Do you think DVC should be a little more open to people moving dates without penalty because of corona?

There appears to be two cases now in Florida and they are just waiting for final confirmation, both travel related. Until I read this tonight, I was looking forward to my trip again. I wonder what the next few days will bring. Don’t think either were near Orlando though.

I see your point. However, DVC customers are the most loyal Disney Parks customers. Members do not join the hotel just to live there. They want to spend time and money at Disney Parks. I think it is irresponsible for Disney Parks to pretend they have NOTHING TO DO with DVC. If that were the case, DVC would not have sold anything... So if DVC is in trouble because of cancellations, it is my opinion that Disney Parks or Disney HQ should step in and absorb the loss to keep its most loyal consumers coming back to spend more.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. But it bears no basis in the contract we all signed. Legally your DVC membership gives you the ability to book your home resort. And your home resort's membership in the "club" allows you to exchange into other DVC resorts without exchange fees. There's nothing at all obligating Disney or DVC to give you any DVC membership compensation if the parks were to close, or even if there become travel advisories recommending against travel into Florida or California.

There's no chance DVC adds tens or hundreds of thousands of points to the system by refunding tons of late cancelling member stays with points. Although Disney "could" opt to refund cancelling members cash so as not to overburden the system going forward, legally there's nothing obligating them to do so. Only time will tell what actually happens.

Didn’t turn out to be the case in Singapore.
Singapore has one of the highest densities of all countries in the world at 18K+ per square mile, so it is likely not a good comparison to may other tropical areas

Case in Manatee County is allegedly unrelated to travel and thus caught locally.

I can see WDW being shut down- I think the cat is out of the bag and once Cov 19 becomes endemic, they’ll shut WDW as they have elsewhere.

I doubt DVC points will be refunded, as it will be impossible to maintain the system going forward with millions of refunded points.

Hopefully if there is a shut down it will be for a very limited time.

Another downside of a timeshare.

The DVC insurance covers dues only I understand.

Case in Manatee County is allegedly unrelated to travel and thus caught locally.

I can see WDW being shut down- I think the cat is out of the bag and once Cov 19 becomes endemic, they’ll shut WDW as they have elsewhere.

I doubt DVC points will be refunded, as it will be impossible to maintain the system going forward with millions of refunded points.

When can you buy this insurance? And is it cancel for any reason? I’ve tried to find the info and can’t. Haven’t had a chance to call ms yet.

Last edited:
From DVC Website: "Protect your Disney Vacation Club travels by purchasing travel insurance today for $99 for a full use-year of protection!" Go on DVC website and MYDVC and then MYVACATION and you can get all the details. I have never used it but it is certainly worth looking into.

I just cannot see this happening. I think they shut down the Asia parks out of an abundance of caution and because they did not know what they were dealing with. Plus, other governments are involved there. But, since the mortality rate with Coronavirus has turned out to be low as far as pandemic type outbreaks are concerned, I just cannot see Disney shutting down in the US. They may shut some things down like they do during a hurricane if they have staffing issues, but I just cannot see a complete shutdown. Obviously I could be completely wrong, lol, but I am not worried about any of our upcoming travel plans. But also... we are not elderly nor do we have any immune issues. Those groups, however, in my mind, should be concerned in general already. If I were in chemotherapy, for example, I wouldn’t travel to Disney even without Coronavirus.

When can you buy this insurance? And is it cancel for any reason? I’ve tried to find the info and can’t. Haven’t had a chance to call ms yet.

I thought someone had mentioned earlier in the thread that the coverage does not cover pandemics etc?

I thought someone had mentioned earlier in the thread that the coverage does not cover pandemics etc?
You’re right. I read up on it this morning. If you purchased the insurance prior to jan 21, corona related cases are covered. You or a dependent must actually have it or be quarantined. So basically the insurance is useless at this point.

Even if they shut down the parks, they could leave the resorts open for those that want to still come.

My son and his family just got back from visiting my DILs family in Taiwan. Lot more cases there and no travel restrictions in and out of Canada and the state’s so far,

But, yeah, as timeshare owners, we could lose out if something like this comes to pass.

As I mentioned, I’m going on my trips unless the resorts close or 5e airlines cancel my flights!

There appears to be two cases now in Florida and they are just waiting for final confirmation, both travel related. Until I read this tonight, I was looking forward to my trip again. I wonder what the next few days will bring. Don’t think either were near Orlando though.
The two cases are in the Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota area.

Last edited:
If there are enough inquiries to member services, they will at least post some information on their website. I’m sure guest are asking a host of questions. I know the cruise line has been sending out emails to help answer people question and concerns. I’m cruising next month fir a week, followed by a 2 week WDW stay. Fortunately we decided to drive.

I live in Manatee County and work in Hillsborough County. I’m putting Coronavirus in the same category as Swine Flu, Zika, H1N1, and every other “pandemic” that comes out every year. I highly doubt that Disney will close the parks .

You’re right. I read up on it this morning. If you purchased the insurance prior to jan 21, corona related cases are covered. You or a dependent must actually have it or be quarantined. So basically the insurance is useless at this point.
Even if you bought the insurance prior to Jan 21, it will only cover COVID-19 if you have it. It would not cover you choosing not to travel in an attempt to avoid it.

So, I’ve thought about this a lot. What could DVC do in the event this COVID-19 scare results in the closing of parks and/or resorts. Nothing in regards to cancellations and gifting points back to people that can’t use them because of closures or won’t use them because of fear. But, let’s say the real fear impact of this 18 months until we have a vaccine and really understand. Well, they aren’t going to release you from your MF responsibility. But, they could choose to extend everyone’s expiration date by one year (only for anyone that still owns at expiration and is an owner now that is being impacted by this situation. You would still have to pay the MF’s for the additional year.). This wouldn’t actually end up being a huge expense as so many of the contracts would be sold long before expiration — and, it would look really positive in terms of public relations. Just a possibility.

So, I’ve thought about this a lot. What could DVC do in the event this COVID-19 scare results in the closing of parks and/or resorts. Nothing in regards to cancellations and gifting points back to people that can’t use them because of closures or won’t use them because of fear. But, let’s say the real fear impact of this 18 months until we have a vaccine and really understand. Well, they aren’t going to release you from your MF responsibility. But, they could choose to extend everyone’s expiration date by one year (only for anyone that still owns at expiration and is an owner now that is being impacted by this situation. You would still have to pay the MF’s for the additional year.). This wouldn’t actually end up being a huge expense as so many of the contracts would be sold long before expiration — and, it would look really positive in terms of public relations. Just a possibility.

As a DVC member, that would be great - as a shareholder, that would be a breach of Disney's fiduciary responsibilities to me, and I would reap the benefits of the large payout from the class action lawsuit. They aren't going to do that because they have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders. Their contract with us as DVC owners is quite clear - this is our financial responsibility and part of the risks we took when buying in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter