Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I know there's a boarding station at Epcot, Riviera, AoA/Pop, and DHS. I know the major hub will be at CBR. Are we assuming people will also be able to board at the CBR hub? Or will that station be strictly a pass-through station to get folks to their destination? I guess I look at the pictures and can't quite imagine people having to cross the road near Jamaica to get over to the station, unless they're planning to install a foot bridge or something? Or maybe CBR people will take an internal shuttle to the station?

I'm certain the air-conditioning situation was discussed ad nauseam. It would be insane to spend the amount Disney is spending unless they were absolutely certain the gondolas would be tolerable.

Current conditions at Walt Disney World. (Check out the heat index...aka "feels like" temperature.)

lbv-weather-summer-f.jpg

For the rest of world that uses the metric system:
lbv-weather-summer-c.jpg

Source: http://www.intellicast.com/Local/Weather.aspx?unit=F&location=USFL9833

There was a post on another forum that quoted an interview with another Gondola manufacturer who said that they are able to achieve an internal temperature that is just a few degrees higher then the outside temperature using just passive cooling.

I know there's a boarding station at Epcot, Riviera, AoA/Pop, and DHS. I know the major hub will be at CBR. Are we assuming people will also be able to board at the CBR hub? Or will that station be strictly a pass-through station to get folks to their destination? I guess I look at the pictures and can't quite imagine people having to cross the road near Jamaica to get over to the station, unless they're planning to install a foot bridge or something? Or maybe CBR people will take an internal shuttle to the station?
Yes, CBR is one of the resorts served by the system.

There's already an internal shuttle bus at CBR, but it only runs every 15-20 minutes. IMHO, that service level will be increased and they'll most likely add a stop adjacent to the Skyliner station. They'll probably also install stop signs at the crosswalk to make it safer for Guests to walk to the station.

There was a post on another forum that quoted an interview with another Gondola manufacturer who said that they are able to achieve an internal temperature that is just a few degrees higher then the outside temperature using just passive cooling.
So then 93 degrees in the sample shown? :crazy2:

Yes, CBR is one of the resorts served by the system.

There's already an internal shuttle bus at CBR, but it only runs every 15-20 minutes. IMHO, that service level will be increased and they'll most likely add a stop adjacent to the Skyliner station. They'll probably also install stop signs at the crosswalk to make it safer for Guests to walk to the station.

I agree it will likely be an internal CBR shuttle, though I suspect they will also make a walking path. Since CBR guests are the only ones that never have to change lines to get to either park, the bus loop won't seem so bad.

You spend all day walking around in 93 degree weather, what's another 5 minutes?
I actually try very hard to avoid it. And when it's that hot, I don't squeeze into a small cabin with 7-9 other sweaty people.

How about a monorail? That AC isn’t always working.

Honestly I don’t think this will be as big of a problem as people think.
Nope. I haven't been on the monorail with the A/C not working. Maybe I'm just living right.

I do see a difference though between a system with no A/C at all and one with A/C that breaks down from time to time. I realize it's not an issue for everyone, but it's definitely an issue for me, so honestly I will probably mark these resorts off my list.

And those Friendship Boats, with sealed windows and a few totally inadequate roof-mounted a/c units. I think some of those must be well into the 90's inside, with no airflow unless you're sitting directly under an a/c unit. But I rarely see complaints about them,
Yeah that’s a good point. It does get warm inside those.

How about a monorail? That AC isn’t always working.

Honestly I don’t think this will be as big of a problem as people think.

You aren’t from Florida. Heat is a huge issue. It’s illegal here to leave a child or animal in a car for any length of time even with the windows cracked. Will Disney be considered breaking the law if these stop for any reason? Yes, they are towable, but there are dozens? on the line at one time so some car is going to be the unlucky last one.
No one is being negative or a naysayer by pointing out that the 99% humidity of Florida may be a huge problem. I would love to think that they will use a film on the windows that LOWERS the inside temperature by 10 degrees. Keeping it three degrees HIGHER would be unbearable for 8 months of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter