Disney Gift Cards

AdamsMum

DIS Veteran
I haven't used Disney Gift Card website for a couple of years. It used to give you a balance in U.S. as well as CAD. I just entered some new ones as I have a 2 week trip coming up in January, but it doesn't give a converted balance. How do you know what you're spending when you're there? Are there any problems with using gift cards bought in Canada recently?

They haven't done the conversion in years. I used them in May with no issues. When you pay with the card it will give you the amount you have left in USD. Keep in mind it's the daily exchange rate so the next day that will change. I didn't find it too bad to keep track of. It's the actual exchange rate. So today a $100 CAD GC is worth $73.47 USD.

I so much prefer buying the cards in USD. That makes it so much easier when I get there and pay the price I'm looking at instead of trying to figure out conversion rates

I so much prefer buying the cards in USD. That makes it so much easier when I get there and pay the price I'm looking at instead of trying to figure out conversion rates
But then you have to convert your CAD somehow, with a credit card or at the bank, and either way you pay more than the actual exchange rate for that day. Plus you can't buy them in USD in Canada so you have to do so there, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying them in advance. To each there own but I prefer to use the CAD GCs that I can buy here in advance to save a little on the trip. When spending thousands, every little bit helps (or gets me an extra Mickey pretzel any way).

But then you have to convert your CAD somehow, with a credit card or at the bank, and either way you pay more than the actual exchange rate for that day. Plus you can't buy them in USD in Canada so you have to do so there, which kind of defeats the purpose of buying them in advance. To each there own but I prefer to use the CAD GCs that I can buy here in advance to save a little on the trip. When spending thousands, every little bit helps (or gets me an extra Mickey pretzel any way).
You can buy them in canada in USD. I buy them on the gift card website regularly. I just find it easier. As soon as I have the money I intend to spend I just buy a bunch of gift cards of the website. I generally watch the exchange and get as low as I can. A lot of things make this more convenient for me. I don't drive so getting out to buy the cards in a physical store basically negates any savings anyway.

Was hoping to see the gift card offer shoppers had last year at this time. It hasn't happened either of the last two weeks to match last year's timing. If it doesn't then I will need to buy the 13k in gift cards just with the grocery percentage(3%) on my Visa. It's a lot of points to miss out on. It's over $600 in extra pc points I will miss out on. Here's hoping it comes next week

Shoppers Drugmart, historically before Christmas, offers a gift card offer, where you earn points for buying GC's there. Normally you don't earn points on those. However, I thought it usually happens before their biggest bonus redemption.

Yes can confirm from a recent trip that gift cards purchased n Canada are used without issue while in Orlando. They do the conversion and give the balance in USD on the receipt. If you buy the cards in Canada, their balances will still show up on the disney gift card site in Canadian dollars, even if you made purchases in USD.

On another note, Costco members can buy $250 USD GC for $225 at this link:

https://www.costco.com/disney-gift-card-egift---$250.product.4000236470.html?fbclid=IwAR19mLX7Mp_P37z9ja6FhUa852CmCetMbamRn_Vl9ex8vGIasX15ZBSPUkU
[credit to a poster on a Facebook DVC group]

Even though its the US costco site I was able to log on and purchase. You have to list a US shipping address but I don't think it really matters what you enter because the cards are emailed to you.
This is on the US site,,,so $US? if so still savings,,,but gets washed a little with the exchange rate on a CC

This is on the US site,,,so $US? if so still savings,,,but gets washed a little with the exchange rate on a CC
This costco deal ends up being $612 CDN for $500 USD worth of GC (vs ~$670 if buying through usual means). You could argue I guess that $58 is not huge savings, but if you were going to buy $250 or 500 USD worth of GC anyway, and you have a costco membership, this is best deal I've seen that Canadians can actually purchase.

I used a Scotia Passport Infinite that does not charge foreign exchange fees. Ends up being an additional savings of 2.5% so another $12.50.

This costco deal ends up being $612 CDN for $500 USD worth of GC (vs ~$670 if buying through usual means). You could argue I guess that $58 is not huge savings, but if you were going to buy $250 or 500 USD worth of GC anyway, and you have a costco membership, this is best deal I've seen that Canadians can actually purchase.

I used a Scotia Passport Infinite that does not charge foreign exchange fees. Ends up being an additional savings of 2.5% so another $12.50.
I went and bought 2 for our trip next April. I have a HomeTrust Visa with no forex fees so it seems like a good deal to me!

I now have a bunch (in USD) combined onto one e-card, but I don't have a physical card. The Gift Card site won't let me transfer the balance in USD to any of the physical cards I do have (which I purchased in Canada (presumably because they are in Canadian dollars).

Does anyone know how I can use what's listed on a card for the website for which I don't have a physical card? Do I have to purchase a physical card in USD somehow?

I now have a bunch (in USD) combined onto one e-card, but I don't have a physical card. The Gift Card site won't let me transfer the balance in USD to any of the physical cards I do have (which I purchased in Canada (presumably because they are in Canadian dollars).

Does anyone know how I can use what's listed on a card for the website for which I don't have a physical card? Do I have to purchase a physical card in USD somehow?
I've been able to use e-cards before- remember in the BC days (before covid) when they paid you to opt out of housekeeping? They sent a gift card to my email and it had a barcode that was able to be scanned. Do yours have one show up?

You can buy a gift card on site for the smallest amount i guess? That would work, then load the ones you've bought onto it. They have them in all of the resort gift shops heck even in the stores in the Orlando Airport! Looks like the smallest amount for buying one is $15

Yes, as mentioned above, you'd have to purchase a physical USD gift card and then transfer the balance there. I think the minimum amount you'll need to put on it is $15.

Another option would be to add the e-gift card to your digital wallet and just use that. I've just used that before and haven't had any issues. Vendors will just take the number to punch in, or scan the barcode. You could alternatively print the digital card and show this once you're onsite. If you have the original email for the e-gift card, the barcode and button to add to your digital wallet should be on there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter