"Downgrading" to a Rebel ?

The only time I ever use the on/off switch is when I'm cleaning the sensor. I don't see any point in turning off otherwise. It'll do that on it's own when I quit using it.

i turn mine off everytime i change a lens but if you never turn it off maybe that is a "batteries ran out" rather than the auto turn off feature;) the fancy pants one might be different but the sleep mode on the rebel comes off when you depress the shutter so if i left it on all the time i'd have lots of weird photos ie, insides of bathroom stalls etc.

Sam, you WON'T regret it! I'm sure the Rebel will be a comfortable size for you to carry around Europe. The 40D (and I expect the 50D) is big and heavy, and while that doesn't generally bother me, I do carry my monopod every time I want to use the 40D!

MASON, I think maybe that's part of my "quality" concern. My baseball shot-taking was much more on spot/spontaneous/flexible with the Rebel XT; I am stifled a little using a monopod with the 40D.

I don't know, I use my mono everytime I shoot baseball with the 40D, perhaps I am just used to it at this point.

Here is a quick example, I like this one because of the bend in the metal bat

297708341_FVAcJ-L.jpg

Lots of examples here http://gregghall.smugmug.com/Baseball 08/460138

i turn mine off everytime i change a lens but if you never turn it off maybe that is a "batteries ran out" rather than the auto turn off feature;) the fancy pants one might be different but the sleep mode on the rebel comes off when you depress the shutter so if i left it on all the time i'd have lots of weird photos ie, insides of bathroom stalls etc.

Mine turns on automatically when you press the shutter. I haven't had much of a problem with this. I regularly get 1,000 shots off a single battery charge and very few of those are of bathroom stalls.

What is the max shutter time with the Rebel? I have been trying to find some numbers, but the only one I have found is 30 sec max without a remote. Any takers?

10ded

For several years I used a Canon EOS1 film camera which is quite heavy but I was used to it. When I bought the Digital Rebel I was really unhappy at how light it was. I went out and bought the battery pack to bulk it up. When I bought my XTi I automatically bought the battery pack. I am used to the weight and carry it everywhere.

I would love to upgrade to a Digital EOS camera. :lovestruc

the xti is an eos camera so you have achieved your desires

As for the weight of the camera, I have found out it is more the supplied strap than anything. They are not very good at all, so I went out an purchased a promaster neoprene strap (absorbs the shock when you walk around). I carry an XTI, battery grip with 2 batteries and the 24-105L lens (about 3.5 to 4 pounds) and it was amasing how much of the shock this strap absorbed and how much longer I can carry this set-up. I am assuming that the 40D 50D strap has no give either, so investing in $20 for a good strap that has some give when you walk might be a cheap solution.

Sam, you asked about lenses,
I really loved my 18-128 Sigma as my XT walk around. I bought it used on eBay and it worked perfectly for 1 1/2 years, then I had some zooming problems (which I think has to do with sand/beach...)

So I needed to fix that or get a new....CAMERA....which is in part how I ended up with the 40D with the kit Canon lens 28-135 IS. :rolleyes1

Anyhoo...I'm still a big fan of Sigma lenses, use a Sigma as my zoom. Sigma has released the 18-128 in an "IS" format, check out the reviews and see if it fits your needs!:wizard:

Finally got the Xsi out of the house and on a trip. This is one of my grandnieces, taken with a Xsi, 18-55 kit lens, ISO 800, no sharpening or noise reduction. I think I will keep the Rebel (and the grandniece).

vic_0051.jpg

Finally got the Xsi out of the house and on a trip. This is one of my grandnieces, taken with a Xsi, 18-55 kit lens, ISO 800, no sharpening or noise reduction. I think I will keep the Rebel (and the grandniece).

vic_0051.jpg
bob is that the is or not is 18-55( isn't the is version the kit with the xsi ???)

bob is that the is or not is 18-55( isn't the is version the kit with the xsi ???)

Oops, forgot to mention that, yes it is the IS version (the shutter speed for this was 1/4 second at f/5.6). The camera with lens was about $35 more than the body alone, the lens was too cheap to pass up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter