Disney buys Marvel for $4B

I do like Disney, but you cannot compare the technology that Universal has now with what Disney has. Disney is way behind in the times..

Yes, Disney does rely on their reputation and doesn't seem to be investing in high tech rides as much as Universal. This past weekend when up there for Labor Day, Universal was not as packed as I expected. I didn't go to the Disney parks but did go to Down Town Disney & it was like a mad house there. You could not even walk in the World of Disney Store. Even without high tech, Disney is still racking in the bucks..and I hope they do not destroy Universal... deep down inside, I hate to say it, but I see Disney trying to do that... They are not the "family" friendly park they make themselves out to be..

and an fyi..... I found the guests at Universal to be very well mannered this past weekend.. nothing like many of the guests that were bumping into me at Down Town Disney who were not even batting an eye, never mind an "excuse me" or an "I'm sorry"

Well...here's the first part. No mention of any future plans about Universal...yet. The article is using Merlin Entertainment as the possible buyer instead of Blackstone directly. Same thing though since Blackstone owns Merlin. ;)

Check out this article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-blackstone-merlin-busch-parks-090909,0,502673.story

Here's another article about Disney's plans for WDW and the Marvel characters: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-marvel-theme-parks-090909,0,7101088.story

Well...here's the first part. No mention of any future plans about Universal...yet. The article is using Merlin Entertainment as the possible buyer instead of Blackstone directly. Same thing though since Blackstone owns Merlin. ;)

Check out this article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-blackstone-merlin-busch-parks-090909,0,502673.story

Here's another article about Disney's plans for WDW and the Marvel characters: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-bk-disney-marvel-theme-parks-090909,0,7101088.story

But did you catch this:

"Industry experts say Blackstone could either make the IPO more attractive by buying Busch Entertainment and packaging it with Merlin or use the money raised through a public offering to help finance a purchase of Busch."

My initial thought is that this is the more likely scenario, as it may make it easier to pair that with UO since Merlin doesn't have any real brand recognition here. Also, I don't think you will hear any mention whatsoever of UO in this deal (if your theory is correct) until the last possible moment. Contrary to the hint in the article about Merlin being big in Europe and Busch being big here and how that would make a good combination, I think the far better combination would be a pairing with UO. Long-term, they would make a lot more money and be a much bigger player in the best market in the world.

But did you catch this:

"Industry experts say Blackstone could either make the IPO more attractive by buying Busch Entertainment and packaging it with Merlin or use the money raised through a public offering to help finance a purchase of Busch."

My initial thought is that this is the more likely scenario, as it may make it easier to pair that with UO since Merlin doesn't have any real brand recognition here. Also, I don't think you will hear any mention whatsoever of UO in this deal (if your theory is correct) until the last possible moment. Contrary to the hint in the article about Merlin being big in Europe and Busch being big here and how that would make a good combination, I think the far better combination would be a pairing with UO. Long-term, they would make a lot more money and be a much bigger player in the best market in the world.
Yeah...I'm not sure what to make of the public offering statement and I think you're right...Universal won't be mentioned...maybe that's why Merlin Entertainment is going to bid instead of Blackstone directly? ;)

Yeah...I'm not sure what to make of the public offering statement and I think you're right...Universal won't be mentioned...maybe that's why Merlin Entertainment is going to bid instead of Blackstone directly? ;)

Maybe, but I'm still thinking it will be Blackstone directly with the money from the Merlin IPO. I also think they are using Merlin as a smokescreen of sorts as well, so they can (hopefully) lower the boom and catch most people off-guard.

Guess we'll see within the next week.

This is exciting. I hope that this plays out!

Besides we have a nearby Sea World and I'm imagining all kinds of thing. :)

I do like Disney, but you cannot compare the technology that Universal has now with what Disney has. Disney is way behind in the times..

Yes, Disney does rely on their reputation and doesn't seem to be investing in high tech rides as much as Universal....

Not sure about that since it's tough to compare the two resorts apples to apples. UO is a much younger park, so you would expect both the original and latest attractions to leverage the latest tech. WDW wouldn't be the same without some of the classics.

Also, you can point to Soarin, Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania as a few great examples from the last five years of WDW rolling out cutting edge ride experiences.

I personally love both UO and WDW and hope they both continue to roll out new stuff.

Not sure about that since it's tough to compare the two resorts apples to apples. UO is a much younger park, so you would expect both the original and latest attractions to leverage the latest tech. WDW wouldn't be the same without some of the classics.

Also, you can point to Soarin, Expedition Everest and Toy Story Mania as a few great examples from the last five years of WDW rolling out cutting edge ride experiences.

I personally love both UO and WDW and hope they both continue to roll out new stuff.

I dunno, Disney has built 2 parks basically within that time frame, and I would have to disagree with you on how cutting edge any of the 3 above mentioned rides really are. Yes, they are fun, and I enjoy them as much as anyone, but I don't believe they really compare with what UO has to offer in terms of having the latest technology.

As a passholder to both resorts, I would definitely agree with your last statement, though. Which, incidentally, is yet another reason why I hope Metro's theory is correct. It would benefit everyone that enjoys either resort.

I dunno, Disney has built 2 parks basically within that time frame, and I would have to disagree with you on how cutting edge any of the 3 above mentioned rides really are. Yes, they are fun, and I enjoy them as much as anyone, but I don't believe they really compare with what UO has to offer in terms of having the latest technology.

I have to have agree with your here Rip. We rode Soarin when it first opened at Disneyland and were so disappointed in the quality of the film. I mean come on! The definition, in this day and age, is embarrassing. And after many years, not only have they not improved the film quality, they have duplicated it at Epcot! The actual ride itself is certainly not anything new either. There are many rides like it at Six Flags everywhere.

Everest is nothing cutting edge. The consistency of the animatronics is very poor and the coaster itself is made by Vekoma. Vekoma is not even remotely a leader in coaster technology.

I have to have agree with your here Rip. We rode Soarin when it first opened at Disneyland and were so disappointed in the quality of the film. I mean come on! The definition, in this day and age, is embarrassing. And after many years, not only have they not improved the film quality, they have duplicated it at Epcot! The actual ride itself is certainly not anything new either. There are many rides like it at Six Flags everywhere.

Everest is nothing cutting edge. The consistency of the animatronics is very poor and the coaster itself is made by Vekoma. Vekoma is not even remotely a leader in coaster technology.

First time I rode Everest and Soarin I was not too impressed. After a few rides it grew on me and I had a better time. The yeti is pretty cool but you can only see it for almost a second. I think overall its a good coaster and when I saw a snow mountain in midwest Florida I must say I said "Wow pretty cool". Coarse then I see the back of it where the door is and the magic goes away.

I do think he was onto something with TSM though... That ride was just impressive imo. Although got beat by mom who never comes close to me on MIB cept one time I had a gun that wouldn't fire.(Was very annoyed, I am competitive)

I do think Spiderman is honestly one of the most awesome rides ever. Other then that ride I can't think of anything else groundbreaking from Universal.(Maybe I am wrong) Actually now that I think about it how they did the disaster pre show part is pretty cool too. Yet to know what Harry Potter comes to be.

I will say though I like both parks, even though I enjoy Universal a bit more at this time. I am super impressed with the effort Universal is putting into improving their parks. If this sale goes through I am hoping it will make Disney step up and stop focusing on their resorts and more on their parks.

Problem is prices will most likely be going up soon.

Well, it's not all about the level of technology or video definition quality (if so, let's talk about the 4:3 tube TVs in the queues at ET, Jaws, etc. :)

Soarin sure does take a beating from UO fan boys/girls, but I really think it's a great experience, one of my favs at any theme park. Not perfect, but very cool.

IMO, tech is not the only element of an attractive ride experience. While I absolutely love Spidey and The Simpsons, for example, I could ride Haunted Mansion or POTC over at Magic Kingdom all day long and still be laughing after the 50th time....

Should be interesting to see how/if HP takes IOA to the next level, and what Disney does next...

Well, it's not all about the level of technology or video definition quality (if so, let's talk about the 4:3 tube TVs in the queues at ET, Jaws, etc. :)

Soarin sure does take a beating from UO fan boys/girls, but I really think it's a great experience, one of my favs at any theme park. Not perfect, but very cool.

IMO, tech is not the only element of an attractive ride experience. While I absolutely love Spidey and The Simpsons, for example, I could ride Haunted Mansion or POTC over at Magic Kingdom all day long and still be laughing after the 50th time....

Should be interesting to see how/if HP takes IOA to the next level, and what Disney does next...

Oh I agree with you there (not about riding all day long lol) but you were commenting on the cutting edge rides at Disney and used Soarin and Everest as examples. They really aren't cutting edge at all.

Competition is what makes companies improve. I certainly hope that Universal continues to push the envelope so that we all benefit from the advancements of both parks.

The rides you mentioned.. while they are very good rides, they aren't on the cutting edge of rides.. They can't compare to something like Spidey... and that isn't all that new anymore. Don't get me wrong, I am one of the biggest Disney fans around.. but when it comes to "cutting edge" in my opinion, Disney's cutting is dull... they are great for their classics, that is very true & that is what I love about them... I grew up with the classics.. and the original Mickey Mouse Club.. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter