Disney’s Magic Band FAQ Link

Hi! We are planning to return to WDW next month after taking a break since 2019. We were AP holders for years and stayed onsite frequently, so I have at least 35 old magic bands. Some of the very original ones, and some of the redesigned ones after that. Will either of these types still work? We only care about park entry and FP entry (whatever its called now, assuming its still a tap in). We don't do photos or anything like that. I know they 'should', but has anyone tried bands that are this old? lol

Tap functions will work.

If the long range battery isn’t working, ride photos won’t work.

Take a look at your band numbers in MDE online, I noticed Disney deactivated many of mine, my son’s and husband’s. But it’s no big deal, they can reset it for you at the gate if you don’t reset it beforehand. That’s what they did with my son’s band. He had to show ID.

Hi! We are planning to return to WDW next month after taking a break since 2019. We were AP holders for years and stayed onsite frequently, so I have at least 35 old magic bands. Some of the very original ones, and some of the redesigned ones after that. Will either of these types still work? We only care about park entry and FP entry (whatever its called now, assuming its still a tap in). We don't do photos or anything like that. I know they 'should', but has anyone tried bands that are this old? lol
Tap functions still work perfectly on even MB1 bands from 2013-2014. You can use them for park entry, lightning lane entry, etc. If you stay on property you can use them to open the room door, tap to charge to your room, etc.

You mentioned not wanting photos, I don't know if this also applies for on-ride photos and videos?

The old bands will still work for tapping to claim photos from Photopass Photographers as well as on rides where they have a bank of monitors for you to tap and claim your photo as you exit. Like Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Everest, Tower of Terror, etc.

Some rides, like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Tron, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dinosaur, do not have a bank of monitors where you can tap and claim your photos. These rides rely on the MagicBand's "long range features". The long range requires the battery in the band to be good. On MB1 and MB2 bands, the battery isn't replaceable and usually lasts about 2 or so years. If your battery is bad, you wont get photos auto linked on these rides. If you want the photos, you'll have to stop at the Photopass place at the park entries, asking for them to find and link your photos. Give them the approximate date and time you rode, they will usually find it quickly and link them to your account.

Well this is interesting.

When I charged my MB+ bands in the past, I usually power them off in an effort to save battery until I need the long range features. (So like I take the band off the charger in the hotel, power the band off, and wait to power it back on until after I get into the park).

My last trip was early December. I had powered off a few bands that were with me then. As I prepare for travel to Disney tomorrow, I gathered my bands and went to charge them. Several of them were still fully charged!! (as reported by the app). Because its a push button, I had assumed its a "soft off" (doesn't disconnect the battery), and expected there would be some power draw, even in the off position. This was an unexpected surprise that it held the charge this long.

As a reminder:
To power the device off, press and hold the button on the back of the band for about 6 seconds, until it buzzes twice. If the power-off is successful, the LED light will turn red and rotate once in reverse.

To power on, press and hold the button for one second. If successful, you will see a solid greenlight.

Hi everyone. I could use some help. DH and I are going to Disney World soon and his family will join us. It'll be fil, mil, sil, bil, nephew and niece, they are staying in one resort and we will be in another. Fil has an MDE account but isn't fond of dealing with it. I sent him a friend request but he won't accept it. We want to surprise everyone and buy them magicbands with their names on them thru MDE. Is there a way that we can do that without them knowing?

Tap functions still work perfectly on even MB1 bands from 2013-2014. You can use them for park entry, lightning lane entry, etc. If you stay on property you can use them to open the room door, tap to charge to your room, etc.

You mentioned not wanting photos, I don't know if this also applies for on-ride photos and videos?

The old bands will still work for tapping to claim photos from Photopass Photographers as well as on rides where they have a bank of monitors for you to tap and claim your photo as you exit. Like Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, Space Mountain, Everest, Tower of Terror, etc.

Some rides, like Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Tron, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Guardians of the Galaxy, Dinosaur, do not have a bank of monitors where you can tap and claim your photos. These rides rely on the MagicBand's "long range features". The long range requires the battery in the band to be good. On MB1 and MB2 bands, the battery isn't replaceable and usually lasts about 2 or so years. If your battery is bad, you wont get photos auto linked on these rides. If you want the photos, you'll have to stop at the Photopass place at the park entries, asking for them to find and link your photos. Give them the approximate date and time you rode, they will usually find it quickly and link them to your account.

I saw mention that if you have your phone in bluetooth mode, the rides will automatically capture your ride photos too, if you don't have a MB+. True? We have MB2s, that I assume no longer have working batteries (3 years old), and hoping not to have to buy MB+ to have photos automatically captured...

I saw mention that if you have your phone in bluetooth mode, the rides will automatically capture your ride photos too, if you don't have a MB+. True? We have MB2s, that I assume no longer have working batteries (3 years old), and hoping not to have to buy MB+ to have photos automatically captured...
If bluetooth is on and the MDE mobile app has permission to use bluetooth, attraction photos should auto link. It's not perfect and some photos might be missed. If photos don't link, you can contact the photopass group and they can search for them. You can also stop at the photopass desk in any camera center in the theme parks and they can search for them there as well.

If bluetooth is on and the MDE mobile app has permission to use bluetooth, attraction photos should auto link. It's not perfect and some photos might be missed. If photos don't link, you can contact the photopass group and they can search for them. You can also stop at the photopass desk in any camera center in the theme parks and they can search for them there as well.

This might be our plan of attack. Thanks for the info.

Planning party - Me, DH and DD(15). All have profiles managed in my MDE. I am the only one with an MDE account or MDE on my phone. All have multiple MBs (versions 1 & 2, no +). Also have physical cards for date-specific tickets we received by mail. When we booked resort, I listed each by name on the resort reservation and linked their profiles in MDE to resort, physical cards, APRs, and ADRs.

Today I started getting the old MBs out and checking our list. They were all there and active as expected. I went to the Manage MB page on the website and declined new bands for all 3 of us. Now when I go to "My Plans", it still lists each person by name for resort, ADR, APR, etc. However, when I go to "My Magic Bands" it lists existing profiles as "Me", "Me1" (instead of "DH") and "Me2" (instead of "DD(15)") with the same profile pics, ages, and linked bands as before I declined. Only DD(18) who is not attending this trip remains unchanged and listed as herself on her MBs. So will this be a problem that the name is different even though the linked profile appears to be identical? I'm very confused. Should I contact WDW?
Update for anyone who had this issue - the naming discrepancy magically resolved itself by checkin day without me having to call.

Quick question -- it's probably covered somewhere here but I couldn't find it -- is there anywhere on property that they sell the sliders for keeping a MB from falling off?

Quick question -- it's probably covered somewhere here but I couldn't find it -- is there anywhere on property that they sell the sliders for keeping a MB from falling off?

I don’t remember seeing any. I’m blocked out through next week. Hopefully someone else knows.

I have 2 vacation packages - mine and one for my niece’s family - I ordered magic band+ for both packages. Is there any problem with setting up niece husband and child using my phone. My niece only set up a MDE account to view our plans, she has no interest in trying to actually use it. Is there any harm in pairing them to my iPhone and MDE account - I am managing their plans.

Since it is a package all I have to do is pair the band to my iPhone and that will automatically link tickets and their room reservation correct?

I have 2 vacation packages - mine and one for my niece’s family - I ordered magic band+ for both packages. Is there any problem with setting up niece husband and child using my phone. My niece only set up a MDE account to view our plans, she has no interest in trying to actually use it. Is there any harm in pairing them to my iPhone and MDE account - I am managing their plans.

Since it is a package all I have to do is pair the band to my iPhone and that will automatically link tickets and their room reservation correct?
The MB need to be linked to their profiles in her MDE. If you ordered them through the resort reservation link, one for each person, then they’re probably already linked to them. She can open her MDE and look at each person’s profile to see that a MB is linked to them. She should also see their tickets, too.

And as long as you can see all of them (not just her) in your F&F list, you’ll be able to book LLs, VQ, ADRs, etc. that include them just by checking their names when you’re setting up the party for each thing you book.

Do not create a separate profile for any of them in your MDE - you need to be linked to their profiles in her MDE through your F&F list. Having duplicate profiles in your MDE will cause serious complications in planning!

If you’ve already created duplicate profiles for them, or if you’re not sure things are set up correctly, you can call Website Support at (407) 939-4357. You’ll need to have the email address your niece used to set up her MDE as well as your own. Don’t worry, they’re very nice - they understand how confusing the MDE system is!

So far the only one with a separate MDE account is my niece and she hasn't set up any of her family in her friends and family lst at all. Her husband and child are listed in my friends and family stating that I am managing their plans. So I guess I am good - just linked the husband magicband+ to my phone and after an update it says that it is ready and move my arm around to make it light up with the colors but it isn't changing any colors while moving around my arms. Is it supposed to? Or is that just when near a Disney statue or something in the parks?

So far the only one with a separate MDE account is my niece and she hasn't set up any of her family in her friends and family lst at all. Her husband and child are listed in my friends and family stating that I am managing their plans.
Ok, that will work. Are you linked to your niece in your F&F list? If not, you need to Add a Guest and connect to her MDE, so that she can see the plans you make and also so you can include her in those plans. Just don’t create a duplicate of her - her tickets and MB should be linked to her in her own MDE account.
So I guess I am good - just linked the husband magicband+ to my phone and after an update it says that it is ready and move my arm around to make it light up with the colors but it isn't changing any colors while moving around my arms. Is it supposed to? Or is that just when near a Disney statue or something in the parks?
The MB+ doesn’t do anything special until you’re in the parks and participating in something that will send signals back and forth to it. Sorry!

Ok, that will work. Are you linked to your niece in your F&F list? If not, you need to Add a Guest and connect to her MDE, so that she can see the plans you make and also so you can include her in those plans. Just don’t create a duplicate of her - her tickets and MB should be linked to her in her own MDE account.

The MB+ doesn’t do anything special until you’re in the parks and participating in something that will send signals back and forth to it. Sorry!
I remember waving my arm around like an idiot in front of those 50th anniversary statues. Most of the time, nothing happened. Now that those are gone, what is left that makes the MB+ do something when you get close enough?

I remember waving my arm around like an idiot in front of those 50th anniversary statues. Most of the time, nothing happened. Now that those are gone, what is left that makes the MB+ do something when you get close enough?
Those statues are still there and respond to MB+. They removed the 50th medallion and repainted them.

Ah, I hadn't even thought about that. I will put that to the test this June.

Edit/Update:

I noticed the code on the back of the MB+ and found a place to enter that on the Disney app. I entered the number and followed the prompts to pair it. I was able to pair it that way.

Maybe this will help someone else!

I am trying to link a new MagicBand+. I just purchased it

when I press the button on the back of the MB+ to turn it on, the ring around the band turns greens and stays lit up green for about 4 seconds then goes dark. Is it supposed to stay green?

I’m trying to pair it with my app on my iPhone and I keep getting a “tap failed” message.

Any advice on what to do?

Last edited:
Sounds like the issues of mine. I keep trying. It just frustrates me when I think it’s charging only to find out it didn’t charge at all. Pairing and charging are hit or miss on mine.

Sorry, I know you got answers, but to expand on them... True to an extent. Your Bluetooth needs to be ON, the app needs to be signed in on your phone, AND the app needs to be open/running. If your phone closes unused apps to save power that will cause an issue if it closes the Disney app.

On our March 2024 trip, for rides like Guardians, where the photos auto link, the Disney app app kept prompting us about it, and to ensure permissions are set right, each time we entered a ride.

The permissions were set right, the app was running, Bluetooth was on, but getting photos linked were still inconsistent, with both our friend's androids and iPhones. So if you go this route, make note of your ride time incase you don't get them and need to visit the photopass desk in the parks to claim your photos later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter