Dont waste your points at saratoga

Smores feels very strongly about this; two bseparate posts about it. I personally age had he worst bus stuff at AKL.

But others have different experiences, just like not everyone has had the same experience at SSR.

Smores, I would recommend thinking a out a renal car for the future, or even just budgeting for taxis! (Depending on rental rate and your plans, cab could be cheaper)

Because any resort can have long delays for transportation. We once had to wait for the third boat from WL. The family at the front of the line had to wait longer as there was still no room or spot for their child's electric wheelchair. :(

Smores feels very strongly about this; two separate posts about it. I personally age had the worst bus stuff at AKL.

Smores, I would recommend thinking a out a renal car for the future, or even just budgeting for taxis! (Depending on rental rate and your plans, cab could be cheaper)

Again, while I do understand some level of frustration with this scenario, you also need to keep in mind that Disney transportation is complimentary. Also, it comes with no guarantees in terms of efficiencies. While I stand by my previous post that 1-hour transit times are not the "norm", they can and do happen from time to time, especially in peak seasons. If you can't deal with the variability that comes with the territory, then you should not be relying on Disney's complimentary transportation, and rather, should be renting a car.

One last thought... I seriously doubt that most of the people that complain about Disney transporation have much real-world experience in dealing with public transit systems. If they did, they would realize how efficient Disney's system really is and probably wouldn't be complaining. I imagine the average complainer to be someone who constantly drives in the fast lane, riding peoples bumpers, only to get to their destination 2.5 minutes quicker than had they been driving the speed limit. You're at Disney World, on vacation.... Relax! Chat to the person sitting next to you - learn something about what part of the country they are from. Admire the nearby landscaping. Marvel at the details in how well your bus-stop bench is painted, or take pictures of the ornately decorated garbage can that can only be found at Disney World. Maybe I'm the odd one here, but these are the things I do as I'm waiting for the next bus, boat or monorail. Why would I be in a race to stand in a 10 minute "security check" line at the gate, only to wait in a 90 minute line for Space Mountain? When I'm at WDW, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere.
I leave the watch, the schedules, and the worries behind. I'll be reunited with them soon enough.

Again, while I do understand some level of frustration with this scenario, you also need to keep in mind that Disney transportation is complimentary. Also, it comes with no guarantees in terms of efficiencies. While I stand by my previous post that 1-hour transit times are not the "norm", they can and do happen from time to time, especially in peak seasons. If you can't deal with the variability that comes with the territory, then you should not be relying on Disney's complimentary transportation, and rather, should be renting a car.

One last thought... I seriously doubt that most of the people that complain about Disney transporation have much real-world experience in dealing with public transit systems. If they did, they would realize how efficient Disney's system really is and probably wouldn't be complaining.

FWIW DH takes public transportation to work every day, and often uses it in other countries during his work...and he is the driving force (ha) behind renting a car. He was once stuck at DHS for well over an hour waiting and waiting for a bus back to OKW. Well over an hour into the wait, with my aunt who has severe knee problems, an SSR driver finally took pity on the people and let them board his bus. Went all the way through SSR and finally to OKW.

The other people waiting in the line not only missed their ADR at Olivia's, but Olivia's was fully CLOSED by the time they got back to OKW. They had gotten in line for the bus in a perfectly decent, Disney-transportation-sanctioned amount of time to get to their ADR, by the way.

This was our first trip to WDW, it was an awful end to their evening, and he has never trusted the transportation again. Every so often we make a choice to take a bus or whatever, and although it's not always bad...it's never as easy as taking a car. Or a taxi as we've done once or twice.

I think it's worth noting, as the OP has not done so in *this* thread, that they are staying at the Treehouses, which I have heard adds a further complication to the bus situation.

The last time we stayed at SSR (Congress Park) we were actually laughing about the buses because every time we walked across to the bus stop, we would hear a bus coming and *BAM* like magic it would be the bus we wanted. In the 5 days we were there, I do not think we waited longer than 2-3 minutes for a bus. Of course I know that this is not typical - that's why we found it funny.

We all have different expectations and comfort levels. I don't consider any usage of points for DVC resorts a "waste of points". However, we would have a difficult time using so many more points for a stay at GFV or even BLT than the points needed to stay at the same time with the same size villa at OKW, BWV or SSR. For us, the "inflation value" of those points are not worth it for the limited number of points we currently own. For others, they might think a stay at those resorts are worth every last point.

At any rate, our bus experience at SSR was better than those we have had at OKW, BW and AKV.

It is a wonderful thing to offer free transportation. However, it is not for everyone. Just relaxing and letting it all happen whenever doesn't work for me. For 2 years in a row, we have had extensive waits at the Swan and most recently at OKW. Is it a fluke? Maybe, maybe not. We were annoyed enough to give up and we will rent a car in November and I think we are going to love it.

It is a wonderful thing to offer free transportation. However, it is not for everyone. Just relaxing and letting it all happen whenever doesn't work for me. For 2 years in a row, we have had extensive waits at the Swan and most recently at OKW. Is it a fluke? Maybe, maybe not. We were annoyed enough to give up and we will rent a car in November and I think we are going to love it.
And it's not free, it's paid for out of Dues proportional to the formulas used to decide who uses them.

admit to being 'bus adverse' - SSR is what we call a park-less venue - that said we do think it's a very nice resort - if you're going to stay there and do the parks you just need a plan for every park and grab the first bus that comes. If you follow the 'take the first bus that arrives' strategy you'll find yourself more happy with SSR (or course, that's true of any need to take the bus situation - WL, OKW, AK and never NEVER take the bus from GF, BL, BW or BC). Have to admit we would never have bought DVC if all they offered was SSR - after staying at OKW we were not tempted to purchase DVC until we stayed at BC.

We have stayed at SSR many times as it is our home resort and we love it. You can walk to Downtown Disney. Bus times have not been that bad for us.

We have stayed there many times and never had that long of a wait for a bus.

Now as someone pointed out, you are at the Treehouses, that is a different situation completely and would hope that everyone knows that before they book there.

My philosophy at Disney is, the more something bothers you, the more bothersome it becomes.

I never give a thought to waiting on a bus, we just chill and they just seem to always come quickly going right were we need to go.

We all have different expectations and comfort levels. I don't consider any usage of points for DVC resorts a "waste of points".

Well said! This post title should include the bus caveat (if thought to be unique and true about SSR). Of my 10 trips (~100 park visits w/hopper) I've taken a bus to/from a park exactly 3 times... So the reason for this thread would have no bearing on whether or not I'd stay at SSR.

PS. I don't consider SSR a "park-less resort" at all... No more than OKW, Riverside, PO. And since I drive everywhere everything seems about the same in terms of travel time. Heck, as much as I love Downtown Disney I could consider it a park, too!

PS. I don't consider SSR a "park-less resort" at all... No more than OKW, Riverside, PO. And since I drive everywhere everything seems about the same in terms of travel time. Heck, as much as I love Downtown Disney I could consider it a park, too!

We like DTD a lot too and even with a car it's a PITA especially now with all the construction and total lack of parking. The only way we go there now is if we stay at SSR and walk over. The boat option is a joke IMO.

We own at SSR but have only stayed there once. Not because we didn't like it! But I like to try the other resorts too. I have BWV booked for June and BLT for October. If we do spring break I'd like to try OKW--just because we've never been.
My worst bus experience was from BWV(we were visiting from POR) to DD. We waited a while and when it pulled up it was already standing room. I tried to wait for the next one but the family was tired so we got on. Sardines all the way. Terrible. But I am not giving up on BWV. I just don't think we will go to DD this trip since Mouse Gear is comparable and I haven't scheduled any DD restaurants.
Some day we will go back to SSR. We are already down to one kid at home--I asked DH if he wanted to stop Disney since the kids are grown and he just laughed.
Daisyx3

We own at SSR but have only stayed there once. Not because we didn't like it! But I like to try the other resorts too. I have BWV booked for June and BLT for October. If we do spring break I'd like to try OKW--just because we've never been.
Same here. We have AKV, and we stay there a lot, but we do check out others... Next trip we are doing SSR and I am stoked!! I absolutely love the layout, style, and proximity to DTD. Want to check out OKW & BLT after.

Never had your experience at SSR, but I don't travel during peak time, either. Especially spring break or Christmas/New Years week. After the brutal winter we've had, there's no telling how packed Disneyworld has been and is going to be over the next three weeks!

I am excited about the bridge they are building and looking forward to it completion. Just another option for those that complain about the long bus waits. Walk to DD and they buses are flowing regularly.

BWV can be difficult during peak times since that buss is shared by all the Epcot resorts. We only experience long waits once and that was at Christmas. However, the next bus was able to accommodate.

I agree with DH the kids have been gone for 4 years and we still go 3 or 4 times a year.

Why, what is up with the boats? ( honestly, I do not know...only tried them once, going from Downtown, to and from Turf Club - and it was great!)

Well, my comment about the boat to DTD from SSR was a bit unfair. We have only done it once in all the times we stayed there and it's because we had an ADR at House of Blues (a month ago). Normally we would have walked over and taken the water taxi to West Side but because of the extensive construction the Marketplace boat dock has been eliminated and we thought it might be quicker to take the boat directly from SSR.

Boat actually showed up fairly quickly but it was going to POR...empty. Driver said another boat was coming soon and to be patient. Well we waited and waited and waited some more until the same boat came back from POR...empty. By then the dock was JAMMED with people wanting to get on that boat and we were late for our reservation. Very frustrating for us at the time.

Lots of people report that they love this option and we need to give it another chance before declaring it a joke. ;)

Boat actually showed up fairly quickly but it was going to POR...empty. Driver said another boat was coming soon and to be patient. Well we waited and waited and waited some more until the same boat came back from POR...empty.

Well, I doubt an SSR boat was going to POR. POR has it's own boats (yellow flag), as does OKW (green flag). SSR boats have blue flag. Water taxis are red flag.

The SSR route is DtD - SSR - Treehouse dock - SSR - DtD. So the boat you saw was likely going to the Treehouse dock. There are usually 2 boats on the route: one leaving the Treehouse dock at about the same time as one leaving the DtD dock. The two boats are generally at the SSR dock at about the same time. You probably just missed a boat going directly to DtD. (Especially likely if no one was waiting at the dock for the DtD boat when you got there.)

Unless there is some type of problem, there is a boat every 20 minutes. They leave DtD on the hour, 20 minutes past, and 40 minutes past.
They would leave SSR going to DtD at about 10 minutes past the hour, 30 minutes past the hour, and 50 minutes past the hour, give or take a few minutes.

Bus transportation is horrific! 45min to an hour wait for bus going to the park you want. Because there are 4 stops at resort, if you are at last stop (the springs) bus will likely be full and you have to wait for the next one....what a waste of points...or money if you paid cash. Spent more time waiting at bus stop than waiting for rides...

Been to SSR many times and never had these transportation problems. I also think you learned not to wait at Springs for a bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter