• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

I can't wait to try them. They recognize heat is an issue, they have recognized it everywhere else, along with the other Florida hurdles. If I though Disney was that dumb I'd be staying away from the parks entirely, or at least all of the roller coasters... The skyliner will draw some people, and keep others away, it's a subjective call just like with boats, monorail, buses, etc... I have no doubt some will love 'em and some will hate 'em, and that's ok, I'll save a decision til I actually ride myself.

You aren’t from Florida. Heat is a huge issue. It’s illegal here to leave a child or animal in a car for any length of time even with the windows cracked. Will Disney be considered breaking the law if these stop for any reason? Yes, they are towable, but there are dozens? on the line at one time so some car is going to be the unlucky last one.
No one is being negative or a naysayer by pointing out that the 99% humidity of Florida may be a huge problem. I would love to think that they will use a film on the windows that LOWERS the inside temperature by 10 degrees. Keeping it three degrees HIGHER would be unbearable for 8 months of the year.
What does being from Florida have to do with anything? I understand heat, I’ve been to Florida many times. It also gets hot and humid where I live.

These also are not cars where children or pets are being left inside.

You aren’t from Florida. Heat is a huge issue. It’s illegal here to leave a child or animal in a car for any length of time even with the windows cracked. Will Disney be considered breaking the law if these stop for any reason? Yes, they are towable, but there are dozens? on the line at one time so some car is going to be the unlucky last one.
No one is being negative or a naysayer by pointing out that the 99% humidity of Florida may be a huge problem. I would love to think that they will use a film on the windows that LOWERS the inside temperature by 10 degrees. Keeping it three degrees HIGHER would be unbearable for 8 months of the year.

I live here too and even though my window tint on our vehicles help, it is nowhere near enough to make it comfortable in the middle of the day, full/partial sun and with only a window cracked (even at elevated speeds which will far exceed the gondolas).

Towable is not an accurate description. Typically there are 2 backup diesel generators: one can run the line at normal speed, and the 2nd runs the line at reduced speed in case the first fails. Assuming the generators are properly maintained and tested on a regular basis, it should take just a few minutes to get the line going again.
The recent photos do show some sort of highly reflective coating on the glass.

Towable is not an accurate description. Typically there are 2 backup diesel generators: one can run the line at normal speed, and the 2nd runs the line at reduced speed in case the first fails. Assuming the generators are properly maintained and tested on a regular basis, it should take just a few minutes to get the line going again.

The recent photos do show some sort of highly reflective coating on the glass.
Exactly.

I live here too and even though my window tint on our vehicles help, it is nowhere near enough to make it comfortable in the middle of the day, full/partial sun and with only a window cracked (even at elevated speeds which will far exceed the gondolas).
Car windows are perpendicular to the vehicle's motion. The gondolas' vents will be facing forwards and backwards, and I think we can assume they've been designed to maximize airflow.

Car windows are perpendicular to the vehicle's motion. The gondolas' vents will be facing forwards and backwards, and I think we can assume they've been designed to maximize airflow.

Fair point. I guess I would ask at what velocity will the gondolas travel and will that be sufficient during peak summer days? And will they operate in the rain and, if so, with the vents facing forwards, will there be a possibility of rain coming into the gondola?

Fair point. I guess I would ask at what velocity will the gondolas travel and will that be sufficient during peak summer days? And will they operate in the rain and, if so, with the vents facing forwards, will there be a possibility of rain coming into the gondola?

About 14 MPH. I've been in other gondolas when it was over 100 degrees out and the open flow windows were more than enough to keep it bearable inside, and they didn't have the reflective window coating.

Consider it a water ride. :)

But seriously, I don't know, but I'm guessing the vents will be hinged at the top, like louver windows. It's been remarked that there also appears to be some sort of vents at the bottom of cabin. If the sun's not out, you would need less ventilation to keep a comfortable temperature.

They cabins look to be about the size of a small bathroom...if they were to have an exhaust fan "solar powered" like in a bathroom that would go a long way to reduce the heat. They will be uncomfortably at times during certain times of the day and year but overall should be okay for the short rides that most will take.

For now there is no way to know exactly how it will be inside the gondolas. I can't imagine Disney would install a multi-million dollar transportation system without considering if it would be unbearable for guests to use it. There exists gondola systems in other areas that are very hot and have high humidity that don't have A/C and they seem to be fine ...

... but in the end when the systems are up each individual can wait for reviews, etc and then decide if they want to ride them or not. If not, there are many other resorts to pick from or you can use a MinnieVan or other means of travel to get to the places the gondolas go. I am sure is is >0% of people that won't ride them but no way they would build a system that would make it so 80% of people wouldn't be able to ride or something

I just can’t understand how people think Disney hasn’t thought this through given the massive legal liability it could be. Also forget about Disney, but dopplemeyer will make sure that this works because this is the first big time project they’ve done outside of a ski setting in the states and giving them a lot of visibility to American audiences for the first time. They will make sure this works simply because of how bad the PR would be if it didn’t

I just can’t understand how people think Disney hasn’t thought this through given the massive legal liability it could be. Also forget about Disney, but dopplemeyer will make sure that this works because this is the first big time project they’ve done outside of a ski setting in the states and giving them a lot of visibility to American audiences for the first time. They will make sure this works simply because of how bad the PR would be if it didn’t

Agreed.

As for the heat-yea I prefer they have AC (although we rarely visit in the summer) but the 6 months off summer won't even be an issue. Then in the summer the mornings and evenings/nights won't be either. I really don't think cloudy days in summer will be either. Some of those peak summer sunny days will be pretty warm I bet, but a pretty short ride I presume.

I would guess over a 7 day trip-most guests will maybe ride once or twice, (and will never be "forced" to as there are other options). More if at a "Skyliner Resort" I suppose.

There will be plenty of times (esp after sunset) in the winter folks will wish they had heat and at least will have the vents shut.

They cabins look to be about the size of a small bathroom...if they were to have an exhaust fan "solar powered" like in a bathroom that would go a long way to reduce the heat. They will be uncomfortably at times during certain times of the day and year but overall should be okay for the short rides that most will take.

I think they will be fine for the distance(s) traveled and agree that at certain times it might be more challenging. But, I really don't see it much different than some of the other modes of transportation.

They will still have buses running from these resorts right? So people can choose those if they wish?

Not entirely clear - some reports that they would eliminate bus service to EPCOT and DHS from these resorts. My guess is I it will at least be greatly reduced

Not entirely clear - some reports that they would eliminate bus service to EPCOT and DHS from these resorts. My guess is I it will at least be greatly reduced

Thanks! I could see greatly reduced but hopefully they will still run so people have options

Since I'm asking questions today lol, can the gondolas run in lightning storms?

Thanks! I could see greatly reduced but hopefully they will still run so people have options

Since I'm asking questions today lol, can the gondolas run in lightning storms?

I will add that I don’t thinkbthe *have* to have bus service as they could point you to a MinnieVan as an alternative

As for lightening, again I don’t hinknwe know for sure but some talk of them each being faraday cages so it would be safe - again my guess would be that they would not have any more restrictions than other forms of transportation (monorail, etc)

I will add that I don’t thinkbthe *have* to have bus service as they could point you to a MinnieVan as an alternative

As for lightening, again I don’t hinknwe know for sure but some talk of them each being faraday cages so it would be safe - again my guess would be that they would not have any more restrictions than other forms of transportation (monorail, etc)
$25 a shot isn't always an option for people. That adds up pretty fast for families on a tight budget. And remember 2 of these are value resorts.

I bet they offer buses for at least a while, but they'll be so slow coming nobody will want to use it, then they'll cancel for "lack of demand".

$25 a shot isn't always an option for people. That adds up pretty fast for families on a tight budget. And remember 2 of these are value resorts.

I bet they offer buses for at least a while, but they'll be so slow coming nobody will want to use it, then they'll cancel for "lack of demand".

Right but they are going to market the gondola as a feature of staying there and likely up the price accordingly - and if you don’t want that feature there are other values you can stay at instead - these aren’t the only on property hotels

And remember the only way to get from the Poly to EPCOT is the monorail - so they have set the precedent in the past to not have a secondary form of transpiration

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter