Digital Membership Cards?

As has been said before, that’s what they used to do and people (apparently in significant enough numbers to land on Disney’s radar) continued to use the cards long after they had sold their contracts.

And it’s not a cost issue. Cards with magnetic stripes cost about fifty cents each. Cards with no stripe are about half that. Less than the cost to mail them. That’s why sub-prime credit card issuers can send out literally millions of dummy cards every month. Regardless, they’d just add the cost to dues under administration anyway, so there’d be zero cost to Disney.

As I've said before, it would be soooo easy for DVC to produce cards similar to KTTW cards. The cards would have everything needed for discounts, etc (with proper id, of course), and could be "killed" instantly when the member no longer qualifies for benefits.

As I've said before, it would be soooo easy for DVC to produce cards similar to KTTW cards. The cards would have everything needed for discounts, etc (with proper id, of course), and could be "killed" instantly when the member no longer qualifies for benefits.
That works just fine if you’re confining it to only Disney-owned and operated facilities. What about all of the vendors, large and small, in Disney Springs and Downtown Disney for example? Do they now need to have a touch pad or card reader for those cards? Do they need to be linked into the system/database? That’s the only way they’d know the card had been “killed”.

I get that DVC Y and ND iis pretty low-tech, but at the same time it offers the compromise of providing a vendor with a simple means to visually verify discount eligibility anywhere a discount is offered without adding additional hard or soft tech, while at the same time giving Disney the ability to control who gets the discounts (as we’ve seen, they can switch you between Y and ND when they want to).

That works just fine if you’re confining it to only Disney-owned and operated facilities. What about all of the vendors, large and small, in Disney Springs and Downtown Disney for example? Do they now need to have a touch pad or card reader for those cards? Do they need to be linked into the system/database? That’s the only way they’d know the card had been “killed”.

They probably already are linked into the Disney system.

If they offer a discount for DVC, why not?

Not everyone is married to a smart phone.

They probably already are linked into the Disney system.

If they offer a discount for DVC, why not?

Not everyone is married to a smart phone.

1. I do not think they are, not to that level of interface. If their terminal does not read Magic Bands, they are not.

2. So if a vendor wants to offer you a discount (which no one is required to do), you think they should bear the cost and additional operational requirements for the benefit and privilege of doing so? If the Sperry store wants to give me 15% off a $100 pair of shoes, I'll pull out my phone for the employee to read the "DVC Y" and take my $15 off. Seems fair and equitable. Didn't kill me either.

3. No, they aren't, but the vast majority of people aren't terribly troubled by using their phone for the one or two times maybe per day it is required for a discount. We're not talking about Genie+ or ILL here. Whether it's my wallet for a plastic card or my phone for a digital card, I'm still reaching into my pocket.

I honestly don't know why this debate rages on (and why I keep wading in). It is what it is and it isn't going to change.

Last edited:

Making this work directly on the point of sale is a pretty massive endeavor

1- there are about half a dozen major pos systems on the market. None owned by Disney and each with their own operating system. Disney would need to write software for these pos systems and maintain it. This costs $$$
2- are we talking magstripe or rfid. Both require hardware and that costs $$$
3- what if a store doesn’t have one of the above 6 or so pos systems Disney now supports. if the store is a major chain they have a single pos system for all stores and can’t support one location at Disney with a special pos system. So now let’s assume not every store is then supported by the pos software creating an experience where some stores support the card and some don’t
4- major chains don’t allow special software into their networks. Coupon or discount codes are one thing and all can support that. But special hardware or software for just one or even a handful of locations. Nah major chains don’t do that
5- ok so how about we don’t integrate this special system into the chains pos system and they get a special hardware unit just to process the discount. 1- this means special training that breaks the chain training handbook, 2- this costs $$$, 3- this slows down checkout process which means more cost and less profits

this seems like such an easy thing and 100% doable on Disney owned and operated facilities where the magic band is accepted. But step outside of Disney and into the world third party retail and it’s now a near impossible task

Got a question that may have been answered somewhere else in here, but 77 pages is daunting to sift through! We were resale owners first, and I downloaded my membership card to Google Pay. We just bought direct today, and I don't know how to change my membership card to reflect that. I tried deleting it in Google Pay, but it still says "DVC-ND" and to the best of my knowledge nothing else has changed. Anyone have a fix for this, or know what I should do so that my digital card reflects me being a direct member?

Got a question that may have been answered somewhere else in here, but 77 pages is daunting to sift through! We were resale owners first, and I downloaded my membership card to Google Pay. We just bought direct today, and I don't know how to change my membership card to reflect that. I tried deleting it in Google Pay, but it still says "DVC-ND" and to the best of my knowledge nothing else has changed. Anyone have a fix for this, or know what I should do so that my digital card reflects me being a direct member?
It takes time for new direct owners to see their card flip to DVC-Y. You just made your purchase today? Give it about a week.

It takes time for new direct owners to see their card flip to DVC-Y. You just made your purchase today? Give it about a week.
Wrong...I'd like it NOW!! In all seriousness, thanks for the info. No trouble at all waiting for it, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing something wrong because the new contract already showed up in the MDE app under memberships.

I don’t know if someone has had this happen, but when I added my magic mobile pass it just says annual and DVC. No DVC-Y. I’m a blue card member and have owned for over 10 years. Is it worth contacting MS to adjust?

I don’t know if someone has had this happen, but when I added my magic mobile pass it just says annual and DVC. No DVC-Y. I’m a blue card member and have owned for over 10 years. Is it worth contacting MS to adjust?
I did this following to “fix” this same issue for me (another user also did the same and said it worked).

First — remove the card from your wallet.

Next — In the MDE app go to your profile / account settings. Remove your cell phone and save settings. Go back into account settings and add the cell phone back and verify it (it took a minute for the verification code to get to me).

Next — Wait a few seconds and go back into MagicMobile. You SHOULD now see the DVC design (and AP if you are an AP). Add the card. It should add to Wallet with the DVC design and any affiliations you have.

Finally — never touch MagicMobile again as I assume it would break the affiliations.
Might want to try this. It did not fix the issue if you had "DVC - ND", but for members with just "DVC" or not even seeing the DVC card as an option, it seemed to work for some.

Might want to try this. It did not fix the issue if you had "DVC - ND", but for members with just "DVC" or not even seeing the DVC card as an option, it seemed to work for some.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I also had the DVC by itself and doing this I now have my Y!

The trick worked for me! Now my husband’s card (that I added to MDE bc he doesn’t have one) still shows just the ID number so I’ll create his own MDE to see if that fixes his. Granted the man doesn’t go anywhere without me….. 😉

The trick worked for me! Now my husband’s card (that I added to MDE bc he doesn’t have one) still shows just the ID number so I’ll create his own MDE to see if that fixes his. Granted the man doesn’t go anywhere without me….. 😉

He needs his own MDE and DVC log in in order for it to show correctly on his Magic Mobile pass. He doesn't ever have to use them, but it won't pick it up unless he has both set up.

Just back and noticed an added bonus now that my husband has his own account/card. In the past when tapping in to a park, my mickey head would always turn purple and say "welcome home". DH's did not.

Now that he has his own DVC/MDE login, it does!

He needs his own MDE and DVC log in in order for it to show correctly on his Magic Mobile pass. He doesn't ever have to use them, but it won't pick it up unless he has both set up.

I set him up with the DVC log in already, so just need to get him on the MDE. So glad that he was able to access the DVC website bc that’s how our initial contract went from 350 to 1000 points. 😂 😂 He started looking at booking stays and immediately decided that we needed more points.

I may or may not have nudged him by showing how much the price per point decreased as we bought more points. 😬

Since the thread is bumped anyway...might as well add my update about the ID requirements. I tried taking a photo of my Driver's License and storing it in my Notes section (not updated to cloud - only on phone), to see if I could get away with not having to bring ID along - I was able to get into DVC lounge with no problem using the DL photo - as long as it's clear and readable, should be OK. Carrying the license isn't the worst thing in the world, but I tend to leave my wallet behind what with Magic Band for charging and now the digital DVC - easier to have the DL on the phone too so I don't have to try to remember to bring it.

Since the thread is bumped anyway...might as well add my update about the ID requirements. I tried taking a photo of my Driver's License and storing it in my Notes section (not updated to cloud - only on phone), to see if I could get away with not having to bring ID along - I was able to get into DVC lounge with no problem using the DL photo - as long as it's clear and readable, should be OK. Carrying the license isn't the worst thing in the world, but I tend to leave my wallet behind what with Magic Band for charging and now the digital DVC - easier to have the DL on the phone too so I don't have to try to remember to bring it.

I have had the same luck. DL on the phone has been fine...which is really nice not having to dig it out from my backpack...my phone is easily accessible!

My experience on this trip is very few CMs will ask for ID. In fact I was only asked for ID twice — once for a $3 purchase and once for a $6 purchase. All others just looked for the DVC Y on my MagicMobile card and gave the discount.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter