Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

just released today.....

The introduction of a new gondola system that will transport guests through the air may have some theme park enthusiasts and potential vacationers wondering what will happen if an emergency occurs while their vehicle is suspended above water. A new permit filed today requests approval for the construction of a new dock at Hourglass Lake to be used for an emergency rescue boat which will serve the Disney Skyliner.

The dock will be located on the northwest shore of Hourglass Lake, adjacent to Disney’s Art of Animation Resort and across the water from Disney’s Pop Century Resort.

full article available here

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news-stories/hourglass-lake-to-add-emergency-dock-for-disney-skyliner/

Just a few of my own observations (my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt):
1. I can't imagine them not having A/C during the hot summer months. I've had to ride the monorail when the A/C was out and it was horrendous. I can't imagine these wouldn't be hot as blazes (like a car sitting in the hot Florida sun). Yeah, a little venting will help, but not substantially. And what happens if it does break down, you'll just have to sit there roasting in the hot sun like a dog left in a hot car.

2. While you might see price increases in the nightly rates at the gondola resorts, I'm betting Disney will implement a resort wide transportation fee for either all guests, or all rooms. It might simply be called a "resort fee", which would be similar to what all the hotels around Disney charge (remember, that's why they started charging for parking at the resorts). You could also ask for a fee from AP holders if they ever want to use Disney Transportation. Remember, nothing is free under Iger's administration.

Just a few of my own observations (my opinions, so take them with a grain of salt):
1. I can't imagine them not having A/C during the hot summer months. I've had to ride the monorail when the A/C was out and it was horrendous. I can't imagine these wouldn't be hot as blazes (like a car sitting in the hot Florida sun). Yeah, a little venting will help, but not substantially. And what happens if it does break down, you'll just have to sit there roasting in the hot sun like a dog left in a hot car.

2. While you might see price increases in the nightly rates at the gondola resorts, I'm betting Disney will implement a resort wide transportation fee for either all guests, or all rooms. It might simply be called a "resort fee", which would be similar to what all the hotels around Disney charge (remember, that's why they started charging for parking at the resorts). You could also ask for a fee from AP holders if they ever want to use Disney Transportation. Remember, nothing is free under Iger's administration.

1. I guess we shall see ... I don't think the *need* to have A/C as passive cooling will help and the trips are relatively short (I think all the legs will be no more than 5 mins or so). And just the added maintenance and additional $ for what I think would be a marginal benefit, I just don't see it ... but we shall see, wouldn't be the first time I am wrong

2. I think what we are going to see at around 1/1/20 is a "Galaxy's Edge fee" with on site rooms seeing a significant increase in price, with those with close proximity to or direct transportation to DHS seeing the biggest increase.

As noted several times in this thread AC in gondolas is rare even in climates similar or hotter than Florida. These are said not to have AC and will have ventilation along with solar reflective windows.

Just one thing to note, the Monorail is designed to have A/C and does not have passive cooling. It will definitely become stifling if the A/C goes out. The gondola cars will have passive cooling and will nearly always be in motion, so it really isn't a fair comparison. Now, the gondola cars may well still be uncomfortably hot, but it has no bearing or correlation to conditions on the Monorail.

They already did this. The nightly parking fee at all resorts. I believe this parking fee was implemented to help offset the costs of the gondola. All hotel rooms and all DVC dues contribute to the transportation costs. This could be one reason that the Value Resorts are more expensive than comparable off-site hotels.

Last edited:
1. I guess we shall see ... I don't think the *need* to have A/C as passive cooling will help and the trips are relatively short (I think all the legs will be no more than 5 mins or so).

Yea it was 86 and sunny when we rode at the fair, but it was only .40 miles, so about the same at CBR to Riviera.

Heat was no issue at all, but still not quite as hot and humid as FL summers.

You can see they have good ventilation.

enhance

enhance

enhance

1. Gondola manufacturer's claim that the inside temperature can be kept within a few degrees of outside temperature with just passive cooling. The few gondola AC systems that do exist require that the power source be constantly re-charged each time the car passes through a station, so even if they did install AC it wouldn't help if the systems stops for more then a few minutes.

You could also ask for a fee from AP holders if they ever want to use Disney Transportation. Remember, nothing is free under Iger's administration.

Not specifically AP holders, but day guests with any ticket media who aren’t staying at a Disney resort. I have an AP but the only time I would be using a gondola would be as a resort guest, and I should be able to do so the same as any resort guest. As a day guest, I park at the theme park I am visiting. But really, transportation is currently rolled into the ticket media, especially any tickets that include park hopping.

Way back when WDW opened, you did have to buy a transportation ticket to use the monorail or ferry to MK as a day guest. If you bought a ticket book, there was a separate transportation ticket attached, or you could just buy the transportation ticket separately. So if they went back to that model, they have a precedent. I can also remember when you had to show your resort ID (they were paper back then) to get on buses. I would have no problem using my MB to access transportation to prove I am a resort guest.

I just don’t think Disney will do anything to cut down on day guests using the gondolas because they want the spending at the resorts.

I have made my Pop reservations for January and December 2019, but may look to a different resort for May and September when the weather is hotter, due to the gondola (not that I think the gondola will be open in January).

1. Gondola manufacturer's claim that the inside temperature can be kept within a few degrees of outside temperature with just passive cooling.

OK . . .it is not a great comfort that if the outside temperature is 97 which is not a far reach in summer, that they will be able to keep the gondola at a brisk 97 as well. There is a difference standing outdoors on a 97 degree day where you can find some shade and standing/sitting elbow to elbow with seven of your closest friends in a sunny glass capsule at the same temperature. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I think the only people who are going to be comfortable in the summer are people who tend to feel a little chilly most of the time anyway. I will stick to riding during the winter for now.

OK . . .it is not a great comfort that if the outside temperature is 97 which is not a far reach in summer, that they will be able to keep the gondola at a brisk 97 as well. There is a difference standing outdoors on a 97 degree day where you can find some shade and standing/sitting elbow to elbow with seven of your closest friends in a sunny glass capsule at the same temperature. I guess we’ll have to wait and see. I think the only people who are going to be comfortable in the summer are people who tend to feel a little chilly most of the time anyway. I will stick to riding during the winter for now.
The windows are going to be highly reflective so it'll be like sitting in the shade not out in the sun. Also you won't be elbow to elbow during the hottest parts of the day. The windows are also going to be near vertical, so they won't be getting much direct sun in the middle of the day, unlike a car windshield. Just 60 years ago people lived in AZ and FL with no AC.

The windows are going to be highly reflective so it'll be like sitting in the shade not out in the sun. Also you won't be elbow to elbow during the hottest parts of the day. The windows are also going to be near vertical, so they won't be getting much direct sun in the middle of the day, unlike a car windshield. Just 60 years ago people lived in AZ and FL with no AC.

… and besides all this, let's not forget that you won't be in these very long, maybe 5 to 7 minutes per leg.

True. I have never been to AZ, but here in Florida they survived with a lot of open windows for cross ventilation and a lot of ceiling fans to keep it moving. And it was still uncomfortable in summer. My grandparents lived in Florida before AC, and told me how awful it was. They actually moved to the upper Midwest to escape it.

As to how many people will be riding in the afternoon, that could depend a lot on the number of people in your travel party. I suppose we could split up if there’s no one else waiting, but most of the time the group wants to travel together. I do stand a better chance of a non crowded ride as a solo, again if no one else is waiting.

But to be honest we will have to wait and see once it starts running and the air temps start rising whether the ventilation they have is enough. I tend to feel overly warm most of the time, just as others feel overly cool a lot of the time. So what may be comfortable for others may not be comfortable for me. I am the person more likely to be running AC than heat in the winter. I can’t even remember the last time I ran the heat in the house . . .

I have nothing against gondolas in general, and I am looking forward to trying them out during cooler weather. But until they are running and we are getting actual feedback, I will pick non gondola resorts during warmer weather. Fortunately at Disney, that’s a viable option.

I personally will not be fond of or look forward to riding in a gondola. Not saying that I won't, but it wouldn't be my first choice due to a fear of heights. I am sure I will not be alone on this. I didn't even care for the ride in the lifts at Blizzard Beach, but I did enjoy the slides that it took me to.

I personally will not be fond of or look forward to riding in a gondola. Not saying that I won't, but it wouldn't be my first choice due to a fear of heights. I am sure I will not be alone on this. I didn't even care for the ride in the lifts at Blizzard Beach, but I did enjoy the slides that it took me to.
I think chairlifts are much more likely to bother people with mild fear of heights than an enclosed gondola.

here in Florida they survived with a lot of open windows for cross ventilation and a lot of ceiling fans to keep it moving. And it was still uncomfortable in summer.
Also why houses built 100 years ago in the South had 12’ ceilings and screened porches.

I still have flashbacks of scrunching down on the floor crying my eyes out on the Six Flags gondolas when I was a child. Dangling from a cable still not a pleasant thought for me.

I think chairlifts are much more likely to bother people with mild fear of heights than an enclosed gondola.
Maybe so, but I won't care for either one. But it doesn't mean I won't ride it though, just prefer other means of transport if available.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter