Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

They also were only running a fraction of what the user base will be. Swings both way. ;)

I think part of it though that we don't know what is causing the stops. Is it in preparaiton for normal use and they will have stoppage or is it testing atypical situation and in reality, unless something goes wrong, the expectation is no stops - just need to test for those extreme situations?

I think part of it though that we don't know what is causing the stops. Is it in preparaiton for normal use and they will have stoppage or is it testing atypical situation and in reality, unless something goes wrong, the expectation is no stops - just need to test for those extreme situations?
Oh, I agree it's too early to make any assessment of the situation or to draw any definitive conclusions. My only point is that on one of the first live streams, the car did a really neat "creeping" thing through Riviera (which looked almost near stop) and the CM mentioned a likely ECV thing down the line.

I think it's interesting that whenever concerns have been raised about the gondola, people are quick to shoot them down that this isn't Doppelmayr's first rodeo, and that Disney doesn't just do things without thinking through every possible scenario.

To the first point, this is their first time dealing with a major world-class theme park which come with its own set of very unique challenges. Not a lot of strollers, or ECVs on ski lifts (or any other major metropolitan area that Dopplemayr services); certainly not to the increasing degree that we see ECVs at WDW. I've never been concerned about safety in storms, but what has concerned me logistically, are the liability concerns of the Walt Disney Company, Inc.'s insurers, and to that end their lightening policy. I travel primarily in the summer/early fall times and have been kicked off enough friendship boats to know that depending on them is challenging for a good part of the year.

To the second point, I'm sure a lot of executives sat around and thought very carefully about how to leverage SWGE in terms of gate price increases, opening months ahead of schedule to increase visits, jacking up room rates, lean on brand recognition instead of good ol' marketing; my only point is that they are not infallible either.

If I were a betting man, I would guess the skyliner is going to be great. I'm skeptical of the projected travel times absent crowds and I'm wary of the lightening policy (not the actual bolts themselves). For now I'm squarely in the wait and see camp.

Left Hollywood Studios around 9:30 this morning. Planters still in front of entrance. I noticed that today, there were Security members standing in front of planters, as opposed to yesterday, cast members standing there.

I got to ride yesterday with a friend who works for WDW. I asked a Cast Member why the stops/slow downs and he said people having problems loading. Yikes it isn’t that hard😂😂

To the point of wheelchairs and ECV’s the Gondolas at ski resorts have people dealing with all their ski equipment as well as walking in ski boots (if you haven’t ever done it ..it can be a bit awkward).
So both have their challenges

I got to ride yesterday with a friend who works for WDW. I asked a Cast Member why the stops/slow downs and he said people having problems loading. Yikes it isn’t that hard😂😂
:rotfl2:
then, again, guests show at the MDE desk at MCO as if they don’t know that they are on vacation and spend 30+ minutes figuring out what is happening.

many AP holders show up at the AP-only turnstiles and don’t understand the concept of park entry.

Last edited:
We are in Aruba 55 and the walkway to the Riviera station opened up this morning. Last night, there was a fence there. This morning, it was magically gone. According to a CM I spoke to, it is still opening on the 29th. I’m still hoping it’ll be open tomorrow. If not, we’ll ride on Monday.

Having watched a number of the videos recorded during the cast previews, I’m confident there will be some sort of line while entering the Skyliner on many occasions. It keeps moving and seems to move quickly but lines have been consistent during previews and I’m guessing that’s only a fraction of the guests that will be riding on a normal basis.

Cannot wait to ride these!!!

We needed to get from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT yesterday afternoon to meet some friends for the afternoon. The trip over was hot and stuffy. I could barely breathe. We were crammed in on the bench with people we didn't know, and the bench itself was hard and very uncomfortable. We stopped three times during the trip and it took close to 40 minutes including our wait time.

We were on a Friendship boat.

We needed to get from Hollywood Studios to EPCOT yesterday afternoon to meet some friends for the afternoon. The trip over was hot and stuffy. I could barely breathe. We were crammed in on the bench with people we didn't know, and the bench itself was hard and very uncomfortable. We stopped three times during the trip and it took close to 40 minutes including our wait time.

Next time consider taking an air-conditioned bus. It’s about a 10 minute drive. :)

Last edited:

Good idea on doing the conditioning training. You’ll be well primed for future options.

Another option you’ll have over the friendship boat is walking. 20 minutes door to door; even shorter if you ever feel trapped and want to get off during one of those stoppages you mentioned.

LOL perfect!

I legitimately think I could beat one of those boats on foot. They’re so painfully slow and have so many stops. It’s nice that the skyliner resorts still have the option to bus. I wish the monorail hotels had a bus option to Epcot, and the Epcot resort area resorts had one to even just DHS.

LOL perfect!

I legitimately think I could beat one of those boats on foot. They’re so painfully slow and have so many stops. It’s nice that the skyliner resorts still have the option to bus. I wish the monorail hotels had a bus option to Epcot, and the Epcot resort area resorts had one to even just DHS.
I've "raced" one before. I was walking out of the IG as one was leaving the dock. I made it to security at HS as the boat was unloading. Now I was probably walking a tiny bit faster than normal because I wanted to win, but I wasn't going that fast. So for me, walking is faster and I find the walk very enjoyable. I'd pick the walk over the boat anytime, but I will probably pick the gondolas over walking some times because they're so darn cool haha.

Your time doesn't include the time you have to wait for a bus to arrive and load! Including that it can easily be at least 30 minutes or more.
Sure. Just reminding that poster of an air conditioned option since they complained that it was hot, stuffy and they could barely breathe.

Sure. Just reminding that poster of an air conditioned option since they complained that it was hot, stuffy and they could barely breathe.

I don’t think it was a real complaint. I think it was more a tongue in cheek post because so many people have voiced all those same concerns about the gondolas. They would be hot with no AC; they are worried about riding with strangers & how long each trip will take.

I don’t think it was a real complaint. I think it was more a tongue in cheek post because so many people have voiced all those same concerns about the gondolas. They would be hot with no AC; they are worried about riding with strangers & how long each trip will take.

Oh, I know.

But at the same time, there’s nothing wrong with a reminder that the bus is cool and relatively quick. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter