goes fast! Lots of cute slides and overhead walkways, a little creek they can splash in, and I believe they have a new show there that has had good reviews. It would also be a good place for someone to stay with 3.5 while the others ride GRR - I'm not sure what the height restrictions are, or she/he might get scared just looking at it!
Playhouse Disney is pretty cute - any child that still likes the shows on TV will LOVE the live show. It's very interactive with the kids - they get to get up and dance, bubbles come down from the ceiling, etc. There is usually a 1 show wait outside, and there isn't much seating or shade while you wait - be prepared, stop for snacks on the way!
Aladdin was impressive, and may give 3.5 a nap waiting in the dark for the show to start! Nice and cool and pretty quiet! The theater is HUGE and pretty much all the seats are good. We've never gotten any sort of advance tickets and have always gotten good seats - but if you have time, try to get those in advance.
But above all, Plan time to ride Soarin' at least twice. It really is, IMHO, the best ride Disney has ever designed - and I still get goosebumps riding it. Don't worry about the little one - my son was only 3 the first time he rode it and he LOVED it!
Have fun!!!!!

Thanks so much guys! How do I get Aladdin advanced tickets? Are they just outside Aladdin? If I get tickets, do they say what show they are for & how early do we need to be there before the show if we have them? It sounds like DCA does get pretty crowded in the afternoon. Would you still head over there the first day after our lunch/nap break or just wait until 10am the next day and do DL in the afternoon again since it's open later? We'll be doing Disney on a Tues, Wed or Thurs, and Friday in April. I really appreciate your opinions! Thanks again!

Well - hard to say, but what we've usually done, is DL in the morning until the crowds pick up, and then over to DCA for lunch and some time there. If we feel like it - we head back over to DL for the evening for the later close. remember - the parks are only a 3 minute walk apart, at the most! It's very easy to go back and forth during the day. DCA is not as crowded as DL in the afternoon, and it's really nice ot avoid the crowds a bit by jumping back and forth. You'll have time to do this every day you're there - and you'll notice it really cuts down on the crowd-stress! We were there for 4 days in July, and park hopping was wonderful. I would definately try it out the first day. You'll get a feel for what you want to do the next three days as well. Also - looks like Friday may be the only day they'll have Electrip Parade at DCA and Fantasmic at DL. You can do both! Go to the EP, and as soon as it's over, go back to DL and get seats for the 2nd showing of Fantasmic. Try to get spots for the EP near the front of DCA so you won't have to fight the crowds to get back to DL. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter