Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

the surgeon said that if it's positive, he'll do a complete axillary node dissection of the 1st and 2nd level....in other words, remove all of them at those two levels...not just a few, but all of them...
i'm meeting with the oncologist after my chemo next tuesday, so i'll ask her then....
the surgeon said this is the standard procedure used at sloan kettering, which is where he trained...
as i mentioned above, i just read way too many medical journals (basically reviews of clinicall trials and views about sentinel node biopsy and axillary node dissection in patients with imflammatory breast cancer and neoadjuvant chemotherapy...)
and of course, as often happens, when you read 10 articles you get 10 slightly different opinions...oops...
so i'll see what the oncologist has to say..

and to clarify....i'm no longer talking about delayed vs immediate....i'm talking about whether to do the 1st and 2nd level axillary node dissection as stated by the surgeon...
So you are considering not taking out additional nodes if the sentinel node is positive? You could ask if information about the additional nodes would change the course of your treatment one way or another. Are you concerned about lympehedema?

So you are considering not taking out additional nodes if the sentinel node is positive? You could ask if information about the additional nodes would change the course of your treatment one way or another. Are you concerned about lympehedema?

well read and thought some more....i guess i'll just have to go with the complete dissection...it's the only thing that makes sense for someone who's so risk averse that i'm lopping off my healthy breast along with the cancer ridden one...

yes, i'm worried about lymphedema, but that's pretty stupid in the face of cancer...right? right...
so i guess i'll just go with what the surgeon does on this...

at least he's being very supportive about doing the double mastectomy instead of lumpectomy..
and he's didn't say a word about not doing reconstruction....and he even made sure his secretary wrote down in the summary that i don't want any spare skin left behind...let's hope he does a good job, but it will be what it will be....the most important thing is to wake up at the end of the surgery.....the rest is all icing on the cake..

Last edited:
well read and thought some more....i guess i'll just have to go with the complete dissection...it's the only thing that makes sense for someone who's so risk averse that i'm lopping off my healthy breast along with the cancer ridden one...

yes, i'm worried about lymphedema, but that's pretty stupid in the face of cancer...right? right...
so i guess i'll just go with what the surgeon does on this...

at least he's being very supportive about doing the double mastectomy instead of lumpectomy..
and he's didn't say a word about not doing reconstruction....and he even made sure his secretary wrote down in the summary that i don't want any spare skin left behind...let's hope he does a good job, but it will be what it will be....the most important thing is to wake up at the end of the surgery.....the rest is all icing in the cake..

It won't hurt to discuss it more. Lymphedema is a real consideration; just another thing to add to the list when dealing with cancer. :headache: If you can avoid it without altering your treatment plan, then you should take the time to discuss it with your surgeon. (I know you said you are seeing your oncologist but the surgeon is really a good person to talk to about it, as they deal with the structures of the area. Asking them both wouldn't hurt, but you might get different answers, as you've seen.) Are you going to have radiation? (Sorry, I try, but can't always remember details from everyone's unique situations!) Radiation seems to make it worse when the axillary area's lymph channels are affected. I'd feel pretty confident that the surgeon will do a nice job for you. Imagine how many other cases he or she has done. If he didn't do a good job, he'd be hearing from people!

It won't hurt to discuss it more. Lymphedema is a real consideration; just another thing to add to the list when dealing with cancer. :headache: If you can avoid it without altering your treatment plan, then you should take the time to discuss it with your surgeon. (I know you said you are seeing your oncologist but the surgeon is really a good person to talk to about it, as they deal with the structures of the area. Asking them both wouldn't hurt, but you might get different answers, as you've seen.) Are you going to have radiation? (Sorry, I try, but can't always remember details from everyone's unique situations!) Radiation seems to make it worse when the axillary area's lymph channels are affected. I'd feel pretty confident that the surgeon will do a nice job for you. Imagine how many other cases he or she has done. If he didn't do a good job, he'd be hearing from people!

next time i see him is the day before the surgery, but of course, i'll talk it over with him again then..
and based on more info, since by then i'll have seen the oncologist a few times..

as for how i got to this surgeon, i got his name from several people including a person considered the top expert on all things medical.
the person people contact for advice and recommendations regarding what procedure to do, doctors to use..
he even manages to get people anywhere in the world for cutting edge procedures etc...
anyway, he recommended him along with another guy (the one i didn't like)
and my oncologist recommended him...
and my cousin sings his praises......

he's actually retired now....he used to be the head at one of the top hospitals here..
now he just operates once a week privately....
he's even older than i am...(as is the other doctor, the one i didn't pick)..
age really isn't a factor....
my brother in law just had extremely complicated open heart surgery performed by the top guy in the field though he's 71 years old (he's at the cleveland clinic)...
i guess 70 is the new 40...

next time i see him is the day before the surgery, but of course, i'll talk it over with him again then..
and based on more info, since by then i'll have seen the oncologist a few times..

as for how i got to this surgeon, i got his name from several people including a person considered the top expert on all things medical.
the person people contact for advice and recommendations regarding what procedure to do, doctors to use..
he even manages to get people anywhere in the world for cutting edge procedures etc...
anyway, he recommended him along with another guy (the one i didn't like)
and my oncologist recommended him...
and my cousin sings his praises......

he's actually retired now....he used to be the head at one of the top hospitals here..
now he just operates once a week privately....
he's even older than i am...(as is the other doctor, the one i didn't pick)..
age really isn't a factor....
my brother in law just had extremely complicated open heart surgery performed by the top guy in the field though he's 71 years old (he's at the cleveland clinic)...
i guess 70 is the new 40...
You could always call with questions if you had any between now and then. Sounds like you're in good hands.

You could always call with questions if you had any between now and then. Sounds like you're in good hands.

i can....but i've picked him....i trust him....i'll ask my oncologist the questions..
and then the day before the surgery i'll discuss it with him...
i see him first - i guess he marks me with a marker the day before the surgery..
from his office i go straight to the hospital to get the radioactive fluid injected followed by mapping of the lymphatic system....
then the day of the surgery they inject the blue die...
should all be interesting if nothing else....

again, at this point all i care about is waking up..
i am terrified of surgery....
so much so that i put off my hysterectomy for 4 years even in the face of dire warnings that i could hemorrhage to death...
when it finally almost happened i had the hysterectomy 2 weeks later...
i woke up from that one, hopefully i'll wake up from this one...
at this point that's all that i care about..extra skin or no skin or bad incision repair or whatever....doesn't matter...just want to wake up.... :rolleyes:

i can....but i've picked him....i trust him....i'll ask my oncologist the questions..
and then the day before the surgery i'll discuss it with him...
i see him first - i guess he marks me with a marker the day before the surgery..
from his office i go straight to the hospital to get the radioactive fluid injected followed by mapping of the lymphatic system....
then the day of the surgery they inject the blue die...
should all be interesting if nothing else....

again, at this point all i care about is waking up..
i am terrified of surgery....
so much so that i put off my hysterectomy for 4 years even in the face of dire warnings that i could hemorrhage to death...
when it finally almost happened i had the hysterectomy 2 weeks later...
i woke up from that one, hopefully i'll wake up from this one...
at this point that's all that i care about..extra skin or no skin or bad incision repair or whatever....doesn't matter...just want to wake up.... :rolleyes:
I have the same worries. Almost everyone wakes up these days, though. Hang in there. :hug:

:grouphug: guys. My BC was grade 3, triple negative, too, with two nodes positive - which developed 11 months after a totally negative mammogram, so it was very aggressive, also. Had surgery, AC/T and radiation, as well.

Just as a positive, cause I liked to hear the good stories when I was in the thick of it, I never had a recurrence, knock on wood, in 15 yrs. Hopefully that helps to hear! The reading is terrible that's out there.
I love to hear from people like yoi Pea-n-me!! You're a long term survivor!! That's AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing!

I have the same worries. Almost everyone wakes up these days, though. Hang in there. :hug:

thanks..
well i got to the 10th of my taxol/carbo treatments, but my neutrophils were so low, they only gave me taxol today...
they said i've done well to get through 9 of the combined....so i shouldn't be upset..
hopefully my immune system won't take too much of a hit from the taxol alone...

so two more rounds to go..
then 4 weeks off
then surgery
then radiation..

i just hope all this poison is working!!

i'm also doing mammography and ultrasound (done by a dr) next week..

and an MRI a week after i finish chemo...

Last edited:
Disneyholic, I did the whole chemo and radiation thing followed by a mastectomy. I had no problems with the surgery.

Funny, I had lymphodema problems following my first mastectomy. I was in my early 30s and in great shape. I ended up wearing a compression sleeve and buying a machine that would squeeze my arm. After several years, the arm stabilized. It is still swollen, but never got any worse. I no longer wear the sleeve. I've had no problems with lymphodema following the second mastectomy. I was 61 when I had that surgery and had just finished chemo and radiation. I was just sure it would be a problem. Nope!

Hopefully, you will not have any issues. Do be careful going out in the heat. Don't overtax your system by excessive sweating. Wishing you the best!

my head sweats regardless if i'm sitting in an icebox or a sweatbox...
my bald head is covered in sweat (too much information :) )

though i live in a VERY hot climate we (and most people) don't have central a/c....just a/c by room...
so there's a/c in the living room (where i'm not) and not in the basement (where i am)..
but i'm used to it...

so i made it through chemo...well...not all of chemo...
i was supposed to do 16: 4 AC and 12 TC
i did the 4 AC, then managed to do 9 TC, then for number 10 i only did taxol, no carbo (neutrophil count was too low to get both).
and then that was it..
the oncologist stopped my chemo so i didn't get 11 or 12 of the weekly taxol/carbos
she didn't want to exacerbate the neuropathy....
so that's that...

my surgery has been advanced by two weeks to june 18th...
the mammogram/ultrasound that they did last week shows the cancer in my lymph node has disappeared, and the tumor has gotten smaller (but hasn't disappeared).
but i suppose it doesn't matter as i'm getting a mastectomy, so the whole thing is being lopped off anyway...both of them (DMX)...

and then once i'm done with that, i'll begin radiation...

i've been having fun planning the family trip for next summer...disney cruise and DLP.....by then hopefully this will all be a distant memory... :)

Disneyholic, congrats on finishing chemo! I think it was wise to stop if you are already experiencing nephropathy symptoms. I didn't start having symptoms until after I completed treatment. It is ongoing. The bottoms of my feet are completely numb, as are my fingertips. Five years post chemo, my taste buds barely work. Really hate that.

Good luck on the surgery. The radiation is really pretty easy.

Disneyholic, congrats on finishing chemo! I think it was wise to stop if you are already experiencing nephropathy symptoms. I didn't start having symptoms until after I completed treatment. It is ongoing. The bottoms of my feet are completely numb, as are my fingertips. Five years post chemo, my taste buds barely work. Really hate that.

Good luck on the surgery. The radiation is really pretty easy.

thanks!! :)

i did the 4 AC, then managed to do 9 TC, then for number 10 i only did taxol, no carbo (neutrophil count was too low to get both).
and then that was it..
the oncologist stopped my chemo so i didn't get 11 or 12 of the weekly taxol/carbos
so that's that...

the mammogram/ultrasound that they did last week shows the cancer in my lymph node has disappeared, and the tumor has gotten smaller (but hasn't disappeared).
but i suppose it doesn't matter as i'm getting a mastectomy, so the whole thing is being lopped off anyway...both of them (DMX)...

i've been having fun planning the family trip for next summer...disney cruise and DLP.....by then hopefully this will all be a distant memory... :)

CONGRATS on putting that phase of treatment behind you and good news on the shrinking tumor as well.

Good luck with surgery and radiation.

Enjoy planning your Disney trip as well!

and then that was it..
so that's that...

Hang in there! Trip planning is therapeutic, for sure! :goodvibes

Prayers for those going through treatment and surgery

my heart test was normal. Next up is the pulmonary testing. I still can't breathe well and my feet are swollen.

Dh and I went to Disney for our anniversary and my birthday. The Swan was ok. Didn't like not having the boats and dealing With The rain. Third day of trip ds 3 called from Lima Peru and said they wouldn't let him into costa rica because he didn't have a yellow fever vaccine. So he had vacation time and an ap and joined us. Not too thrilled. but we put him to good use pushing the wheelchair when needed. We loved the beach club. Food was good except Marrakesh.

And in life dh is coming back from Virginia today and going to Germany the end of the month. He will miss the family bridal shower. Ds1 waiting for his house closing. Ds2 and fdil waiting to see if their house bid is accepted and ds3 will start in a New neurological ICU job next month. He was bored on his floor. I need to order my gown for the wedding.

GAGWTA

Great news, robinb! Luvmarypoppins, the weather in Orlando has been crazy. It was so dry for months. The first of April, it was like someone opened a top. We've had so much rain!

Hope you're all doing well! We are waiting to hear Kendall's test results. She has an appointment with the neurologist on July 6th (soonest she could get in). They posted the results of some of her tests on her patient portal. It is definitely not Lyme Disease. It also, looks like it is not MS. According to the notes posted by the tech, it appears that she may have systemic lupus. Odd, we thought that might be the case several years ago, but the markers were not all there. I'll be so glad when we know something definitively.

Thinking of you all!

I got some good news today! I had my mammogram today, 5 years after I was initially diagnosed. Everything is a-ok :). I’ll be going to yearly exams next year. I choose to see my doctor one more time between mammograms so I’m 5 years after my radiation was done.

yay!!!!! congratulations on 5 years!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter