Does FOP make anyone else sick?

I feel a bit uneasy after it, and my head is definitely not 100%. However, I think it's the best ride I've ever been on, and absolutely love it. I however know I could never ride it twice in an hour and frankly probably only once in a day. It's a must do despite how I feel.
Also, I have a headache after watching a movie in 3D, so do not do that any longer.

That said, the orange mission space is about 5 times worse.

Just curious because I see so many ppl that have no problem with Flight of Passage, but it totally made me super sick. It was completely a result of the 3D as well. Had it been in 2D I would have had no problem, but 3D simply isn't sharp enough to properly trick my brain, and it, apparently, makes me really sick. Like really close to 'protein spill' level. Note that while I obviously do not have iron stomach, I can ride things like Tower of Terror, 7 Dwarves, Dinosaur, Soarin' and Big Thunder with little to no problem, and Everest with a bit of recovery time (the corkscrew needs to have one less screw for me but the big drop is totally worth it lol).

Anyway, out of pure curiosity - am I just a random outlier, or are there are others that have the same problem who simply haven't said anything?

I can ride any rollercoaster, but my day is ruined when I ride FoP, the old Soarin or star tours. I always figured the motion on the video wasn't perfectly in sync with the motion on the ride.

Smugglers Run and Rise do not cause me issues, for that I'm thankful!

I don't do well on FoP, unfortunately, though it's not as bad for me as Star Tours. Very few simulator rides completely agree with me. I find I can tolerate FoP okay if I take Bonine before and take a few ginger hard candies just in case the nausea sneaks up on me. It's a fantastic ride, so I like to try to make it work!

Made my husband sick—he can do Soarin and any roller coaster. He can’t do Mission Space or any tight spinning ride like teacups. I do not get motion sick but I had to close my eyes a couple of times as well. He won’t do FOP again

Star Tours absolutely makes me sick. I rode it once, and never again. I do have pretty moderate motion sickness, so i use the patches.

We rode FOP once and it was amazing, no problem at all. I think i got a bit of false confidence because of that. The 2nd time we rode it on the same day, i was on the bottom left of the screen... and i think that's what ruined my experience. I was out of commission for dinner.

I would ride it again though, i loved the ride. But i would request with the CM to get a center screen seat.

Star Tours absolutely makes me sick. I rode it once, and never again. I do have pretty moderate motion sickness, so i use the patches.

We rode FOP once and it was amazing, no problem at all. I think i got a bit of false confidence because of that. The 2nd time we rode it on the same day, i was on the bottom left of the screen... and i think that's what ruined my experience. I was out of commission for dinner.

I would ride it again though, i loved the ride. But i would request with the CM to get a center screen seat.
I've never tried the patches, but I do use these bands. Between my Fitbit, magic band and the motion sickness bands i don't have much room left on my arms.

I think the bands work, even if it's just a psychological effect. I certainly wouldn't want to ride without them.

(Google for psi-bands wristbands from REI)

Also, spaceship earth, the section going backwards with all of the hanging lights on the return to earth, that's a hurl-a-rama for me too.

I was lucky enough to make two Flight of Passage morning fastpasses (last August, different days). First time on, I got nauseous. I was able to get through it and also get some enjoyment by closing my eyes and every few seconds open them briefly so as to simulate still pictures one after another instead of a movie. Second time through, I could keep my eyes open for longer periods of time, more than 3/4 of the duration of the ride altogether.

I think that some folks do markedly worse than others because the "frame rate" in "frames per second" clashes with their brain processing the visual image. All movies and videos have a frame rate. There are some standards, but also some irregular frame rates. got really sick on virtual reality back in the 1990's. It's like a strobe light but the average person cannot consciously distinguish the individual flashes but perhaps his brain is actually reacting adversely. (The so called 24 fps movie is actually projected on the screen as 48 fps, namely flashing each frame twice).

Mission Space Orange (the only version when I first tried MS) was a once and never again experience for me. I can't take the spinning which is a separate topic from the video. I could do the green version perfectly okay without closing my eyes.

Last edited:

I’m prone to motion sickness so always pop a Bonine before I go to the parks. The only time I ever got sick on FOP was the one time I didn’t, and ended up queasy when I got off. I had to go to First Aid for a Dramamine in order to feel ok enough to eat at Tusker House after.

I do use the scopolamine patch, and it still makes me a little queasy, but not enough to not ride it. ST definitely worse for me, and MS is a hard no. Tried the orange because someone I was with insisted it wasn’t so bad (I don’t think she liked me much). Between the motion and the claustrophobia in that.... no more. FoP the least N/V out of those 3. I think the smell of Pandora doesn’t help tho. Kind of a sulphur-y smell. At least for me.

I am not super prone to motion sickness in general, but there are a few exceptions, and it has gotten worse as I've gotten older. The only rides in WDW that bother me at all are Everest, FOP, and MS orange. I haven't tried MS orange since my early 20s, and it was a little rough then. I think it would be much worse now, so I stick to the green side. On Everest, I get a little queasy, but can recover quickly after one time, less quickly after two times...and I wouldn't try more times than that anymore. The first time I rode FOP I did get pretty queasy. I had to sit down and sip a Sprite (and I never drink soda) for a few minutes afterwards. I then rode it again not long after (it was at DAH), and did a little better the second time, but I was still a little queasy. I had read on these boards to watch the rider ahead of you to be prepared for the upcoming motion, and that seemed to help me.

Yes! My DH and I both felt very queasy. However, we rode it on an empty stomach with the exception of a cup of coffee. Next time we plan to eat something light at least an hour before.

YES! Severe motion sickness and it takes me an hour to shake it off! I've never thrown up, but I've been on it several times, and always the same feeling!

As long as I close my eyes a few times during FOP, I don't have issues. Star Tours is far worse for me, I pretty much have to keep my eyes closed the entire time to ride it. Soarin doesn't bother me at all.

Last January was my 4th trip that we rode FoP. It didn't bother me on the other trips, but this time it did make me queasy. Not horrible, but definitely uncomfortable.

any type of motion simulator makes me green to the gills 🤢 I avoid anything that spins,3D motion etc. I'd love to try it, but if I did it would probably ruin my day. So I stay firmly on the ground, wish my family fun and go find a nice, cool, adult beverage.:drinking1

Personally I feel like they need to update the glasses or something like that. When we rode in 2018, we had no problems and I could have ridden it all day. When we went in January, I noticed that the graphics weren't as clear and I was starting to feel a little iffy. Same goes for Star Tours...after a little bit I start to feel iffy. For the record...I did not feel great after riding Smugglers Run either...I'm sure part of that is me getting older but I think the FOP needs some updates.

YES! Severe motion sickness and it takes me an hour to shake it off! I've never thrown up, but I've been on it several times, and always the same feeling!

This is me as well, except it doesn't quite take an hour to recover (yet). I'd happily be blowing chunks as a trade-off if I could be there now.

I’m so happy to hear that I’m not alone! The first time I tried it with Bonine. Nope. Super sick. Second was with Bonine and sea bands. Just as sick. Third time, patch. Worse than the first 2 times! I wish I had just decided after the first one that it was a one and done, but the little I was able to keep my eyes open for made me think I was really missing out. But, I also have been known to make myself carsick while I’m driving, so that should tell you the level of motion sickness I get! 😂

My dad has motion sickness issues and he'll ride FOP, but he says he has to have his eyes closed for most of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter