Do you go anywhere else?

I have a brother in San Diego that I try to go out and see as often as I can. Last year I went out twice (once with my sisters and nephews and the other, solo for Christmas & New Year's).

I do have to admit that besides that, it's usually to Walt Disney World. I have not been since 2006 and am having severe withdrawals!!!

We go to Disney every other year. We alternate it with a disney cruise and Universal. Last year we did universal for a week staying onsite at royal pacific and doing 2 days at sea world. Universal is great and stayign onsite has the great perk of the front of the line pass.

We've gone to beaches a bunch, Colonial Williamsburg, Springfield IL to see all the Abe Lincoln stuff, Washington DC several times, MD to visit my sister, NJ to visit my Uncle, MN alot to see family and tool around Minneapolis, there's more too.

We just plain like to travel and see places. I'm trying to talk DH into a trip to the Grand Canyon next.

With our kids still so little (DD1 and DD5) Disney World works really well for us right now. This summer we are thinking about a car trip to Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens though. So any info on that would be great!

DH and I really want to travel to Europe and Asia, but it's really just not going to happen right now. We'd really like to go to Disneyland, but DD1 couldn't handle the long plane ride, she gets pretty frustrated, even more so then in the car.

DH and I go to WDW every 1 to 1 1/2 years. He says it's because I love it so much but I know that he feels almost as strongly. Once in a while we go somewhere else. In the last 5 or 6 years we have been to Fort Myers Beach and a few places in the St Pete Beach area. Last Nov. we went to Aruba for a week, compliments of our son. It was very nice but on the second as we floated in the ocean, I said "this is nice but I'd rather be at WDW."

At WDW we have days to relax but we also have days to go to the parks and have fun. We also plan our ADRs ahead of time so there is no "where do you want to eat?" " I don't know, where do you want to eat?"

I thought it would be a while before we returned to WDW (Last trip was 1 year ago) because our DD's wedding is this Summer. But DH decided we could go in the Fall and next thing I knew, he had booked our flights.

Of course, DH does have another reason. He likes to go to Las Vegas every year with DS and as long as we go to WDW regularly, I'm happy to 'let' him go.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Whats there to do up in Lake George, NY? I have heard alot of people say its nice up there, but wondering what there are for activities.
We have considered Niagara, but I have been told that you look at the falls and thats about it lol.
DH wants to go to Bar Harbor, ME. Which I would love, Maine has such a gorgeous coastline. But I dont know if there is much that would entertain the kids. A vacation of not always being on the go like at Disney would be good. But I would want somethign to keep up occupied as well. Something that peaks my kids interests... which truth be told are similar to mine lol
How about Hershey, PA? Anyone have any input on there?

I've been trying to think of where else we want to go, to take my mind off Disney. We all want to go back to Disney!

We went to Colorado last year and had a great time. This summer we are spending a week at Family Camp at my church's camp a few hours away.

On our wish list- Hawaii, Pennsylvania, California (Disneyland), Tennessee, Michigan. I don't really have a desire to travel outside the country. We were just talking about ideas Saturday and cruises came up. I thought I might be afraid of all that water. DH said why don't we just keep with Disney and do a Disney cruise? Hmm! Maybe I could handle it.

DH loves relaxing vacations, he says, but he loves Disney because he doesn't have to drive. He drives truck for work and a vacation that does the driving for him is all right in his book! Even though it isn't very relaxing otherwise! I say the last thing I want to do on vacation is sit and relax...

What makes it hard is my chicken DH. Afraid to fly and thinks he will sink on a cruise:lmao: Not sure what has happened to my brave DH:rotfl: Living in NH, driving really sucks! A cruise would be great if I could convince him. I would love to do a Disney cruise. And DC would be really neat. I guess I just love the palm trees and the sun of FL.:rolleyes: I think he loves WDW, but he just wont admit it. I should work on him for DVC....
I know I can keep us and the 2 kids 9 and 12 entertained for a whole week at WDW. But where else can you go where you can just get up like that and go play??

:love: DH and I went to Washington DC last May and to Disney in Dec. We don't have children but we usually have my MIL and BIL with us. Anyway, when we talk or think about not doing Disney every year we pause for a split second and call each other "crazy!!" So we should book our Oct-Nov trip this week. :banana:

We own DVC, too many points, so we go to WDW often, 2-3 times per year. We've also done multiple vacations to Hawaii. However, my husband and I have a rule that we must take an out of country vacation once a year and we cannot repeat where we go. 2008 was Paris and Disneyland Paris and 2009 is going to be Costa Rica. We alternate who gets to pick the location.

I would say DW is about 25% of our overall vacations. As soon as we leave, I'm ready to go back! We love it (especially me) and go any chance we get,

That said, we also love going other places, too. We love Charleston, Hilton Head Island, Georgetown, SC; Baltimore, MD; Washington DC; any place historic or educational. We've been to Venice, Italy and would love to travel to Europe and oversees more. We would love to go to South America, too.

Basically, DW is fun, relatively inexpensive, and comfortable. Other vacations (especially to other countries) requires you to get out of your comfort zone sometimes and take risks. That's part of the fun and reward, though.

We have considered Niagara, but I have been told that you look at the falls and thats about it lol.

There's a little more to it than that, depending on what you're interested in. We usually do Toronto and Niagara on the same trip, spending a couple days at the falls to do the boat ride, the hike behind the falls, the aquarium, the butterfly house, and then driving up to Toronto to catch a show, hit the Royal Ontario Museum, go to the zoo, check out Casa Loma, etc. On the way up, if it is just adults we hit the wineries (the ice wine everyone raves about from Le Cellier is made in the Niagara region). If we're with the kids and it is summer, we plan at day at Marineland. Toronto is one of my favorite places and it is only a 3-4 hour drive, so we go at least once a year.

This year is Disney. Last year was 4th of July at Williamsburg. The year before was a southern Caribbean cruise. Next year if I am still in business will be Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon & Arches. Last January DW & I spent 2 days at Zion & Bryce Canyon after a Vegas trade show. It was beautiful but cold.

DixieNationalForest.jpg

This thread isn't really about park attractions and strategies, so I've moved it to the Theme Parks Community board. :)

mm have tryied but ..with no sucess :eek: I Think you can call us Disneyholics!!!! mmm anyway I refuse to be cured! :rotfl2:

There's a little more to it than that, depending on what you're interested in. We usually do Toronto and Niagara on the same trip, spending a couple days at the falls to do the boat ride, the hike behind the falls, the aquarium, the butterfly house, and then driving up to Toronto to catch a show, hit the Royal Ontario Museum, go to the zoo, check out Casa Loma, etc. On the way up, if it is just adults we hit the wineries (the ice wine everyone raves about from Le Cellier is made in the Niagara region). If we're with the kids and it is summer, we plan at day at Marineland. Toronto is one of my favorite places and it is only a 3-4 hour drive, so we go at least once a year.

I didnt realize there was that much to it. Thank you for the info! I think I am going to check into that area as far as how much hotels go for and such. I wonder if you need a passport to get into Cananda now?

DaveStroem... that is just beautiful!

Whats there to do up in Lake George, NY? I have heard alot of people say its nice up there, but wondering what there are for activities.
DH wants to go to Bar Harbor, ME. Which I would love, Maine has such a gorgeous coastline. But I dont know if there is much that would entertain the kids. A vacation of not always being on the go like at Disney would be good. But I would want somethign to keep up occupied as well. Something that peaks my kids interests... which truth be told are similar to mine lol
How about Hershey, PA? Anyone have any input on there?

There is lots to do in Bar Harbor and since you are in NH you can hit a lot of other places on the way.

That said we definitely don't do Disney every year - this our first trip this decade. The kids have never been. Some of places we have been in the last 6 years:

Bar Harbor ME/Acadia Ntl Park
Cross Country camping extravaganza from MA to CA along 1-90/CA 1 and I-40 as major roads - 28 states in 28 days - incl 8 national parks (Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, Redwoods, Crater Lake, Grand Canyon, Mammoth Cave, etc.).
White Mountains, NH
Cape Cod, MA
Delaware Shoreline
NJ Shore
Liberty Island/NYC
Greenville ME/Moosehead Lake
Hueston Woods, Ohio
Indiana
Niagara Falls
Lake Erie/Lake Michigan
and more.

My husband wants to do other things in Orlando. He loves the thrill coasters and wants to do Universal. I am fine with Disney!

Lake George is touristy. There is of course a lake for swimming and boating and there are boat rides around the lake which give a history. There are arcades and shopping and lots of miniature golf. Fort William Henry, a Frankenstein wax museum, mountains to hike and lots of picnic places. Great Escape THeme Park and Splashwater Kingdom (6 flags) and Water Slide World. There are theaters in and around Lake George. Not far to the south is Saratoga Springs. There is SPAC which has concerts and ballet all summer, the race track, parks and museums. We live close by but go up to Lake George for day trips every summer.

We are big fans of Colonial Williamsburg. We have also gone to Gettysburg, PA but I think my favorite non-Disney vacation is a beach vacation on the Jersey shore.

Lake George is touristy. There is of course a lake for swimming and boating and there are boat rides around the lake which give a history. There are arcades and shopping and lots of miniature golf. Fort William Henry, a Frankenstein wax museum, mountains to hike and lots of picnic places. Great Escape THeme Park and Splashwater Kingdom (6 flags) and Water Slide World. There are theaters in and around Lake George. Not far to the south is Saratoga Springs. There is SPAC which has concerts and ballet all summer, the race track, parks and museums. We live close by but go up to Lake George for day trips every summer.

We are big fans of Colonial Williamsburg. We have also gone to Gettysburg, PA but I think my favorite non-Disney vacation is a beach vacation on the Jersey shore.

the lake is beautiful. yes, it's touristy, but there's plenty to do. in addition to the above, there is canoing and kayaking and other water activities on the lake. there's also a garnet mine nearby that the kids enjoyed a lot, searching for their own gem stones. the touristyness of the the area is old-fashioned and kitschy. we aren't planning to go back anytime soon, but we had a nice time.

now, has anybody ever been to a dude ranch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter