**Disney After Hours - Magic Kingdom** FAQ & Discussion Thread

My DH and I attended AH last night (3/2). Overall, we really enjoyed the event, and especially loved the low crowds. Everything except 7DMT was a walk on for us, and that was only a 10-min wait. We were also able to get Tangled lantern photos with only 1 couple in front of us! I had never seen the wait so short for that before.

However, we were on the Haunted Mansion when it went down. Not only did we lose 25 min of our AH time, but we were stuck on the hill going down into the graveyard, facing the wrong way! That’s right, our doom buggy never rotated around! We heard some horrible grinding sounds and our buggy (and several in front of us) were moving all around in a jerky motion as they tried to turn. Several cast members came to our aid relatively quickly, but they couldn’t open the buggy because of the way it was facing. We had to wait for maintenance to arrive to free us. The worst part was that we had to hold ourselves up using our feet and arms to prevent falling out of the buggy! Not a fun 25 min, but a good upper body workout! 🤣

We were offered free fast passes for the next day after we were evacuated, but that didn’t work for us, because we had a resort day planned. I spoke with guest relations before we left and explained what happened, and the CM gave us 2 additional anytime fast passes for a day of our choice. Since we are AP holders, I felt like that was a satisfactory option to make up for the lost time from AH.

Although we had quite the experience on the HM, I would definitely do MK AH again. The super low crowds made it worth it for us.
Seems like you guys may have broken the ride! I just saw something on Twitter about HM never having opened today and possibly being down for up to three days. Waiting on some more news sources to report this before linking to a story. But thought you might be interested in knowing that!

Seems like you guys may have broken the ride! I just saw something on Twitter about HM never having opened today and possibly being down for up to three days. Waiting on some more news sources to report this before linking to a story. But thought you might be interested in knowing that!

Oh no! That really stinks for all the people trying to ride HM right now. When the buggy next to us was being evacuated, the CM said something about finding a Woody hat jammed underneath their buggy. Could a hat do that much damage?? The CM also mentioned that he has worked at HM for 5 years and has never seen the attraction malfunction like that.

Has anyone done the Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square during AH? How is the line for that? I'd like to do it our DAH night, wondering what strategy works best for that. Doing it before the event, or waiting until the end of the night while heading out? I don't want to go back down Main Street during the event as I think that's taking time from rides. Assuming also he'll still be there between 12:30 and 1 am when we plan to exit.

We saw him around 12:45 and there were a couple of groups ahead of us. It was a good plan!

My DH and I attended AH last night (3/2). Overall, we really enjoyed the event, and especially loved the low crowds. Everything except 7DMT was a walk on for us, and that was only a 10-min wait. We were also able to get Tangled lantern photos with only 1 couple in front of us! I had never seen the wait so short for that before.

However, we were on the Haunted Mansion when it went down. Not only did we lose 25 min of our AH time, but we were stuck on the hill going down into the graveyard, facing the wrong way! That’s right, our doom buggy never rotated around! We heard some horrible grinding sounds and our buggy (and several in front of us) were moving all around in a jerky motion as they tried to turn. Several cast members came to our aid relatively quickly, but they couldn’t open the buggy because of the way it was facing. We had to wait for maintenance to arrive to free us. The worst part was that we had to hold ourselves up using our feet and arms to prevent falling out of the buggy! Not a fun 25 min, but a good upper body workout! 🤣

We were offered free fast passes for the next day after we were evacuated, but that didn’t work for us, because we had a resort day planned. I spoke with guest relations before we left and explained what happened, and the CM gave us 2 additional anytime fast passes for a day of our choice. Since we are AP holders, I felt like that was a satisfactory option to make up for the lost time from AH.

Although we had quite the experience on the HM, I would definitely do MK AH again. The super low crowds made it worth it for us.

oh my goodness! I cannot imagine being stuck facing down like that! Idk if I would have had the strength to hold myself in. That is crazy. I’ve never heard of that happening before. Glad they compensated you and also glad the rest of your night was good. Wow!

oh my goodness! I cannot imagine being stuck facing down like that! Idk if I would have had the strength to hold myself in. That is crazy. I’ve never heard of that happening before. Glad they compensated you and also glad the rest of your night was good. Wow!

I have to admit it wasn’t easy to hold myself up for that long. Luckily, I could use my legs to brace part of my weight, because I don’t think I would’ve had enough upper body strength otherwise!

I’m debating about whether to try to convince my best friend that we should do the after hours for our trip early May. I did initially bring it up to her but I just don’t know with the price and everything. I think I might be the one who’d be totally interested but she might not be all that into it for the price?

We do have 4-day park hoppers but I feel like we’re not gonna be planning out many days, probably mostly going with the flow, and the after hours would be a great way to do more rides and get some free snacks as well. I did think about trying to convince her for the villains but neither of us are truly villains people so it really wouldn’t make sense for the price increase.

I’m just not sure and keep going back and forth on it... Like it seems like it might be a good deal but we do have 4-day park hoppers and we are staying off-site, my first time ever, and we are there with her parents. Plus it’s more like their family vacation that I was invited on haha, even though we’re probably going to be split up for most of the day.

The only after hours available that week is on a Tuesday, I believe, with the villains one on a Friday. To be honest, I think it’d be easier to convince her if it was on a Friday because then we leave that Saturday, the next day, in the afternoon whereas Tuesday we’re just beginning our vacation kind of. We arrive on Sunday and are probably going to be in Universal on Monday.

I’m debating about whether to try to convince my best friend that we should do the after hours for our trip early May. I did initially bring it up to her but I just don’t know with the price and everything. I think I might be the one who’d be totally interested but she might not be all that into it for the price?

We do have 4-day park hoppers but I feel like we’re not gonna be planning out many days, probably mostly going with the flow, and the after hours would be a great way to do more rides and get some free snacks as well. I did think about trying to convince her for the villains but neither of us are truly villains people so it really wouldn’t make sense for the price increase.

I’m just not sure and keep going back and forth on it... Like it seems like it might be a good deal but we do have 4-day park hoppers and we are staying off-site, my first time ever, and we are there with her parents. Plus it’s more like their family vacation that I was invited on haha, even though we’re probably going to be split up for most of the day.

The only after hours available that week is on a Tuesday, I believe, with the villains one on a Friday. To be honest, I think it’d be easier to convince her if it was on a Friday because then we leave that Saturday, the next day, in the afternoon whereas Tuesday we’re just beginning our vacation kind of. We arrive on Sunday and are probably going to be in Universal on Monday.
You could go by yourself if she isn’t interested? Unless that would be too out of line since you’ll be there with her family, only you would know if that would be appropriate or not. But if they wouldn’t care it’s a thought. I’m not a do things alone person at all, but I would totally do this alone.

You could go by yourself if she isn’t interested? Unless that would be too out of line since you’ll be there with her family, only you would know if that would be appropriate or not. But if they wouldn’t care it’s a thought. I’m not a do things alone person at all, but I would totally do this alone.

While I would probably do something like this alone, I’m not sure if I would because we there together for vacation? If that makes sense. I know her parents probably wouldn’t be joining because they’re “not really ride people anymore” as they put it, but I think it’d just kind of be weird to do it alone?

I do think she’s like the experience of it all, it’s just convincing her that the money is worth it, I think.

While I would probably do something like this alone, I’m not sure if I would because we there together for vacation? If that makes sense. I know her parents probably wouldn’t be joining because they’re “not really ride people anymore” as they put it, but I think it’d just kind of be weird to do it alone?

I do think she’s like the experience of it all, it’s just convincing her that the money is worth it, I think.

oh it is VERY worth it!

I’ve been debating AH at MK for our trip at the end of the month. Love the idea of low crowds as DH will be at a conference and miss being in parks for 3 of the days we are there. Thanks for all the info on this thread.

Has anyone done the Meet Mickey Mouse at Town Square during AH? How is the line for that? I'd like to do it our DAH night, wondering what strategy works best for that. Doing it before the event, or waiting until the end of the night while heading out? I don't want to go back down Main Street during the event as I think that's taking time from rides. Assuming also he'll still be there between 12:30 and 1 am when we plan to exit.
We did it during the final 20 minutes of the event, and there were only 3 groups in line! In fact, all of the character meets were 10 minutes or less

When we were leaving on Monday night (about 5 to 10 minutes before the end of the event) a cast member was outside Town Hall trying very hard to lure people in. He was very funny. I’m guessing based on that there was no line or minimal line.

We saw him around 12:45 and there were a couple of groups ahead of us. It was a good plan!
We did it during the final 20 minutes of the event, and there were only 3 groups in line! In fact, all of the character meets were 10 minutes or less
I would not have thought to stop to meet Mickey during DAH - we always did character meets when the kids were little but don't do it anymore as it's not worth the wait. But this is the perfect time to do it and I'm so glad the question was asked! Definitely making it our last stop on our way out!!

What time did you arrive to the event and did you enter immediately?

What time did you arrive to the event and did you enter immediately?

We’re AP holders, so we arrived at MK a little before 3 PM to watch the parade. We used our 3 FPs and then grabbed dinner at Skippers Canteen before the event started. I’m not sure what time they were letting AH ticket holders enter.

Are they serving alcohol during AH at MK yet? Saw they're doing it for the Fireworks dessert party now (as an option).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter