Does FOP make anyone else sick?

Toonses

A little nonsense now and then...
Just curious because I see so many ppl that have no problem with Flight of Passage, but it totally made me super sick. It was completely a result of the 3D as well. Had it been in 2D I would have had no problem, but 3D simply isn't sharp enough to properly trick my brain, and it, apparently, makes me really sick. Like really close to 'protein spill' level. Note that while I obviously do not have iron stomach, I can ride things like Tower of Terror, 7 Dwarves, Dinosaur, Soarin' and Big Thunder with little to no problem, and Everest with a bit of recovery time (the corkscrew needs to have one less screw for me but the big drop is totally worth it lol).

Anyway, out of pure curiosity - am I just a random outlier, or are there are others that have the same problem who simply haven't said anything?

I've had a family member get sick right off the ride. Personally, I was close, but I think that was kept in check my acrophobic response of white knuckling and chanting the mantra of "It's not real. It's not real. It's not real" over and over again for the whole ride.

As I get older, I'm affected by a few things now. But FOP has not been an issue - and I hope it stays that way! Love that attraction! But it is a different kind of motion than those other rides - obviously, you're not moving nearly as much on FOP as TOT, for example. But your brain thinks you are! I understand why it affects some.

No, we've ridden it several times with no issues. I have some minor motion sickness issues and can't comfortably ride Mission Space or the Tea Cups, but I have no problem with Flight of Passage.

As I get older, I'm affected by a few things now. But FOP has not been an issue - and I hope it stays that way! Love that attraction! But it is a different kind of motion than those other rides - obviously, you're not moving nearly as much on FOP as TOT, for example. But your brain thinks you are! I understand why it affects some.

Yeah, but I can absolutely ride Soarin' repeatedly and I used to be able to ride Star Tours and Body Wars with no probs, (I avoided ST this trip after my FOP experience since I heard it was also 3D now). I can also ride Mission Space green, but I've never been able to do Orange. I actually rode that in my early 20's before there was green/orange versions, and yeah - that required recovery time for all of us. Fortunately we were headed into the world showcase after that one. lol

I've had a family member get sick right off the ride. Personally, I was close, but I think that was kept in check my acrophobic response of white knuckling and chanting the mantra of "It's not real. It's not real. It's not real" over and over again for the whole ride.

lol!

Yeah, my mom and I both took a minute getting off the seats. In fact, the next people were coming in, and we had to rush as a result, and we've always been very conscious of getting off rides as quickly as possible.

It made me sick once but only because I was an idiot and had ridden Expedition Everest twice in a row earlier. It messed me up for hours.
For some reason, I can ride most things once with no issue, but a second ride does me in. 🤷🏼‍♀️

I usually have to look away a couple of times during the ride just to stabilize my brain for a second - I'll use the chance to look left or right to see where I am in the room and what's going on. Basically anything stable. :-)

I have also found if I let my body and mind "go with the movement" vs the reaction to fight it/get tense, I can ward off truly bad motion sickness.

It made me sick once but only because I was an idiot and had ridden Expedition Everest twice in a row earlier. It messed me up for hours.
For some reason, I can ride most things once with no issue, but a second ride does me in. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Oh my! I'm only good for one time on Everest with a little recovery and maybe a coke to drink on my way to Dinosaur. :D I'm telling you the corkscrew needs one less screw! lolol

I usually have to look away a couple of times during the ride just to stabilize my brain for a second - I'll use the chance to look left or right to see where I am in the room and what's going on. Basically anything stable. :-)

I have also found if I let my body and mind "go with the movement" vs the reaction to fight it/get tense, I can ward off truly bad motion sickness.

That's a good point about looking away. I didn't do that early on because I'd never been on it and didn't want to miss anything. I definitely was doing it by the end, though. I will say that the cave bit was awesome - yes it was a moment to pause and push back the nausea, but it was also a really beautiful moment. Unfortunately it also gave me false hope the ride was about to end. lol

I'm usually pretty good about staying relaxed and breathing - especially if I feel sick - but yeah, I was kind of just waiting for the ride to be over. If I ended up on it again, I'd probably have to shut my eyes through a good chunk of it.

I’ve ridden it 4x now and every year as I get older it makes me more and more sick. It’s to the point that I don’t think I will do it again next year. Which is unfortunate because it’s such an amazing ride !

FOP makes me super sick. My DH had to half hold me up/half carry me off the ride. I can do coasters w no issues, but spinning rides & simulators mess me up. 🤪

I’ve ridden it 4x now and every year as I get older it makes me more and more sick. It’s to the point that I don’t think I will do it again next year. Which is unfortunate because it’s such an amazing ride !

Oh no! :( Hopefully the other rides aren't a problem so far!

I get it though - if it's making you too sick, it's no longer fun. I will agree that even though I was sick, I could see how amazing it would be if I wasn't sick. It ramped up my frustration, since I knew that had the ride been in 2D I would have been able to enjoy it, no problem.

FOP makes me super sick. My DH had to half hold me up/half carry me off the ride. I can do coasters w no issues, but spinning rides & simulators mess me up. 🤪

I'm both happy and sad that I'm not alone. lol Hey, maybe it just means our brains are harder to deceive! Yeah, I can make stuff up that sounds good. ;) lol

It was def rough getting off the ride for me too, so I feel your pain. Had there not been another line of people waiting to get on (we totally startled the loading cast member when she saw we were still on our seats), I would have taken a few more minutes to recover.

It made my now Fiancee sick. I looked over and I thought she was either going to faint or puke. Luckily, neither happened. This was within the first month it was open and the last 2 Summer's, we have skipped it. She does want to try it again on 2021.

For whatever reason, no - and I have the worst motion sickness ! Star Tours makes me sick as dog, but I'm on Dinosaur and FoP

That spinning dive towards the end gets me. I try to focus on a spot far in the distance, but it doesn’t always work. Not a huge fan of Star Tours either. I won’t do Mission Space orange.

Just curious because I see so many ppl that have no problem with Flight of Passage, but it totally made me super sick. It was completely a result of the 3D as well. Had it been in 2D I would have had no problem, but 3D simply isn't sharp enough to properly trick my brain, and it, apparently, makes me really sick. Like really close to 'protein spill' level. Note that while I obviously do not have iron stomach, I can ride things like Tower of Terror, 7 Dwarves, Dinosaur, Soarin' and Big Thunder with little to no problem, and Everest with a bit of recovery time (the corkscrew needs to have one less screw for me but the big drop is totally worth it lol).

Anyway, out of pure curiosity - am I just a random outlier, or are there are others that have the same problem who simply haven't said anything?

FOP is the first ride that made me feel a little queasy. I don't get that anymore going on it, but I can see how the motion can make someone feel sick.

Yes, I get the same way on FOP. I have to look away several times throughout the ride. I love EE, but the older I get the more motion sickness I get on it. Does anyone know if Rise of the Resistance causes motion sickness??

Last edited:
In a word...yes. I don't think the ride is good enough to justify it. I've been twice and that's probably it for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter