Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

I think there are huge limitations on what flexibility DVC can offer due to how the system works and the fact it runs at max occupancy. If there are a few weeks where rooms sit empty due to the virus DVC can't create another couple of weeks in the year for those two weeks to be rebooked. If they offer too much flexibility the system will be out of balance for all. This is why they offer travel insurance.

If Disney can close parks and absorb revenue losses, then DVC can do the same. Disney can donate hotel inventory from the cash side to DVC to accommodate for the rebooking. Disney in return, will get tourist spending income, such as meal plans, park tickets, and souvenir to make up those economic losses.

So you don't need to "feel bad" for the large corporations on "where they can get replacement room" from.

If Disney can close parks and absorb revenue losses, then DVC can do the same. Disney can donate hotel inventory from the cash side to DVC to accommodate for the rebooking. Disney in return, will get tourist spending income, such as meal plans, park tickets, and souvenir to make up those economic losses.

So you don't need to "feel bad" for the large corporations on "where they can get replacement room" from.

I don’t think it is as simple as that when you are talking about a timeshare. They can’t just allow people to book rooms for points that are not part of the DVC inventory.

If things get to a point where they decide to allow changes without the holding penalty, and it became widespread, they could suspend banking and borrowing for a few years to keep things balanced..which is allowed.

I think Disney can say "here are 20,000 room-nights" for DVC to use. We were planning to bring in $10 million from those room-nights initially. With the outbreak, they will likely go vacant any way. So we will donate this $10 million worth of room-nights to you, DVC, and write it off as a "business loss" on accounting books. But other Disney department such as admission tickets and restaurants will generate $20 million from otherwise wasted room time. So it's a win-win situation.

With 20,000 room-nights, DVC members can now rebook on regular hotel rooms at Contemporary and Polynesian.

There you go, problems solved.

Well, they really don't need another write off with three international theme parks closed for the virus.

I think Disney can say "here are 20,000 room-nights" for DVC to use. We were planning to bring in $10 million from those room-nights initially. With the outbreak, they will likely go vacant any way. So we will donate this $10 million worth of room-nights to you, DVC, and write it off as a "business loss" on accounting books. But other Disney department such as admission tickets and restaurants will generate $20 million from otherwise wasted room time. So it's a win-win situation.

With 20,000 room-nights, DVC members can now rebook on regular hotel rooms at Contemporary and Polynesian.

There you go, problems solved.

I don’t think that works with timeshare laws. You can’t just add inventory that isn’t already part of the association

As mentioned, we own the resorts and if things happen that force people to lose points, then so be it.

I just hope the scenario doesn’t happen. DVC has shown heart to many people here. Recently a person here was assured her points would not go into holding, many of us were happy to hear that.

I don’t think that works with timeshare laws. You can’t just add inventory that isn’t already part of the association

As mentioned, we own the resorts and if things happen that force people to lose points, then so be it.
I think the cash rooms as replacements would come into play if the resorts would shut down. Disney would have to compensate members if villas aren’t available to stay in at all. Barring the resorts shutting down, I don’t think Disney will do much for members that just get cold feet.

I think the OP should get a doctor's note that precludes travel for the daughter (if possible) and see if DVC will be able to assist.

I think the OP should get a doctor's note that precludes travel for the daughter (if possible) and see if DVC will be able to assist.
I think they would be able to accommodate a limited number of people in situations like that under a normal situation. This isn’t a normal situation right now and they are going to get quickly overrun with requests like the poster’s.

OP, I’d first try to call and see what they can do. If they won’t work with you, try to rent the reservation or the points out if you’re worried about the potential exposure. That’s what I’d do. :)

I think the cash rooms as replacements would come into play if the resorts would shut down. Disney would have to compensate members if villas aren’t available to stay in at all. Barring the resorts shutting down, I don’t think Disney will do much for members that just get cold feet.

I just don’t see how the cash rooms that are not DVC would play any role.

if the DVC resorts were shut down, I see it as an issue for us as owners and not for the Disney company to figure out how to deal with it. At least, that’s how I view it.

That’s why I see they’d move to suspend banking and borrowing as to not overload the system.

But, personally, it won’t come to that so I’m not really concerned. Have 3 trips planned...end of March, May and June and don’t intend to cancel!

As far as I know there is no requirement that the parks even exist in the POS, so Disney or DVD likely have no direct liability.

Rough numbers are that to reimburse members for a month for would be about 60 million. DVC runs on break even so no where for those dollars to come from unless DVD was to fund it t maintain DVCs reputation/sales which at that level does not seam likely

It is a risk that we have all taken by owning.

Hopefully this will end up as an academic argument

There could be some opportunity if DVC/DVD decided to waive use of points they own in a case like that but they certainly wouldn't be required to. It would open up more availability down the road for other owners to book.

As mentioned, hopefully it's just an academic argument.

I think Disney can say "here are 20,000 room-nights" for DVC to use. We were planning to bring in $10 million from those room-nights initially. With the outbreak, they will likely go vacant any way. So we will donate this $10 million worth of room-nights to you, DVC, and write it off as a "business loss" on accounting books.

I'm not following.

Seems like you're talking about some future period where the virus has passed and people want to travel again. If that's the case, they aren't going to donate rooms to DVC just as the general public is trying to re-schedule all of their cancelled or delayed trips.

I am supposed to travel within a couple of weeks and my young teenaged daughter is afraid to travel because she has asthma when she is sick. My points would go into holding and then 60 days out from my end of use year which is October and November. These already have low availability and some dates already gone at our home resort. They are also outside our school breaks. I understand why, but wish this was an option.
At this point deciding not to go is a personal decision for you. It's not as though the federal government has restricted travel within the U.S. That would be much different. We are planning to go to WDW at the end of April. I wouldn't expect DVC to refund the points if we decide to cancel (which we won't unless flights get grounded). It's a tough position for sure, but I understand why DVC can't refund points if someone makes the decision not to go.

Daytime temps in the 80's in Florida and lots of sunlight. Florida should be okay.

I just don’t see how the cash rooms that are not DVC would play any role.

if the DVC resorts were shut down, I see it as an issue for us as owners and not for the Disney company to figure out how to deal with it. At least, that’s how I view it.

That’s why I see they’d move to suspend banking and borrowing as to not overload the system.

But, personally, it won’t come to that so I’m not really concerned. Have 3 trips planned...end of March, May and June and don’t intend to cancel!

I see your point. However, DVC customers are the most loyal Disney Parks customers. Members do not join the hotel just to live there. They want to spend time and money at Disney Parks. I think it is irresponsible for Disney Parks to pretend they have NOTHING TO DO with DVC. If that were the case, DVC would not have sold anything... So if DVC is in trouble because of cancellations, it is my opinion that Disney Parks or Disney HQ should step in and absorb the loss to keep its most loyal consumers coming back to spend more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter