Dining Plan.??????!..(for those interested in Dining Plan)

The DDE is great, but we are one week every other year folks, and its two adults and two "still too small to eat grown up meals" kids. The difference between paying for an AP we don't need, plus the DDE, plus the "pluses" that we buy for a discount on our ticket, but have to pay cash for with an AP, strips out any savings.

Don't get me wrong, the DDE and AP savings is great, it just doesn't fit every DVCer.

Dean said:
It's possible to make it a good deal, but it rarely truly is. First, you can't use it for the expensive restaurants without having to use two nights worth of options for a single night, and Disney's idea of the top level is pretty broad. Even the restaurant in Canada costs 2 evening meal coupons, no way it's worth it. Then there's the fact it must be purchased for LOS for everyone in the party. This may work for a short stay of 3 days (the min to get the plan I believe) but not for a full week unless you over eat. It also changes your habits in that you tend to try to get the most expensive meal you can, something that some enjoy and others do not. You also are given up other potential discounts like DDE, AP or DVC.

I think the bottom line is it can be a good deal for some but almost never is. Now if they didn't require everyone in the party or LOS, that'd be different.

And as others pointed out, it's not really free. One will pay one way or another.

I don't understand why a lot of DVCers always insist this plan is not a good deal. MOST restaurants are included and I know Le Celliar is only 1 sit down exchange. You get an appetizer, entree, and dessert per person (including your kids) and the tip is included. The entree comes from the kids menu, but the appetizer can come from the main menu. Plus, you get a complete fast food meal per person and a snack (you have a lot of snacks to choose from also).

Figure you do a fast food lunch at Cosmic rays, a sit down dinner at Brown Derby and grab a snack in the morning. You would spend well over $35 for that, or at least a lot of people would. The kids price is only $10 per day.

Also, one of the best things about the plan is that all credits are pooled, the same way they were with the old Silver plan. That means that 2 adults can go to a restaurant for dinner that takes 2 sit down credits (like California Grill) with their 2 children. They can use their credits and their children's credits for the adults and pay cash for the kids meals (around $6-$7 per kid). The adults can order any app, entree, and dessert they want, even the tip is payed for. All they have to do is sign.

I also don't see how this is possibly "eating too much". You are talking about TWO meals a day plus a snack that can be a bottle of water! My kids eat three meals a day, especialy when at Disney and walking so much. All 3 of them are in the 10th-15th percentile for weight and between the 50th-75th percentile for height, so they are not overeating! DH and I would always eat at least 2 full meals at Disney. We are on vacation and we want to eat nice meals. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

We did buy the PAP's and got the DDE card, because that's the best deal we can get, and believe me I'm happy about it. We plan to use the PAP's for 2 trips Dec 05, Oct 06, so I guess it's a good deal for us. However, if the dining plan had been available to use we probably would have bought 9 day MYW tickets and the meal plan. I really hope we (meaning all DVC members) can get it by 2007!

NMW said:
I don't understand why a lot of DVCers always insist this plan is not a good deal. MOST restaurants are included and I know Le Celliar is only 1 sit down exchange. You get an appetizer, entree, and dessert per person (including your kids) and the tip is included. The entree comes from the kids menu, but the appetizer can come from the main menu. Plus, you get a complete fast food meal per person and a snack (you have a lot of snacks to choose from also).

Figure you do a fast food lunch at Cosmic rays, a sit down dinner at Brown Derby and grab a snack in the morning. You would spend well over $35 for that, or at least a lot of people would. The kids price is only $10 per day.

Also, one of the best things about the plan is that all credits are pooled, the same way they were with the old Silver plan. That means that 2 adults can go to a restaurant for dinner that takes 2 sit down credits (like California Grill) with their 2 children. They can use their credits and their children's credits for the adults and pay cash for the kids meals (around $6-$7 per kid). The adults can order any app, entree, and dessert they want, even the tip is payed for. All they have to do is sign.

I also don't see how this is possibly "eating too much". You are talking about TWO meals a day plus a snack that can be a bottle of water! My kids eat three meals a day, especialy when at Disney and walking so much. All 3 of them are in the 10th-15th percentile for weight and between the 50th-75th percentile for height, so they are not overeating! DH and I would always eat at least 2 full meals at Disney. We are on vacation and we want to eat nice meals. I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

We did buy the PAP's and got the DDE card, because that's the best deal we can get, and believe me I'm happy about it. We plan to use the PAP's for 2 trips Dec 05, Oct 06, so I guess it's a good deal for us. However, if the dining plan had been available to use we probably would have bought 9 day MYW tickets and the meal plan. I really hope we (meaning all DVC members) can get it by 2007!
La Cellier was 2 options previously as were some others that are now one. But regardless, I think you are comparing to getting an appetizer and desert for each person every day including the day of check out. A snack, full counter service lunch and that meal for several days, IMO, that would either be over eating by most people's definition or you'd waste a lot of food. It's just like buying DVC, some people kid themselves by adding up the costs of what those items would be, just like comparing buying DVC to the rack rates. As i noted, it can be a good deal for some people. With the DDE, I can easily eat sit down places for 2 meals a day and a snack for the $35 per person per day including tax and tip. And get everything I want and more than I need.

Studies have shown that with All Inclusive meal plans, the consumption goes way down after 3 days. Same was true with the old FnF card which also had a LOS and every person requirement. Now if you could work it where it was only part of the party and use the DDE for a portion and end up getting the extras only part of the time, I'd have a different opinion. Of course there are ways to game the system if one wanted. Maybe get the package for a short stay of say 3 days then change resorts. You get essentially an extra days use on it that way and get to have it both ways. Or if one gets two rooms, get one with the package and the other without manipulating the number in each room according to needs and desires.

Disney doesn't do things that are going to cost them money, most Disney packages over the years have actually been more expensive than their parts. As one person at Disney Travel once told me when I brought it up, "yep, you pay for the convenience".

To take your example, we would spend between $40 and $60 total including tax and tip for 2 people. And remember the Brown Derby is STILL a 2 coupon choice, something one should avoid in this plan if at all possible. And if we took our normal course of doing a larger meal at lunch and less for dinner, it would be even less. But I agree it's not necessarily a bad choice if the stars are in alignment and there are no AP, DDE or DVC discounts available to you and your restaurant choices aren't in the signature category. It's just like about anything else we bat around here, one should look at their own options and decide how it fits in. If I think it's a bad choice, it's still your option if you want to take it.

I admit with the old gold plan (which we did Dec 03) we did not always get the dessert. We did always get appetizers, including our kids, and then we just sampled each others. This was a great way to try lots of things. The servers really, really pushed things on us like adding a lobster tail (at Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Portobello yacht club, this happened and maybe a couple others). They also practicaly begged you to get the desserts to go if you didn't want to eat them there. We always added the lobster tails-who doesn't have extra room for that? We didn't always do the dessert. Then we realized that since the CM's tip was included, the higher our bill, the bigger their tip. So, we started taking the desserts to go.

After that trip we swore the gold plan (3 sit-downs) was serious overkill. We planned to stick with the silver (2 sit downs). The MYW dining plan is really not overkill for a lot of people. But I can understand how it may not be a good deal for every family. A family from my son's baseball team used it last month and they took the desserts to go and ate them for breakfast the next morning. Then, they had their counter service lunch and sit down dinner. While I admit this is not healthy long term, they were only there a week. :) They did a lot of character dinners and some in Epcot and the only thing they paid cash for was a few beers. They raved about the plan. I would just like DVC members to have the option of getting it. Then each family can decide what's best for them. If it never happens, it never happens. We are still thrilled with DVC! :sunny:

Yup...I believe I just saw this today at mousesavers. (pardon me, if that isn't the where it was mentioned)

Anyway, yes, they don't have to offer anything to DVC owners. However, it sort of puts a thorn in my side. I love DVC and am glad about the AP discount and other discounts. Still, free dining with packages is hard to beat regardless of DDE.

Just me, but I'd like to have continued signs of appreciation from Disney to DVC. The fact that dining plans aren't an option is a little annoying. Here's hoping it's an option soon.

Still love DVC, and I doubt the free dining will be an ongoing thing, but I can't see what Disney is hoping to accomplish in terms of loyalty from its DVC members. I guess not much. Of course, all DVC discounts are great including AP, etc., but don't forget that MYE tickets are quite the deal now, too.

I think package options of every type could be incorporated into DVC somehow. Even if just a few options were offered...

disneycrazed139 said:
Yup...I believe I just saw this today at mousesavers. (pardon me, if that isn't the where it was mentioned)

Anyway, yes, they don't have to offer anything to DVC owners. However, it sort of puts a thorn in my side. I love DVC and am glad about the AP discount and other discounts. Still, free dining with packages is hard to beat regardless of DDE.

Just me, but I'd like to have continued signs of appreciation from Disney to DVC. The fact that dining plans aren't an option is a little annoying. Here's hoping it's an option soon.

Still love DVC, and I doubt the free dining will be an ongoing thing, but I can't see what Disney is hoping to accomplish in terms of loyalty from its DVC members. I guess not much. Of course, all DVC discounts are great including AP, etc., but don't forget that MYE tickets are quite the deal now, too.

I think package options of every type could be incorporated into DVC somehow. Even if just a few options were offered...

I completely agree with you. I was told by MS a couple of months ago that they are "working" on it. I really hope that's true. Maybe if a lot of members request it, it'll happen.

BTW, what did you see on Mousesavers? The free dining package? It seems like it's just during hurricane season. Maybe Disney is afraid people won't want to chance a vacation at that time after last year. :umbrella:

NMW said:
I admit with the old gold plan (which we did Dec 03) we did not always get the dessert. We did always get appetizers, including our kids, and then we just sampled each others. This was a great way to try lots of things. The servers really, really pushed things on us like adding a lobster tail (at Flying Fish, Yachtsman, Portobello yacht club, this happened and maybe a couple others). They also practicaly begged you to get the desserts to go if you didn't want to eat them there. We always added the lobster tails-who doesn't have extra room for that? We didn't always do the dessert. Then we realized that since the CM's tip was included, the higher our bill, the bigger their tip. So, we started taking the desserts to go.

After that trip we swore the gold plan (3 sit-downs) was serious overkill. We planned to stick with the silver (2 sit downs). The MYW dining plan is really not overkill for a lot of people. But I can understand how it may not be a good deal for every family. A family from my son's baseball team used it last month and they took the desserts to go and ate them for breakfast the next morning. Then, they had their counter service lunch and sit down dinner. While I admit this is not healthy long term, they were only there a week. :) They did a lot of character dinners and some in Epcot and the only thing they paid cash for was a few beers. They raved about the plan. I would just like DVC members to have the option of getting it. Then each family can decide what's best for them. If it never happens, it never happens. We are still thrilled with DVC! :sunny:
Sounds you've come around to my way of thinking. Choices are always good, even if most people are unlikely to use them (take the DVC exchange options). But I still think that a full counter service meal and a sit down dinner are too much for most people for more than about 3 days. And I think it's unlikely to be offered to DVC members, but you never know. In the past, these types of deals have come and go and seem to change with each and every weekend. Don't get too excited, even if it is offered.

Dean said:
Sounds you've come around to my way of thinking. Choices are always good, even if most people are unlikely to use them (take the DVC exchange options). But I still think that a full counter service meal and a sit down dinner are too much for most people for more than about 3 days. And I think it's unlikely to be offered to DVC members, but you never know. In the past, these types of deals have come and go and seem to change with each and every weekend. Don't get too excited, even if it is offered.

As one who has used the plan (the "old version", earlier this year), I will state that it did save us a great deal of money over what we had spent in prior visits. Most of our dinners for 3 topped $150, with one close to $200. With careful planning, we ate at great locations; including a Fantasmic package, and thought it was a wonderful idea. We ate two meals a day, plus snack(bottled water), didn't think we were stuffing ourselves.

When deciding to buy DVC, one of the negatives was the lack of the plan being offered to members. We also were advised by both DVC & WDW Dining that it was just a matter of time, i.e. the computer explanation, before it would be offered to DVC members. Guess I'm green enough to believe their response.

For those of us who do not always spend a week at the parks each year (or every day at an onsite park) or have many old PH's or MYW tix on hand; AP's don't make fiscal sense nor the DDE. Don't see why the perc isn't offered to DVC members too :sad2:

FYI, the package runs from 8/21 to 10/4, 5 night minimum stay. MYW tix only need to be bought for 1 day, dining plan runs with your length of stay.

I'm almost embarrassed to chime in as I'm such a newbie (and have less "DVC experience") compared to Dean and the rest of you that are posting. However, here goes...

1st thought: Before our DVC days, we purchased one of the "silver" or "discovery magic" type plans. The plan included two "options" per day per person and options could be used for meals or gifts. We had figured that the meals were the best value so that is how we started out. About 1/2 way through the trip we began to cringe at the thought that it was time for another meal. I, also, think the plans encourage people to choose the app and desert when they might not normally order them, just to get the most from the options. We ended up forgoing the big meals and selecting lots of polo shirts instead. The DDE, on the other hand, will give us an appreciated discount and allow us to choose only what we want.

2nd thought: If I understand correctly, the dining plan is only available with a package where the room is charged at rack rate? If this is so, I don't think I can fault Disney as we are already getting a great discounted rate on our room. We are even able to get discounts if we pay cash for some of our nights.

If I were to wish for new discounts, and it scares me that DVC might end up offering less if we complain too much, I would prefer general meal discounts vs. such a structured meal plan.

Just my thoughts...I certainly am not attempting to discount the opinions of others.

keishashadow said:
FYI, the package runs from 8/21 to 10/4, 5 night minimum stay. MYW tix only need to be bought for 1 day, dining plan runs with your length of stay.
I thought I saw somewhere it's a 3 night min like the FnF was. Shorter stays will definitely be a better deal.

Dean said:
I thought I saw somewhere it's a 3 night min like the FnF was. Shorter stays will definitely be a better deal.
It is a 3 day minimum - but yesterday, Mary's "teaser" originally had it as a 5 day minimum. Here's what she posted for details as of this morning (6/2/05):

FREE Dining with a Three Night or Longer Magic Your Way Package

Check in between 8/21/05 and 10/4/05 for a Magic Your Way vacation package of 3 nights or longer at a Walt Disney World resort and get the Dining Plan added at no extra cost!

Sample prices for a 5-night/6-day vacation, including 5 nights accommodations at a Value resort, 6-day Magic Your Way Base Ticket and FREE Dining Plan:

$425 per adult
$209 per junior (ages 10-17)
$168 per child (ages 3-9)

Other resorts and lengths of stay (3-10 nights) available at varying rates. The passes can be upgraded at an extra charge to include Park Hopper option, Magic Plus Pack option and/or No Expiration option.

Disney's Magical Express, providing FREE transportation and baggage transfers between the airport and your Disney resort, can be added to this package.

Stay must be 3-10 nights. Sample prices are based on adult double occupancy in a standard room in Value season. Promotion is only for travel most nights 8/21/05-10/4/05 and the number of packages available is limited. No group rates or other discounts apply. You must book by 7/3/05.

Helpful hint for those who already have tickets or Annual Passes: This package is just like regular Magic Your Way packages in that the minimum ticket length is only ONE day! So you could even book a 10-night package with 10 days of FREE dining plan and a 1-day ticket. Because of this, it may be worthwhile to consider the Free Dining package even if you already have tickets.

Thanks to Small World Vacations for info.

Here's the link that contains the information - plus a little more:

http://www.mousesavers.com/packages.html#freedining

Best wishes -

crisi said:
Yeah, I know they are offering the dining plan for free. Its part of a promotional package....pay full price for the room and park tickets, they throw in the dining plan.

That's what I was thinking too. Unlikely it's "free" in the sense that we would want it to be.

Not to beat a dead horse, but Value Resorts rack rate during that period hover around $100, still quite a value factoring in the dining plan for 4 people.

I do understand that they're trying to increase occupancy rates during hurricane season. Yes, I guess the DVC rooms could be considered "discounted" in the most liberal sense of the term. I assume that the folks staying next to you on a cash basis @ the Villas in WDW inventory are able to purchase the dining plan.

Additionally, several of the posters on this board have indicated that they were told (both orally & written) by DVC & WDW CM's that the plan would be offered as soon as the computer compatibility issue was worked out.

Yes, I'm new here, perhaps that's why I believe what DVC reps indicate will happen. Has there been a pattern wherein DVC changes their position on previously announced upcoming percs? If they back peddle on their promised MYW dining, who's to say they won't withdraw the AP discounts at any time? A perc is just that, a perc - but if you promise it, follow through.

As a Disney stockholder I do expect prudent fiscal policies, but I also expect them to back up any promises they make (especially those made in writing).

I really don't see how having 1 counter service meal, 1 sit down meal, & a snack per day could be construed as "too much"! Maybe my family is just greedy :earboy2: . For someone like me who has NO intention of "cooking meals" or "making sandwiches" in the room, the dining plan sounds great. My family definitely spends more than $35 per day for each adult on food, :rotfl2:

Of course the plan does not make sense for people who do like to make meals in their room :earsboy:

The current "free" dining plan option has given me incentive enough to plan a return trip to our former favorite resort -- Port Orleans Riverside :cool1: . I'm so excited as since we became DVC members we thought that we would not get a chance to stay at POR again (It just not make sense to use points for POR!). Anyway, we are going for 7 nights in September with 1 day base tickets per person (2 adults, 1 3-year old) since we will be purchasing annual passes. The total cost comes to $1226.64. I am going to speak with AAA to see if I can get a discount... :teacher:

I will also be getting the DDE as we will be back in Disney in December for two weeks (BWV & SSR)...

Have a great day everyone!!!

WithFaith50 :earsgirl:

keishashadow said:
Has there been a pattern wherein DVC changes their position on previously announced upcoming percs?
IMO, there has been to a degree. I don't think they're usually intentionally misleading, just overly optimistic. Some original OKW buyers were promised "substantially equivalent" park pass discounts once the free passes ran out. We've been waiting on a workable online site forever. They have been saying they are "working on" a fix for the transfer glitches and how points are handled for at least 6 years now. DVC announced one resort then nixed it and leaked two others that also didn't come about. And I won't even go into the multiple misleading comments some of the guides have spread around over the years. I'm sure I will think of many other examples once I post this.

Put yourself in their shoes. You call or email about this. A MS rep gets the contact and asks someone about it. They get a generic off the cuff answer something to the effect "it's being considered", which is a statement that has little meaning. Then the grape vine gets going and it's just like the whisper train in elementary school. By the time you get to the last person, it will be going into effect tomorrow. And IMO, some MS reps and many of the guides like to spread rumors and half truths of this type, I'm sure for much the same reason as we chat on this board, to keep it interesting.

I'm going in early october and would have otherwise been eligible for this free dining. I would by lying if I said I wasn't a little upset that I'm not eligible because I'm DVC booking on points which I paid $20,000 for.

keishashadow said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but Value Resorts rack rate during that period hover around $100, still quite a value factoring in the dining plan for 4 people.

I do understand that they're trying to increase occupancy rates during hurricane season. Yes, I guess the DVC rooms could be considered "discounted" in the most liberal sense of the term. I assume that the folks staying next to you on a cash basis @ the Villas in WDW inventory are able to purchase the dining plan.

Additionally, several of the posters on this board have indicated that they were told (both orally & written) by DVC & WDW CM's that the plan would be offered as soon as the computer compatibility issue was worked out.

Yes, I'm new here, perhaps that's why I believe what DVC reps indicate will happen. Has there been a pattern wherein DVC changes their position on previously announced upcoming percs? If they back peddle on their promised MYW dining, who's to say they won't withdraw the AP discounts at any time? A perc is just that, a perc - but if you promise it, follow through.

As a Disney stockholder I do expect prudent fiscal policies, but I also expect them to back up any promises they make (especially those made in writing).

But during the period they are offering this an OKW studio S-Th is 8 points. I value mine at about $6 (Dues + accured initial investement). $48. If the MYW dining is worth $35, I'm still at $73 and saving money over the value resorts. On the weekends its different - I'm paying $120 for the room, plus the $35 value MYW package - so $155.

And they can withdraw the AP discount anytime. Buy DVC for what you get by contract and law - a great room at a reasonable price (for on property). Don't buy because you expect perks - they can and do change. Don't buy because you expect Disney to reward you for your loyalty - Disney figures they did that when you stay at OKW for the equivalent of what you'd pay at Motel 6.

Dean said:
IMO, there has been to a degree. I don't think they're usually intentionally misleading, just overly optimistic. Some original OKW buyers were promised "substantially equivalent" park pass discounts once the free passes ran out. We've been waiting on a workable online site forever. They have been saying they are "working on" a fix for the transfer glitches and how points are handled for at least 6 years now. DVC announced one resort then nixed it and leaked two others that also didn't come about. And I won't even go into the multiple misleading comments some of the guides have spread around over the years. I'm sure I will think of many other examples once I post this.

Put yourself in their shoes. You call or email about this. A MS rep gets the contact and asks someone about it. They get a generic off the cuff answer something to the effect "it's being considered", which is a statement that has little meaning. Then the grape vine gets going and it's just like the whisper train in elementary school. By the time you get to the last person, it will be going into effect tomorrow. And IMO, some MS reps and many of the guides like to spread rumors and half truths of this type, I'm sure for much the same reason as we chat on this board, to keep it interesting.

So, I've been saving my allowance for weeks for nothing! I'm all set to be the 1st on board for the CR Villas :rolleyes:

crisi said:
But during the period they are offering this an OKW studio S-Th is 8 points. I value mine at about $6 (Dues + accured initial investement). $48. If the MYW dining is worth $35, I'm still at $73 and saving money over the value resorts. On the weekends its different - I'm paying $120 for the room, plus the $35 value MYW package - so $155.

Crisi,

I just wanted to point out the dining plan cost is $35 per day for each adult. The "value" of that plan depends on what exactly you eat on it (plus tax & gratuity)...which could be more (or less) than the cost :goodvibes .

I think each person/family has to sit down and do the math to see if it makes sense for them. But dining plan or not, DVC rocks :cool1: .

WithFaith50

You are of course, right. I was using value in more an economic theory sense. Economists believe that when the market works price is pretty close to value.

And I'd guess in this case they are a little off - the package is probably worth more in aggregate, but for the reasons Dean outlined above, not everyone who buys the package will get $35 a day in value from it, and some will get far more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter