Disney to extend 60 day FP booking to non Disney hotels

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the old days, they didn't hold you to the FP window. You couldn't go before the window opened, but you could go at anytime after it closed. So, people could grab two in the morning, but not use them. Then when those expired, grab two more. Now they have 4. Still, they don't use them. The next two expire, they grab 2 more. Now they have 6...they could do this a good part of the day and then spend all evening using them. Disney let them do it, even though they didn't have to honor them since the windows were technically closed. We never did this. Who'd want to just spend they're morning running around the park getting FPs and not using them? Not me LOL.

Man. I can't remember this but doesn't mean I didn't know it then. It seems like we had "strategies." Lol. Too long ago.

What dollar value do people put on 60 day FP+? A lot of people have been talking about how much money they will now save by going offsite. If a 60 day FP+ lost is the factor to go off site, then people are valuing the benefit at $100-$300 per night. The number of people valuing a 60 day FP+ that high is very low; therefore, this will likely have a minimal net effect on bookings.

Also, keep in mind that extending benefits to other hotels tightens the gap between Disney hotel and off site pricing, ultimately making Disney hotels more attractive to some people. Again, the net effect is likely minimal.

Ultimately, the people hurt most by the policy are those that will stay in a Disney hotel regardless of benefits. Disney is taking advantage of those people by taking the cherries on top and distributing to others Robin Hood-esque.

Couldn't they at least just offer it to the top tier AP's?
They could, but have no reason to. They have no more profit to make off the APs, unlike the money they get from their resorts & from good neighbor resorts.

And really, APs already are getting a deal on ticket prices.

Last edited:
I've only read the first page but I'll say this: I don't like it one bit. The 60-day FP+ window is a large part of the reason as to why I moved our stays back to onsite after taking years off and staying at the Sheraton Vistana. There, I paid right around $1,100 for 9 nights in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa. At BLT, I'm paying that (or more) per night for the same accommodation. If this new development makes FP+ harder to get (than they already are) when my next 60-day window opens (April for June), I won't hesitate to return to the Vistana. It's a lovely, quiet property and only a few minutes to WDW.

So I have to ask this... (and maybe I missed it in a previous post, so if I did, excuse me for that and I'll have to go back and re-read.)

How will they know if you are staying at a hotel in Disney Springs to allow you to book FP 60 days out? During our upcoming trip (upcoming as in next year) we will be staying part of the time at AKL and the rest of the time at the DoubleTree in Disney Springs. I booked the DoubleTree directly with the hotel and not through any website.

I know by our family staying on site, we can book 60 days out already, this actually comes into play as my brother will be joining us about a week after we arrive and he will be staying at the DT the entire time (No ALK for him) How will he book his FP if he booked directly with the hotel.

~D

Disney already has an essentially unlimited FP system, which is the VIP tour. This is not front of the line access, but unlimited FP. We have done this VIP tour several times, and literally rode SDMT 6 times in a row one day when it was the family's favorite ride (plus a bunch of other rides at all 4 parks). It is really, really expensive compared to other FOTL passes like Universal, I think. It does depend on how many people are in your VIP group (up to 10), as to how the price gets divided per person, so the cost can be brought down somewhat (though then you have to agree on what rides to do since the VIP guide can only be in one place at a time, getting you on a ride, for the most part). Most VIP groups I see are 4-6 people (we are 6), so if it is $4000 for 8 hours (more than that during holidays, plus tip; more if you go over 8 hours and want to do the "full day" of VIP like Universal's pass would give you), then that is $666 per person, PLUS theme park admission (with Parkhopper in our case, though you could just do one park, I suppose). Before tip and not at high season. If WDW rolls out a true unlimited FP, I think it will have to be basically prohibitively expensive to make it worth it (if the cost is too low, "everyone" will get it, and FP lines become SB lines). Based on the pricing of the VIP, you can see where they think the price value is, per person.

I actually talked to our VIP guide about this in March when we were there, and she said she hopes they never truly monetize FPs because she will lose her wonderful cushy fun job! While I get her point, WDW will eventually decide it is cheaper to sell me the unlimited FPs directly and not have to pay a person (and their benefits) to walk around with me to use the FPs. While the inside information about the parks that the guides offer is wonderful, the reality is people are paying $4000-$5000/day (plus park tickets) to get FPs and VIP seating at shows/parades/fireworks, etc. And that "access" can be added by WDW to my MB for $0 to WDW.

Glad we did our VIP tour last week at Disney world as we were only charged 425.00 per hour though I know during Holiday season it can be higher.

Not everyone staying at the onsite resorts are going to the parks. Some trying to book onsite who want to go to the parks simply can't because onsite is already booked up or it's extremely tight if there's conventions going on. During our stay onsite we saw every store manager from ToysRus there.

Ok, so those people that "stacked" the old FP were actually working outside the rules! You must have been on Santa's naughty list that year! :rolleyes:
So we won't get into the discussion of how to use FP by breaking the rules... that's not allowed here.

Ok, so those people that "stacked" the old FP were actually working outside the rules! You must have been on Santa's naughty list that year! :rolleyes:
So we won't get into the discussion of how to use FP by breaking the rules... that's not allowed here.
Er, just to clarify:

There's no need to be worried on that front! :)

Back in the days of FP-, there were daily debates on the subject (of using FP outside the time window). Most DISers got pretty tired of seeing those threads, to be frank.

Second, No. Your accusation is incorrect, as I already clarified yesterday in this thread.

Using paper FP meant having a 'stack' of them.

I really do believe that Disney will throw something at on-site guests. I saw during the closing from Irma that Disney makes $30 million dollars a day from the parks. No matter how strong the urge to make money I cannot see them killing the goose that laid the golden egg. A friend of mine is hoping the eliminate the Tier system for on-site guests (Epcot is his family's favorite).

Since everyone else is speculating on this, my thought is they may extend to Good Neighbor Hotels but only if you book through Disney Travel. Although you can still presently book these hotels that way, most people are only booking Disney resorts through Disney with the advent of easy internet booking through third party sites and directly through the hotels. Back in the day, Disney Travel Company used to book quite a few rooms at DGN hotels, this would be a good way to drive that business back to them and collect commisions; also would offer an alternative for them to sell if a particular class of onsite resorts is sold out for certain dates and the traveler isn't flexible when it comes to dates.

I've heard many people prefer DL's system to WDW's method of handling FPs - and I've made a comment or two about wishing that WDW would allow management/access of everything via phone in addition to MagicBand. Sadly, I've been reminded why that won't happen (at least not anytime soon). Among other reasons:

1) Disney isn't about to throw the towel in on the $1.5B it spent on MyMagic at WDW (which includes the FP+ and MagicBand features)
2) DL is more of a locals park (and has a greater percentage of APs) than WDW, which is more of an international destination - i.e., the planning options of advance FP+ become more important when WDW has many faraway domestic and foreign guests trying to plan their trips among 4 different parks and aren't interested in rolling the dice to see what FPs they can get the day they arrive after spending $$$ to get there
3) DL has approximately the same number of rides amongst two parks (separated by a 100-yard plaza) as WDW has spread amongst 4 parks that aren't nearly as easy to travel between
4) Unlike WDW, DL doesn't support a massive resort complex that would benefit from an advance FP system as a perk
5) WDW's FP system operates on the idea of "one-park-per-day" and 3 FP initial limit (including tiering for parks with fewer rides) - which doesn't work at DL where there are two parks in close proximity.

Not a vote in favor of one system or the other - just that it appears that the different FP+ systems depend on how the parks are set up and operated. I don't think either system works nearly as well if implemented at the other park.
You missed the biggest difference. The DLR system is a paid system. $10/day per person as an "introductory" rate.

I think one of the reasons it is getting good reviews is because not everyone is using it. As usage skyrockets (especially when SWL opens) that will bring its own availability issues. I like the system as it exists now. I just don't think it can (or will) continue that way for long.

You missed the biggest difference. The DLR system is a paid system. $10/day per person as an "introductory" rate.

I think one of the reasons it is getting good reviews is because not everyone is using it. As usage skyrockets (especially when SWL opens) that will bring its own availability issues. I like the system as it exists now. I just don't think it can (or will) continue that way for long.

True about the introductory rate. Weren't dessert parties around $25 each when they were introduced?

So except for Magical Express I think that there is no reason to go crazy and calling and calling and watching for discounts, these hotels are great for the price and are a great option than the value resorts.

Just yesterday I was considering switching to one of these good neighbor resorts. The only reasons I was nearly deciding against it was because of the fast pass situation and transportation to the parks. I haven't looked into the transportation piece yet but now I'm going to.

True about the introductory rate. Weren't dessert parties around $25 each when they were introduced?
I believe so. But even those weren't labeled as "introductory prices". The original DLR MaxPass announcement referred to the "introductory rate" of $10/person/day.

I miss the paper FP system. Especially when they didn't enforce the return window! That was great we used to stack up a fistfull of FPs!
Those were some great days. We've been enjoying the paper FP system at DLR ever since FP+ went live. Actually looking forward to trying MaxPass next month.

I could see them making new attractions from here on out “resort exclusive” meaning only onsite guests could book Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy, at least in the opening year.
I can't. That's what EMH is supposedly for. Even if EMH is just as slammed as regular hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter