Do you sell on eBay?

Yes, occasionally when I'm cleaning out clothing and handbags. Just sold a Lilly Pulitzer popover last week. I ordered it this time last year during the pandemic. Loved the print, but not on me.

I sold a ton on EBay, then about 8 or 9 years ago (maybe longer) they changed the rules to where the buyer is never wrong, even when they are lying. I sold a huge lot of legos (45lbs), I had dozens of photos of what I’d sent. The buyer lied, told eBay I sold a bunch of non lego pieces. I protested but eBay said the buyer is always right. She then took all my good lego pieces sent back a bunch of broken “stuff” that wasn’t remotely lego. I not only was out my good legos, but the value she paid, plus my fees, plus the shipping to send them to her and for her to send them back. Which was an extra $150 over the value. I’ve never sold on eBay since.

Used to have an eBay store years back. Then changes came. Buyers were never wrong. It only takes getting burned twice to know there was no backing for sellers and a few bad apples ruin it for the honest ones. I stopped and never went back.

Probably not in 10 years. A former co-worker quit his job to sell on E-Bay. He would buy at garage sales, and sell on E-bay. Never paid over $10 for an item, and he would usually sell an item of that value for $20. He was averaging 30 sales a day. $300 a day is not bad income.

This seems to be pretty popular, if you have the time and patience to hunt for the stuff then it could be profitable as well. I bought some stuff for myself last weekend at the flea market, and I looked on eBay to see the value and realize that they sell they’re pretty well for twice as much as what I paid. I can’t decide if I should keep them or sell them

I have sold on ebay, and it's been a good experience -- but I'm certainly not a regular.
I buy more often than I sell.
This seems to be pretty popular, if you have the time and patience to hunt for the stuff then it could be profitable as well. I bought some stuff for myself last weekend at the flea market, and I looked on eBay to see the value and realize that they sell they’re pretty well for twice as much as what I paid. I can’t decide if I should keep them or sell them
I could see myself doing that in retirement.

I've bought kids' things a couple times -- like once I found a whole rack of fantastic kids' Halloween costumes for .17 and resold them. One thing is, you've gotta have the space to store it all. In the case of the Halloween costumes, for example, I bought them in maybe November, and I had to keep them until the next fall. To do $300/day like your friend, you'd have to have real storage space.

Having a scale would be a huge help. You really need to know the size and weight of the package before you list it.

I used to sell on eBay. I lived in an area where I was able to find lots of brand new, clearanced, overstocked items at the end of a selling season. (The stores had to make room for the new, incoming models.) Or items that just didn't sell well in that area.

For instance, I found about 25 NOAA emergency weather alert radios. Normal price was about $60. I got them on clearance for about $15 each. They sold on eBay for $30.

I had no idea at the time what those weather radios were for or why someone would need them. Then I noticed most of the addresses I was sending the radios to were places like marinas, tornado regions, hurricane areas, etc. Since where I lived, we had none of those and had no need for NOAA radios, they didn't sell here. But, people who needed them liked nabbing a new one half price on eBay.

The hardest and worst things to sell is extremely popular electronic devices like cellphones. The chance for fraud is great. I sold a brand new electronic gadget. I think it was an electronic PDA, when those were really popular. I get a complaint from the Buyer, saying it didn't work and threatening to destroy my 100% positive feedback rating if I didn't take back the item.

I get the item back, and I'm almost positive it's NOT the same, brand new item. It looked like a USED piece of crap. I suspected he exchanged his used item for my new one. But, I hadn't written down or taken a snapshot of the serial number of the item before shipping it out, as that meant breaking the seal on the box and rendering it an open, unsealed item - different from my "sealed, in the box" item.

Back then, I was so new to eBay, that I didn't know threatening a Seller with bad feedback is considered extortion and I could report HIM. It was the days before I had a cellphone camera or digital camera, so I couldn't take a digital photo to send to eBay to show I didn't get a brand new looking item back. So I just took the financial loss and gave him a refund, meanwhile I'm sure he was using the new PDA I had sent him.

Other times, for the popular electronic items, buyers will place a phony bid, just to reveal what the current highest bidder's top bid will be. Then retract their bid to place a bid on different auctions for the same item that they know they have a chance of winning. It would confuse the highest bidders on my auctions to think they were outbid, then see later, no, they are the highest bidders again. Meanwhile, in the interim, they had put in a bid on an other auction, when they thought they had been outbid. If they then retracted their bid, then the next highest bidder (third down) would then be the top bid, and it just caused a mess of problems, as they too, thought they had been long ago outbid. :badpc:

After that, I stuck to housewares and not as popular items which draws the electronic gadget freaks and the accompanying potential for fraud. But, I eventually moved and my sources for items dried up.

Last edited:
YES! We sell quite a bit and have for years. I have the crazy stories to prove it :sad2:

I've been stalked online, harassed every day through eBay messages (FYI: buyers can contact you up to 90 days after a transaction), called vulgar names, etc. You learn to keep all personal and business information *extremely* separate and get some thick skin. With that said, the majority of buyers are fantastic and a joy to deal with. It's usually not the high dollar items that have problematic buyers, it's the $8.99 shirt with free shipping that the buyer hates the color of that gets you called a piece of human scum/garbage/waste everyday for a month + lol

Can we link to our Ebay shops here?
From the guidelines you agreed to when you joined DISboards:

1. FOR SALE
For sale ads are strictly prohibited on any of the DISboards. Anyone posting such ads will have their post deleted. This same policy applies to links to your ebay/auction listings . "For sale" posts includes requests for donations (see below). In addition, "Vote for me" posts are not permitted on the DIS. This includes requests for support in an online contest, sweepstakes, lottery or other event designed to yield personal gain.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter