"Downgrading" to a Rebel ?

boBQuincy

<font color=green>I am not carrying three pods<br>
Hopefully this little report will be of some value to someone who is considering purchasing a dSLR.

My "downgrade" strategy goes opposite of what most people would consider an upgrade, but this is not the first time I have taken that path. The primary goal here was to reduce weight without losing any capability or image quality. I believe (and hope) that this is exactly what I have done, the next photo outing will show if it worked.

My 30D is not that old and still works just fine, I do not need a new camera so I started looking for one. Isn't that how this group works? ;)
I looked at a 50D, Rebel Xsi, and even a 5D MkII. Price was not the big issue, size and weight were. After reading far too many reports I went for the Rebel Xsi.

The first thing I noticed about the Xsi, after 7 years of carrying D30/10D/30D is the size and weight. This camera is tiny! Those with large hands would probably not like it at all. The next thing is the layout. The Xsi is a great improvement over the previous Rebels, which I did not buy because of the clunky handling. On this model the ISO button is well placed, all the information is in the viewfinder, and it seems as quick and easy to use as the xxD models. The viewfinder seems much larger than previous Rebels and even though it is not supposed to be quite as large and bright as xxD models I can't tell any difference from my 30D.

After an hour of playing around with this camera it felt comfortable to the point that I don't think I would miss any shots due to slow handling. Again, that's a huge improvement over the last Rebel! The only thing I miss from the xxD is the wheel to quickly change exposure compensation, but on the Xsi it only takes pushing a button and turning the top wheel.
The menus and custom functions needed some tweaking, like 2nd curtain flash. I shoot RAW so picture styles are not important to me. Image Quality remains to be seen but I would not expect it to be any less than my 30D or even a 40D. A number of web sites have tested and reported on this and found the IQ to be excellent, even good at ISO 1600.

SD cards have come down in price to less than CF cards, they still seem kinda' small but with 8GB they shouldn't have to be changed often. The IR remote is a welcome feature, it is amazing that Canon has still not included it in the xxD models. So now I need a new tripod clamp, and ReallyRightStuff already has them in flat and L models. The Rebel looks kinda' funny with a 24-105 on it, like the lens is too big for the camera. The 18-55 IS is ok but the sensor resolution has probably far outpaced that of this kit lens by now, to get the most out of the camera will take L lenses.

Again, price was not the main issue and that's a good thing because as I figured, as soon as I got the Rebel home DW adopted it and I had to buy another! ;) Now all we need is a trip to properly test the camera(s), leaf season in October and WDW in December are not that far off! :)

interesting observations..i would be really interested to see some side by side comparison shots with a 40 or 50 d

I just downgraded myself. I had bought a 40D when the rebate was out (plus the $50 for previous Rebel users.)
I hated the weight on the 40D. it felt like a brick and I just couldn't see myself carrying it around all day in the parks, or anywhere for any given time. it was heavy.

so, I sold it and got the XSI. my goodness what a difference! it is as light as a feather compared to the 40D. I can't tell any difference in picture quality yet, but I just got it yesterday.

I have the 40D and the Rebel XT. I love the XT, but thought my sports shots might get a little something 'extra' from the 40D.

Amatuer though I am, I'm just not seeing a noticeable difference in picture quality. After 6+ months, I don't really have a single picture that has "wowed" me.

Frankly, the Rebel suited my needs just fine, and I have been considering for some time now whether I should just sell the 40D.

I should probably put more effort into to some side by side test shots and then make my decision!

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with a Rebel, and I don't know how much more bang for your buck you'll get with an upgrade!:thumbsup2

Wow...I am seriously considering the 50D but the thought of carrying it around France next year is making me think twice...Now I am really confused...thanks,:confused: :upsidedow

I have the 40D and the Rebel XT. I love the XT, but thought my sports shots might get a little something 'extra' from the 40D.

Amatuer though I am, I'm just not seeing a noticeable difference in picture quality. After 6+ months, I don't really have a single picture that has "wowed" me.

Frankly, the Rebel suited my needs just fine, and I have been considering for some time now whether I should just sell the 40D.

I should probably put more effort into to some side by side test shots and then make my decision!

Bottom line - you can't go wrong with a Rebel, and I don't know how much more bang for your buck you'll get with an upgrade!:thumbsup2

I couldn't see any noticeable difference in my pictures taken with the Rebel XT and those taken with the 40D either. in fact, I think my better pictures were taken with the XT. I wish I had just kept the XT, but I gave it to my daughter. but, I love the fact that the 40D and the XSI has a bigger (3 inch) screen which is easier on my eyes. :)
I really believe picture quality is all in the lenses. not the camera body.

I hated the weight on the 40D. it felt like a brick and I just couldn't see myself carrying it around all day in the parks, or anywhere for any given time. it was heavy.

I have an XT and a 40D with grip. I much prefer the way that the 40D feels in my hands, I like it being larger. I think it is a different strokes thing.

The big difference I find in sports shots is the frame per second difference. When your taking shots of a HS baseball game, it can make all the difference in the world.

On Fred Miranda's web site Canon's Rebel Xsi is rated at 9.9, the highest of *any* Canon camera!
The "wisdom of the web" is often suspect but with enough responses there is usually some truth to it.

ok bob just when i was sure i was getting the 50d you have to blow my decision out of the water:lmao:

I'm doing something similar...I'm downsizing from a 1DM2 to a 5DM2. I'll probably use it with the grip most of the time, so it won't be significantly smaller. I am looking forward to having the ability to take off the grip when I want to travel "light."

I thought about getting an XSi as well and for the same reasons. In the end, I knew that I was going to get a 5DM2 and I didn't want to spend the money for still another camera. Maybe next year.

I'm hoping that the micro 4/3 idea works out and that they get some better cameras out there in the next few years. I'd like to use that as a mini-option.

ok bob just when i was sure i was getting the 50d you have to blow my decision out of the water:lmao:

Yup...Me too...BUT I think he has just won me over. After sleeping on it last night, I WANT the XSi....I knew there was a reason I was holding back for so long. It was not the money, it was the size.

Yup...Me too...BUT I think he has just won me over. After sleeping on it last night, I WANT the XSi....I knew there was a reason I was holding back for so long. It was not the money, it was the size.

There is one thing that I thought that was just wrong on the 40D.

The on/off switch on it is just AWFUL.

I would have to carefully take my finger nail and slide the teeny little switch down or up to the on/off position. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to, but I know my DH with his big fingers and chewed off fingernails would have a time with it.
at least on the Rebels it is on top and easy to use.

This XSI fits my hands perfectly. I have zero regrets selling my 40D and going with this one. :thumbsup2

my biggest pros for the 40/50d are the speed and the better focus. the 40 d is ok in my hands but could be a little bigger than my ideal.
my biggest pro for the xsi is the size, i really find the rebel xt to fit my hands perfectly and the lighter for me with my shakes the better. if only they had made it as fast as the "d"s it would have been a no brainer for me since i could have gotten the xsi body and a low light lens that i really need more than the new body for the price of the 50d. however maybe with the better iso i wouldn't need the low light lens so much... right now i am basically stuck at 400 iso which really is not close to enough for my lenses since only my 50mm is better than f4 and i hate that 50mm lens with a passion since i never get a shot i like with it:rotfl: well at least i can wait till the 50d comes out and see how it stacks up with the xsi

There is one thing that I thought that was just wrong on the 40D.

The on/off switch on it is just AWFUL.

I would have to carefully take my finger nail and slide the teeny little switch down or up to the on/off position. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to, but I know my DH with his big fingers and chewed off fingernails would have a time with it.
at least on the Rebels it is on top and easy to use.

I have big fingers and no nails and have absolutely no problem working the on off swich on it, you put your finger on it and move it up or down :confused3

I do have trouble getting the rubber parts out to put in the remote release, but that's the price I pay for being a nail bitter.

I have big fingers and no nails and have absolutely no problem working the on off swich on it, you put your finger on it and move it up or down :confused3

I do have trouble getting the rubber parts out to put in the remote release, but that's the price I pay for being a nail bitter.

Really? I always found it rather annoying having to reach into that little groove and move the switch up and down. :confused3 I liked it much better being on top like on the Rebels. this just seems like a weird place to be putting the power switch. :)
canon40d.jpg

Really? I always found it rather annoying having to reach into that little groove and move the switch up and down. :confused3 I liked it much better being on top like on the Rebels. this just seems like a weird place to be putting the power switch. :)
canon40d.jpg

honestly, I just put my finger on it, apply a little presure and it moves up and down. I don't really understand the reasoning for the two different on possitions, but that has never been an issue, just a thing that makes you go hmmmm.

The only time I ever use the on/off switch is when I'm cleaning the sensor. I don't see any point in turning off otherwise. It'll do that on it's own when I quit using it.

The only time I ever use the on/off switch is when I'm cleaning the sensor. I don't see any point in turning off otherwise. It'll do that on it's own when I quit using it.

Actually when I turn mine off is when I am changing the batteries or the CF card, or if I know I won't be using it for a week or so.

I am buying the Canon XSi...

NOW, for the lens...

I wanted the Canon 18-200 but since it's not USM, what does everyone think of the Tamron lens? Sigma?

Bob, thank you so much for writing this thread. I knew there was a reason that I was holding back in buying the 50D when it came on sale last week as a pre-order with the 18-200 for $1849...(reg price $2049)...I knew there was something but I could not put my finger on it.

I was worried about the weight of it and carrying it around Europe and WDW...I can't wait to get this camera...I am sure I will love it.

Sam, you WON'T regret it! I'm sure the Rebel will be a comfortable size for you to carry around Europe. The 40D (and I expect the 50D) is big and heavy, and while that doesn't generally bother me, I do carry my monopod every time I want to use the 40D!

MASON, I think maybe that's part of my "quality" concern. My baseball shot-taking was much more on spot/spontaneous/flexible with the Rebel XT; I am stifled a little using a monopod with the 40D.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter