Disembarkation Time To Catch Train To Orlando

Paul Stupin

New DVC Member
Hi everyone! My wife and I will be on the Dream from April 26-May 1 next year, after which we’re going to take the new Brightline train from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando for a WDW stay. I’m trying to figure out the earliest time we can reasonably expect to get off the ship and Uber to the train station, which is apparently about 10 minutes away. On other cruise lines, we usually take our own luggage off the ship to avoid having to leave it out the night before and having to sit in various lounges waiting for our disembarkation group to be called. That gives us the option to leave pretty much whenever we want to, usually between 8 or 9 am.

Does DCL operate the same way, or is there no other option than having them offload our luggage and being assigned to a disembarkation group?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

In Miami, DCL uses disembarkation groups. If you want to leave ASAP, without having to rely on them assigning you a low group based on the departure info you provide, you can keep your luggage and use express walk-off. If everything goes according to schedule, the process begins at 7:30 AM. There is often a long line at that time so the moment you get off the ship will correlate with the moment you get in line that morning. If you show up at 7:30, you might be at the end on a line that goes out of the atrium. If you arrive around 7:15, you could be one of the first off the ship.

But you can walk off whenever you want. The groups are only useful to manage guests getting off when their luggage is made available in the terminal since they are still getting them off the ship while the first guests are leaving.

In Miami, DCL uses disembarkation groups. If you want to leave ASAP, without having to rely on them assigning you a low group based on the departure info you provide, you can keep your luggage and use express walk-off. If everything goes according to schedule, the process begins at 7:30 AM. There is often a long line at that time so the moment you get off the ship will correlate with the moment you get in line that morning. If you show up at 7:30, you might be at the end on a line that goes out of the atrium. If you arrive around 7:15, you could be one of the first off the ship.

But you can walk off whenever you want. The groups are only useful to manage guests getting off when their luggage is made available in the terminal since they are still getting them off the ship while the first guests are leaving.
Thanks! Am assuming this is the same for Ft. Lauderdale.

I'm doing the same in Feb but was going to rent a car and drop off at Orlando International. Never knew there was a train! I will definitely look into that :) thanks!

I'm doing the same in Feb but was going to rent a car and drop off at Orlando International. Never knew there was a train! I will definitely look into that :) thanks!
Brightline (which already operates between West Palm & Miami) just started service to Orlando about one month ago. The Orlando station is at Terminal C at MCO. Rates between MCO and stations near either of the South FL Cruise ports start at $79 per person one way.

https://www.gobrightline.com/

The train just opened a few weeks ago. It’s called the brightline and right now it’s priced $79 each way and could be a bit higher if the time you want is in demand. If you are a family of 4 it’s definitely more economical to rent a car and drive to Orlando if you can get a good rental rate. If it’s just 2 of you then the train is a good option. I’m taking it tomorrow from Orlando to check it out myself, I live in South Florida.

Brightline (which already operates between West Palm & Miami) just started service to Orlando about one month ago. The Orlando station is at Terminal C at MCO. Rates between MCO and stations near either of the South FL Cruise ports start at $79 per person one way.

https://www.gobrightline.com/
I just looked into it. It's the same price as renting a car and dropping off at MCO. Once we arrive at MCO I would be getting on the old sunshine flyer heading to WDW so I'm thinking a rental may be better for us as I'm not totally sure where the train would drop us off to and how to navigate to mears from there :(

The train just opened a few weeks ago. It’s called the brightline and right now it’s priced $79 each way and could be a bit higher if the time you want is in demand. If you are a family of 4 it’s definitely more economical to rent a car and drive to Orlando if you can get a good rental rate. If it’s just 2 of you then the train is a good option. I’m taking it tomorrow from Orlando to check it out myself, I live in South Florida.
I would love to know where it drops you off at once you get to MCO. We are taking the old sunshine flyer to disney once we arrive so I'm thinking the rental may be a better option for us as it's basically the same price.

I would love to know where it drops you off at once you get to MCO. We are taking the old sunshine flyer to disney once we arrive so I'm thinking the rental may be a better option for us as it's basically the same price.
I have a rental car as I’m up visiting my son at UF so I flew into MCO but am taking the train back, I didn’t want to do the 5 hour drive by myself. The rental car pick up and drop off is in terminal A, the train station is according to the brightline website a 13 minute walk from terminal C. I will have to figure out how I get from terminal a to c after dropping the rental off tomorrow. I’ll report back my experience.

The brightline station at MCO is adjacent to the Terminal C parking garage. Mears Connect (Sunshine Flyer) also picks up at Terminal C. You would need to go from the train station to Terminal C via the parking garage.

I have a rental car as I’m up visiting my son at UF so I flew into MCO but am taking the train back, I didn’t want to do the 5 hour drive by myself. The rental car pick up and drop off is in terminal A, the train station is according to the brightline website a 13 minute walk from terminal C. I will have to figure out how I get from terminal a to c after dropping the rental off tomorrow. I’ll report back my experience.
Aw thanks so much! Safe travels and Can't wait to hear how you made out. It's definitely a fun way to travel. I have driven the 17 hours 1 way by myself from NJ to disney 2 times this year and drove all the way back hoke. I don't mind driving but this time I will have my 7 year old granddaughter with me and a mobility scooter for a knee injury so trying to figure out what the best options would be :)

There is a APM (automated people mover) that goes from the main terminal to Terminal C. I believe the APM at Terminal C is very close to the brightline station.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, initial reviews of the Brightline service to Orlando are sensational. Can’t wait to hear everyone’s experiences! I think it’s going to be much more fun and relaxing than making a long, unfamiliar drive from Ft. Lauderdale. Also, that new Orlando terminal is supposed to be super nice.

We’re going on the Dream in January. Planning on driving down from WDW but taking the train back to MCO. I wanted to have more control over getting to the ship but don’t really care what time we get back.

I'll be taking Brightline from MCO to Miami this coming Saturday (October 21) and then back from Miami to MCO the following Sunday (October 29) for a (non-DCL) cruise.

The available flights to MIA & FLL were all at bad times for us so we decided to fly to MCO and try out the train instead.

This thread on the Transportation forum might be good to watch, too: https://www.disboards.com/threads/brightline-to-mco-review.3932321/.

All of the onsite rental car companies have pick up/drop off at Terminal C now, so maybe you can change your car rental reservation - https://orlandoairports.net/parking-transportation/rental-cars/

This thread on the Transportation forum might be good to watch, too: https://www.disboards.com/threads/brightline-to-mco-review.3932321/.

All of the onsite rental car companies have pick up/drop off at Terminal C now, so maybe you can change your car rental reservation - https://orlandoairports.net/parking-transportation/rental-cars/
It picked it up from Terminal A through budget and there were signs when I was leaving the garage with the car to make sure to return it to the same Terminal so I'm not sure if I should try to return to Terminal C, I'll call them in the morning to ask.

It picked it up from Terminal A through budget and there were signs when I was leaving the garage with the car to make sure to return it to the same Terminal so I'm not sure if I should try to return to Terminal C, I'll call them in the morning to ask.
Hopefully you can return it to C, if that’s more convenient!

currently they do have some offers for children tickets. I am toying with a trip and the one way fare for a family of 4 is 197 for our dates. A rental car prob will be cheaper but the kids may want the train. Normally the fare is 316.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter