DCL not ready to return to Tortola yet...

Sorry I have one more question. Are there any hidden costs or is the cost listed by the boat what it is? There are other places that charge additional for fuel, customs, etc.

I’ve gone with Malcolm/Sunshine twice with no hidden or unexpected fees. However, do budget a tip for your captain which is customary. We elected to tip the taxi truck driver to/from The Baths. Also, when you get to The Baths sometimes at the top of the trail there is a booth where a person collects admission. They aren’t always there. It’s like $3 for an adult, $2 for a child. It’s kinda primitive out there so there’s really no way Malcolm could pay that ahead for you. He arranges the taxi & takes care of that but not the admission. So bring the cash for admission just in case. I never mind paying that little bit because there are things there that have to be maintained so I’m okay contributing. Stocked cooler on the boat is included but food isn’t. So, bring cash for food. There’s a cafe at the top of The Baths & there WAS (not sure if it’s rebuilt) a small bbq type shack at the bottom. The lunch stop we are getting with our half day on another island is not included either. I’ve never paid a fuel fee. Customs fees only come into play if you are visiting islands that are NOT British Virgin Islands. Like say you charter out of St. Thomas which is a USVI and want to visit Virgin Gorda which is a BVI. The captains know which islands are which and won’t take you where you’d need to pay customs fees. I imagine you could arrange that if you really wanted to. If it’s a concern just shoot them an email to ask for clarification ahead of time.

I just read an article that the British virgin island government said the fantasy will be returning late August. I have not seen any confirmation from Disney on this. Here is a part of the article.

“ Russell Daya, DCL’s Executive Director, Marine & Port Operations, Port Development & Itinerary Planning, said Disney is happy to see the great progress being made in the British Virgin Islands, in order to provide a satisfactory and safe guest experience. In May, Daya said the primary concern was guest safety, during the recent meeting he told officials they have every confidence in your the BVI’s efforts in restoring the destination to a higher standard than previously…and that Disney looks forward to continuing to support the destination.
Daya confirmed that Disney is now scheduled to visit the British Virgin Islands on Tuesday, August 28th during the August 21, 2018, 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise. This is nearly a year to the day after its last call here on August 29, 2017.”

Anyone on this thread on that cruise?

That’s my cruise. But I just read an article that said the BVI government confirmed the fantasy will be going back on the August 21st Cruise on the fantasy but I’ve not heard that from Disney.

I just read an article that the British virgin island government said the fantasy will be returning late August. I have not seen any confirmation from Disney on this. Here is a part of the article.

“ Russell Daya, DCL’s Executive Director, Marine & Port Operations, Port Development & Itinerary Planning, said Disney is happy to see the great progress being made in the British Virgin Islands, in order to provide a satisfactory and safe guest experience. In May, Daya said the primary concern was guest safety, during the recent meeting he told officials they have every confidence in your the BVI’s efforts in restoring the destination to a higher standard than previously…and that Disney looks forward to continuing to support the destination.
Daya confirmed that Disney is now scheduled to visit the British Virgin Islands on Tuesday, August 28th during the August 21, 2018, 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise. This is nearly a year to the day after its last call here on August 29, 2017.”
There’s an article in the news section here on Disciting that same article. I’m thinking this is an additional good sign.

My understanding is that the amenities at the Baths are not yet rebuilt. But double check.

Materials have been an issue with rebuilds.

My guess is that the reason DCL hasn't confirmed is because hurricane season is approaching and if the islands get hit even the slightest bit, courses will be altered again. So they are probably waiting to see what happens as we get closer.

Recent reviews on TripAdvisor describe The Baths as up & running okay. Also, newer videos posted to YouTube show it looking okay.

Running okay does not always mean flush toilets. :crazy:

The restaurant is allegedly open, but they have screwed up their DNS badly and are not posting to Facebook.

Running okay does not always mean flush toilets. :crazy:

The restaurant is allegedly open, but they have screwed up their DNS badly and are not posting to Facebook.

Here’s a review from April:

E46C8742-4A3A-4A02-A755-3ADF8F50D4F1.png

I’ve been to The Baths twice in the past & only ever used the restroom at the cafe at the top. This (and other reviews) state the cafe at the top is open. Nobody has said sans restrooms. Either way, progress is being made. Disney ships aren’t due in for another 2 months so there’s also time to work out more of the kinks. I’m still pretty optimistic on the return. Will it be exactly as it was before? No. I don’t expect that.

Please let me know how your excursion with Malcolm from Sunshine Powerboats goes! We have been looking into that for December. So I'd love to hear how your most recent experience is next week. We'll be traveling with our 3 elementary school kids and need to come up with an itinerary for that day. Not sure they will want to snorkel. So thinking 1/2 day will be enough with a trip to the Baths. Our first time to Tortola. (He already said he could accommodate only 5 of us.) THANKS

Just got off the Fantasy on Sept 1 and we were the first to visit Tortola after a year of hiatus due to the hurricane. We visited The Baths and it was awesome!! You could see the damage from the hurricane (people rebuilding their houses), but overall the island is pretty clean. Devil's Bay and The Baths looks pristine. The bathroom in The Baths is open and so is the small shack selling snacks and souvenirs.

Just got off the Fantasy on Sept 1 and we were the first to visit Tortola after a year of hiatus due to the hurricane. We visited The Baths and it was awesome!! You could see the damage from the hurricane (people rebuilding their houses), but overall the island is pretty clean. Devil's Bay and The Baths looks pristine. The bathroom in The Baths is open and so is the small shack selling snacks and souvenirs.
Thank you for this report! We sail on Saturday and look forward to the port. Question - stores, restaurants and shops near the port, are they open and doing business?

Thank you for this report! We sail on Saturday and look forward to the port. Question - stores, restaurants and shops near the port, are they open and doing business?

Yes, they are. Maybe not to the extent before (I can't compare as a few weeks ago was our first time in Tortola), but there are shops/restaurants/cafes open in Tortola Pier Park.

Last edited:
I just got off the Fantasy Sep 8-15 and we did the Baths excursion and spent some time at Roadtown. At Virgin Gorda there was still a lot of cleanup still needed to be done. We saw a lot of trash and damaged homes and vehicles. There was also a stench of garbage on most roads we went through while on Virgin Gorda. At the Baths everything was clean and rebuilt. The restaurant, souvenir shop, bathrooms and Poor Man's Bar were all up and running. At Pier Park Tortola there was no damage but only about 2/3-3/4 shops were open.

I’ve gone with Malcolm/Sunshine twice with no hidden or unexpected fees. However, do budget a tip for your captain which is customary. We elected to tip the taxi truck driver to/from The Baths. Also, when you get to The Baths sometimes at the top of the trail there is a booth where a person collects admission. They aren’t always there. It’s like $3 for an adult, $2 for a child. It’s kinda primitive out there so there’s really no way Malcolm could pay that ahead for you. He arranges the taxi & takes care of that but not the admission. So bring the cash for admission just in case. I never mind paying that little bit because there are things there that have to be maintained so I’m okay contributing. Stocked cooler on the boat is included but food isn’t. So, bring cash for food. There’s a cafe at the top of The Baths & there WAS (not sure if it’s rebuilt) a small bbq type shack at the bottom. The lunch stop we are getting with our half day on another island is not included either. I’ve never paid a fuel fee. Customs fees only come into play if you are visiting islands that are NOT British Virgin Islands. Like say you charter out of St. Thomas which is a USVI and want to visit Virgin Gorda which is a BVI. The captains know which islands are which and won’t take you where you’d need to pay customs fees. I imagine you could arrange that if you really wanted to. If it’s a concern just shoot them an email to ask for clarification ahead of time.
What the website or info for Malcolm? This sounds like what I’d like for my family

We were on the first boat that went back as well. We did the Baths ourselves and while I could tell things were still being rebuilt there was nothing that I was worried about. We found working restrooms, shops, and restaurants everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter