Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

But I have this funny feeling all we’ll hear from the governor is that discussions are one of the following: “ongoing” “very close” “progressing well” “still have some issues” “almost there” or “dynamically closer”

you missed one... we will update you soon on how the plans are progressing

If we are all honest Theme Parks are pretty low on the priority list.

It's a matter of perspective I guess.

I see playing and attending NFL games is a priority to others. So why can't theme parks be a priority? If an NFL game, a) can be played and b) have 17k fans in attendance then I don't think theme parks are out of the question.

The issue is safety. The question for everything should be, can it be done safely? According to the data out of WDW and Universal, theme parks can be opened safely. Unless COVID behaves differently in different states. People are going to risk contracting COVID for different things. I stopped at a Costco to use the restroom last weekend and it was packed.

I see playing and attending NFL games is a priority to others. So why can't theme parks be a priority? If an NFL game, a) can be played and b) have 17k fans in attendance then I don't think theme parks are out of the question.

The issue is safety. The question for everything should be, can it be done safely? According to the data out of WDW and Universal, theme parks can be opened safely. Unless COVID behaves differently in different states. People are going to risk contracting COVID for different things. I stopped at a Costco to use the restroom last weekend and it was packed.
No NFL games in CA.

(I too have found myself stoping at Costco’s to use the restroom 😆 CA toad trips are not as fun when you have to map out the State Rest Stops and Costco’s...)

I completely agree with this perspective. I mean, malls can reopen. How are they any more essential than a theme park? They are not. ALL that kind of shopping can be done online. All of it. There is nothing unique to malls that cannot be gotten via other means. It's an entertainment space. People go there for something to do.

The malls also aren't doing temperature screenings as far as I know. I mean, Downtown Disney is FAR more strict on safety protocols than any other outdoor mall in OC right now. None require masks while outside. None have a temperature screening. None have employees walking around reminding people of the social distancing and mask rules.

Disney has already proven that they have a very broad safety plan and they have been adhering to it since DtD opened months ago. It's time to let them open the parks.

Last edited:
I completely agree with this perspective. I mean, malls can reopen. How are they any more essential than a theme park? They are not. ALL that kind of shopping can be done online. All of it. There is nothing unique to malls that cannot be gotten via other means. It's an entertainment space. People go there for something to do.

The malls also aren't doing temperature screenings as far as I know. I mean, Downtown Disney is FAR more strict on safety protocols than any other outdoor mall in OC right now. None require masks while outside. None have a temperature screening. None have employees walking around reminding people of the rules.

Disney has already proven that they have a very broad safety plan and they have been adhering to it since DtD opened months ago. It's time to let them open the parks.
This is why I feel comfortable going there. And have gone multiple times. The local mall, while has good compliance, I still see bad mask-wearing habits and lack of enforcement. DTD takes all
of their rules seriously.

Also, movie theaters have reopened in OC.

If you can say that a group of people can spend 2 continuous hours together in an enclosed indoor space, there's no way you can say indoor theme park rides are unsafe.
I second this. My county (Placer) is the same as OC: went to see Tenet this Tuesday and thought to myself: you’re telling me I can’t sit on Pirate’s or guardians or little mermaid or Indiana, etc., but I can sit here and watch a two and a half hour movie in the same space?!

I second this. My county (Placer) is the same as OC: went to see Tenet this Tuesday and thought to myself: you’re telling me I can’t sit on Pirate’s or guardians or little mermaid or Indiana, etc., but I can sit here and watch a two and a half hour movie in the same space?!

Exactly! And you are continuously moving through those spaces, and they are FAR better ventilated than a movie theater. Almost all of Disneyland's queues are outdoors and they have shown how they can modify the indoor portions of them in WDW. I can see DL simply holding the majority of every queue outside and then making the indoor portion similar to FP, where they control how many people go through in order to keep it moving and get people boarded quickly, kind of how they do the Space Mountain FP line.

I mean, let's look at which rides actually even HAVE indoor queues, and for argument, let's only count the ones where the indoor portion is more than 50% of the queue.

Rise of the Resistance
(Maybe) Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run
(Maybe) Splash Mtn
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout
Indiana Jones
(Maybe) Monsters Inc
Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin
Soarin
Space Mountain
Star Tours

That's it. The maybes have a partial indoor portion but I don't think it's at least 50%. In any case, every one of those rides listed above has ample outdoor queue as well, and it would be very easy to simply only use the outdoor portion to hold people and let them quickly pass through the indoor portion without stopping.

Exactly! And you are continuously moving through those spaces, and they are FAR better ventilated than a movie theater. Almost all of Disneyland's queues are outdoors and they have shown how they can modify the indoor portions of them in WDW. I can see DL simply holding the majority of every queue outside and then making the indoor portion similar to FP, where they control how many people go through in order to keep it moving and get people boarded quickly, kind of how they do the Space Mountain FP line.

I mean, let's look at which rides actually even HAVE indoor queues, and for argument, let's only count the ones where the indoor portion is more than 50% of the queue.

Rise of the Resistance
(Maybe) Millenium Falcon Smugglers Run
(Maybe) Splash Mtn
Guardians of the Galaxy Mission Breakout
Indiana Jones
(Maybe) Monsters Inc
Roger Rabbit Car Toon Spin
Soarin
Space Mountain
Star Tours

That's it. The maybes have a partial indoor portion but I don't think it's at least 50%. In any case, every one of those rides listed above has ample outdoor queue as well, and it would be very easy to simply only use the outdoor portion to hold people and let them quickly pass through the indoor portion without stopping.
I wish we could gather all of this information and send it to Newsom. At this point there must be a reason he is dragging this out. If he feels like it’s an “optics” issue, then just say so, but making it seem like it’s such a difficult thing to figure out as if each theme park hasn’t been tripping over themselves with plans, data, graphs, etc. I still think that there are guidelines in mind/a draft of guidelines, but that all of the “talking” is a bunch of politics and optics discussions on the when’s and how’s.

I wish we could gather all of this information and send it to Newsom. At this point there must be a reason he is dragging this out. If he feels like it’s an “optics” issue, then just say so, but making it seem like it’s such a difficult thing to figure out as if each theme park hasn’t been tripping over themselves with plans, data, graphs, etc. I still think that there are guidelines in mind/a draft of guidelines, but that all of the “talking” is a bunch of politics and optics discussions on the when’s and how’s.
I have been wondering the same thing all along. Yeah theme parks aren't "important", but they are important to a lot of people in regards to employment and revenue. Plus doesn't Disney have a health director of some sort to help with all of this? So that means they are using science and data (something Newsom says all the time) seriously when it comes to making their plans to reopen.

Here in my country, the Netherlands, the gyms, and some other businesses (red light district ;-) ) reopened last. There were also questions, if themeparks and stores and other public places can open, then why not we?
The reply from the government was that they wanted to slow down the spread of the virus by not reopening everything at once.

What those businesses did, when they were allowed to reopen was to open at midnight at 00:01. Would be fun when Disneyland reopens to do a reopening at midnight. :)

If we are all honest Theme Parks are pretty low on the priority list.
I would argue the contrary. Disneyland is a critical and significant source of tax revenue for the State of California and the city of Anaheim in particular. Not to mention the thousands of jobs that it provides for its surrounding community. Theme parks should be and are a much higher priority than many would think, for the economic factors alone.

I honestly don't understand what the issue is. I wish he would just be transparent about his hesitation here. If it is a fear of a sudden spike after reopening, say so. If it is an optics issue ("I think we need to open schools in the majority of the state before we reopen theme parks"), say that! If it's "I don't want to encourage people to let their guards down", SAY SO.

Why is it so hard to just be honest with the public on this issue? I also wonder why DISNEY isn't saying anything besides "we are ready to open." Why aren't they pushing harder? Why aren't they saying what is preventing them from reopening?

I think all of us would be fine with this if there was a SOLID reason for the delay. Right now it seems like some huge secret and that is just odd for a state that relies so heavily on this industry.

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/a...rs-accuse-park-of-COVID-cover-up-15550412.php

saw this article on wednesday..idk if there is some union/employee issues + Newsom's decisions that are triggering the delays. it's just not hopeful news

Nah. This is just one lady claiming this from her knowledge of some texts shared by the maintenance crew. It seems like she is trying to make this a thing, while it's really nothing earth shattering. These employees have no public facing roles and mostly work third shift. Of course there will be cases among the employees. It is to be expected.

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/a...rs-accuse-park-of-COVID-cover-up-15550412.php

saw this article on wednesday..idk if there is some union/employee issues + Newsom's decisions that are triggering the delays. it's just not hopeful news
Yep. Unions could be a problem. But that article... *eyeroll* a quote “Questionable safety practices include a lack of on-site testing, unregulated flow of visitors and a policy discouraging employees from 'ruffling feathers' of maskless patrons. And with no on-site testing, employees claim that unreasonable barriers like long lines and high costs could increase infections.”

Reality
-its not a questionable safety practice to not have on-site testing (personally I will raise hell if they do right now. CA Health department is still prioritizing tests and requiring screening before administering one due to testing shortages.)
-unregulated flow of visitors is literally a lie
-discouraging employees from “ruffling feathers” of maskless patrons is also literally a lie

It’s clickbait. Don’t waste your time.

When I say Theme Parks are low on the priority I mean AS A CONSUMER. I think we (hopefully) can all agree certain sectors are more essential than others. Of course they are important for those who depend on them for their livelihood which I know expands far beyond just those who are employees of that theme park but to area hotels and restaurants. But I think making sure this virus doesn’t continue to run rampant (which closing businesses again has helped) is more important than being able to go to Disneyland, to the movies, the gym, to see your favorite team play a game, etc.

When I say Theme Parks are low on the priority I mean AS A CONSUMER. I think we (hopefully) can all agree certain sectors are more essential than others. Of course they are important for those who depend on them for their livelihood which I know expands far beyond just those who are employees of that theme park but to area hotels and restaurants. But I think making sure this virus doesn’t continue to run rampant (which closing businesses again has helped) is more important than being able to go to Disneyland, to the movies, the gym, to see your favorite team play a game, etc.
Fair, but if those things can be done safely, why not? WDW has been open almost 2 months, through the peak of cases in FL, and there was no spread there attributed to the parks. DL/DCA as well as UA, Legoland, and Sea World have proven they can be open safely. Why not let them?

Fair, but if those things can be done safely, why not? WDW has been open almost 2 months, through the peak of cases in FL, and there was no spread there attributed to the parks. DL/DCA as well as UA, Legoland, and Sea World have proven they can be open safely. Why not let them?
That’s not for me to decide.

I personally do not think sitting a movie theater of presumably unmasked popcorn munching people is safe. Actually I do not feel any place where people will be unmasked is safe, including gyms and indoor dining. I have said before that I do think Disney could open the parks relatively safely based on how they seem to be handling DTD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter