Disneyland Reopening Speculation Superthread

I got an email reply this afternoon to this. Here's what the email said:

"Thank you for contacting the Disneyland Resort in California!

This is a truly unprecedented time for all of us, and we want to thank you for your patience as we work through the many details related to the temporary closure of the theme parks.

Unfortunately, we're unable to assist with your request or questions using our email service. We recommend that you place a call to our Guest Information & Ticket Sales team. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

So that a cast member can help you personally with your request and answer any additional questions that you may have in real-time, we recommend that you place a call to our Ticket Sale team. Our Ticket Sales team can be reached at 1 (714) 781-4636 any day of the week, from 7 am until 9 pm/PST. To try and avoid long wait times, I would suggest calling as soon as we open over the weekends. We usually do not have higher wait times over the weekend than we do during the weekdays. I hope that helps. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

For the most up-to-date information regarding our policies on special event tickets, please visit the following link: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/travel-information/.

If you have already been assisted previously or have been able to speak with our Ticket Sales Department over the phone, there will be no need to contact them again unless you have additional questions or concerns.

Thank you again for your message, and have a magical day! "

Well, I did that. I called them at the number listed above and spoke to a Ticket Sales team CM. That person said the same thing that another CM stated last month when I called inquiring about the same thing, which was "We don't have any instructions yet on how to handle these tickets. You can go to the Ticket Booth when the park reopens and exchange the unused tickets for new ones."

So I replied to the CM's email that I got earlier today and said this:

"Good evening,

I appreciate your reply. I did as instructed in your email. However, the Ticketing cast member stated that there's nothing she can do right now, that she's been given no instructions or permissions on what to do with tickets like ours (which expire on 1/12/2021). I called Disneyland Ticketing about a month ago with the same question and received the same feedback, which was to go **in person** to the ticket booth in Anaheim once the Disneyland parks reopen.

As I mentioned in my original email below, this is not a viable option for us. So now at this point, Disneyland has received payment from me for a service which it cannot provide, nor is a reopening date in the foreseeable future for several months.

I would like to request a refund of my tickets. Confirmation number is _____.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Sincerely,
my name
my address"

I'm going to see how they reply to this. And then I'm going to call one last time after that in an attempt to verbally strong arm them to give me a refund. But when that doesn't work, I'm going to dispute the charges with our credit card company after that.

We cancelled yesterday for our arrival into SAN today. I’m so sad. CA stayed on NJs quarantine list and NJ is not allowing any test out options. This trip was both to visit family and to visit DLR for the first time. We have re booked to mid December so if we have to quarantine, and feel safe to travel, quarantining won’t affect the kids at school. So bummed. Is there ANY reason to book an on-site hotel as a placeholder???

I'm going to see how they reply to this. And then I'm going to call one last time after that in an attempt to verbally strong arm them to give me a refund. But when that doesn't work, I'm going to dispute the charges with our credit card company after that.
Good luck! I'm in a similar boat as we live in WI. No way I'm heading to CA to exchange in person and then not be able to get into the parks (assuming the reservation system works similar to WDW's). That is very much not ok.

Good luck! I'm in a similar boat as we live in WI. No way I'm heading to CA to exchange in person and then not be able to get into the parks (assuming the reservation system works similar to WDW's). That is very much not ok.

I’m also considering printing out a letter and snail mailing it to Josh D’Amaro. He’s really great with customer service. I want them to realize that there are a lot of people in the same boat that I am and they need to come up with a better solution.

Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you asked to speak with a lead during these phone calls? The CM may try to dissuade you, but if you calmly insist that you wish to speak with a lead, that might help. The front line CM probably can't do more than read the official script to you, but a lead/supervisor should be able to give you your refund. Not that I want to send you back to the phone lines, but it might be worth trying just to see if it works. Whatever option you choose, here's hoping that you get a quick resolution to your problem.

I’m also considering printing out a letter and snail mailing it to Josh D’Amaro. He’s really great with customer service. I want them to realize that there are a lot of people in the same boat that I am and they need to come up with a better solution.
I totally get it - this is really frustrating. Take a second and breathe though; this is Disney we are talking about. We don't know when the park will re-open but there is a slim-to-none chance it will be before your tickets expire. They know this and they are not about to stick you with tickets you can't use ESPECIALLY if they are not even open. My advice; if you need the money now, dispute with your CC. If not, consider the ticket to be a gift card for now and wait until the park does open. I would be stunned if they don't honor the full value of your tickets in some way.

I have a Premier AP. It originally expired back in May, and disappeared for a while. I noticed in my WDW app that it appeared again when they extended expiration dates. It is now showing an expiration date of 11/27. I was checking on it to see if it's continued to be extended with the ongoing DL closures, but the date has shown 11/27 since September.

On a whim, I went into my DL app, and my Premier AP isn't appearing there. I tried to add it back in and received an error message saying "The Annual Passport that you are trying to link is no longer valid."

Should I be concerned that I won't get the extension I should be getting for this AP going forward? Has anyone else had this happen?

Part of my concern is that I had bought an AP renewal (downgrading to a WDW Platinum Pass as I don't expect to be going out to CA again until 2022), and if they don't extend expiration dates of existing passes until DL opens, how will this work for me, since I should get the extra time given my current pass is a Premier, but if it expires on 11/27 and then renews as a WDW Platinum on 11/28, what happens?

I have a Premier AP. It originally expired back in May, and disappeared for a while. I noticed in my WDW app that it appeared again when they extended expiration dates. It is now showing an expiration date of 11/27. I was checking on it to see if it's continued to be extended with the ongoing DL closures, but the date has shown 11/27 since September.

On a whim, I went into my DL app, and my Premier AP isn't appearing there. I tried to add it back in and received an error message saying "The Annual Passport that you are trying to link is no longer valid."

Should I be concerned that I won't get the extension I should be getting for this AP going forward? Has anyone else had this happen?

Part of my concern is that I had bought an AP renewal (downgrading to a WDW Platinum Pass as I don't expect to be going out to CA again until 2022), and if they don't extend expiration dates of existing passes until DL opens, how will this work for me, since I should get the extra time given my current pass is a Premier, but if it expires on 11/27 and then renews as a WDW Platinum on 11/28, what happens?

It will extend to have the end dates match. My Premier pass "expired" about 2 weeks into the closure, so when the park re-opened, I got the days extended to 7/23 plus the extra month to 8/23. Each month, it extends another month. Right now, it shows valid until 11/23 in the WDW app (disappeared in the DL app and probably will not show back up until the parks have an opening date), and I expect in the next week or 2 that it will extend again to 12/23. I stopped getting the emails long ago (since it is technically should be expired), but that is what I have been told and what I have been seeing. But as I understand it, they keep extending them because of the problem you stated and to ensure that the passes continue to expire at the same time.

I totally get it - this is really frustrating. Take a second and breathe though; this is Disney we are talking about. We don't know when the park will re-open but there is a slim-to-none chance it will be before your tickets expire. They know this and they are not about to stick you with tickets you can't use ESPECIALLY if they are not even open. My advice; if you need the money now, dispute with your CC. If not, consider the ticket to be a gift card for now and wait until the park does open. I would be stunned if they don't honor the full value of your tickets in some way.
I know they will honor the value of thr tickets if they expire, but I think the big hang up for OP as well as myself is the logistics. Current policy is you have to exchange in person at a ticket window your expired tickets for new ones. One can assume a reservation system will be in place when they open and will most likely remain for some time. I live in WI. It's not really possible for me to plan a trip to CA to exchange my tickets in person with a hope and a prayer that there will be day of availability the day I show up and for the remainder of my trip since I will not be able to make park reservations prior to coming with expires tickets. That is where people who live far away are seeing some potential issues. Our tickets are pretty much not usable until a reservation system would cease to exist.

Has anyone worked with Get Away Today on park tickets expiring Jan 12, 2021?

It looks like they will refund for $50 per ticket, or apply the full value as a credit. Has anyone heard of other options GAT has made available? I assume they can't exchange for the current year tickets since sales are suspended, correct?

I don't necessarily want the refund since they hold the value paid even if expired. But I'm concerned about not being able to get a park reservation while holding expired tickets. Likewise, if I return them for a refund or a credit, will park tickets be available for sale when needed? Obviously no one knows that part. Just trying to evaluate any options...

Updating my own question after I spoke with GAT this morning. I only asked about tickets with first use/expiring January 2021:

1) They don't have any inside guidance from Disney yet.
2) Most people they speak with are deciding to keep their tickets to see if the Jan 2021 expiration is extended.
3) If you bought the insurance, 100% refund is easy.
4) If no insurance, they can refund for $50 per order (not $50 per ticket as I thought I had read).
5) Or you can receive a full credit with GAT (no fee) and apply to another trip, or future tickets once available.

I know they will honor the value of thr tickets if they expire, but I think the big hang up for OP as well as myself is the logistics. Current policy is you have to exchange in person at a ticket window your expired tickets for new ones. One can assume a reservation system will be in place when they open and will most likely remain for some time. I live in WI. It's not really possible for me to plan a trip to CA to exchange my tickets in person with a hope and a prayer that there will be day of availability the day I show up and for the remainder of my trip since I will not be able to make park reservations prior to coming with expires tickets. That is where people who live far away are seeing some potential issues. Our tickets are pretty much not usable until a reservation system would cease to exist.
I thought I remembered another out of state DISer, @EmJ , who was able to get a refund on her tickets when explaining the above scenario. Maybe she can pop in and confirm? I agree it doesn't seem fair at all (or even very feasible) for those that aren't semi local. You can't expect people to shell out so much money to just hope they can get a reservation.

This, exactly. I feel like the majority of us have been patient with Disney. They didn't know when or how they were going to open, which was totally understandable, and we stood by. Now that it appears (short of a miracle) the closure will extend well into next year, it's time for them offer refunds, extend expirations, or at very least give those of us traveling from a distance some assurances that it will be plausible for us to plan trips with our existing tickets.

It will extend to have the end dates match. My Premier pass "expired" about 2 weeks into the closure, so when the park re-opened, I got the days extended to 7/23 plus the extra month to 8/23. Each month, it extends another month. Right now, it shows valid until 11/23 in the WDW app (disappeared in the DL app and probably will not show back up until the parks have an opening date), and I expect in the next week or 2 that it will extend again to 12/23. I stopped getting the emails long ago (since it is technically should be expired), but that is what I have been told and what I have been seeing. But as I understand it, they keep extending them because of the problem you stated and to ensure that the passes continue to expire at the same time.
Has yours been extending every month and you received an extension in October? I originally got the days extended and then the extra month for no hopping, which put me at 10/27. Then in September, I got extended to 11/27, but I saw no extension by another month in October. By my calculation, my expiration date should be 12/27 at this point.

EDITED TO ADD: ...and I logged in again just to double-check, and in those two hours, my date extended to 12/27. So I guess there was a delay, but at least now it's updating? Though I'm hoping this doesn't mean they skipped a month!

Has yours been extending every month and you received an extension in October? I originally got the days extended and then the extra month for no hopping, which put me at 10/27. Then in September, I got extended to 11/27, but I saw no extension by another month in October. By my calculation, my expiration date should be 12/27 at this point.

EDITED TO ADD: ...and I logged in again just to double-check, and in those two hours, my date extended to 12/27. So I guess there was a delay, but at least now it's updating? Though I'm hoping this doesn't mean they skipped a month!

I just checked mine and it has now extended from 11/23 to 12/23, so they are still extending. Mine has been consistently pushing out a month at a time each month. My pass should have originally expired 3/25 (I think), so kind of crazy that it is still showing as ok. I am up to a total of 20 months with this pass. Oh and yes it does work in Downtown Disney for the AP discounts.

Sorry this has been so frustrating for you. Have you asked to speak with a lead during these phone calls? The CM may try to dissuade you, but if you calmly insist that you wish to speak with a lead, that might help. The front line CM probably can't do more than read the official script to you, but a lead/supervisor should be able to give you your refund. Not that I want to send you back to the phone lines, but it might be worth trying just to see if it works. Whatever option you choose, here's hoping that you get a quick resolution to your problem.
I think it could be hard to go thru to a lead. Most of the reservation and ticketing crew are working from home. It isn't as easy as when they are all in the same office to pass a call off.

I think it could be hard to go thru to a lead. Most of the reservation and ticketing crew are working from home. It isn't as easy as when they are all in the same office to pass a call off.
We've had a few posters state that with polite persistence, they were able to be transferred to a lead and get their refunds. You are right that it certainly isn't as easy as it used to be at the booths, but it is still possible.

I thought I remembered another out of state DISer, @EmJ , who was able to get a refund on her tickets when explaining the above scenario. Maybe she can pop in and confirm? I agree it doesn't seem fair at all (or even very feasible) for those that aren't semi local. You can't expect people to shell out so much money to just hope they can get a reservation.
Just confirming that your memory is correct: it was @EmJ and she did receive her refund over the phone. And the refund came through in a few days. She thought she got through to a lead the first time by chance since the CM was able to do everything right away without having to transfer her to someone else. A few other posters have had similar experiences by asking for a lead.
This is why I suggested that trying to speak to a lead might be worth the effort -- it would be a quicker way to resolve things if it works.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter