Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

That could be super impressive, but there is a lot of backstage that would need to be addressed.

I’m still not sure why they chose a gondola design that looks closer to 1980’s design instead of the future.

Guess hard to pick a design that would tie into everything but I think they went with what they did because:
- harkens back to the old skyway
- fits into POP Century
- fits into the style of the station at DHS
- Learned from Tomorrowland and Future World that the future comes soon and then the future looks old, so better to pick something classic or at least retro-future

Guess hard to pick a design that would tie into everything but I think they went with what they did because:
- harkens back to the old skyway
- fits into POP Century
- fits into the style of the station at DHS
- Learned from Tomorrowland and Future World that the future comes soon and then the future looks old, so better to pick something classic or at least retro-future

I think the design was picked for function...it's what's available. I'm not quite sure how Doppelmayr would make the cabins "futuristic". Remember, Disney is buying these kind of off the shelf like a car from Doppelmayr, so there is a limited amount of customization.

I think the design was picked for function...it's what's available. I'm not quite sure how Doppelmayr would make the cabins "futuristic". Remember, Disney is buying these kind of off the shelf like a car from Doppelmayr, so there is a limited amount of customization.

that too I suppose :thumbsup2

Guess in the artist renderings they have a bit more of a retro vibe to me than they straight up Doppelmayer

Disney-Skyliner-Transportation.jpg

Can they do that? The cable comes in contact with other metal items and whether it is AC or DC power, there must be a "return" circuit.
I have no idea if they have, but I don't see a reason why they couldn't on a 2+ cable system. I believe they already put polymer wear strips on the tower rollers, which could be used as electrical insulation, so you could use the propulsion rope as your hot cable. The support rope could be used a your neutral/ground wire and would likely be bonded to each tower. Power would get into the propulsion rope at or near the terminal drum. A lot like how subways are powered, just through steel ropes instead of steel tracks.

The problem with using an alternator on one of the wheel on a 2+ cable system, is assuming each car needed about 1 ton of AC (similar to a small car), each alternator would need to pull up to 2.5 HP of energy off the cable, which would have to come from the propulsion cable. Now multiply that by ~80 cars and now you need an additional 200 HP in propulsion power. Not sure how big the motors normally are to know if this is a big deal or not.

Well that and costs, still though fly them behind the pavilion. The floating mountains in the distance with a couple smaller drones would be cool. Star Wars could benefit from the same thing, and have a Combat Carl launch next door to Andy's backyard. Simple little touches that won't happen.

I don't think any of that qualifies as "simple" to me. Simple is putting up some scenery and maybe painting it occasionally. Flying drones that look like banshees or Star Wars spaceships on a daily basis is complex. There are all sort of safety issues that must be addressed. And unless the rules/laws have changed, you can't fly commercial drones over people (that includes all Cast Members in backstage areas).

I don't think any of that qualifies as "simple" to me. Simple is putting up some scenery and maybe painting it occasionally. Flying drones that look like banshees or Star Wars spaceships on a daily basis is complex. There are all sort of safety issues that must be addressed. And unless the rules/laws have changed, you can't fly commercial drones over people (that includes all Cast Members in backstage areas).

Yup, this is correct. When they did the drones at the Super Bowl a few years ago, they had to pre-tape it as they couldn’t fly them over crowds.

I fly a Mavic, which is one of the lightest quads out there, but that sucker could still hurt someone if it fell out of the sky. Lots of issues to sort out still.

I recently was listening to a podcast by Jim Hill episode 177. He says he has information that the gondola system will extend from Kidani Village all the way to Saratoga Springs. He also says that the gondola systems will be air condition and other interesting facts about the gondola system. You should take a listen to it quite informative. My question is if this is correct what do you think it will do to the value of the animal kingdom DVC and Saratoga DVC. Could that be why Disney is buying resale contracts to get the price over 100 per point because they know the system is coming on line

I recently was listening to a podcast by Jim Hill episode 177. He says he has information that the gondola system will extend from Kidani Village all the way to Saratoga Springs. He also says that the gondola systems will be air condition and other interesting facts about the gondola system. You should take a listen to it quite informative. My question is if this is correct what do you think it will do to the value of the animal kingdom DVC and Saratoga DVC. Could that be why Disney is buying resale contracts to get the price over 100 per point because they know the system is coming on line

The response to this is that Jim Hill is full of baloney.

search
I have been assuming that the tram cars would be something like these large, modern, comfortable ones that I rode last year in Hong Kong. I used to hate all Skyliner type rides until I tried this one. Clean, smooth, very roomy and quite comfortable.
hong-kong-trip-ngong-ping-360-cable-car-crystal-cabin.jpg
20151115_132453.jpg

I rode on those too and found them very comfortable and despite the humidity in Hong Kong - no A/C!

Too bad the WDW won't have glass bottoms like these did:
Glass bottom.jpg

While I certainly think they are planning or considering more skyliner lines, I don't think anything is imminent. One would think they'd install these, operate them for a bit to see how they work in the real world disney application and go from there. I don't think you will see these lines expanded, as looking at the stations they simply do not make sense in terms of adding another line.
I think you could expect something from animal kingdom lodge to animal kingdom as it's own stand alone project.
I think you could see maybe a line from epcot to OKW, Saratoga and Disney springs, likely with a new DVC project somewhere along the line in order to help justify the build. Heck maybe it's a new go to component for new DVC projects? However, I think you have to look at those at Blue sky projects, waiting on some real world data from what is being built now.
I have to think transportation is a big concern for WDW, as they reached a critical juncture where guest population is increased to a point that the current bus/monorail options just are treading water. I think the roads are too congested to allow BUS traffic to increase without dedicated roads/lanes. Monorail is not cost effective to expand, and is barely cost effect to keep what they have running. They've added Minnie vans. Skyliner seems like the new frontier, IF it works. Cost wise is pretty reasonable. Doesn't have crazy staff requirements. Other installations of similar tech have been quite reliable. Certainly has potential.

While I certainly think they are planning or considering more skyliner lines, I don't think anything is imminent. One would think they'd install these, operate them for a bit to see how they work in the real world disney application and go from there. I don't think you will see these lines expanded, as looking at the stations they simply do not make sense in terms of adding another line.
I think you could expect something from animal kingdom lodge to animal kingdom as it's own stand alone project.
I think you could see maybe a line from epcot to OKW, Saratoga and Disney springs, likely with a new DVC project somewhere along the line in order to help justify the build. Heck maybe it's a new go to component for new DVC projects? However, I think you have to look at those at Blue sky projects, waiting on some real world data from what is being built now.
I have to think transportation is a big concern for WDW, as they reached a critical juncture where guest population is increased to a point that the current bus/monorail options just are treading water. I think the roads are too congested to allow BUS traffic to increase without dedicated roads/lanes. Monorail is not cost effective to expand, and is barely cost effect to keep what they have running. They've added Minnie vans. Skyliner seems like the new frontier, IF it works. Cost wise is pretty reasonable. Doesn't have crazy staff requirements. Other installations of similar tech have been quite reliable. Certainly has potential.

All-Stars' combined ~5.45K rooms to AK and HS would be the closest volume of rooms as the present project and not too much longer in length. Not sure the IGW could handle adding the All-Stars as well or if you would if you're selling DVC's via direct delivery to IGW. Dixie Landings ~3K rooms to the front of EP also makes sense if the monorails can handle the extra traffic to MK from there but guests might balk at two transfers to get to MK. After that Coronado Springs will be a 2,400 room once the tower is finished and could easily have Skyliner runs to AK, HS, and the front of EP.

Last edited:
I think the key with the current project is that it connects two parks, as well as a new DVC project and a large amount of beds.

I don't think you will see another line feed the international gateway, even if Epcot is one of the destinations. I don't think there is enough room for another line to come in. I think you do have room for people, with reconfiguration of the gate and proper staffing.

I don't know if it truly makes sense for the amount of ground to be covered, but if you could link the main gate of Epcot to Animal Kingdom, serving a yet to be built new (DVC?) property at the front of Epcot and any thing else in between, I think you'd release a lot of bus burden. I think Animal Kingdom is the outlier, and connecting that with something other than bus would help tremendously.

I also wonder if Hollywood Studios would benefit from a second access gate once Star Wars opens, on the opposite side of the park.

All-Stars' combined ~5.45K rooms to AK and HS would be the closest volume of rooms as the present project and not too much longer in length. Not sure the IGW could handle adding the All-Stars as well or if you would if you're selling DVC's via direct delivery to IGW. Dixie Landings ~3K rooms to the front of EP also makes sense if the monorails can handle the extra traffic to MK from there but guests might balk at two transfers to get to MK. After that Coronado Springs will be a 2,400 room once the tower is finished and could easily have Skyliner runs to AK, HS, and the front of EP.

With more thought Port Orleans should be next up for a DVC addition. Yacht Club was in conjunction with Boardwalk and Beach Club, AK- Villas, Contemporary- Bay Lake Tower, GF- Villas@, Poly- Villas and bungalows, FWL- Boulder Ridge and Copper Creek, Coronado Springs getting a 400 room tower albeit for conventions, Caribbean Beach gets the Riviera, FortW- all signs point to River Country being redeveloped as a DVC, which leaves Port Orleans as the only deluxe or moderate without a DVC sister property or major addition.

Last edited:
Bob Chapek, Disney parks chair, said at D23 Expo. “Many of these gondolas will feature your favorite Disney characters and what a better way to get around the resort than with your pals in the sky.”
The cabins are not expected to have air conditioning, but will have air vents that provide passive cooling.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter