Dining Plan.??????!..(for those interested in Dining Plan)

Mad4Dizne

DIS Veteran
The Dining Plan is being offered free....with some vacation packages now (have to buy certain number of nights/dates...)... **I have written several times regarding DVC members being able to purchase the plan, and told...something in the works... blah, blah..... **Now they are offering it free! :sad1: I hope they offer it to DVC'ers soon!!!

Nope, I have never thought the dining plans were all that good a deal anyway with DVC. We have a full kitchen, so breakfast and snacks and even meals are the norm for us. I think it might be interesting for the sit down meals, but with the DDE card available to us, I think that is a much better deal.

Haven't seen this promotion. Can you provide any more details about it?

Wonder if it has anything to do with the recent hurricane season projections? (Apparently, this will e another very active season, although no one is predicting how many or where the storms may hit).

Best wishes-

I'd love to have this option as a DVC member, but no, I don't think it's unfair that we don't have a dining plan. Many DVCers do use the kitchen facilities frequently, and putting in a dining benefit just because it's offered to other guests doesn't seem to be something I would expect Disney to do.

I'm an AP holder, and so I was able to get the DDE card for $50.00. It did save me quite a bit of money on my last trip. I've also used the DVC discount occasionally. If the dining package were available, I might try it to see what fit my vacation pattern the best, but I'm not too upset about it now!!!

CArol, the MYW promotions are offering dining plans that cost $35 a day for 1 counter service, 1 snack and 1 sit down meal per person. It turns out to be a really good deal if you eat at a pricey restaurant for your sit down meal, because the most you would pay is $35. Not all restaurants are on the program though, just like with DDE.

One of the disadvantages to buying DVC - and it needs to be recognized - is that Disney doesn't need to send promotions our way. You level out inflation and pre-pay your vacations, but in doing so, limit your ability to take advantage of promotional rates. The seven for four deal a few years ago was another good example of DVC members feeling like they were missing out on the bargains. On the other hand, when the resort board is full of "There are no codes!" and "I haven't gotten a postcard!" we can gloat with our controlled costs.

There are ways, however. If the promotional deal looks great to you, snap it up. Then rent your points, or bank them into next year hoping next years promotions aren't as good. If they are, rent your points again.

DVC apparently has some older systems and can't do the MYW dining add on given their system restrictions. My guess, as systems is an operations costs, and they want to keep their operations costs (and therefore our dues) low, building a more flexible modern system hasn't been real high priority for them and won't be done until it NEEDS to be done. It is also possible that they systems limitation is not as big a deal as they make it out to be, but they use it as an excuse not to give us the dining plan.

Is everyone missing the fact that Mad4Dizne said they are OFFERING THE DINING ADD ON FOR FREE? That's why I'm asking for more info. This is the first I've heard that they were offering it for FREE!

Best wishes-

This is on the mousesavers.com home page:

Coming soon - FREE dining plan when you buy a 5-night or longer Walt Disney World vacation package, valid for check-ins 8/21/05-10/4/05! Check back here tomorrow for details!

Stacy

Yeah, I know they are offering the dining plan for free. Its part of a promotional package....pay full price for the room and park tickets, they throw in the dining plan.

OK. Here's what Mary has posted ever on MouseSavers:

Coming soon - FREE dining plan when you buy a 5-night or longer Walt Disney World vacation package, valid for check-ins 8/21/05-10/4/05! Check back here tomorrow for details!

Wasn't planning a trip for that time, but I will certainly be checking MouseSavers tomorrow!

Best wishes -

edited to add:

I'm not mad that DVC doesn't have a similar dining plan option - I just hadn't heard about it. I agree with Crisi - If it appeals, I'll take advantage of it and do something else with my points.

This is obviously a marketing technique Disney is using to overcome the memories of hurricane season last year, and it shouldn't be thought of as anything more. The last ten days of August, all of September, and the first four days of October were all prime hurricane time last year, and I think it's genius of Disney to do this. Makes it almost irresistable to plan a WDW vacation during that time if you were hesitant before, doesn't it??

And I don't think this should have any relation to what DVC members do or don't get -as another poster said, it's not about offering each and every perk down the line to DVC members. I got what I paid for when I joined DVC, and I don't expect every offer to come my way. They already have me as a customer for the next 38 years, so why should they offer me incentives to come? It's great to have perks like the new reduced AP prices, etc. but I'm not going to get huffy because of a Disney marketing technique aimed at another group of potential vacationers.

crisi said:
There are ways, however. If the promotional deal looks great to you, snap it up. Then rent your points, or bank them into next year hoping next years promotions aren't as good. If they are, rent your points again.
Crisi is 100% right.

They are not offering others anything they're not offering us - we can get that deal. But you can't ignore the part about paying rack rate for rooms. That's part of the deal.

Personally, I like my AP discount better - and for me it's only $25 off the Florida resident AP price I get anyway!

dianeschlicht said:
CArol, the MYW promotions are offering dining plans that cost $35 a day for 1 counter service, 1 snack and 1 sit down meal per person. It turns out to be a really good deal if you eat at a pricey restaurant for your sit down meal, because the most you would pay is $35. Not all restaurants are on the program though, just like with DDE.
It's possible to make it a good deal, but it rarely truly is. First, you can't use it for the expensive restaurants without having to use two nights worth of options for a single night, and Disney's idea of the top level is pretty broad. Even the restaurant in Canada costs 2 evening meal coupons, no way it's worth it. Then there's the fact it must be purchased for LOS for everyone in the party. This may work for a short stay of 3 days (the min to get the plan I believe) but not for a full week unless you over eat. It also changes your habits in that you tend to try to get the most expensive meal you can, something that some enjoy and others do not. You also are given up other potential discounts like DDE, AP or DVC.

I think the bottom line is it can be a good deal for some but almost never is. Now if they didn't require everyone in the party or LOS, that'd be different.

And as others pointed out, it's not really free. One will pay one way or another.

Disney has frequently offered different types of promotions for cash guests.

AP Discount Rates
AAA Discount Rates
Get 7 nights for the price of 4

They're all just a variation on the same theme--knocking a few dollars off of the price of a Disney vacation.

There will certainly be conditions surrounding this "free" promotion. Will someone be able to book a Value resort at an AP rate of $49 per night and get the free dining plan for 2 adults and 2 kids? Not a chance. My guess is they'll be paying Rack Rates for the room and that there will be some sort of sliding scale for the free dining perk that will vary by resort or room size.

If you want DVC members to be eligible for the dining plan, write / call / fax DVC and let them know of your interest. You can characterize DVC's (perceived) inactivity on this front however you wish. Bottom line: they're not going to go through the trouble and expense if only 10% of DVC members are interested.

Will DVC members get the MYW dining for free? Not a chance. If that's your big beef, then I agree with the other suggestions--pay cash for a trip and rent or sell your points.

When I emailed to inquire about DVC Members being allowed to purchase the MYW Dining Plan--this is what they responded!!! [many months ago]I'm so excited--this w ould be a great deal for us!!!!
"I appreciate your family's interest in participating in the new Magic Your Way Dining program that
is being offered to Walt Disney World Resort Guests. Due to existing system configuration, this
plan is only able to be sold to Guests booking a package through the Disney Reservation Center at
this time. Since we know this offering would be extremely popular among our Disney Vacation Club
Members, we are currently working with our Information Technology partners to change the manner in
which the plan is sold. Unfortunately, we do not have an estimate as to when this will be
available. Please contact Member Services prior to your next visit for updated information.

Thank you again for your message. We are glad you are a Member of our Disney family and look
forward to entertaining "
For those of us INTERESTED in the Dining Plan....Since I had inquired before and got the response above.....[Had they told me NO, this would not be offered I'd had said ok...no problem..thanks....but since they said it was in the works I figured I wasn't the only one interested in the plan....]

Anyone who is interested in the Dining Plan receive any additional information??? I would greatly appreciate your imput!!!

I agree, it would be great if they offered it to us. Dean, the program has gone through some changes, Le Cellier is no longer two choices and most Epcot restaurants are included. A few months ago, I was with you - didn't save us much (if anything) because of the choices we made. But Disney has tweaked the program for the better.

The DDE is a "barely break even for us" as we aren't down often enough to make APs worthwhile on their own - even with the discount.

crisi said:
I agree, it would be great if they offered it to us. Dean, the program has gone through some changes, Le Cellier is no longer two choices and most Epcot restaurants are included. A few months ago, I was with you - didn't save us much (if anything) because of the choices we made. But Disney has tweaked the program for the better.

The DDE is a "barely break even for us" as we aren't down often enough to make APs worthwhile on their own - even with the discount.
I hadn't looked at the list in a couple of months. Still, the only ones that should be two are the dinner shows and the like.

Mad4Dizne, you didn't really believe them that it was computer and technical issues did you?

crisi said:

crisi,

we are exactly in the same scenario as you and your family and hope they can implement something for us by the time we go down in October. I also agree that the first version of the program wasn't that great but now that they have added almost all the restaurants in Epcot, it doesn't sound too bad for us. I also think that most members similar to our scenario aren't as informed as others since they don't go down as often and therefore may not voice their opinion that often. JMHO!

dean,

had to ask, call me naive, but why shouldn't we believe that it has to do with computer or technical issues? please enlighten...

Sara

sarhenty said:
crisi,

we are exactly in the same scenario as you and your family and hope they can implement something for us by the time we go down in October. I also agree that the first version of the program wasn't that great but now that they have added almost all the restaurants in Epcot, it doesn't sound too bad for us. I also think that most members similar to our scenario aren't as informed as others since they don't go down as often and therefore may not voice their opinion that often. JMHO!

dean,

had to ask, call me naive, but why shouldn't we believe that it has to do with computer or technical issues? please enlighten...

Sara
They've had plans for years and never included DVC other than the Food n Fun card. It's not about computers, or how much it will save you, it's about how much profit they will make. Since there's a certain amount of cost to offer it to a group, they want to be sure they will get a good return on their money. You don't think they do it just to be kind do you.

Went for a short 4-night stay over Mothers Day Weekend.
Used the Disney Dining Experience and was very happy with the plan.
Was not able to use it on Mothers Day itself but we had scheduled the Mothers Day Brunch at EPCOT for our main meal that day. It was mostly DW and myself but we were joined by DD and family at Cape May Cafe for one dinner. I kept track of the savings and for the couple days we saved $73. (20% off). Since I normally tip at that rate I just gave it the our server. The cost was $50. for the plan and we could have used our DVC discount (10%) some of the time so I figure I saved at least 1/2 or $36. almost what I had paid. We are scheduled for our big trip of 10 days in November with 11 family members.
Like I said I am happy with this plan since there are so many places it is accepted, not like the limited DVC discount. I believe it will more than pay for itself the first couple days we are there in November. On our November trips we do tend to eat our main meals together.
I would recommend this plan to others, especially if you eat your meals (dinner) out a better part of the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter