• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney Skyliner (Gondola Transportation System) Read Post 1 Now Open!

People keep talking AC and I'm more worried about DC. As in lightning. Will these be able to run during the standard daily thunderstorms. If they have to evacuate the entire system every time there is a rumble of thunder in the greater Orlando area that's going to be a bummer.

We don't know the exact policy yet but the expectation is that they wouldn't need to close for weather any more than any other transportation system.

We don't know the exact policy yet but the expectation is that they wouldn't need to close for weather any more than any other transportation system.
To elaborate on his post, the system can be made to be tolerant of lightning and to a certain extent wind. How enjoyable a trip it might be would be the bigger issue.

Up in the air? In a thunderstorm? Wind whipping? That sounds more fun than space mountain. I'd go just for that.
It's good for underwear sales as well.
In all seriousness they can be operated in a bunch of foul weather scenarios. The issue is more of a guest service one, the ride might be less pleasant to some in those weather conditions, but it could still run safely.

I really hope the gondalas open sooner than fall for 2 reasons.
1. We arrive at CBR June 30
2. I'd prefer the great ac debate not continue through may 2020.

1. I wish for your sake yes but think that’s pretty optimistic.
2. Oh yes!! SOOOO tired of AC, storms, # of people debates! Please let them end!!

It's good for underwear sales as well.
In all seriousness they can be operated in a bunch of foul weather scenarios. The issue is more of a guest service one, the ride might be less pleasant to some in those weather conditions, but it could still run safely.

Signal V in gondola cabin 133, 141, 23 etc. :stir:

The gondola system I went on in Hong Kong had different types of cars - some had glass floors and cost more ... they could add A/C to only some cars and have a fee to use those cars ;)

Ngong Ping I assume :) We were there one July and I certainly would have paid extra for air conditioning! Beautiful though

Bioreconstruct posted some new pics...looks like 35 cabins in the storage area and they have numbers on top...Not sure if it matters but one has 317 on top. I wonder if they will start at 1. That seems like a lot of cabins.

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct/status/1088958495381176320

Judging from the size of that parking/holding area it looks to be designed to hold between 350 and 400 gondolas. When you consider the total length of the multiple lines that isn't so surprising. I have seen numbers saying 6 miles of cable (3 miles two directions) 350 cars on 6 miles of cable would be one every 100 feet plus additional groupings in the station. I have no idea if that is a reasonable spacing, but it sounds good to me.

EDIT: but of course Ryan and his information would be much accurate than my blind guess and he just said 200 cabins.

LOL, Yeah, I've picked up on just how many negatives these have brought out. Cracks me up when some of it is based on pure guesses rather than facts. I am thinking that some of these folks would have enjoyed the Chicken Little meet and greet we passed at MK Sunday.
It also doesn't help that the podcast team keeps going on about that all the time too. People don't seem to understand that AC has to be powered and it isn't something that can be powered by slapping on a couple of solar panels on the roof. Also, the Ony gondola that has AC is the one in London and it reportedly doesn't work all the time.

Judging from the size of that parking/holding area it looks to be designed to hold between 350 and 400 gondolas. When you consider the total length of the multiple lines that isn't so surprising. I have seen numbers saying 6 miles of cable (3 miles two directions) 350 cars on 6 miles of cable would be one every 100 feet plus additional groupings in the station. I have no idea if that is a reasonable spacing, but it sounds good to me.

EDIT: but of course Ryan and his information would be much accurate than my blind guess and he just said 200 cabins.
I did some calculations up thread for releasing a cabin every 10 seconds and I think it was a spacing of 161 feet. So that is right at 200 cabins, then about 10 in each station gets you to about 270 total.

Last edited:
It also doesn't help that the podcast team keeps going on about that all the time too. People don't seem to understand that AC has to be powered and it isn't something that can be powered by slapping on a couple of solar panels on the roof. Also, the Ony gondola that has AC is the one in London and it reportedly doesn't work all the time.
People also don't understand people used to live without AC in their cars and that people spend 10+ hours a day it in the sun in the theme parks. Shade makes a huge difference. The window tinting plus forced ventilation will keep these from getting much above ambient. So it'll be similar to standing in the shade with a little wind. If you can't handle that, you probably shouldn't be in Florida in the summer.

People also don't understand people used to live without AC in their cars and that people spend 10+ hours a day it in the sun in the theme parks.

What people in the past with no AC?

They're savages! Savages!
Barely even human
Savages! Savages!
Drive them from our shore!
They're not like you and me
Which means they must be evil
We must sound the drums of war!

"I'm sure Disney knows what they are doing" is not enough reason to ignore the obvious:
True, but we are in a situation where Disney knows the whole story and no one else does. They've spent the time to investigate every aspect of their plans in a way that none of us here have.

a gondola without AC is hot in the summer. Look at the gondola system in Spokane, Washington: it's website clearly states that when the temperature gets up, they shut the system down until "the cabins cool off".
You're drawing an equivalency between a fifteen minute ride in Spokane and a two minute ride between one station and the next at WDW. You're also drawing an equivalency between a gondola in Spokane that if stuck requires a major rescue operation given the terrain it traverses and a gondola at WDW where rescue can be effected to any stuck gondola by a standard fire department turntable ladder truck which can access practically every yard of the gondola path from an access road cleared underneath.

That way, at least you can guarantee yourself a refurbished room by booking preferred.
Their top priority is spending available money wisely, not ensuring guests have specific guarantees. One of the most critical skills a business needs to have within its management is the ability to continually respond to changing situations, adapting, and moving forward, without attachment to whatever plans they decided on earlier.

Why are they so careful to not talk about it?
Disney, like all companies, work hard to ensure all their promotional materials are upbeat, and shine a positive light on their offerings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter