Disney VISA...Is it worth it.

I use my Disney Visa for anything and everything for the sole purpose of using the reward dollars to pay my yearly DVC maintenance fees. It's so easy, just transfer the dollars to a rewards card and call Member Services...they handle everything from that point on. It makes me feel like my DVC membership is an even better investment. :goodvibes

JohnNJ said:
I don't get the question. Is it worth it? The card is free and they give you money for using it. :confused3

Some cards like this start charging interest from the instant you purchase or have annual fees, which make the "pay out" much much less overall.

With the Disney Visa, if you pay it off on time (monthly), there is no interest. There is also no annual fee to deal with. The rates are pretty good if you ever got in a pinch and HAD to let a balance float for a month or two (I think mine is around 9%) and its easy as pie to get the your reward dollars to spend. Anywhere at WDW that takes VISA will take the rewards cards. You can also pay for things like annual passes and I THINK your annual maintenance fees.

We charge EVERYTHING on this card, several bills are even directly paid (like sat. tv and cell phones) and I pay it off every month. So far, we have spent over $400 in reward dollars and it is always fun to have a meal or two on VISA when we go to the world. You can also get multiple cards if you wish and once you have the cards in your possession, its easy to transfer points to them online at any time. So, each of our children gets one to "spend" on what they wish when we are at WDW as well and it keeps me from having to keep up with their money. Every time you use it, it prints out on the bottom how much is left, so they are learning about handling money as well!

I think its a GREAT program if you use it correctly. As RAyjay pointed out, it can be dangerous and a bad financial decision if you don't pay it off, but I have gotten in the habit of transfering $$$$ to it as soon as I make a purchase - i.e. I go and buy new tires. Instead of using my debit card, I put it on my Disney VISA and then when I get to work, I use the online billpay to go ahead and transfer the money to Chase. Sounds time consumming I am sure, but it keeps me from forgetting about a big purchase and not having enough money to pay the balance off competely at the end of the month.

Also - I got an UBER COOL Mickey watch for Mother's Day for $30 (including tax and shipping) and they have more Mickey watches available right now....which I love ...again for $30 total - special deal for Disney Visa holders. Little things like that! :banana: Works for me!

With all the freebies that are being offered, it may be a good card even if you just carry it with you to WDW and DL.

At DL, you get a free stroller rental and free character meet 'n greet with photo. I understand that if you have 2 cards, that means 2 free photos. Also if you can pay it off each month, there is 10% off purchases of $50 or more in the park or at World of Disney, 20% off of tours, and 10% off at some restaurants (some of which are not available just for being a DVC or AAA member).

At WDW, there is a free character meet 'n greet and photo. Also, there are some discounts that can make sense if you pay it off when your receve the bill.

In less than 2 months, we have already saved $22 (on a discounted tour) and that is before we get our bonus $50 reward and the additional $1 reward earned with our charges.

Of course, applying for and receiving another credit card --even if you never use it -- may impact your credit rating.

Good luck -- Suzanne

I just got my card about a month, maybe month and a half ago. We have used it for and will continue to use it for major purchases (We put the down payment for my new vehicle on it.), and we already have about $50 in rewards. We also pay ours off. It makes sense for us because we will be going to Disney twice a year now that we have joined DVC...and while not being a deciding factor, I love that it has the castle on it. :earsboy:

I love my Disney Visa. Once and a while there is a resort offer for cardmembers so I think it is valuable just for that. I actually use it daily. I charge everything and pay my bill in full every month. They haven't gotten a dime out of me in interest, and this year I had over $300 in rewards! I used it to pay for 3 nights at Port-Orleans French Quarter. That "freebie" stay is saving me a lot of points, so I am thrilled.

I have to be careful not to overspend each month. It is so easy to just pull out that card... Everything regarding your account is available online. I check my balance a few times a month to make sure my spending is within my budget, and I have done fine.

DH and I do like Caskbill - well, at least DH does. I refuse to give up my Disney card, plus I have a lot of things auto-charge to it, like our Dish, Starband, propane gas, electric, Sunday paper (!), etc. Since I am paying for those things anyway, I may as well get something back. But DH has his GM card and charges it until it maxes out.

I also charge all groceries, all restaurant (but leave the tip in cash) trips, ... geez, I can leave for a business trip with $20 in my purse and feel safe because I just don't use cash at all! (As long as I know I'm not going to have to take a taxi...) I also love the on-line payment - I don't pay each time I charge (that would wear me out), but I do make incremental payments and then make sure I have the final full payment setup for at least 2 days before it's due (so I can check it got there OK).

Right now we have $353 for our Sept cruise, and that's after I wiped it out in January paying towards our DVC annual dues (that's the part I REALLY LOVE - FREE DUES!!!!). Put that with a gas card from MyPoints and about $70 from NFO Survey and we shouldn't have to come up with much at all to pay for our trip! (OK, OK, the $10 gas card will only give us 3 gallons :earseek: , but how many gallons does it take to drive around WDW, anyway?)

I do the same as Caskbill and bbowers. I use the GM card as my primary credit card, and my Disney Visa as a secondary one. I always pay in full every month.

I've had the Disney Visa for less than a year. About $75 earned so far, not counting the signup dollars. Not bad for FREE MONEY! :banana:

I recommend getting the card if, for nothing else, the offers that you get from time to time. However, there are MUCH better rewards cards out there. Citibank has a card that gives you 5% cash reward for all grocery, gas, and pharmacy purchases. I have a Fidelity card through MBNA that direct deposits 2% of all purchases into my kids' 529b college savings account. Those are the cards that I use the most.

Disney Visa gave me 2% rewards for all of my purchases from 6/1/04 - 6/30/05 so I did take advantage of this and we have racked up about $600 for our trip which begins ...... let's see ..... uhmmm...... TOMORROW :earseek:

But overall I'd say it's nice to have but you can find a better rewards card very easily. I also agree with the previous posters that these cards are only good deals if you pay off the card each and every month.

We have had our card from "DAY ONE" and so far we have been able to buy souvieners the first year and this year we were able to have Dinner for 4 at Alfredo's and we also renewed one of our Annual Passes with it. Now we are saving up for Dec's trip. We get our points buy using it for groceries, gas, dinners, everyday shopping. We the bill comes we pay off the due balance and we have not paid any finance charges. It is the only charge card that we have so it gets used for anything and everything that we can. Mind you we keep an eye on our budget so we know how much we owe at all times so that we do not go "OVER" budget.
Anytime we think should we use the card we think, hum, rewards dollars.
Oh we even used it to purchase my mom's car. She was going to purchase it cash and we said give us the cash and we will put it on our card. She agreed and when the bill came it we paid it off. MORE POINTS!!! Mind you it was only an AVEO (small inexpensive car) but more points!!

We've also had ours from "Day One". Use it for everything, pay it off each month. We're using the reward dollars to buy APs for DH and me so we can take 2 trips next year since we had banked points last year (had a baby instead of going on vacation). The best part is even the hospital took the Visa so we got points for DS! ;)

I think the interest rate is rather high, so this probably wouldn't be a good card if you carry a balance, but use it instead of a debit card and pay every month and it's a good deal.

I've had the card since day 1. I used it once in awhile, until we booked a Disney Cruise for next year. I've been using it quite a bit, since I want to use our dollars for onboard credit. We booked our cruise with it, and if you pay it off with the DCC you get $50 onboard credit. We always pay the card off in full each month, so there's no extra charges. We were just in DL & DCA. From now til the end of the year you get a 10% discount on any purchases of $50 or more throughout both parks & the World of Disney in Downtown disney. We also got a 10% discount at one of the FF restaurants. So we saved a bit on our trip. We just got an e-mail on some of the deals they are offering with the card in WDW. To me - a free card - and some free stuff too. Can't beat it!

I love our Disney Visa. We've had it since Day one, and have never paid interest. We use it for everything, including some of our regular bills, and always pay it in full. Last June when we went to WDW, I think I had about $250 spend. Then when I went in January, the first five days of my trip, I didnt have to pay for any WDW meals because the card covered it all.

My upcoming January trip, I expect to have enough that all of my meals are taken care of. I also like the discounts they give.

I had one other card that paid rewards and made it sound wonderful-1 point for every dollar spent. But when it came time to cash in the "points" I realized it took 100 points to equal $1, so same %%.

I put everything on my card and pay it off each month. I just transferred 433 reward points for our trip next month. Reading all of these posts got me thinking. Can I put the monthly dues on the card? :confused: Right now it is taken directly out of my checking account each month. Hmmmm... I'm also wondering if I can put my mortgage payment on it.

I am a "charter member". I never used my rewards but will be going to WDW with close to $400 in reward points to use for meals/souvenirs. I too, charge a lot with it, and do my darndest to make sure I don't have a balance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter